[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How powerful is Q exactly?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 127
Thread images: 17

File: Q,_2372.jpg (83KB, 565x507px) Image search: [Google]
Q,_2372.jpg
83KB, 565x507px
How powerful is Q exactly?
>>
Q / Infinity
>>
File: unlimited.jpg (129KB, 1560x665px) Image search: [Google]
unlimited.jpg
129KB, 1560x665px
UNLIMITED
>>
>>87778314
Pretty good. He can breath in space
>>
He unlocked all the cheat codes
>>
>>87778314
He's powerful for Star Trek. Which means he's an absolute weakling in any other scifi setting.
>>
Mary Sue/10
>>
He was able to stop the entire human race from existing, so pretty much he's god. But no one worshipped him, why not?
>>
>>87778314
Omnipotent.
>>
>>87778607
>no one worshipped him
He was considered a trickster god on hundreds of worlds. He's kind of a dick.
>>
He was cucked by whoopi and a fork
>>
reminder, as all powerful as he was he still viewed Guinan as a threat, and she viewed the Borg as a threat so by proxy the Borg and possibly species 8472 are a threat to the Q
>>
>>87778564
He's nigh omnipotent.
>>
>>87778733
If the borg assimilated a Q that would be pretty bad I guess
>>
>>87778846
How do you assimilate an energy being that defies the laws of physics?
>>
If we are going to believe what Quinn implied, the Q continuum is not truly omnipotent (they just want to make the lesser species believe so), and all the stuff they do is through incredibly advanced technological means, not actual space magic.
>>
>>87778917
You think in such three-dimensional terms.
>>
>>87778917
You have to sneak up on them when they're not expecting it
>>
>>87778733
>species 8472

what is
>>
>creating shit out of thin air
>teleporting
>time travelling
>going to alternate universes
>energy manipulation

These are all Q's usual tricks, all stuff the Federation can do, just on a smaller scale.

Did Q ever perfom a truly impossible show of power, something on an universal sacale?
>>
>>87779492
He stopped a meteor from hitting a planet
>>
>>87779703
That sounds a lot weaker than time-travel and shit.
>>
>>87779740
By changing the cosmological constant.
>>
>>87778314
Has James Woods achieved his former Q powers with Twitter?
>>
>>87779247
space jews
>>
>>87779818
I think you are misremebering that episode, my good anon.

It was a moon, and Q *suggested* to change the gravitational constant (he was powerless at the time).
>>
>>87778314
Holy shit is that the guy from Yes Minister
>>
>>87778607
Because he's a dick
>>
>>87778314
his powers are control over space, time and matter.

he claims omnipotence but the Q have been surprised at times, so it's probably a boast.

there was an episode where they were having a civil war, which got represented by the american civil war. Janeway and the crew managed to use muskets within the representation to hold some hostage. Voyager was accused of ruining the Borg but they also did a number on the Q.
>>
>>87779979
>he claims omnipotence but the Q have been surprised at times
Omnipotence doesn't mean omniscience.
>>
File: absolutely halal.jpg (80KB, 640x539px) Image search: [Google]
absolutely halal.jpg
80KB, 640x539px
>>87779938
Thank you, Bernard.
>>
>>87779921
They're trying to figure out how to stop it and he butts in with "simple... I would just change the cosmological constant"
It was like explaining a magic trick.
>>
>>87779492
>Did Q ever perfom a truly impossible show of power, something on an universal sacale?
resurrected the dead
>>
>>87778691
>Whoopi likes our show
>quick let's her give her the role of an ancient super wise alien bartender who pops in once in a while to remind you how she's just so fr*ggin wise and shiet
I love it
>>
>>87778733
Not by the end of Voyager, they brought the Federation so much technology, and the Borg were so fucked up by then, they are now a complete non-threat to anyone.
>>
File: emissary-final.jpg (89KB, 604x497px) Image search: [Google]
emissary-final.jpg
89KB, 604x497px
Could he fuck around with wormhole gods?
>>
>>87780015
I used the wrong word, my fault.
>>
>>87779492
>Did Q ever perfom a truly impossible show of power, something on an universal sacale?
He outed Geordi.
>>
>>87780228
Some people think that time Sisko hit Q and Q actually was surprised was cause Q realized Sisko is half-wormhole entity.
Though, I don't think the prophets could do anything to the Q because they don't understand how time works.
>>
File: tfw bueno space mexican.png (242KB, 736x531px) Image search: [Google]
tfw bueno space mexican.png
242KB, 736x531px
>>87780228
He mentions them when he shows up in that one episode of DS9. He basically calls them fags.
>>
>>87779492
He gave Data the gift of laughter
>>
File: geordi lapepe.png (227KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
geordi lapepe.png
227KB, 640x640px
>>87780330
>mfw so did geordi
>>
>>87779247
A species that BTFO out of the Borg on Voyager
>>
>>87779247
A "perfect organism" from the fluid-space dimension that the Borg couldn't assimilate. They use biotech.

