[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was this scene the biggest cop-out in the history of cinema?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 330
Thread images: 45

File: hosnian.png (2MB, 1920x800px) Image search: [Google]
hosnian.png
2MB, 1920x800px
Was this scene the biggest cop-out in the history of cinema?

>Early cuts featured a subplot about Korr Sella, played by Maisie Richardson-Sellers, Leia's envoy who is pleading the New Republic's support against the First Order and is killed in the destruction of the Hosnian System. All of her scenes were cut to avoid evoking the political aspects of the prequel trilogy and she's only seen for a split-second in the final movie.
>>
>>87728210
establishing a star wars universe with interesting stuff going on and reasons for things happening were the only good thing to come out of the prequels and they just shat non everything, remade New Hope for kids and didn't even have the fucking decency to explain anything at all. You need to fucking google and read a wiki until you get some explanation why things are happening. What the fuck is this 40k?
Fuck Disney and everybody who just wants to sell toys.
>>
File: death star conference.png (3MB, 1920x816px) Image search: [Google]
death star conference.png
3MB, 1920x816px
>>87728700
This
Also, people didn't dislike the prequels because of the politics, they disliked them because of the characters. Even New Hope had more political exposition than TFA. Remember the conference scene? Fuck Disney and fuck this tepid, boring, superfluous rehash
>>
>>87728210
What do you expect? Literally every shot of this movie would have gone through several rounds of focus testing and the average person gives no shit about anything that happens in a movie that isn't CGI fight scenes.
All Disney movies are made with this same scientific level precision to hit maximum marketability
>>
>>87728210
I thought it was epic bacon.
>>
>>87728210
What bothers me most about this scene is the fact that somehow they can see all this destruction happening from a planet in another system. And for some reason they exactly know which target was hit without checking a star chart. In broad daylight too, so there wouldn't even be stars visible to make an educated guess. Most stupid thing I've ever seen in a movie.
>>
>>87728947
they intentionally went with "just turn your brain off bro" because apparently that did best in focus tests.
fuck audiences i guess
>>
>>87728835
Most people that dislike the prequels are because they don't like shit movies.
>>
>>87728835
people disliked the prequels because of just about everything about the prequels.
>>
>>87729092
>>87729101
TFA was literally no better, people only like it because they are told to
>>
>>87728210
>magicaly split one laser beam into several seconds before impact
nice physics
>>
>Make a death star that can destroy multiple planets
>But it needs to suck up a star to work
>Sucking up a solar system's star would also destroy multiple planets
They didn't really think it through, did they?
>>
>>87728210
>DURR POLITICS BAD BECAUSE PREQUELS HAVE
Jesus fuck JewJew Binks
>>
>>87729126
TFA didn't seem like it was directed by ed wood and it didn't have a jarjar or child actor as the central focus.
>>
>reminder that people loved the prequels when they came out
>Simon Pegg ranting about how much he hated TPM in Spaced was considered edgy and contrarian at the time
Fucking RLM drones have always been the real cancer on this site
>>
>>87729325
It didn't have any central focus at all. It felt more like a Star Wars museum than a movie. The "characters" were just vehicles to move us from one iconic Star Wars prop to the next
>>
>>87729243
>hey, stop building that star-sucker thing in our solar system
>"no"
>well we tried.
>>
>>87729448
Can it not travel? If not that's even worse. And does that mean they spent years building it only a couple galaxies away from the new republics capital? They excavated half the planet; There's no way no one wouldn't notice that, especially if space dirt trucks were flying by the capital on a daily basis.
>>
You need to understand what JJ Abrams returning to SW actually means. They're setting up a new trilogy immediately after 9. So he's there to drop more mystery boxes and a cliffhanger. Snoke was just a puppet, the real villain is Thanos or any stupid shit he will come up with. They're gonna milk the franchise hard until it makes less than $500 millions at the BO.
>>
>>87729643
>couple galaxies away
What?
>>
>talentless hack makes shit movies to siphon more money off thoughtless consumers
Classic star wars
>>
>>87729711
Oh no, I said galaxy instead of solar system, whoop dee doo.
>>
>>87729682
>new trilogy
I don't even think they are making trilogies anymore, notice how the movies aren't called 'Episode 7/8/9' anymore, just Star Wars: The Title. I think they are just planning on making a continuous series, making a new movie and changing the cast every now and then.
>>
>Right before the death-ray fires Hux says:
"This is the last day of the republic"

This movie is clearly JJ trying to retcon the prequels.
>>
>>87729850
The line dismissing the possibility of a Clone Army and the thing about The Empire, The Sith and The First Order just being different faces of evil are pretty clearly trying to retcon everything in Star Wars
>>
>>87728210
Who cares about the boring talking stuff? It was an epic moment
>>
>>87729101
Or because being lazy rehashes still qualifies them as consistently made movies as opposed to jarring messes of boring nonsense politicising, cartoon rabbit shenanigans and appallingly bad romantic montages. 4/10 is better than 1/10.
>>
>>87729798
Don't let it happen again
>>
>>87728210

How did they even pitch this?
>Dude it's like, the Death Star. But it's like bigger lmao. Like, the size of a planet bruh. And it can kill whole buncha planets at once. Also it cant move and uses stars as fuel it can only fire exactly twice rofl.

Also they can see the planets getting destroyed in broad fucking daylight like they're on the same system or something. Starkiller base was the most retardedad shit they could have possibly come up with.
>>
JJ and Kasdan are hacks. HACKS!
>>
>>87729998
>romantic montages
Name a single romantic montage in any of the prequels.
You sound like you took those complaint s from random bits of RLM and decided to go with them, thinking they would work. Also, your silly scale system aside, you still don't account for the fact that Phantom Menace was clearly overseen by a human with at least a vision, while the TFA was just munched up mathematically and plastered into a soulless abomination.
Fuck you and your embarassing understanding of film.
>>
>>87729325
JJ Abrams is basically the blockbuster equivalent of a poor man's ed wood (i.e. An asylum director)
>>
>>87728210
>han and the gang could see this in the sky

wut
>>
>>87730238
JJ did the same retarded shit in his Star Trek films. He makes the scale feel so small. Everything seems to be in very close proximity to each other.
>>
>take's the empire's extensive resources and decades worth of research and construction to produce a weapon capable of destroying a planet
>making something 10 times more powerful can be done by a bunch of jackasses
>>
>>87729643
dude just turn your brain off and buy the toys lmao
>>
File: poe was right again.jpg (46KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
poe was right again.jpg
46KB, 480x640px
>>87729325
>>
>>87729830
If they wanted to change radically they wouldn't call JJ abrams back. Kathleen Kennedy want more of that stronk womyn Daisy Dudley. New villains, and she will continue her adventures
>>
>>87728210
>Was this scene the biggest cop-out in the history of cinema?
Yes. But not for the reasons you describe. Just because there's no point in using the lazors. All those planets are so close together that they're just going tear eachother apart due to tidal forces and be rendered uninhabitable in the next few minutes anyway. Save your laser battery and let nature take its course.
>>
File: force awakens aliens.png (3MB, 1824x1160px) Image search: [Google]
force awakens aliens.png
3MB, 1824x1160px
arr rook the same
>>
>>87730238
I predicted when TFA came out almost every major issue that would eventually come to the surface and people would see it for the shit movie it was. I made this the night I saw it. I will now state that the full extent of just how bad TFA was is STILL not fully being grasped and may not be fully able to be grasped by the majority of people until the next movies are out and the full context of how awful the whole new trilogy is can be realized.

When people really start putting it under a microscope, they're going to discover there is a market to be tapped in calling it out on its shit the same way there was a market for calling the prequels out on their shit. Starkiller base is absolutely awful, but it is awful on so many levels and it is one of many things about TFA that is awful but whose awfulness is only superficially understood.
>>
File: who fucking buys these.jpg (49KB, 600x429px) Image search: [Google]
who fucking buys these.jpg
49KB, 600x429px
>>87730476
due haah you're so right lmao cant wait for this bb8 funko pop xD
>>
>>87728835
>Even New Hope had more political exposition
Well no movie can be perfect. But at least it was only one scene.
>>
>>87729331
>reminder that people loved the prequels when they came out
Were you 5 at the time? Because IIRC Jarjar & Co were the butt of every joke for years after TPM came out.
>>
>>87730675
one of the things I did like about the prequels was they kept certain things toned down compared to the original trilogy

they don't have superweapons that make the death star look like a bitch, instead their space battles have a large number of ships drastically less powerful than anything in the original trilogy
>>
>>87729798
>Oh no, I said galaxy instead of solar system, whoop dee doo.
No worries, I think they're pretty much the same thing
>>
>>87728210
>All of her scenes were cut

So they had scenes shot that would explain why I would give a fuck about the 5 planets that got blown up? Whoever was in the editing room and decided to leave those out should never be allowed to work in that capacity again.

