[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Book!Hammond vs Film!Hammond

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5

Why was Hammond such a nice guy in the film?

Seriously, he's basically spotless. His biggest mistake in the film is his inability (or unwillingness) to take care of Jurassic Park's intrinsic flaws. Aside from that, he's a great human being, thoughtful, kind, and imaginative.

In the book, he was a scumbag. He berated his employees, blamed everyone else for his own failures, and basically saw himself as powerful enough to bend Nature to his will. At the very end of the book, he even curses his "beloved" grandchildren and plans to build Jurassic Park all over again. It's oddly poetic that Nature killed him just as he began to consider the possibility of doing it all over again.

But again, in the film, he's a kind eccentric who loves his grandkids. I know that Crichton worked on the screenplay for this film with Spielberg (hell, there are waaaay more lines in the movie taken directly from the book that you would suspect)

Did they do just to make Hammond more likable for audiences? It seems somewhat gross that the true villain of the book (yeah yeah, Chaos Theory, I know) gets cleaned up to such an absurd degree for the film.

It really does ruin Crichton's whole "men messing with Nature are bad guys" theme when the man messing with nature isn't really that bad of a guy.
>>
>>87781303
Also, forgot to mention that in the movie his whole "Don't forget who Jurassic Park is for: the children" is genuine, whereas in the book he's just another greedy fuck who wants to charge exorbitant prices.

That was probably the most shocking change. Book!Hammond despises children on some level
>>
Spielberg's movie wasn't really about the perils of messing with mother nature. It was about Sam Neill hating children, and by the end of the movie hating children less. Why keep Hammond as the "bad guy" if the message of the story is being changed?
>>
>>87781361
Also

Movie Hammond: This park is not just for the ridiculously wealthy.

Book Hammond: We're here to make money. Lots and lots of money!
>>
If the movie were exactly like the book then it would be a literal 10/10. I wanted to see rich asshole Hammond in the film, the helicopter scene in the beginning, the rocket launchers, and the little girl being attacked by the sink on the beach that we see in Lost World. The movie would probably be 4 hours if it followed the book, but I think it would be worth it T B H.
>>
IIRC Speilberg said he found it unbelievable that an eccentric billionaire who wanted to open a dinosaur park money pit would be so vile instead of a sort of willy wonka-like figure.
>>
You already have other characters representing greed. Why not also have a character exemplifying dangerous naivete?
>>
Because Jurassic Park is a kid's movie and making him grandfatherly is more comfy
>>
>>87781303
Well I guess Spielburg didn't want him to be a cliche evil businessman and pushed that off on the Lawyer and Nedry to a degree.
Hammond's point then becomes about how you can still lead to ruin and disaster even if you're doing it for completely innocent and noble intentions
>>
>>87782397
This, the movie was expensive and they didn't want to alienate family audiences so they dialed Hammond back.
>>
>>87781303

Attenborough was simply too nice of a guy to play a villain.

Seriously, I can't imagine him as a villainous take on him.

Not sure who'd you cast for a more douchier version of the character.
>>
>>87782477
>cliche evil businessman

But yet he did exactly that in The Lost World with Ludlow...hmm.

Unironically, I really don't think Ludlow did anything wrong though. He had a good point when he said that the creatures weren't TECHNICALLY dinosaurs, they were creations of InGen, and therefore were InGen's property.

Hammond was a moron in the sense that he didn't properly screen Nedry. At the very least, he should have had one more person working with him. The board was in the right for removing him from his position as CEO. Also, Hammond once again was at fault for Jurassic Park not working because he just HAD to get that hippie photographer to let the dinosaurs free and potentially kill tens of people. If they just brought the herbivores to San Diego, it would have went over smoothly.
>>
>>87783240
Ludrow might have a point in them being property of inGen but recreating a park that went tits up before day one and resulted in constant deaths in a major population zone was retarded.
Even without the hippies it's flirting with disaster.
They should've just made a dinosaur safari where they just do chopper fly bys through the island.
>>
>>87781303
I think you'll find this happens a lot when Speilberg adapts a books. For example in Jaws Hooper is a sex maniac that cucks Brody. Speilberg knows what to keep and what is going to get in the way. Book Hammond is a more compelling antagonist, but there's only so much you can do with 2 hours on screen.
>>
The fact that Hammond isn't an evil, blinded by greed, irredeemable, cliched cocksucker is the reason I really like this movie. That shit is so lazy and tired.
>heartless monster makes monsters for only profit, who in turn, violently eat him as some sort of final comeuppance.
That's schlock.
The fact that Hammond is portrayed as an actual human, albeit a flawed one, make the story more genuine.
The guy has an arc.
His faults aren't that he's evil or soulless. His are of misguidance, overambition, and niavety. He breaks down when he thinks of how his creation is murdering people, when he only wanted it to bring them joy. He doesn't stubbornly try to keep it afloat once he knows it goes tits up either, he says he's shutting it down.
That's an interesting story to tell.
>>
File: glitchedAI.jpg (8KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
glitchedAI.jpg
8KB, 225x225px
>An actually interesting topic is being discussed on /tv/ without any shitty memes or derailment attempts by falseflaggers. Am I on the right board? Why can't it always be like this?