Basically xenomorphs with spaceships.
>>
File: 1500695473597-a.gif (2MB, 718x534px) Image search: [Google]
1500695473597-a.gif
2MB, 718x534px
>>87778314
He's secretly Discord, the god of chaos, so pretty powerful
>>
>>87779492
the Q civil war involved combat which couldn't be visualized in 3 dimensional ways (only thing which signified these was unscheduled supernovae)

also the Q are able to make any sentient species into Q-like beings.
>>
Didn´t the Q continuum build some kind of barrier around the galaxy so they wouldn´t get wrecked by the evils outside of it?
>>
>>87780704
Protecting it from what exactly? Chaos Gods? Tyranids? Is ST actually the beginning of the golden age of technology?
>>
>>87779492
the Q civil war involved combat which couldn't be visualized in 3 dimensional ways (only thing which signified this was unscheduled supernovae)

also the Q are able to make any sentient species into Q-like beings.

if the Q continuum wanted to destroy the galaxy because it became borg infested and threatened other galaxies, they could do it in a couple seconds. their power is only expressed in minute ways like creating an endless artificial sandbox or moving a starship 7000 lightyears on a whim.
>>
>>87778917
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4FGvMdhG80

Judging how forceful Q was with his son, It's possible

"Don't provoke the Borg"
>>
>>87780704
no, the Kelvin empire from the Andromeda galaxy successfully completed a journey to the milky way galaxy on a generational ship in an episode of TOS
>>
>>87780822
Turns out the Q actually did build a barrier around the Milky Way Galaxy to keep some evil overlord named Zero out. Maybe some other overlords too. No clue if it´s canon or not.
>>
>>87780704
I think you might be talking about one of the books.
the god entity in star trek V was said to have imprisoned there by the Q.
>>
File: SkHFc.png (641KB, 567x621px) Image search: [Google]
SkHFc.png
641KB, 567x621px
>>87780365
*blocks your path*
>>
>>87779247
Species 8472 has penetrated matrix 010 grid 19, 8 planets destroyed, 312 vessels disabled, 4,000,621 borg eliminated
>>
>>87780947
The Milky way is the Q's private sandbox, He just built a barrier to protect it from other "players"
>>
>>87781061
this is how /trek/ generally explains them.
As the "admins" of the trek universe
>>
File: No..png (941KB, 553x726px) Image search: [Google]
No..png
941KB, 553x726px
>>87781003
not so fast
>>
>>87778457

WTF Q played Sheeve? How did I not know this?
>>
>>87781126
>/trek/
opinion discarded
>>
>>87778314
Does he still have to do convention appearances to pay his bills? Then he's no more powerful than any other aging trekstar.
>>
queers
>>
File: neural scan interface.gif (3MB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
neural scan interface.gif
3MB, 480x360px
>>87781427
>>
File: VOY.jpg (143KB, 567x794px) Image search: [Google]
VOY.jpg
143KB, 567x794px
>>87778314
if his son is the first Q to ever be born, how did the others come into existence? were they created by other Q or were they simply there?
>>
>>87781990
born as a Q

the Q originated as a biological species
>>
>>87782017
all of them at the same time? what did they evolve from?
>>
>>87782017
>born as a Q
What about this Qt3.14? Her parents were Q who fucked on vacation.
>>
>>87779492
The Q have shown they can bend the will of others too. That girl Q on the Enterprise was able to make Riker fall in love with her just by willing it. Control over free will is a pretty powerful ability.
>>
>>87782017
At one point Q mentions they were just like humans.

But Q is nothing more than a plot device. hinting that humanity become Q.
>>
>>87782297
But its dreadfully boring.
>>
>>87779979
>there was an episode where they were having a civil war, which got represented by the american civil war.