>>87730238
Also, this. What irks me even more about Starkiller Base was that it was merely a distraction to the plot. TFA started out as "we gotta find Luke Skywalker, here's part of a fucking map to him". Instead of some race to reach him, while searching for clues, out of nowhere comes the Ultra Death Star that happens to roast 5 planets no one has heard about before (nudge nudge read the supplementary material olol) and they go out and destroy it with the help of a janitor trooper.

The Death Star in ANH was the centerpiece of the entire movie. It was built up as a threat and throughout the whole movie people were working towards dealing with this threat. In TFA, an even bigger weapon of destruction turns up and they go "lol there's gotta be an oscillator, lets blow the whole thing up with a few hand grenades that do extra damage because named characters set them up". Afterwards, we go back to the actual plot, finding Luke, by R2D2 randomly booting up after years of inactivity, in the resistance HQ no less. Did they keep him there all these years just in case?
>>
>>87728210
The first order still to this day does not make any fucking sense
>>
>>87730808
That was a good scene though.
>>
How are so many important planets that close together?
How can their destruction be seen all the way on the outer Takodona?
How can the main characters see the destruction of these planets in real time when they're half a galaxy away from the Hosnia system?

The Phantom Menace was better than this crap.
>>
Is it true that Abrams did TFA without having any clue about the overall story arc of the 3 movies? He basically just went in and set a bunch of shit up and then leaves it to someone else to figure out how to make sense of it all.
>>
>>87729682
Jesus Christ
>>
>>87728210
>whole planets get destroyed
>literally never seen before and only the name was brought up once during a casual conversation which most people missed
>G-G-GOOD WRITING
I can't believe that people will only claim that the film's only flaw was that it was a copy of ANH. It wasn't, it was really bad copy. Even ANH made Alderaan important to the plot and not just a cheap plot device.

>>87731394
Yes. That's why episode 8 went through heavy rewrites just to fix it.
>>
>>87731172
The thing is they had this huge 3d map of the galaxy with a tiny piece missing and the only way for them to wrap their heads around as to where to seach for Luke is R2D2 filling out that blank.
>>
>>87729998
>4/10 is better than 1/10
Actually no. Which would you rather watch, a movie so bad it's enjoyable, or a mediocre movie that doesn't shit itself in hilarious ways?
>>
>>87729998
Looks like you didn't even bother to read OP's post. See >>87728210
>>
>>87730378
>that part in ST: Into Darkness where Enterprise gets shot out of warp but still ends up just couple of minutes away from Earth
>>
File: Untitled.png (455KB, 840x593px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
455KB, 840x593px
>>87731431
Makes you think
>>
>>87731394
Seems so atleast. It wasn't even soulless design by commitee and focus groups, instead they simply threw all sorts of shit at the wall and waited to see what sticks.
>>
>>87730649
Humanoid aliens are so shit, start using more "alien" aliens Hollywood
>>
>>87731431
The way the movie presented it, I got the impression that they didn't even have access to R2D2's map part as long as the droid was in shut down mode. R2D2 powered up and CP3O went "WTF, you got a map to Master Luke!?" Then he projects the entire galaxy with the bit from BB8 missing. If the map was save with R2D2 the entire time, why even cut out a piece in the first place and hide it with some old dude in a desert?
>>
>>87731688
Also why have two parts of the map at all? You would be able to use either part to find what you are looking for
>>
File: johnson.jpg (27KB, 608x191px) Image search: [Google]
johnson.jpg
27KB, 608x191px
>>87731394
it's true, all of it
>>
>>87731688
Because who cares? This is typical JJ hackery. The plot structure takes the backseat in favor or loud action scenes, where the characters run around in a lazy effort to make it seem like the story is progressing.
>>
>>87730649
Man, I knew the designs sucked ass, but that is lazy.
>>
File: regrets, I had a few.jpg (70KB, 1280x536px) Image search: [Google]
regrets, I had a few.jpg
70KB, 1280x536px
>>87731688
>>87731755
>I guess my line of thought was that it was a cool Goonies type thing for my struggling friends to do while fighting this, I'm told, difficult war. Maybe I should've left a phone number or something. Also, I guess I shouldn't have fucked off to middle of nowhere after fucking up so badly and letting my friends deal with my mistakes. But, I really wanted to go to planet Ireland and check out these bitchin' Jedi temples. Live and learn, kids. Live. And. Learn.
>So, what else is new? How's my buddy Han? Surely nothing happened to him with his deranged darksider son on the loose.
>>
>>87731810
The cinematography and the action aren't even good, they're actually pretty awful. Makes me sick when normies admit the story sucked but it was visually good. NO, even at that he failed, and this scumbag is coming back. Evryone at Lucasfilm hates him, he will be working with his fellow kikes at bad robot.
>>
>>87731786
>"That was awesome"

I don't quite agree with Johnson here. It's kinda insulting when you find out that a movie heavy with setting up mysteries and questions has no overarching plan to it at all and that all those mysteries are empty shells without meaning. Trying to piece together revelations from hints is futile, because there isn't anything to reveal if you just make shit up as you go along and there's always the possibility looming that all comes down crashing and burning, if you don't manage to make it all fit together at the end. I don't require every detail and sub plot planned out in advance, but I'd like the main story to know where it's headed. In other words, I'd like someone to have put thought into it, instead of doing everything and see what sticks and then go with that.
>>
>>87731999
That honestly reads like something Mark Hamill would say for real about the movie
>>
>>87732115
> it was visually good
When normies say that it literally just means good CGI
>>
File: CGI 2.webm (3MB, 1280x532px) Image search: [Google]
CGI 2.webm
3MB, 1280x532px
>>87732218
The CGI was shit too.
>>
File: Crait.jpg (414KB, 768x863px) Image search: [Google]
Crait.jpg
414KB, 768x863px
Do you like pottery guys?
>>
>>87732249
This is GOTG-tier, and even then it wouldn't look as shitty. Also
>0:25
>Daisy and Finn just standing there watching a man get killed
It's like they're watching a movie, and not a deadly alien 10 feet away from them
>>
>>87732163
I read it in his voice
>>
>>87730335
There was a romantic montage in AotC. However, I agree that TFA was just as bad as the prequels, maybe worse.
>>
>>87732249

This was like a rejected Riddick scene. It doesn't look or feel like Star Wars at all. It's even worse because it wastes The Raid guys.
>>
>>87731275
In spite of the politics, not because of it.
>>
>>87729331
What's up with this ridiculous idea that people only hate the prequels because of RLM?
The RLM reviews became popular because they did a great job of articulating what people were already thinking. They didn't create people's negative opinions of the prequels.
>>
>>87732583
The Raid guys were only included so they could include it in their marketing. I remember articles about it and people getting hyped, then after watching the movie you realise how dishonest it was
>>
>>87732583
>have the raid guys in the film
>kills them without letting them fight
>have Max von Sydow
>kills him before the film even started, no introduction, non nothing, just dead
>have Mark Hamill
> gives him 20 seconds screentime at the end of the film, no line
JJ Abrams is an absolute piece of shit, it's like he trying hard to do everything wrong.
>>
>>87732601
>What's up with this ridiculous idea that people only hate the prequels because of RLM?
Blame it on Razorfist and Movieblob.
>>
>>87732249
>The CGI was shit too.
Absolutely. Not only that, but this entire scene was filler. Not even fun, worldbuilding filler, but dull cheap-looking filler. I have no idea what it was supposed to add to the movie other than just some loud "action".
>>
>>87731381
No it wasnt. They're both utter shit. A wstery turd is no better than a nutty turd. The entire franchise is more shit than good at this point m
>>
>>87732601
People hated the prequels before RLm, myself included. However, the RLM reviews were completely dishonest and would take little bits of the movie completely out of context and ridicule them, the "sand" line for example. You can do this shit with practically any movie. Worse they should have done that with TFA, but they didn't , they bashed George Lucas during more than half their review which makes me think they were on Disney payroll as early as their prequel reviews. These guys were unknown but Simon Pegg and other celebs gave them free publicity. There was a conspiracy to take Star Wars away from George once they knew he was considering giving it away. they knew it because Kathleen kennedy was snitching on him. They are making billions on his back now.
>>
>>87732601
>did a great job

