[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What horror films have the absolute best effects?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 9

File: Monsters (2).jpg (1MB, 2500x1640px) Image search: [Google]
Monsters (2).jpg
1MB, 2500x1640px
What horror films have the absolute best effects?
>>
>muh practical effects

This looks like shit, Tremors aside.
>>
>>87826059
You
>>
>>87825947
Any John carpenter movie that uses animatronics.
>>
>>87825947
Melvilles mobt Fuck
>>
Lovecraftian horror films
>>
The Thing is by far the best
>>
The Beyond
>>
>>87825947
All of those except The Thing, Tremors, and The Fly look like shitty toys. This is why I don't take nostalgiafags seriously when they try to say animatronics look better than CGI on average.
>>
>>87825947
Which film is that above Killer Klowns from Outer Space?
>>
File: the hand of john barnett.jpg (127KB, 764x1053px) Image search: [Google]
the hand of john barnett.jpg
127KB, 764x1053px
>>
>>87826226
I think you mean From Beyond.
>>
>>87825947
From Beyond still gives me nightmares. Is The Stuff on the list? I dont see it might have missed it but it had some good scenes also.
>>
What is a horror film where a boy falls in love with a lovecraftian abomination. Unable to confess, he is gifted with by a kafka ex machina with the abomination’s phone number. Never minding the strange area code, he immediately calls it, and is overjoyed to hear an earsplitting fart noise. But, the next day, when he recounts the previous day’s eldritch rituals to the abomination, it only looks at him with a mindbreakingly horrifying expression. After some investigation, he finds out that the abomination he called is not the same abomination he fell in love with. In fact, it doesn’t exist in this universe at all. It is the monster's alternate universe counterpart, who has chosen the MC’s own AU self as a vessel, who too is blissfully unaware of its designs. Hijinks ensue as the two strike up a deal to give each other their darkest, most private secrets in order to equip the other with the weapons they need to conquer the heart of their other selves. While the two chase their respective bonds in eternal damnation, DRAMA ensues as they begin to form psionic bonds with each other instead and question the NATURE of MYTH.
>>
>>87826555
From Beyond is basically a comedy though
>>
Names of the movies?

I only recognise a few of them. I'm about to watch The Fly, want some more
>>
>>87826709
There are a couple I don't know, but from top to bottom left to right:

???
Basket Case
Return of the Living Dead
Pumpkinhead
???

Ghoulies
Terrorvision
Tremors
Gremlins
??? (I wanna say Tales from the Darkside)

The Deadly Spawn
???
The Fly
The Thing
???

???
???
Xtro
Evil Dead 2
Twilight Zone: The Movie

Killer Klowns from Outer Space
Little Shop of Horrors
House?
From Beyond
Dead Alive/Braindead
>>
>>87825947
Left to right top to bottom

1. ?
2. Basket Case
3. Return of the Living Dead?
4. Pumpkin Head
5. ?
6. Ghoulies
7. ?
8. Tremors
9. Gremlins
10. ?
11. ?
12. ?
13. The Fly
14. The Thing
15. American Werewolf in Paris
16. ?
17. In the Mouth of Madness?
18. ?
19. Evil Dead
20. Twilight Zone the Movie
21. Killer Klowns
22. Little Shop of Horrors
23. Peter Jackson movie I cant remember the title of
23. From Beyond
24. ?

Those are my guesses.
>>
File: Poltergeist.jpg (247KB, 1397x777px) Image search: [Google]
Poltergeist.jpg
247KB, 1397x777px
this really spooked me
>>
File: the gate.png (351KB, 1024x575px) Image search: [Google]
the gate.png
351KB, 1024x575px
The Gate was another one I would add.
>>
>>87826968
17 is Hellraiser

10 I'm pretty sure is Big Trouble in Little China
>>
>>87827182
Thats right. I was torn between the two. I kept picturing a hall way scene in a mental hospital and couldnt decide which it was.

Have been meaning to rewatch BTiLC and didnt even consider it but it had some great effects for the time. I still love when the one guy expands and blows up.
>>
>>87826930
???
Basket Case
Pumpkinhead
Rawhead Rex

Ghoulies
Terrorvision
Tremors
Gremlins
Trouble in little china

The Deadly Spawn
???
The Fly
The Thing
An American Werewolf in London

???
???
Xtro
Evil Dead 2

Little Shop of Horrors
one of the creepshow movies
From Beyond
Dead Alive/Braindead

Filled in some more don't know the last 4.
>>
>>87827274
yeah, big trouble is great. I think it's on netflix
>>
>>87827402
>The Deadly Spawn
>???
>The Fly
Monster In The Closet. Old Troma movie, pretty awesome.

and the one left of Xtro is on the tip of my tongue but I can't fucking remember. It sucks and I've been looking at it for like 10 minutes.
>>
>>87827402
Spookies belongs there.