>don't have the budget to show a powerful interstellar species doing battle so let's just put everyone in period outfits

that is really the star trek way
>>
>>87782559
this actually worked out for the better though

anything they would have done to represent the combined powers of Q would be inferior to the civil war plot.
>>
>>87778733
the transitive property doesn't really apply here
>>
The Q are using technology.

they basically just have really advanced teleporters and replicators.
>>
>>87782730
what about the girl who had a Q parent and had powers since birth
>>
>>87778733
Guinan's people see through the bullshit that the Q surround themselves with.

The Borg aren't a threat to the Q. Q was punished 65 million years ago and has to see over Earth and what ever intelligent life evolved on it. Which is why he later tells Junior not to upset the Borg when he was on Voyager. Because that would have been a Q interfering with the progression of humanity. which was Q's responsibility.
>>
>>87782770
She's Q, so the Great Q Machines were just waiting for her to give a command.

imagine being an administrator in a MMORPG, but spend most of your gameplay time using normal game play. since no one bothered to tell you, that you were an admin.
>>
>>87779492
Q made a Mariachi Band hundreds of years after Trump trapped all the Mexicans behind the Galactic Barrier.
>>
>>87781127
>Miles O'Brien has transcended suffering.png
>>
>>87780822
And the ship was destroyed when it passed through the barrier, that's why they stole enterprise
>>
>>87783039
an administrator wouldn't be an actual GM unless he has a GM unlocked account. otherwise he is playing on a basic account on his own time.

the Q used technology but they incorporated into themselves. you're just adding an unnecessary and non-canon based middleman with this theory
>>
>>87782960
Wait, so in a sense, Q accidentally became Humanity's patron God?
>>
>>87783164
yes.

The Q were fighting that alien race that was "god" in Star Trek V. Q fucked up and a meteor hit the Earth, forever altering the development of the planet.
>>
>>87783202
You kinda get the vibe that the Q are play a Universe version of the board game Risk. But all we are seeing is the early game.
>>
>>87783300
Star Trek is full of energy beings, aliens of another dimension, etc. The Q are just top of the ascended being pyramid.
>>
>>87779492
He made Will Wheaton Grom up to be a handsome non autistic.
>>
>>87778733
You mean her race that the borg wiped out easily?

She was no real threat to him. Q said she wasn't what she appeared to be, and would Picard like Q to remove her for him?
>>
>>87783463
Guinan's people live hundreds/thousands of years and maybe see time differently than others.
>>
>>87782489
I disagree. You know how much fun you could have if you control certain people?
>>
>>87779492
Q has refined all these tricks to be used by a single person.
>>87780437
Also this
>>
>>87778564

>capeshit loving fag detected

and no..
>>
>>87781560
He's on Blizzards payroll now as StarCraft 2s Alarak. Heroes of the Storm too
>>
>>87778733
>so much false equivocation
Guinan could be stronger than Q for the same reason that she's weak to the Borg or something. It's not like it's a flat stat
>>
>>87778314
Q is unironically like a Lovecraftian god, except it's Star Trek and the future humans are evolved, so instead of reacting to the known existence of this entity with horror, they are rational and calm.
Although I guess it's never really made clear how many Federation citizens know of Q's existence, is it? Maybe it's just a few Starfleet members.
>>
Does it ever occur to anyone the Q are only claiming to be omnipotent.

By the same token not telling anyone there's actually more powerful beings than them.

It's all relative.
>>
>>87785369
[reddit spacing]
>nigger loving fag detected
[reddit spacing]
And yes...
>>
File: goku.jpg (161KB, 736x1011px) Image search: [Google]
goku.jpg
161KB, 736x1011px
>>87778314
How many SSJ3 Gokus could he fight at once?
>>
File: 1505023455307.png (2MB, 1402x1072px) Image search: [Google]
1505023455307.png
2MB, 1402x1072px
>>87779979

Not to mention some Q have control over other Q and can collectively bring another Q down to the level of a "mere biped"
>>
>>87779247
you sweet summer child
>>
>>87780118
was this in voyager? I grew up on TNG and would be shocked if I forgot this....
>>
Depends, does he need a starship?
>>
>>87778733
>Paper can beat rock
>Rock can beat scissors
>By the transitive property paper can beat scissors
>>
>>87778314

Oh jeez, let's see, hmm reality warping... Instantaneously travel through space and time. Create multiple alternate timelines on a whim. Alter the laws of physics. Create and/or rearrange energy and matter. Undo any effect he creates. And pretty much anything else the writers can think of.