You thinking that is your problem right there.
>>
>>87728210

The fact that the system has planets so damn close to each other was really jarring to me.
>>
>>87732249
I forgot that was a scene from the movie. God damn TFA is a mess. And people parroted "practical effects!!!!" over and over.
>>
>>87732583
remember when people thought the raid guys would play as the knights of ren? Remember the the knights of ren?
>>
Cutting a woman like this from the movie is a crime.
>>
>>87732763
Every scene in TFA ends with characters escaping danger, only for the next scene to start the cycle over. The bad guys are merely there to create the conflict in order for the movie to progress to the next scene.
>>
>>87728210
>implying it isn't all new politics that only millennials care about like "POOPOOPEEPEE" and femmypeenie whining

Actual intrique and interesting world building has been replaced with "LET GO OF MY HAND, SHITLORD!!! XD" And I for one couldn't be happier as a gender fluid progressive.
>>
File: TFA.jpg (69KB, 768x433px) Image search: [Google]
TFA.jpg
69KB, 768x433px
>>87733009
"practical effects!!!!"
>>
File: 60581-maz-kanata-169-lg.jpg (148KB, 1440x810px) Image search: [Google]
60581-maz-kanata-169-lg.jpg
148KB, 1440x810px
>>87733009
All the aliens in the cantina are practical puppets...except for the main alien. We did an orange potato version of Yoda. It's female and is 2000 years old. And after all this time she was still working as a barrista!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>87732303
>Hoth turrets can actually swivel

>The Last Numale turrets can only fire in a single direction

Where were you the day Star Wars died?
>>
>>87733093
It's okay, the Nu-Empire are dumb enough to stay in the target line
>>
>>87732249
This scene isn't Star Wars. Not even the prequels went this much full retard.
>>
File: unnamed.png (1MB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.png
1MB, 1440x900px
You guys know those LEGO games? So they have stories recreating famous movies but to employ LEGO bricks, sometimes they add some bits of comedic story. So this game has LITERALLY better writing and story than the movie. I'm not even being ironic
>>
>>87732878
I hate how many arguments they make are based on assumptions they consider absolute truths in filmmaking when it's not.

No RLM. Not every film needs a Luke-like protagonist. A film is allowed to have multiple heroes aswell. Stop being ignorant.
>>
>>87731688
Wait, did this shitpile of a movie try and imply that nobody has a complete map of the fucking galaxy?
>>
File: rathars.jpg (52KB, 690x484px) Image search: [Google]
rathars.jpg
52KB, 690x484px
>>87733143
Where is he now?
>>
>>87732386

Well no shit you fucking nigger. This is set in the future and they've seen worse.
>>
>>87732878
You're wrong. The RLM reviews did a great job of dissecting the prequels. They weren't cherry-picking. What you see as cherry-picking was actually just humor in which RLM allowed certain especially bad sections of the movies to stand in for their overall badness.
However, I agree that RLM's relatively kind treatment of TFA is disappointing and maybe even a bit suspicious.
>>
>>87733253
>However, I agree that RLM's relatively kind treatment of TFA is disappointing and maybe even a bit suspicious
They've really gone soft over the years. Their Ghostbusters review was completely tepid.
>>
>>87733253
I would have given them free pass for prequel bashing if they did the same dissecting on TFA. They didn't even mention the "Mary Sue" issue, clearly Disney knows it's a big problem and has given instruction to never mention it. No journalist ever addressed this question and nobody involved in the movie had to answer.
>>
>>87733367
It looks like the opposite to me, everyone loves Rey BECAUSE she's a shitty character. Mary Sue's are in right now for political reasons
>>
>>87733253
RLM went overboard with the Lucas hate and after a while it became obvious these reviews were just some disgruntled nerd vendetta against George. Worst part is their revisionist history of robbing Lucas the OT. Dishonest as fuck.

That part where he deliberatly fails to describe Qui-Gon's personality is such an asspull too. There are tons of ways to describe him but they chose to intentionally act dumb.
>>
>>87731172
Dont forget that leia and the resistance were looking for luke. Then rey comes out of nowhere literally. And everyonr lets her continue the mission to find luke. Even though no one knew she was and all the people that know about her are either in a coma, dead, a droid and a wookiee. So biggest plothole in the movie along with many others.
>>
>>87733403
You make no sense pal. Mary sue is not just a feminist trope, it's fanfiction level. Even movies like Hunger Games don't fall into Mary sue. Rey is a unique Mary sue in a major motion picture, the equivalent is those Bollywood action movies where the main protagonist can take down 50 guys with his finger
>>
>>87733420
>Worst part is their revisionist history of robbing Lucas the OT. Dishonest as fuck.
This right fucking here, don't care what your opinion is of prequels, love it or hate it, but this shit was a total scumbag move.
>>
>>87733420
I bet these fat asses begged George for money to finance their dream project space cop. he either didn't even answer or told them to fuck off politely.
>>
>>87733253
They should have waited with their review until a few years after the entire trilogy was released.
>>
>>87733420
The RLM reviews aren't perfect, but what they did right they did really right. For example, pointing out the weird tonal inconsistency of the prequels. That's a great technical point that few reviewers had made previously to that. Most of the RLM reviews are just that, analysis of failures in the filmmaking craft of the prequels.
I think you really overestimate the impact of the RLM reviews. The vast majority of the movie going public has never watched them.
>Worst part is their revisionist history of robbing Lucas the OT.
How so? It's well-known that the OT was a heavily collaborative effort.
>>
>>87733500
>Hunger Games don't fall into Mary sue
Obviously Rey is more powerful than Katniss but that's just because the universes have totally different power-ceilings.
Mary Sue isn't just about power level, it's about having every other character love them as soon as they meet them, having them never do anything morally questionable or wrong, and ever having to go through the same development as other characters to be rewarded.
Both of them fit into that
>>
>>87733576
>I think you really overestimate the impact of the RLM reviews. The vast majority of the movie going public has never watched them.
But george Lucas probably watched them or heard of them and that was the objective. demoralize him and make him sell his baby. They had intel he was considering giving it away but was still hesitant. Why did Simon Pegg make them publicity and is magically rewarded with a role in the Disney movies? His rat face is very telling.
>>
One thing that annoys me is when people get obsessed with criticizing TFA for its SJW agenda as if that was the movie's major flaw. It's just a bad movie, in many many ways. You could turn every single character into a white male, and it would still be a really bad movie.
>>
>>87729682
>Chris Pratt shows up
>he's the reason smoke looks how he does
>guardians and star wars are same universe
>rey cuts off thanos head in infinity war
>Tony stark reverse engineers lightsabers and sells them
>Spiderman's spidey sense is actually a force power
>he revives the Jedi order on earth
>stan Lee cameos as a Jedi trainee
>>
>>87733663
Sure man, it's all controlled from the secret Jewlluminati bunker beneath the Pentagon. The Jew mind rays are corrupting the atoms in our drinking water to make us hate Lucas.
Come on...
>>
>>87733576
They kept painting George as incompetent who was basically kept in line by everyone else. They made it look like the people around George made SW but not George.

Funny part being that only George Lucas has been relevant before and after the OT from the mentioned people. You'd think if Kasdan or George's wife or anyone else contributed more than George, they'd go on making great things after the OT?

It's disgusting nerd vendetta. They actually pulled something similar in Ghostbusters. They went back and basically discredited the director from his previous acclaimed work to a screenwriter instead. How the fuck does RLM fuckfaces even know how much he did or didn't do? It's just speculation to justify a point that relies on said speculation. Dishonest animal behavior.
>>
>>87730649
>DUDE SAGGY POOP FACE LMAO
>>
File: KOTOR_II.jpg (66KB, 260x343px) Image search: [Google]
KOTOR_II.jpg
66KB, 260x343px
How do we go from this...
>>
>>87733760
>You'd think if Kasdan or George's wife or anyone else contributed more than George, they'd go on making great things after the OT?
Lucas never made anything great after the OT either, other than Indiana Jones, which was basically made in the same time frame and another big collaborative effort.
I don't recall them giving Lucas no credit or trying to crap on him. I don't recall that at all, actually.
>>
>>87733701
SJW shit is usually a symptom of hacks in charge. So trash and SJW usually come in one because only the most insecure and dumb directors have to rely on diversity hires to score easy good boy points. So you're right. It's not a cause. It's a symptom.
>>
>>87731999
Trips of truth how on earth are they even going to use Luke? He's done nothing and is already ruined
>>
>>87733733
>Samuel L Jackson is both Mace Windu and Nick Fury
>>
>>87733939
He tries to train Rey but then quickly learns that she already knows more about the force than him, so he goes back into his house and Rey leaves.
This is the opening scene of the movie
>>
>>87732249
Is this from that new Seth MacFarlane space show?
>>
>>87733576
Not the anon you're replying to but nobody is denying that it was a collaborative effort but RLM (mostly RLM fanboys) try to spin it as lucas being a retard the whole time and everybody had to hold his hand and do shit for him. I'll use Lucas's editor wife for an example even though RLM never touched on it. Reddit will claim that the only reason we have that movie is because of his wife, the first cut was horrendous at the fault of Lucas being stupid and his wife had to come in and save the day. In reality Lucas was self financing the movie which gave him a workload ( this would be the reason why he wouldn't direct V or VI and didn't even want to direct the prequels) and John Jympson edited it. Lucas saw it and thought it was garbage and told him what he wanted. John for whatever reason didn't comply so Lucas fired him and got his wife and two other editors and then told them what the goal was. I can go on and on.
>>
>>87733701
You'd probably change some things though, like Rey no longer being a Mary Sue