>???
???
Xtro
>>
>>87827574
I always remembered seeing previews for Monster in The Closet back during (dating myself here) the old USA network Saturday Nightmares block.

Going to dig it up and give it a watch.
>>
>>87826968
>15. American Werewolf in Paris
You're retarded.
>>
File: relaxnigga.gif (997KB, 500x700px) Image search: [Google]
relaxnigga.gif
997KB, 500x700px
>>87827794
Sorry I meant London. It was mistake settle down.
>>
>>87827734
Now the USA network is nothing but a bunch of really generic shows about guys in suits. Literally all their shows are that.
>>
>>87827880
They are definitely trying a new direction. I guess WWE was only going to carry them so far. I have fond memories of the Saturday Nightmares and Cartoon Express. They used to play stuff like Class of Nukem High on Up All Night and TNT later had Monster Vision. Seems like the family channels are the only ones that do those kinds of blocks and marathons anymore. I was just talking to someone about Comedy Centrals old Christmas in July thing they did where they would play a of the old Christmas SNLs.
>>
>>87827402
>one of the creepshow movies
Nah, definitely not Creepshow. I'm like 90% sure it's from House (not the Japanese one).
>>
>>87828209
You are correct its from house.
>>
>>87827574
Hellraiser, you fool.
>>
File: tftckorman09.jpg (91KB, 776x601px) Image search: [Google]
tftckorman09.jpg
91KB, 776x601px
>>87828209
You're right i confused it with S2E13 "Kormans Camality" from Tales of the Crypt my bad they don't even look alike don't know how i messed that up.
>>
isn't 1 Fluffy the Crate Beast?
>>
>>87828754
>Fluffy the Crate Beast
It is, but it threw me off because the image is not a scene from the movie it's a picture of a statue of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CbhyFufQYY
>>
>>87828570
Fuck yes, thank you for that. It was legit annoying me.
Ofcourse. It's the dumb monster from Hellraiser that makes no sense and no one remembers.
>>
I'm about to watch The Fly and then afterwards one of these: the beyond, xtro, basket vase, dead alive

Which one should I do? Other suggestions?
>>
>>87828861
That was honestly my favourite monster in the movie. I'm really sad that it barely got any screen time at all and no explanation
>>
>>87828916

From Beyond is my favorite of that list and unlike the lovecraft shit poster that is an actually lovecraftian movie.
>>
Creepshow (1982)
Basket Case
Pumpkinhead
Rawhead Rex

Ghoulies
Terrorvision
Tremors
Gremlins
Trouble in little china

The Deadly Spawn
Monster In The Closet
The Fly
The Thing
An American Werewolf in London

Spookies
Hellraiser
Xtro
Evil Dead 2

Little Shop of Horrors
House (1985)
From Beyond
Dead Alive/Braindead

Alright we got the whole list then.
>>
>>87829030
Now we need more. The autism demands it.
>>
>>87828916
>dead alive
basket case and dead alive are the most fun. xtro and the beyond are kinda boring.
>>
>>87825947
>American Werewolf in London

only good effects were the transformation sequence, the actual wolf looked funny desu

also the best is obviously The Fly and The Thing, specially The Fly
>>
>>87826930
top right is Rawhead Rex. Use to scare the shit out of me when I was a kid but I loved being scared so irented so many times i tore th etape up and the movie store had to throw it away lol
>>
Lovecraftian films are spooky and weird. Recommend me some.
>>
>>87828947
"the Cenobites? Uncle Frank? Weak shit, my favorite Hellraiser design is the ceiling monster."

You're a weird dude.
>>
nobody has posted Critters im disappointed
>>
>>87829363
Every time I think of Easter I think of Critters.
>>
>>87829399
Critters 2 was a special movie
>>
>>87829334
Frank and the Cenobites were too human for me I guess. I liked how grotesque and inhuman the ceiling monster was. Also something about the scene where it chases whats-her-name down the hallway scared the shit out of me
>>
>>87827039
To be honest, this reminded me of the Muppet show.
>>
>>87827734
>Monster in The Closet
I just watched it and it is the dumbest movie i have ever watched in my life. The closet monster has the whole world shaking in it's boots because it can't be killed by conventional weapons and after stealing a handsome white man and running away with it humanity proceeds to destroy all closets which are it's refuge to stop it and then it just drops kind of dead while wandering that's it. I wish i was making this shit up.
>>
>>87831842
Oh shit i wasn't finished with the movie just yet. It dies because it couldn't fit itself and the handsome white man in a closet and it didn't want to live without him so it kept wandering because of it.
>>
>>87828916
Which version of The Fly? Both are incredible. Original has a better cast and a more tragic story whereas the remake has those great effects.