However. He still has a unique personality with an ego and idiosyncrasy. He has goals, aspirations, curiosities, and weakness. He doesn't alter brain chemistry to change sentient creatures' free will. He likes pushing people to see what their response will be in a rather antagonist/prankish/trickster type of way. And also, his greatest weakness, he can be depowered/killed by his own Q Continuum.
>>
>>87782047
humans
>>
>>87787948

They're also masters at the double take.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDhj5fqINRk
>>
>>87788851
John de Lancie felt out of place on Voyager.. welp, maybe after Death Wish since Death Wish was a great episode. And I actually quite liked him on DS9 with Vash even though the episode was only average.
>>
>>87789512

Yeah it was pretty jokey and light harded compared to say Q introducing the Enterprise to the Borg. Death Wish was ok on the philosophical concepts, but the abstraction of Q society was kinda disappointing (even though that's what they were going for).
>>
>>87789756
The abstraction of the contiuum I actually liked since they needed a way to convey what other Q went through.

Now the Q battlefield abstraction from the Q and the Grey was a bit silly
>>
File: 1445695675422.jpg (25KB, 321x322px) Image search: [Google]
1445695675422.jpg
25KB, 321x322px
Q power level makes absolutely no sense at all.

>Can freely travel through time
>Can manipulate entire galaxies
>Them having a civil war leads to entire suns exploding
>"BE CAREFUL OF DA BORG"

I mean shit, couldn't any of them just snap their fingers and have the Borg in their entirety simply cease to exist? They've done more impressive shit than make a race disappear before.
>>
>>87789934
It's hinted many times that there is a sort of a ethical guideline most Q are meant to follow, and certain species might have an innate understanding of that but likely they could wipe out a lot with a whim and nothing more.
>>
>>87789925

Really? I thought it was kinda lazy, not in the production sense, but in the writer's vision. I found it hard that the Q would stagnate. Especially since you had Q (de lancie) training Picard and humanity into a path even he couldn't fully anticipate. Given these are beings of pure imagination, you'd think they'd create an infinite sandbox of realities to test their ideas without exhaustion.

Part of me still believes that the whole Death Wish episode was a ruse and a lesson to the Voyager crew rather than legitimate internal squabble with the Continuum. Another theory that satisfies me is that the Continuum is really just one Q that split himself up into many parts, each representing different aspects/egos, so to better understand itself. The particular Q that committed suicide, was just an aspect that the main Q wanted to extrapolate on the notion of death.

This theory always intrigued me the most, since it's what I would do as a singular Q: make more Qs that are different, but just as powerful, and see what we all can come up with. The sum of dividing infinity, would be greater than the whole of it parts.
>>
>>87790254
>I found it hard that the Q would stagnate.

I didn't at all, at least given the finite dimensions of the reality we see. We don't know how many dimensions or outer layers of the universe we can see and an essentially immortal race with the ability to do anything would probably grow bored of their existence within a distant period of time that couldn't be quantified.

Now, from a purely ontological standpoint, being omnipotent by definition precludes just about anything but damned if it wouldn't suck not having done and seen just about everything. That's probably why he loves Picard so much because Picard doesn't bow to him or act like he's anything more than an imp (which he sort of is).

Now in relation to your issues with the writer's portrayal of the continuum, how were they supposed to present ideas as vast as all novelty and all history other than a couple of metaphors in something like books? I liked the handless clock as well and the look of apathy on the other Q's faces.

I also don't think it was a ruse for Q to commit suicide because who would want to live for an eternity if you'd seen and experienced everything, possibly hundreds of times? Eventually you'd want the ride to come to an end.

>This theory always intrigued me the most, since it's what I would do as a singular Q: make more Qs that are different, but just as powerful, and see what we all can come up with. The sum of dividing infinity, would be greater than the whole of it parts.