It just makes a bad film even worse
>>
>>87732587
It was excellent worldbuilding that didn't feel forced or over-expository, and managed to not be boring or poorly written
>>
>>87733826
To this...
>>
>>87734190
Horrifying
>>
>>87734018
Hmm, I see. The thing is, I'm not a RLM fanboy. I never even knew there was such a thing until I saw people here refer to it. I've never watched any RLM content except their Star Wars stuff.
I just like their prequel reviews because I think they do a great job of something that most reviewers actually failed to do, which is dissect the failures of filmmaking craft in those movies. I know there was some anti-Lucas content in there, but from what I recall the RLM reviews were like 90% technical analysis, 5% dumb Plinkett stuff, maybe 5% shitting on Lucas. Certainly not an anti-Lucas hit piece or anything of the sort.
As for Reddit, I thought they love Lucas.
>>
File: 1504633286962.jpg (74KB, 450x430px) Image search: [Google]
1504633286962.jpg
74KB, 450x430px
>>
>>87734444
Wut. That wasn't collateral damage in TFA, though. That was deliberate.
>>
>>87728865
>All Disney movies are made with this same scientific level precision to hit maximum marketability
I've fucking noticed this actually

Even Disney movies that are of entirely different genres have the same "feeling" to them
>>
>>87734304
>'m not a RLM fanboy
Ok and? Never implied that you were one.

>I never even knew there was such a thing until I saw people here refer to it
So you did you just forget about all those threads when RO, Blade Runner, IT, etc reviews came out?

>As for Reddit, I thought they love Lucas.
The same people who circle jerked over TFA and hyped for JJ's IX? I doubt it.
>>
File: IMG_0742.jpg (113KB, 422x408px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0742.jpg
113KB, 422x408px
>>87733733
Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeesus Christ

The worst part is I can see this shit happening
>>
>>87734018
The prequels were technically groundbreaking. Lucas forced us into the future. From splicing multiple takes into the same frame (now a 30 seconds job in Premiere) to fucking ambient occlusion (first done manually in Pearl Harbor to add depth to the CGI, then properly figured out for Episode 2).

Can you believe that ambient occlusion, which you now see in every game, was developed for Episode 2? I think Crysis was the first game to implement it, five and a half years later.
>>
>>87734444
There's nothing collateral about that. Snyder needs to read a book.
>>
>>87729243
They wouldn't need to suck up an entire star to destroy a few planets. Plus sucking up a star would and reducing it the the size of a planet would make starkiller base's mass super dense, pretty sure its gravity would be all kinds of fucked up.
>>
>>87730808
turbo-pleb
>>
>>87731577
>Vulcan is 5 minutes from earth
>you can beam to qo'nos
>or just spend another 5 minutes warping there
JJ doesn't know how space works
>>
>>87733973
This made me KEcK

TFA was such complete shit, a fucking map to Luke Skywaker, what the actual fuck! The whole movie was just jacking themselves off on Han Solo dying at the end, and member berries.
>>
>>87734226
kek idk why that made me chuckle
>>
>>87729126
it was literally worst in every sense of the word
>no darth maul like in TFA
>no clones saves the day like in the second film in TFA
> no grievous like in TFA
TFA has literally nothing

not even a based black guy like mace windu, nothing
>>
>>87733012
she was a real QT
>>
>>87734888
The lows in the prequels were way worse than the lows of TFA, but in some ways that's not even a bad thing
TFA was so safe and bland it's insulting, there was no chance of mistakes being made because there were 0 risks or original ideas. I'd take a crazy rollercoaster like the prequels over a sterile corporate product like Disney Wars any day
>>
>>87733733
>>Spiderman's spidey sense is actually a force power
my sides
>>
>>87733733
You joke but as soon as Marvel/Star Wars stop pulling in the huge numbers this will happen in a last desperate attempt to claw at some cash
>>
>>87734962
At least the prequels are "so bad it's good". TFA is just bureaucratically bad, dull like cardboard.
>>
>>87728947
JJ did the same shit in Nu Trek. Pretty sure that random moon they strand Kirk on is not in the same system as Vulcan, but Spock actually watched it implode.

JJ might be the most pedestrian motherfucker when it comes to space. He is a literal brainlet on the subject. I don't think he an wrap his mind around concepts bigger than his bank account.
>>
>>87730841
This is something that really is underrated.

We should not forget the meme of "prequel is released to an established setting: technology is more advanced"

It is a good thing they kept the whole universe in check
>>
>>87735266
I suspect that the "break in case of emergency" will be a "Vader kills people" movie.
>>
>>87735289
meh the droid armies and clone armies fit that meme/trope pretty well and are never seen or mentioned again other than one throwaway line in TFA
>>
>>87730238
Problem is that Abrams seems to think that the rule of cool exempts him from sticking to some sense of believable level of technology. It's quite a feat to have a universe inhabited by kung fu space monks wielding rave glow sticks and space stations that can shoot planets and then still come up with a piece of technology that seems like utter bullshit and have any suspense of disbelief come crashing down, now matter how high it was hung. It doesn't just use a bit of a star as fuel material, like, say, the Star Forge in KotOR for instance. No, it swallows up a whole fucking sun and then fires across the galaxy with target seeking lasers and blows up 5 planets at the same time and the event can be witnessed in the sky by everyone across interstellar distances. I can't fathom how Abrams, or anyone really, could greenlight this.
>>
>>87729101
It's treason then.
>>
>>87734900
>military-cut boot
>ultraviolet vision
How do I get the job of randomly labeling shit in a book?
>>
>>87735395
>I can't fathom how Abrams, or anyone really, could greenlight this.
Abrams doesn't know how retarded it is.

OR

Abrams knows it's retarded but he thinks so little of his audience he figures they won't care.

Unfortunately for us all, he was right.
>>
>>87734900
I wonder how the actress feels, having done all that shit to help set up the current political climate in Star Wars, and then be cut down to a 3 second scene of her looking up in the sky at magic lasers and the audience not even realizing that she was a named character. But hey, I'm sure well get a 5 part comic and a novel somewhere down the line, so we can appreciate how big of a character she was. No need to do that in the movie.
>>
>>87732249
Real sets, practical effects
>>
>>87732641
This. Everything about this movie is cynical and disingenuous
>>
>>87735395
The prequels and the Disney Wars both show that Star Wars doesn't really work outside of the fairytale atmosphere of the original trilogy. Having guys run around deflecting blaster bolts with their lightsabers is already retarded. Why doesn't somebody just use a fucking gunpowder gun? The bullets would move too fast for even a Jedi to deflect.
>>
>>87732641
There's also Captain Phasma. Holy hell was she marketed to hell and back again as this ultra badass and then the movie comes around and she's a fucking joke character who sold out her entire faction at the first verbal threat directed her way. I'm not sure how they could redeem her in the second movie.
>>
>>87728210
the political aspect is one of the few things that made the prequels enjoyable and added some flavor to the SW universe

that scene would've made TFA kino
>>
>>87735812
Captain Selltoys
>>
>>87735921
In hindsight, the general story of the prequels wasn't all that bad, apart from making Anakin a kid in the first movie. Problem was that Lucas shouldn't have been the guy to direct it, or write the screenplay. He should have just been the idea guy and have someone else make the actual script and movies.
>>
>>87736148
Should have went with something simpler. Palpatines entire plot was ridiculous and relied on the main characters being idiots to complete.
I would have just based it on one of the times Rome changed from a Republic to an Empire. It's already basically written for you and fits the setting of Star Wars perfectly
>>
Backstory only hampers Star Wars. It's a fairy tale in space, the setting should exist to enchance the story. You want a guy to look like expirienced veteran? Throw in a mention about a war, a clone war to make it more sf.
That's why prequels or any new SW movies won't work, or at least won't capture the feel of OT. There's all that fucking bagage from previous movies.
>>
>>87729830
this guy knows what's up
>>
File: 006 - fSSh7df.png (80KB, 500x421px) Image search: [Google]
006 - fSSh7df.png
80KB, 500x421px
>>87733733
>>
>>87734900