Be aware most of the movies you mentioned are pretty much horror comedies with the exception of The Fly

When you get the chance watch.
Bad Taste
Re-Animator
Frankenhooker
Brain Damage
Fright Night
Transylvania 6-5000
Bubba Ho-Tep

All horror comedies
>>
>>87831842
Thank you for saving me the trouble. It seemed scary as a kid but god damn if that doesnt sound like Troma does Monsters Inc.
>>
>>87831924
No problem, i just wish i could get 90 minutes of my life back.
>>
>>87829030
>Creepshow (1982)
Not as good as I remember but still alright
>Basket Case
fun stuff
>Return of the Living Dead
amazing.
>Pumpkinhead
pretty good
>Rawhead Rex
honestly. It was shit
>Ghoulies
Not very good. I'd say the sequels are more entertaining movies but the whole series is crap
>Terrorvision
Pretty crappy. Not very funny. Great monster though.
>Tremors
It's pretty good.
>Gremlins
Classic
>Trouble in little china
This isn't even horror
>The Deadly Spawn
crappy enjoyable flick
>Monster In The Closet
another crappy slightly more enjoyable flick
>The Fly
Every Fly movie that is not a sequel is great.
>The Thing
Best John Carpenter film. Arguably the best science fiction film of all time
>An American Werewolf in London
best werewolf film of all time next to The Wolfman (1941)
>Spookies
not a good movie
>Hellraiser
I think it's overrated but it's still decent
>Xtro
have no seen yet
>Evil Dead 2
Fuck you. If you're going to recommend the sequel then recommend the far superior non slapstick original film.Fuck your one liners. Also what kind of retard would only watch the second one anyway.
>Twilight Zone: The Movie
Only 2/4 segments are actually any good.
>Killer Klowns from Outer Space
classic
>Little Shop of Horrors
both are good
>House (1985)
underrated
>From Beyond
good movie
>Dead Alive/Braindead
arguably the goriest film of all time
>>
>>87829141
>only good effects were the transformation sequence, the actual wolf looked funny desu
The actual wolf looks great though.
>>87829399
Critters is trash. Even Raphael from TMNT said so.
>>
>>87832129

Im not advocating putting it on any list. I just said Easter reminds me of the flick from the sequels opening.
>>
Are we ever going to get a blu ray reprint of Dead Alive? They were basically shelf warmers when they came out but I wasn't really watching horror movies at the time. Now it's out of print and I'd love to add it to my collection. Also why the fuck does it not have a making of documentary? All those crazy messy effects. I'd easily watch 2 hours of them showing me how they made that shit. I;m sure they have plenty of documentaries for those boring ass Lord of the Rings movies. Why not Dead Alive.
>>
>>87831909
I've seen Re-Animator and Bubba Ho-Tep, both are pretty good

Also I just realised The Blob is missing from the list
>>
>>87832697
It was probably intentional since the Blob is shit. At least the 80's version is. Original is pretty good. Even has a criterion release.
>>
File: crooked.jpg (29KB, 750x422px) Image search: [Google]
crooked.jpg
29KB, 750x422px
I really liked the Crooked Man from the Conjuring 2. The nun was cool too
>>
>>87832817

The 80's blob is great.
>>
>>87832927
Conjuring movies are shit and James Wan is a hack. Also is that Crooked Man CGI? Were they really that fucking lazy? They couldn't just use makeup and some molds? What a waste of money.
>>87833041
It really isn't
>>
>>87833436