I think we are already living this. The quantum field is an infinite manifestation of an eternal being/energy that occupies all points of reality and so to experience a limitedness/finite reality it had to create the illusion of such a thing by creating an evolutionary timeline where things gradually become more aware until they eventually reach some sort of exponential increase that leads back to a unity or something therein.
>>
File: main-1.jpg (416KB, 2149x3035px) Image search: [Google]
main-1.jpg
416KB, 2149x3035px
>>87790436
Reminds me a lot of kado
>>
>>87790436

I see what you are getting at with the content as is. But my disappointment runs mostly with the demarcation of the writers' abilities. The Death Wish episode particularly reminded me that the writers were limited as human beings to see beyond what they could possibly see. So they abstracted that boundary of a perceptual wall in the form of stagnation. That stagnation wasn't what the Qs experienced, but really what the writers had because they couldn't see beyond it; it's like asking an ant what a human's dreams are.

So in the context of the show, what you're saying is valid from a limited Q standpoint: the Qs are much more finite and are more humanlike. However, I'm always looking for that little sliver of infinity in fiction, that glimps into something I wouldn't never have conceived.

Instead, we get a nihilism episode; which advances Truth no places ahead. Really that's why we consume art, literature, film and such. People will say it's just entertainment or escapism, but really it's that hope to gain a little insight, that little tingle of a new synaptic connection on realizing a pattern, a little glimpse of Truth that wasn't there before. Shit, that's why we're on this board even though most don't realize it. Talking about what's kino and what sucks, good and bad, funny and lame. While everyone may not reach a consensus, there's still a type of magical discovery afoot where people are motivated to figure this shit out. Long story short, that's why I've always liked the Q episodes: they made me think different. I have high expectations of them. I have high expectations of the concept. In a silly way, it's somewhat holy to me.

Anywho, I could babble on forever about this stuff and it's late. Gonna crash. Good shooting the shit.

Live long and prosper.
>>
the terror of godhood is realizing that you can no longer follow any 'rules,' because rules are no longer sufficient

anything you do or don't do, serves to create the next iteration of the universe, in the simplest sense, along a forward chronological vector, so the only 'rule' is what you intend to create with your actions or inactions

Q is not a god, and his mental problems prove that, he hasn't accepted the responsibility of his situation, so he slums it up with lesser creatures, like a neet playing video games
>>
>>87791160
>Instead, we get a nihilism episode; which advances Truth no places ahead.

Yeah, that's my main complaint with that episode is how it wraps up and concludes what I thought was a fascinating piece of Trek.

Basically, we're presented with a "that's all folks" finish and another Q pre-empting Janeway because he knew he was going to do it anyways and being on Voyager would've been a longer slice of hell.

It almost seems anti-Trek in a way; I'm not sure still how I feel on it.

G'night.
>>
>>87780788

his son was so handsome

I LOVE YOU SON OF Q <3 <3 <3
>>
>>87782297
I dunno man, it's chemical manipulation within a single brain. Powerful but not 'removing an entire race from having existed' powerful.
It's powerful is a plot sense as its often shown to be a big deal to do.
>>
star trek q continuum vs stargate ancients

who will win?
>>
>>87791616
Q, the ancients aren't as powerful. We even see an evil version of them and they are totally quantifiable; they eat prayers or belief or whatever and they can't just remake the whole galaxy like the Q can, else the stargate teams would be destroyed easily by them.

The ancients seem to have 'ascended' to the point of being demons, while the Q are outright admin level.
>>
>>87778314
Q is literally the writers putting themselves in the script. He considers himself to be a genius, he's extremely leftist and he's obsessed to make his point.
>>
>>87788500
in TNG "Hide and Q", Q gives Riker the power of Q, and Riker uses it to resurrect Worf and Wesley Crusher
>>
File: Wil Wheaton with a woman's body.jpg (34KB, 720x400px) Image search: [Google]
Wil Wheaton with a woman's body.jpg
34KB, 720x400px
>>87783402
>>
What does Q mean by this??--

>Q: You just don't get it, do you, >Jean-Luc? The trial never ends. >We wanted to see if you had the >ability to expand your mind and >your horizons. And for one brief >moment, you did.

>Capt. Picard: When I realized the >paradox.

>Q: Exactly. For that one fraction of >a second, you were open to >options you had never >considered. *That* is the >exploration that awaits you. Not >mapping stars and studying >nebulae, but charting the >unknown possibilities of >existence.
>>
>>87792666

Forgive me, Dark Lord Satan, but I must humbly ask you: is your > key stuck?
>>
>>87782047
maybe the ancient race that seeded the galaxy from 'The Chase'.
>>
>>87780788
Borg aren't a threat to the Q, but they are relentless and would take out all life in the galaxy in the attempt.
Thread posts: 127
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.