>2 useless space niggers on the same page

Fuck I hate JJ Abrams
>>
>>87730649
humans are so fucking übermensch in the star wars universe
>>
File: autism awakens.jpg (259KB, 768x586px) Image search: [Google]
autism awakens.jpg
259KB, 768x586px
>>87735999
It used to be the domain of that mexican guy in charge of lore these days.
Pedro? Fuck if I know.
>>
>>87733733
This sounds better than both Episode VII and every Marvel movie.
>>
>>87733420
fucking this, also
>asking your hugbox opinions on the prequel characters instead of asking random people
>>
>>87736863
Ahahaha oh WOW.
>>
>>87731688
Why didn't they just go to the blank space in the map?
>>
>>87736863
>perfect make up but just for her
And people still defend disney?
>>
>>87737030
Cause even small piece of a galaxy is pretty big to search through.
Then again, this being J it's probably the size of a driveway.
>>
>>87737051
It's a shop. But still wouldn't be out of place.
>>
File: 83173434.jpg (80KB, 606x638px) Image search: [Google]
83173434.jpg
80KB, 606x638px
>>87731999

>1999
>>
>>87729427
hahahaha, thank you, this is exactly how I felt about it, but I wouldn't have thought to phrase it that way.
>>
File: DUDE PRACTICAL EFFECTS LAMO.png (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
DUDE PRACTICAL EFFECTS LAMO.png
1MB, 1280x720px
>>87735601
>"""""""""""""""""""""real sets"""""""""""""""""""""
>"""""""""""""""""""""practical effects"""""""""""""""""""""
>>
>>87734900
I like the black guy with the lunch box on his head and the aluminum foil sash.
>>
>>87735601
>>87737554
DUDE REAL DESERT
DUDE SHOOTING ON FILM LMAO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTNJ51ghzdY
>>
File: Reaction-pic---Crying-meme[1].jpg (149KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
Reaction-pic---Crying-meme[1].jpg
149KB, 700x700px
>>87729126
yfw TFA was better than the prequels regardless of your protestations.
>>
>>87737963
I think sharknado is a better film than TFA
>>
File: 1502991682521.gif (240KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1502991682521.gif
240KB, 320x320px
>>87737963
>Reaction-pic---Crying-meme[1].jpg
>>
>>87735331
droid armies were obviously less efficient than stormtroopers, they were stupid, flimsy and taking down their command centers shut them down
they were pretty clearly the fighting force of an economic powerhouse with a lot of production capability and absolutely nothing else
like in the TPM, a lot of people get pissed about how weak the droids are but honestly, while I don't know if this was Lucas' intention, it makes sense given it was a planet under siege by a TRADE FEDERATION, not the ultimate empire of evil.
>>
>>87735669
That's not how force powers work. They know where to move the sword before the bullet is even shot, and the force helps guide it accurately.

Bullets would be even more stupid than laser blasts.
>>
>>87735395
It has psychic vision echos that echo across the cosmos for others to behelded in parsecs.
>>
>>87737963
>can't even greentext properly
>has shitty pleb opinions
you need to go back
>>
File: No.png (4KB, 562x194px) Image search: [Google]
No.png
4KB, 562x194px
>>87737963
>>
>>87738078
what about magnetic acceleration shotguns?

high projectile speed with large spread making both dodging and reflecting vastly less effective
>>
>>87738057
The whole point of the droids is that they were designed the overwhelm and spread fear because of their high numbers. That's why they were weak, fast to make, and had several factories making them.
>>
File: 1421307846634[1].jpg (8KB, 205x246px) Image search: [Google]
1421307846634[1].jpg
8KB, 205x246px
>>87738157
>>87738170
"Prequels were good, they were better!!!"
>>
>>87738244
Prequels were shit senpai, but at least it made an effort. TFA was just boring, which imo is worse than bad
>>
File: why.jpg (22KB, 960x510px) Image search: [Google]
why.jpg
22KB, 960x510px
>>87735601
>>87737554
>>87737749

This is my favorite. You might say
>it was a reshoot
>they couldn't get Adam Driver cause he was busy being hideous elsewhere

But, why not just get some ILM guy and dress him up as Kylo. Surely it's cheaper, faster and simpler then CGI?
>>
>>87738224
If Wonder Woman can do it, so can they.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFtDOvU6c28
>>
>>87738242
and once folks figured out how to fight them they went down like bitches

so its entirely logical there wasn't a military droid left in the galaxy by the time of the OT, or maybe just a couple who were forgotten somewhere and gained proper personality and independence, fuck that comic/book/whatever probably exists
>>
>>87738057
Not to mention the whole thing was a farce to get palpitine a clone army and rise to power. The whole thing was rigged in his favor from the start.
>>
File: 1454443793051.jpg (182KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1454443793051.jpg
182KB, 1024x1024px
Wow, this is probably the best thread yet for pointing out the shitty writing in TFA
>>
File: 1499830483040.jpg (500KB, 1007x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1499830483040.jpg
500KB, 1007x1080px
>>87733939
>>87733973
He's going to be Kreia.
>>
>>87732249
>literally every thug has a weapon
>the few times they shoot their guns they miss
I know its a meme that everyone misses in Star Wars but come on.
>>
>>87738244
>>87737963
I would rather sit through George Lucas' bizarre decisions and bad writing than endure another bland, paint-by-numbers, focus-tested corporate toy advert
Fuck off paid shill
>>
>>87738563
>corporate toy advert
>jar jar
>roger roger
>>
File: Axe_beak.jpg (8KB, 178x255px) Image search: [Google]
Axe_beak.jpg
8KB, 178x255px
>>87733057
Isn't that a D&D monster?
>>
>>87738696
NO GOYIM IT'S AN ORIGINAL DISNEY™ STAR WARS™ THE FORCE AWAKENS™ ALIEN™ NOW BUY OUR TOYS
>>
>>87730649
Say whatever the fuck you want about the prequels but at least they had better alien designs
at least they were colorful
>>
>>87738298
That's what I thought. The entire room is blue screen anyway and the shot was a close up. Just get a random dude to wear his helmet. I still don't get why they didn't just paint the walls black instead of CGing the entire room.
>>
>>87730378
I think my single biggest problem with TFA was that they leave Jakku, immediately get sucked up by Han's freighter, and as soon as they escape the freighter they're at the cantina planet.

There's no breathing space or downtime in the film. Just one action scene after the next. Finn acts all torn up over Han dying when he's known him for all of an hour and a half.
>>
Do you think we will all look back and laugh at TLJ reel like we did with real sets?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye6GCY_vqYk
>>
>>87733733
You know what though? That actually sounds kinda interesting! It's stupid, and its hacky, but it's not just a more diverse rehashing of A New Hope! I wish they'd gone in that direction instead of making what they did
>>
>>87735564
Eh, she's got Legends of Tomorrow right now, so there's that.
>>
File: F6hgsfm[1].gif (1MB, 426x239px) Image search: [Google]
F6hgsfm[1].gif
1MB, 426x239px
>>87738696
Is that a mother fucking JOJO reference?
>>
>>87739387
D&D was out before your dumb gook cartoons, weeb.
>>
>>87729171
This has always pissed me off. Just lazy as fuck
>>
>>87729325
Qui Gon was the main character Anikin was the plot device.
>>
>>87729884
What? Dismissing the idea of using clones acknowledges the fact that clone armies were used in the past. It doesn't retcon the prequels it confirms them.
>>
>>87739836
In the context of the scene it was pretty clear what was happening.
Kylo could have taken his helmet off, looked at the camera and said 'no way, the prequels were terrible' and winked and it would have only been marginally less subtle.
The line was only added to remove the possibility of seeing Clones again
>>
>>87739901
This. I felt the same thing with the line about the Sith
>>
File: zoom.gif (2MB, 500x214px) Image search: [Google]
zoom.gif
2MB, 500x214px
>>
>>87732735
>JJ Abrams is an absolute piece of shit, it's like he trying hard to do everything wrong.