It really is.
>>
File: the-gate-vestron.png (192KB, 817x468px) Image search: [Google]
the-gate-vestron.png
192KB, 817x468px
>>87827108
How did they do the effects for the demons? I wanted to say stop motion but their movements were way too smooth-looking.
>>
Day of the dead
>>
>>87833436
The Crooked Man isn't CGI. He's played by Javier Bodet. He only looks like CGI because he's really good at doing weird movements and much of his stuff is reversed footage to heighten the inhuman qualities.
>>
File: 1493548745961.jpg (7KB, 250x241px) Image search: [Google]
1493548745961.jpg
7KB, 250x241px
>>87833436
>Conjuring movies are shit and James Wan is a hack. Also is that Crooked Man CGI? Were they really that fucking lazy? They couldn't just use makeup and some molds? What a waste of money.
man...your opinion is shit on so many levels
>>
>>87833512
really good time consuming stop motion.
>>
>>87833573
The Conjuring movies are shit though. He wasn't wrong.
>>
>>87833927
Explain why then. Of all the horror movies i've seen, they were the most engaging, memorable, and entertaining. They have the best production level, acting and sound design, effects and cinematography. Since i've seen them i am still trying to find a horror movie that i'd like more and no success so far.
>>
>>87834082
i'm not one of the previous guys but the conjuring movies are shit. They have a constant state of tension and also a jumpscare every few minutes. almost every single moment you expect something scary/sudden to happen and most of the times it actually does. Paradoxically this removes the suspense and make the film pretty boring.
the powers of the entities/ghosts/demons/whatever are pretty random, ranging from strong to weak as the script demands it. Also they are really threatening, not really harming anyone, except in some flashbacks. Nor are they a creepy disturbing presence as they manifest themselves in the least subtle manner ever from the very start of the movie.
The characters are either innocent families that posses the power of love, wise altruistic ghostdemonhunters that don't need no religious authority and silly skeptics.
the production quality is good, on par with the budgets, the effects and cinematography are decent, though they don't really help the narrative.
Wan knows how to make jumpscares, horror movies not so much
>>
>>87834082

what >>87834568 said.

Wan is a filthy gook. Dead Silence and the Insidious films are also shit.
>>
>>87834082
>Of all the horror movies i've seen, they were the most engaging, memorable, and entertaining.
Way to go. You've seen a total of 3 horror films.
>>
>>87834568
I wouldn't say they have a constant state of tension, only after half of the movie or so. I don't know why but the jumpscares in these movies feel better than in most other shit out there. And there aren't that many, let's be honest. Even the ones that are, aren't really jump scares in the general sense. A typical jump scare is usually a quick cut to something scary or a very loud noise after a long silence, but in the conjuring, when a jump scare happens the camera tends to linger on it for a bit and the sounds happen more often. I have no idea how the state of tension "removes the suspense and makes it boring" for you - its one of my favorite parts about the movie - it keeps me glued to the screen.

The powers of the entities do vary, but because of how they all died/got possessed. The nun is literally a powerful demon so it makes sense that it's super powerful.

>not harming anyone
Physical harm isn't something that gets me excited in horror movies with ghosts/spirits. In gore movies, sure, but here they cause mental/psychological harm. Look what they are doing to the families and their relationship with the possessed person, or even to the exorcist couple.

>The characters are either innocent families that posses the power of love, wise altruistic ghostdemonhunters that don't need no religious authority and silly skeptics
I mean here you are just doing what cinemasins is doing - finding flaws where you want there to be flaws. They are normal families - so that's bad ? And the exorcist couple is inspired from real life...

>the effects and cinematography are decent, though they don't really help the narrative
they play a huge role in the immersion and atmosphere, why do you say that ?

We must have different tastes i guess. Where you see flaws i don't really, i find those memorable and unique (even though the movies inspire from various older movies). I will agree that the Insidious franchise is bad, compared to the conjuring i don't like it.
>>
>>87825947
>effects
But your grid is exclusively puppets, so which is it?
>>
>>87835384
your face is a puppet. oh fuck goteem.
>>
>>87835384
practical effects are a thing

are you retarded?
>>
>>87835597
Not a difficult concept here. Puppets are a subset of PFX.
>>
>>87835096
you do make good points and in the end it's just personal taste
Wan's jumpscares are better than what most people do today, but are still obvious. In what i thought was conjuring 2's best moment the woman looks at the painting of the demon nun and is turning on and off the light, while the nun is transitioning between the 'real' ghost and the painting. while this is happening you are waiting for a jumpscare which comes in the end, and in my opinion ruins the scene. This lack of unpredictability is what makes the movie boring and manages to distract from it's good part. They are by the number movie. While the jumpscares are not totally out of place, the films bombards you with creepy imagery, loud noises, special effects until things that should be out of the ordinary almost appear mundane.
As far as i can recall the demons have no real reason to manifest themselves like this as they actually posses people which in the end is their objective. This approach just takes so called poltergeist cases and exaggerates them until they reach ridiculous levels.
also in the conjuring 2 there is that scene with the kid going from the bed to look down the hall, which he does numerous times. it is obvious something is about to happen yet the scene prolongs the event almost irrationally. that can also be said about th entire movie.
Maybe it's because i'm not a big fan of ghost movies, but i just can't appreciate the conjuring series.
as i said it's all down to personal taste, but i like there to be a palpable threat, either physical or psychological. Also i like apparitions to be more subtle. for example i really like the innocents and though ghostwatch was good and ingenuous but overdid the ending. as a kid i like poltergeist but now i don't think it's that impressive
Thread posts: 84
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.