>>87781303
Anyway, my response is just this: I never read the novel, but if Hammond is that shitty in the book, accurately transferring his character to cinema would have made the movie far, far worse. If Hammond was also a villain, on top of the lawyer and the computer guy, the film would have felt a lot more dark. You could do this whole sort of "evil Walt Disney" thing, sure, but it would have sucked a lot of joy out of the film. That's my two cents anyway
>>
Because a direct adaptation of the book would be an awful movie, just like a direct novelization o the movie would be an awful book.
Also Jurassic Park itself was a money hole, it was likely never going to break a profit. Book Hammond being a cynical asshole made it seem strange that he'd be willing to sink all this money into something that was unlikely to yield a significant profit margin.
>All the major problems of a theme park AND a Zoo
>>
>>87785471
the lawyer isn't a villain at all, certainly not in the book. He doesn't even die in the book, nor does the australian guy.
>>
>>87781303
Because he's more interesting as a well intentioned man who did this misguided thing out of a genuine love than a moneygrubbing businessman villain.
>>
File: Nick.png (254KB, 478x264px) Image search: [Google]
Nick.png
254KB, 478x264px
>>87783620
>but recreating a park that went tits up before day one and resulted in constant deaths in a major population zone was retarded.

Entirely because of Nick Van Owen, who was sent by Hammond. Ian's party were literally the villains in the Lost World.
>>
>>87783240
>But yet he did exactly that in The Lost World with Ludlow...hmm.
And Lost World sucked...hmm.
>>
>>87785471
Chili and sea bass
>>
>>87781303
go watch timeline

heck they even nerfed that guy's dickishness in the movie but whatever
>>
>>87785634
The Lost World served as a brilliant homage to the original Lost World and King Kong. It has its merits. The last few scenes were extremely entertaining ("We have a dinosaur in our backyard!")

Plus Pete Postlethwaite stole the show.
>>
>>87785177
>The fact that Hammond isn't an evil, blinded by greed, irredeemable, cliched cocksucker is the reason I really like this movie.
This exactly. I think it is the fact his character is so nice and caring on the outside really helps to shadow the fact he is an evil, greedy motherfucker (maybe more in terms of playing god than with money in the movie).

If you don't believe me, re-watch the movie, and watch Hammond's character while ignoring all normal social interaction - his love for his grandkids, his treatment of the guests etc. Take away his social appeal, and watch what his character is trying to achieve in the background: the business, the lack of compassion for lives beyond those he has to care about, the way he is carrying on about a "next time", etc.
>>
>>87785855
I was surprised they had the dinosaur eat the dog. Dogs are usually untouchable in action movies. I remember how the audience clapped when Vivica Fox's dog escaped the burning tunnel in Independence Day, while millions died around them.
>>
>>87785956
>KIDSSSHHH
>Here go see the dinosaurs with a bunch of strange adults.
>No, I won't go with you to show off my park and watch your faces light up with terror
>>
>>87783240
>properly screen Nedry
he probably shouldn't have underpaid him and shit on him all the time then.

Mr. Spared No Expense could have spared everybody by paying him more
>>
>>87785471
because assholes like you point it out everytime
>>
>>87785609
Ians bitch gymnastics daughter should have dropped like she hit a brick wall from that raptor
>>
>>87785471
The lawyer is completely different in the books too:

Hes actually pretty athletic, not sleazy at all, and is really just trying to do his job to assess the safety of the park, and quickly becomes convinced that the park must be shut down to keep people safe and he survives the incident.
>>
>>87785956
>WHEN WE HAD CONTROL
>>
>>87781303
It was literally because Spielberg thought Attenborough's acting was too friendly to portray him as a bad guy
>>
>>87785177
>evil, blinded by greed, irredeemable, cliched cocksucker
Hammond wasn't really that in the book. I think OP exaggerates book Hammond's nastiness a bit. Book Hammond was more like an arrogant guy who was impatient and stressed out because his investors were breathing down his neck, and figured that having created the dinosaurs successfully was 90% of the work, so the rest should be smooth sailing - so he didn't put the proper amount of resources into safety. He just wanted to open the park already, and imposed contradictory objectives. He wanted the park to be safe and ready, on the other hand he was scared of losing expensive dinosaurs so he idiotically limited the firepower available to park personnel. He was a complex character. On the one hand, he was an old carny who tricked investors with exaggerated promises. On the other hand he really did want to create real dinosaurs to show people, and he rejected Dr. Wu's suggestion of just designing dinosaurs based on what will sell rather than what they were actually like in the Mesozoic Era.
>>
>>87785956
Again, he's not evil, he's misguided.
He's not trying to conceal anything. He openly states that the park is not to turn a profit from the mega rich but to let people from all walks of life experience some joy he's trying to bring them, while his partners and their lawyer are wringing their hands and salivating about the fourtune they're gonna make.
Saying he lacks compassion because he's busy trying to launch a multi million dollar multifaceted business venture doesn't make him evil. It makes him busy. He's caught up in making this dream come true that he doesn't see the Forrest through the trees and things go wrong. Just because he lets his passion get the better of him and displays clear signs of disallusionment while talking with Ellie doesn't mean he's evil or hiding anything. He's disappointed in that moment and scrounging for an excuse to say he can still salvage what is there, but by the end of the film he's had the apiphany that it's not worth it, he's made a mistake and he's come to terms with it.
Sure he has Huberis. That's a fault.
It contributes to people dying.
He's not in any way portrayed as evil in the film though.
>>
>>87786093
I'm betting Hammond actually paid Nedry an adequate amount of money. It's just that Nedry is a greedy slime ball.
>>
>>87782314
>spielberg found it unbelievable a man with great wealth would invest it heavily in the opportunity to increase his fortune exponentially
I thought Spielberg was Jewish?
>>
>tfw you will never see Muldoon not be a jobber against raptor fucking shits
>>
>>87786631
I like that. I just really like the direction they went with in the movie. I feel it's a better story to tell.
having denis' greed lead to his demise is enough I feel in way of playing that card that killing Hammond isn't really needed.
The lawyer is a little cliched, he's weasely, but he's not a truly bad guy. He just makes a selfish decision and ends up dying because of it.
I also like that Muldoon is portrayed as a decent dude too. He states that the dinosaurs are dangerous and he'd rather the raptors not exist. He also basically sacrifices himself to let Ellie escape and even admires the fact that the raptors got the better of him before being evisorated. I like that. It'd be far too easy just to make a bunch of goons the audience is supposed to hate so the dinosaurs can chew them up.
It's more compelling thinking they're real people in tough situations.
>>
Chili and sea bass
>>
>>87781303
Because unlike Spielberg, Crichton can't write interesting or compelling characters to save his life and book Hammond was one cliche after the next.
>>
>>87782259
Yeah. Think of how successful the movie could've been right? They really messed up there.
>>
>>87781303

I think Speilberg has him played well in the movie. He is not the good guy. He's not a bad guy either. He is will intentioned but wrong. Like you want kids to see santa, but its a lie. Santa is all a lie. He wanted something real, to move people, but did it the wrong way.
>>
>>87781303
>It really does ruin Crichton's whole "men messing with Nature are bad guys" theme when the man messing with nature isn't really that bad of a guy.

that makes it much much more interesting and deep
>>
>>87789429
Fucking spoilers, jackoff!!!
I'm literally in tears now!
Thanks for wrecking my night.
Santa has to be real.
Who left me all those toys?
>>
>>87789724
>*teleports in your chimney*
>nothing personnel kid
>>
File: ingen_logo.jpg (46KB, 900x806px) Image search: [Google]
ingen_logo.jpg
46KB, 900x806px
Movie Hammond is so nice he makes it seem like InGen isn't that evil of a company. I mean they really aren't, just a bit dumb and cheap.
>>
There were already enough villains. If Hammond was going to be one, he would have had to be the focus, which means the others get no screentime or they rewrite how shit went bad.
>>
>>87789429
Literally the flea circus story he tells Ellie.

I really appreciate the sadness in Hammond's story, he's a dreamer, has a big dream, and almost makes it happen, but ultimately loses it all. That last shot of him in the helicopter sadly gazing at the amber enclosed mosquito on the end of his walking cane says more than any words could about his sense of loss, about a dream that has died.
>>
I always found it kind of funny how the kids were cuddled next to Alan on the helicopter back home while John Hammond sat alone by himself.
>>
>>87790729
It was to close Alan's character arc, showing he'd come around on liking kids. Also he did saved both of their lives multiple times throughout the movie.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.