How unfortunate that JJ Abrahms and Kathleen Kennedy sidelined Leia in the Force Awakens. In The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, she was implied by Yoda, Luke and Vader to have *As Much* potential in the Force as Luke (a potential that was actually explored in the Expanded Universe novels). If JJ Abrahms and Kathleen Kennedy wanted to actually show female a Force user and develop alternative perspectives on the nature of the Force, they should have used Leia. As a diplomat, leader, and mother, she could have used and been guided by the Force in ways we've not seen onscreen yet. Mediating disputes between contentious factions after the fall of the Empire. Inspiring hope, courage and forgiveness in those who follow her. Drawing on the selfless maternal instinct to protect and sacrifice for her children. These are just several new and compelling ways Leia could have demonstrated how the Light Side of the Force can be used for good.

What a shame JJ Abrahms and Kathleen Kennedy did Leia and Carrie Fisher such a disservice. Instead of developing a beloved and classic character in a way that elevated the story and universe of Star Wars, they took a page from fanfiction.net and inserted Rey.

Now Carrie Fisher is dead, and their failure is complete.
>>
File: The Dutch Angle Awakens.webm (2MB, 1280x530px) Image search: [Google]
The Dutch Angle Awakens.webm
2MB, 1280x530px
>>87740821
>>
>>87729331

This is revisionism. I saw TPM in theaters when I was twelve. We all hated it. We immediately felt something was wrong. I can't comprehend why you'd try to rewrite such a banal part of history.
>>
>>87740848
>>87740821
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck so bad
>>
>>87732249
This scene exists for the sole purpose of extending thenrunning time to make up for the barenones plot and to sell action figures. BTW, everything that sucked in TFA and everything that will suck in Last Jedi is because of Kathleen Kennedy but no one in the media will talk about it because they dont want to be called sexist.
>>
how can the same people who roasted the prequels like red letter media can suck the TFA's cock?
>>
>>87735564
>the movie was shit and all my scenes were cut but at least I got paid
>>
>>87741169
Autism.
>>
>>87735812
But Anon!!! If you want to find out more about Captain Phasma you can buy the new 30 dollar novel about how she joined the first order! Please remember to also purchase both Leia novels! Thanks!

-Kathleen Kennedy
>>
>>87734900
Why the fuck does Hollywood like niggers so much? I mean fuck, niggers are only 11% of the US population, why do they get so many Hollywood roles? I'd expect if Kikewood wanted to "represent" people that they'd make a lot of the characters be spics or asians, but niggers?
>>
>>87734490
>>87734723
it was collateral to the plot lmao
>>
>>87740848
Dutch angles are the worst thing to happen to cinema
>>
>>87741169
>how can the same people who roasted the prequels like red letter media can suck the TFA's cock?

The non-conspiratorial theory is they were hyped on hype, (I hate TFA, but it's trailer is a masterpiece), saw it opening night, and immediately made the HitB review, so they never had a chance to parse through what it was they actually saw. When they realized that the movie was a derivative nothing-burger, they doubled-down with the Plinket reviews (out of pride, maybe?) and resolved not to be taken in by the hype for the next movie. So when Rogue One came around and literally returned to the Original Trilogy setting, RLM criticized it for being nostalgia bait. Except this time the movie was *supposed* to be a throwback, so people were again left scratching their heads about why RLM seemed to have their wires crossed.

Now the conspiracy theory is that RLM have marching orders from Disney: "Praise the saga movies, criticize the anthology movies". We'll see if that plays out with The Last Jedi.
>>
>>87742396
Jay looks like Rick Moranis in that picture.
>>
>>87742396
It's weird how Jay is the good looking one now.
>>
File: LGX8lxo[1].png (168KB, 628x262px) Image search: [Google]
LGX8lxo[1].png
168KB, 628x262px
>>87742396
>it's trailer is a masterpiece
>>
File: tv frog.jpg (20KB, 306x306px) Image search: [Google]
tv frog.jpg
20KB, 306x306px
>>87728210
Worst bit is when Finn sees it happen in the sky (??) and then runs up to Han Solo and literally says 'it was the Republic!'

Fucking hell, that's got to be some of the clumsiest writing I've ever seen
>>
>>87735812
Just think about it. The entire plot hinged on her shutting down the shields willingly and it looked like there was no other way to shut down the shields without them getting caught. Had she not have surrendered, the Resistance would've lost.
>>
>>87735812
>I'm not sure how they could redeem her in the second movie.
Killing Rey? Just that would make her the hero of the entire trilogy.
>>
>>87728835
This honestly. If they had had just one scene with Princess Leia asking the Republic for better weapons and supplies for the war front and the Republic denying her in favor of appeasing the First Order, the movie would have been literally miles ahead of what it is. As it stands, it's a movie where the America of the galaxy is fighting with rusty pick up trucks against an ISIS with state of the art nuclear weapons with absolutely zero explanation as to how it got that way.
>>
>>87733253
With almost 100% certainty Disney got to them. They had a huge influence on perception of the Prequels. Disney knew this. Almost any amount of money or promises was worth getting these guys on board. I don't even think they were paid, but I can guarantee there are some buddy buddy contacts at Disney that they have now that they didn't have before.
>>
>>87733733
Would unironically watch
>>
>>87737650
It's a sash of agreement. In their culture you receive one when you get someone to agree to hand over their wallet.
>>
No one mentions how Han Solo's death could be one of the worst cinema deaths ever? Han should've went out with the Falcon
>>
>>87730368
I'm pretty sure JJ was just trying to copy the emotional impact of that scene in his Star Trek movie where old Spock witnessed the destruction of Vulcan from that icy moon elsewhere in the same system.

He doesn't really give a fuck about the size of space in any of his movies, so the fact that people in another part of the galaxy wouldn't see the death star laser beam probably didn't even occur to him.
>>
File: 1499627157082.gif (948KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1499627157082.gif
948KB, 200x200px
>>87745735
I'm not the conspiratorial type but what you say seems to ring true
I'm subscribed to maybe half a dozen Star Wars youtube channels (HelloGreedo, Star Wars Theory, Star Wars Explained, and some others)
All of them have seemed to become more and more 'safe' and pro-Disney as their subscriber counts have increased, to the point where you can depend on them to unanimously praise anything Lucasfilm releases - everything from the movies to the spin-off books. I think Disney's corporate hands extend further than people would expect
>>
>>87746419
Or maybe the average Star Wars fan is an insecure mouth-breather who gets a dopamine hit when someone else reassures them that what they like is good and that the people who run those youtube channels you mentioned have realized that dopamine scales on a linear basis to how much their check is worth every other friday. And, of course, that someone who shits on Disney probably won't ever be employed by them.
>>
>>87732249
tell that to kanjiklub
>>
File: startwarspoe09j8es6.jpg (156KB, 1350x510px) Image search: [Google]
startwarspoe09j8es6.jpg
156KB, 1350x510px
>>87729682
>>
>>87728210
She was the Indian chick?
>>
>>87729682
smoke monster is real villain
>>
>>87729171
>>87739709
it shoots out as separate beams from the beginning
>>
>>87743208
I'm pretty sure everyone on starkiller base knew it was being built to destroy the republic's governing system.
>>
>>87746419
This is true. Disney owns them. There hasn't been a single Marvel movie they've fairly criticized for the derivative garbage it is. They act jaded and fed up yet proceed to eat up the very most cynical products of this medium.
>>
This scene is the apex of reasons why TFA is a shitty, poorly written and poorly acted movie. It drops all semblance of "suspension of disbelief" as Jew Jew shows his severe lack of understanding of astrophysics to the point at which it becomes a parody. Yes, it's Star Wars, space physics don't matter that much right, but even THIS doesn't fit with the established rules of the Star Wars universe. It's so fucking dumb, it's so fucking stupid. Let's start with the fact that Starkiller base is fucking THOUSANDS if not TENS OF THOUSANDS of lightyears away from these planets. I get it, FTL exists in Star Wars, but how is this at all plausible? Then there's the planets all being EXTREMELY FUCKING CLOSE to each other, despite them supposed to be in SEPERATE STAR SYSTEMS, correct? Or did Jew write this as all of the new Republics most important planets existing in the same solar system, that for some reason has planets closer to each other than would be allowed by the non-existent laws of physics in the Star Wars universe?

Then there's the beam splitting, I don't even want to get into this shit it's just so fucking pointless, so fucking moronic. It's like JJ thought this would be more "impactful" or "visceral" or some bullshit so he decided to blow up all the planets at once with this fucking bullshit plot device.

I don't care if this rant is autistic as fuck, fuck JJ and fuck TFA for being a shitty movie, this is just one among many reasons that make it an abortion of a """""film"""""
>>
I was so confused by this movie. I was 11 year old when phantom menace came out and understood the "boring space politics" perfectly. But in TFA I had no idea what was going on.

Why is it still Empire vs. Rebels after the Empire lost in ROTJ?

What's the "First Order"?

What's the "Resistance" and what is their relation to the New Republic they keep talking about?

Why is the First Order able to build an even bigger death star?

What were those planets the first order blew up?

What's the new republic doing anyway? Why don't they rule anything?
>>
>>87728210
The whole film was a cop-out. Can't wait for Jew Jew to return for Ep 9!
>>
>>87734588
>Even Disney movies that are of entirely different genres have the same "feeling" to them

Its the Corporate taint, Like having off milk in cereal.
>>
>>87749224
It's all explained by bad writing and shitty plot devices in a shameless "soft reboot." but it made millions and all the dumb critics praised it despite all its flaws, because people were so fucking desperate to wash away the bad taste the prequels left with them, that even this polished turd looked good because it ditched all the world building.
>>
>>87745920
He already has 7 bike chains of agreement
>>
>>87748788
This can't be real because Samuel Jackson is too old and planning a reboot that far off isn't wise
>>
>>87728210

The fact that they cut out anything political because 'so scared it looks like the prequels!' shows that disney is run by a bunch of retards. They needed to explain what was going on, because none of it made sense.
>>
>>87731688
I never understood what "low power mode" is and why they can't just take out R2's hard drive and see what's on it.

Why was R2 in this magical "low power mode" anyway?
>>
File: 1436328309152.gif (4MB, 615x346px) Image search: [Google]
1436328309152.gif
4MB, 615x346px
Rich was right about not being able to do anything with Star Wars. George sure fucking played Disney by selling it to them.
>>
>>87732249
That stupid tentacle monster scene could have been replaced with something to actually show or explain WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON
>>
>>87728210
Why are those planets all so close to eachother?
>>
>>87749595
How does laser split?
>>
>tfw they make it seem like TFA is the Android saga leading into Cell, but really you're watching GT.
>>
>>87742396
Rich evans went from looking like a chimp, to looking like a gorilla.
>>
>>87733253
The RLM reviews are largely accurate in their critique of the prequels, but RLM selling out and literally LOVING TFA when they made their career nitpicking star wars made no sense.

TFA is not only empty and soulless it's also full of plotholes, visual errors, bad effects, illogical actions, etc.. They should have eviscerated it. RLM spent 20 minutes talking about how it made no sense Obi-Wan grabbed onto the assassin droid in attack of the clones yet gives a free pass to how Kylo Ren traveled to the other side of the galaxy in approximately 2-4 minutes in TFA
>>
>>87730808

Are you rusing us? That was one of the best scenes of the film.
>>
>>87749640
I can excuse their Half in the Bag review because it was their immediate impression of the movie.

Mike should have torn it down in his Plinkett video but instead he defended the movie as a Star Wars product and not as its own film. Maybe he wanted to do a Plinkett review that wasn't totally critical but that's what Half in the Bag is for.
>>
>>87749220
FTL laser, same system, one governing system is basically the same as coruscant being the one governing planet plus maybe some ships yards or something, I don't think the planets are literally that close to each other or maybe some are moons like Endor, the beam doesn't split or technically it splits at the base ( https://youtu.be/-HmWDdmTAE8?t=90 ).
>>
>tfw Han and Leia broke up
>tfw Han becomes a smuggler again for some reason even though he just saved the galaxy twice
>tfw Luke became an abject failure and became a hermit
>tfw the jedi never returned, they became a myt that nobody remembers for some reason
>tfw it was meaningless that the rebels blew up the death star, the empire just made an even better one
>tfw Vader's sacrifice didn't achieve anything, it's still empire vs. rebels endlessly for decades after

Why did TFA have to make the original trilogy all for naught? Why did it have to destroy the original characters or reduce them to shells of their former selves? I mean at least in the old EU Palpatine's death meant something, the jedi were founded in a new order, and Luke & gang had plenty of new adventures fighting not just the shattered remnants of the empire but also new threats.

In TFA it's like Empire/ROTJ never happened. Hell it's like the prequels never happened. It's just like they saw ANH and decided to make a sequel set 30 years later
>>
>>87749773
Oh fucking please, this is all mental gymnastics to excuse this shitty writing. None of this. NONE OF IT makes any goddamn sense. It was just written in this way not because the writers wanted it to make sense, they just wanted the viewer to understand what was happening without taking any other considerations into account. That's all Star Wars is not, not carefully crafted plot points, just force feeding the viewers by insulting their intelligence at every turn.
>>
>>87749224
>Luke Skywalker has vanished. In his absence, the sinister FIRST ORDER has risen from the ashes of the Empire and will not rest until Skywalker, the last Jedi, has been destroyed.
>With the support of the REPUBLIC, General Leia Organa leads a brave RESISTANCE. She is desperate to find her brother Luke and gain his help in restoring peace and justice to the galaxy.
those are from the opening crawl, so all you don't know by the time the movie actually starts is why the Republic has a resistance group

>Today is the end of the Republic. The end of a regime that acquiesces to disorder. At this very moment in a system far from here, the New Republic lies to the galaxy while secretly supporting the treachery of the loathsome Resistance.
this is from hux's speech, and now everything is explained
the resistance is the CIA

now was this the best way to do it? probably not. could we have used a little more detail or at least all the info up front? it might have helped. was new status quo explained in the movie? yeah absolutely.
>>
>>87749842
honestly TFA reminds me of Rebuild of Evangelion, which is a sequel-remake of the original where everyone makes the same mistakes all over again, forgetting the events of the previous medium.

Except in Rebuild it's all very deliberate and thematic
>>
>>87749773
Also explain how somehow Han and everyone can view the goddamn planets exploding from a completely different star system as well, none of this makes any goddamn sense, it's so fucking shitty. But no, we just HAD to have a scene where all the main characters see the "power of starkiller base" or some shit to motivate them to destroy it, so we can just toss out all the rules to give them motivation instead of you know, writing it so that maybe they're on a moon or planet in the same system as the republic planet and witnessing it that way, but nope. Instead we get this shitty, hamfisted garbage.
>>
>>87749892
Why does there need to be a resistance against the empire when the republic exists? Nothing makes sense.

"Resistance is CIA" seems to be a pretty big leap to take based off a few words of unrelated text and a speech by a badguy
>>
>>87749892
>this is from hux's speech, and now everything is explained
>the resistance is the CIA
No it isn't. If the resistance was really working for the republic why do they only have a handful of starfighters? Why the fuck wouldn't they call in the whole god damn fleet to take on the superweapon planet? None of this makes sense.
>>
>>87749640
On the plus side, they seem to have finally seen the light, and even though they'll never admit they fucked up, at least we might get some objectivity going forward
>>
>>87749867
As soon as you bring up astrophysics in Star Wars, you fucked up. Endor doesn't make sense at all without extreme mental gymnastics, it's a "forest moon" with Earth conditions. The Death Star has no visible means of propulsion but it gets around, presumably in hyperspace. There's no way Han and Luke survived that night on Hoth with the given temperatures without some magic off screen explanation. Whatever the fuck carbon freezing is and how it works on a humanoid without killing them when it was made for cargo. How about the asteroid field in Empire? Lightsabers.

But an FTL beam weapon is too much for you. Got it.
>>
>>87735812
How about the fucking knights of Ren that were advertised as the dark seven samurai by the trailer, then the movie comes out and their screen time is literally what was shown in the trailer. That is more than dishonest, that's just cruel.
>>
>>87749930
the speech by the bad guy is the part that explain how they're the CIA

>>87750009
the republic is lying to the galaxy, pretending to be at peace while having this little group of unofficial fighters. okay so maybe not "CIA" but the CIA's unofficially sponsored guerrilla fighters.

Why didn't they call in the whole goddamn fleet to attack the base? Have the whole speech.
>Today is the end of the Republic. The end of a regime that acquiesces to disorder. At this very moment in a system far from here, the New Republic lies to the galaxy while secretly supporting the treachery of the loathsome Resistance. This fierce machine which you have built, upon which we stand will bring an end to the Senate, to their cherished fleet. All remaining systems will bow to the First Order and will remember this as the last day of the Republic!
>>
>>87750086
Now you have fucked up
>The Death Star has no visible means of propulsion but it gets around
It has ion drives all over the surface (this is cannon). You never see it in the films because you only see the "front" of the death star. It's clearly moving in the battle of Yavin given that it is moving into firing range.

>There's no way Han and Luke survived that night on Hoth with the given temperatures without some magic off screen explanation
There's an on screen explanation - they got into the belly of a tauntaun which is an animal that can survive on hoth

>Whatever the fuck carbon freezing is and how it works on a humanoid without killing them when it was made for cargo
Even in the movie they said they had no idea if it would work which is why Vader wanted to test it on Han first instead of risking Luke. Han got lucky.

>How about the asteroid field in Empire?
Han's a good pilot? Again, mentioned the odds were against him.
>>
>>87736863
>desert scavenging
>make up
>>
>>87749926
If it can move faster than light, however that works also lets you see it from far away. What explanation does it need? It works like that because that's how you saw it work. Magic space lasers made out of suns and shot through hyperspace aren't something we have a lot of "reality" to compare to.
>>
>>87750162
>the entire new republic fleet was orbiting five planets
that is the stupidest thing I have ever heard
>>
>>87750202
>this is cannon
>cannon
anyway, if you count those kinds of after the fact "canon" explanations then you can't complain about any of the other shit in TFA because it too all has wookiepedia "canon" explanations

>tauntaun
it's dead, dead bodies lose heat, han had a fucking pick to build an igloo and the sun was going down. 3 choices here: they died, off screen explanation with canon bs, or you don't need an explanation because you just accept what happens in the film

>asteroid field
no, asteroid fields like those don't exist anon
>>
>>87750208
I can actually accept that somehow they figured out how to shoot lasers through hyperspace. What I can't accept is that manages to distort spacetime to the degree that you can see things hundreds of thousands of lightyears away. If that were true it would rip the galaxy in half.
>>
>>87728210
The Bosnian system?
>>
>First Order
>Resistance

What the fuck does this even mean? Even in the most political of the movies, the names explain themselves. The Trade Federation is obviously some kind of league to do with trading, possibly a corporation. Republic and Empire are obvious, and the Rebel Alliance is rebelling against the empire.

What the fuck is the First Order? Why is it even called that? First Order of what? What is the Resistance resisting against? The government they support is in power.
>>
>>87750280
>it's dead, dead bodies lose heat
by this logic bear pelts can't keep you alive in the winter right?

>asteroid fields like those don't exist anon
In the entire universe asteroid fields don't exist? That's quite a bold claim
>>
>>87750228
I agree, it's not like the New Republic should have an Empire sized fleet but it's a lazy way to make the new trilogy a reboot. I'll defend that the explanations are in the movie, but not that they are good explanations.
>>
How do the lasers know where to go?
>>
>>87750339
And why isn't the new Republic supporting the Resistance against the first order?
If they have that large of a fleet, and they are known enough to be called the First Order why is the Resistance the only group that is against them.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1499988485564.jpg (127KB, 960x946px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1499988485564.jpg
127KB, 960x946px
>>87731579
Exactly. I love that a lack of a map prevents Leia and her substantial resources from simply going to that area and doing a search. I mean, how did the Europeans ever manage to find and settle North America without a map of North America?

Fucking retarded. This movie was utter shit.
>>
File: 1491947816165.png (490KB, 497x506px) Image search: [Google]
1491947816165.png
490KB, 497x506px
>tfw never watched TFA
>>
>>87750286
>If that were true it would rip the galaxy in half.
what do you base that on?

>>87750351
>bears keep you alive in winter
not on Antarctica at night, no

>asteroid fields LIKE THOSE
asteroid fields where you have big ass chunks in constant collision? no, they don't. real asteroid fields have huge distances between them.

don't be obtuse you cunt.
>>
I can't believe they cut all that.
I bet they cut a shitload more from the film.
>>
>>87750368
well at least you can admit that. Cheers.
>>
This thread should be preserved. It completely dissects TFA into the cynical piece of shit it is. Good posts.
>>
>>87750162
>the New Republic lies to the galaxy while secretly supporting the treachery of the loathsome Resistance
>supporting the resistance

I thought the Republic DIDN'T support the Resistance
>>
>>87750454
what do you mean "at least" I can admit that?
that makes it sound like you were right all along and I shouldn't be correcting people about what is or is not said in the movie

just because it's not a creative or great movie doesn't mean people should be wrong about what happened in it
>>
>>87750440
>what do you base that on?
The fact that planets in another solar system were somehow visible to the planet the heroes were on, meaning that the fabric of reality would have needed to bend quite a bit.

>not on Antarctica at night, no
For 8 hours? Sure. You won't come out of it in good shape but you could probably survive one night.

>asteroid fields where you have big ass chunks in constant collision? no, they don't. real asteroid fields have huge distances between them.
So you've mapped the entire universe? Good to know
>>
>>87750477
they do, covertly
that's the lying part hux is talking about, which also explains why they're a smaller group and not just the main fleet
>>
>>87750496
I meant at least you can admit it's a shit explanation

Also I think you're reaching about the fleet - I don't think the writers ever even considered it and you're taking a quote and stretching it to try and make sense of the bullshit.
>>
>>87749640
Mike for whatever reason has a huge hard-on for JJ Abrams and will suddenly not be a huge nitpicking autist whenever his films come out.
>>
>>87750540
not entirely true - they ripped nu-trek completely apart
>>
>>87750506
>meaning that the fabric of reality would have needed to bend quite a bit.
and what do you have that means anything about how the starkiller works should threaten the fabric of reality just because you can see it?

>for 8 hours?
>The mean annual temperature of the interior is −57 °C (−70.6 °F).
No, you're dead. Even if you lived, Han seems fucking fine.

>So you've mapped the entire universe? Good to know
it's how gravity works faggot
>>
>>87750588
>and what do you have that means anything about how the starkiller works should threaten the fabric of reality just because you can see it?
would you care to explain how you can magically see thousands of lightyears just because a laser blew up a planet?
>>
>>87750533
what am I reaching about with the fleet?
>>
>>87730872
how fuckign stupid are you? They are not the same - remotely.
>>
>>87750611
it's not a laser, that's how
the entire thing is "magical" from our point of view, so why is seeing the thing so bad and not the "eat a sun and shoot it faster than light" part?
>>
>>87742396
>nothing-burger
back to r/le_drumpf
>>
Because if you're going to introduce a whole new mechanic to the game, you need to explain it. They saw, in broad daylight, a planet exploding in another solar system. You wouldn't even see the moon exploding on most days during the day. If you want that kind of leap of faith in terms of breaking reality, you need to give some sort of explanation.

You're the same kind of person who excuses time travel in GoT "because there are dragons so why does anything else have to make sense"
>>
>>87750705
meant for
>>87750641
>>
>>87732249
When I saw this scene in theaters I realized the movie was pure shit. The earlier parts had some weird stuff, but Hans shitty running pushed it unto unredeemable territory.
>>
>>87750705
What do you mean by make sense? Do the laser guns in star wars make sense? Do lightsabers?

And fuck your dragons and time travel shit. Yeah if you have magic dragons then I don't have a problem with other kinds of magic. Having new elements doesn't mean they don't make sense. Making sense is about internal consistency in fiction worlds. There are no other hyperspace death beams in Star Wars to compare the Starkiller to. You have no reason why it shouldn't be visible, because you have no idea how that magic beam affects anything because it doesn't exist.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1495632968776.jpg (11KB, 420x420px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1495632968776.jpg
11KB, 420x420px
>>87734900

>No nonsense stance exudes authority
>Studied diplomatic demeanor

Jesus fucking Christ.
>>
>>87728835
>people didn't dislike the prequels because of the politics, they disliked them because of the characters

It's not like that. Good characters don't fix terrible political scenes or anything. It's just the politics in star wars 77 are completely different and much better. Even if we imagine that star wars had shit characters, the death star conference still explains the villains and their goals in a simple and concise way. The prequel senate scenes would still be bad even if the characters were good.
>>
File: lKPaHzp[1].jpg (20KB, 575x356px) Image search: [Google]
lKPaHzp[1].jpg
20KB, 575x356px
>>87751057
>thinks the Sheev arc was bad in any way
>>
>>87751093
Sheev is shit until episode 3, then he's the main character and the only reason to watch the movie
>>
>>87748788
Jimi smitts in rogue one laughs in the distance.
>>
>>87748788
God help us
>>
>>87748788
>Those bits about minorities and Trump
Tried too hard. Was believable until there.
>>
>>87750477
>>87750519
WHY are they called the Resistance? What are they resisting? The First Order don't own any part of the known Galaxy as of TFA.
>>
>>87749220
It's a bit autistic anon, but you completely right
Thread posts: 330
Thread images: 45

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.