[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why was this ignored by the Emmys?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 6

File: kinO.jpg (205KB, 675x1000px) Image search: [Google]
kinO.jpg
205KB, 675x1000px
Why was this ignored by the Emmys?
>>
probably because IRL vatican likely hates the show
>>
Jude Law isn't a heartthrob anymore.
>>
not a fan of the scene where he skateboards through the vatican being chased by the stuffy old archbishop desu

the part where he crank calls the guy in retaliation was funny though
>>
>>87681186
Jews only okay you filthy goyim
>>
>>87681186
because it was shit
exposed americans lack of religious understanding and boiled everything down to "moderates vs extremists lol"
>>
stop posting jude law
>>
This show had a lot of flaws, but at the same time the characters really grow on you, and the meaning it tries to develop upon reaches a beautiful kind of maturation. The ending itself was really well done, and tied together the underlying subtext of Lenny's dilemma.

It's a melodrama, but it's got a lot going for it, and it tried to do a lot with what it had. The subject matter itself calls for a great undertaking, but I think it handled it well.

Overall, I fell in love. It touched me. I'd love to see a second season but I myself don't know how that could be done.
>>
>>87681288
You know paolo sorrentino is italian right?
>>
>>87681202
>Contrary to popular belief, a sage is not a downvote, and should not be used as one. "sage-bombing" or announcing that you've saged a thread may result in a ban.
>>
>>87681365
yes and it was nominally a joint-Italian production
but it was clearly made for the American market and doesn't provide any real representation of the vatican beyond backroom deals and politics
>>
>>87681476
>but it was clearly made for the American market
not really
>>
>>87681476
You know it was a huge success in Italy because the Catholics loved it right?
>>
Probably because it's pro Christian and anti hedonism and Jews hate that.
>>
>>87681476
The American market would have wanted atheism and the pope to be gay and black
>>
>>87681504
clearly was, HBO productions are very commercial
>while the Italian weekly Catholic magazine Famiglia Cristiana objected to "caricature-like characters created to appeal to an American audience".
and that's just from TYP wikipedia page
>>87681536
Just like capeshit is popular in america? It must be good then
>>
>>87681476
The american market disliked it and it wasn't that well reviewed afaik, atleast not at first. TYP threads were great when it was airing in Europe, then when it was aired in the US later on they all turned to shit.
>>
>Is The Young Pope a realistic portrayl of the life of the Pope and the backstage of the Vatican?
Absolutely not
>Would anyone like Lenny ever be nominated Cardinal?
Of course not. Even with James Cromwell's patronage
>is it, however, a good study about a man who founds himself and his humanity slowly?
Yes, it is
>>
>>87681644
The series was critical of Americans moron
>Spencer is an arrogant ass he nearly kills himself when he isn't elected Pope. He basically disowns his son before being reminded of his duties and begs for forgiveness. When that doesn't work he goes back and forth on being a dick and trying to get back in good graces with Lenny.
>Kurtwell is also arrogant thinking the Pope is jealous of him and is a pedophile. He takes advantage of American politics for his own wealth
>Lenny is the most arrogant and also approaches things like an American would in thinking he can do no wrong and intervene to change anything he wants. He is also petty and childish
Lenny is the biggest fear of the Catholic Church and is why a US pope has never been considered. They know we would decide to do whatever the fuck we want
>>
>>87681198
If that were the case the emmy would probably far more likely.
>>
>>87681961
The last thing the young pope tries to be is realistic
Its literally brought up that he solves his problems in the most impractical of ways
>>
>>87681922
>it wasn't that well reviewed afaik
Because it was shit
btw I never watched the full show lol, I gave up after the first three-four episodes, though I have a general understanding of where the series goes. I hated the scene when they showed the cardinals talking in the garden and they all hold really generic opinions about the papal election process being fully determined by insider politics and nothing else, all felt very uninspired
It all felt like a wankfest because I imagine the series was produced in the wake of Pope Francis' election and his attempts to modernise the church. Many observers of that can see that there is a light struggle between moderates and conservatives in the church but overblow this friction to define everything about him and pretend to have this intricate knowledge of the vatican and its processes when it's an inherently unknowable entity that revolves around faith. These exaggerated """insights""" into the vatican just felt like typical political intrigue shows today like House of Cards not that I've watched the U.S. version of that either lol and Veep, that ignore any fundamental understanding of faith.
posts like these >>87682087 reinforce my idea of the show and the ignorance it peddles.
>why a US pope has never been considered
maybe because the pope before Francis was born before WWII and when the catholic presence in the U.S. was considerably dwarfed by that of Italy and Europe you spaz? Even today it's barely there

You can defend the show by saying it's a personal journey of Faith by Lenny but, I imagine that, in a typical American fashion this journey is based on "muh feelings" and his relationships to others, not through any thoughtful understanding of scripture and the traditions of the church, which is what the vatican is really based on.
>>
>>87682474
sorry for the wall of text
>>
>>87681613
A black pope would basically cause a huge schism.
>>
>>87682474
>You can defend the show by saying it's a personal journey of Faith by Lenny but, I imagine that, in a typical American fashion this journey is based on "muh feelings" and his relationships to others, not through any thoughtful understanding of scripture and the traditions of the church, which is what the vatican is really based on.
Yes, that is exaclty what the show's all about
>>
>>87682474
Dear god you are a moron
It is not an attempt to capture the Vatican accurately
Do you think the scene where he commands a kangaroo to jump or where he fucking prayers for a woman's fertility is supposed to be accurate to the real world Pope?
You did not even watch the whole thing, papal politics is not at all the focus
>>
>>87682573
Does it really go beyond that though? From what I understand it isn't very inspired
Also feels very Christian-American to reduce religion down to that stuff and completely ignore the stories on which church teachings are based, or if they do go to the bible just reduce everything down to "jesus died for our sins"
>>
>>87682474
Here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCR1MQhwswM
It is an exploration of faith mixed with surrealism
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isgydm69YLE
>>
>>87682687
>Does it really go beyond that though?
Not really. But it explores the theme well
>>
>>87682474
>its house of cards but in the Vatican
Could have saved your self the effort and just used buzzwords, would have achived the same thing.
>>
>>87682687
Watch the fucking show
You are just projecting your own bullshit persecution complex with a muh Americans flavor
>>
>>87682663
It was its depiction of papal politics that threw me off; If they can't even get that right about a show based on "The Young Pope" then why bother
Fair enough if that's not its core focus but to belittle the vatican down to such a narrow focus and then sideline it is insulting,
>>
>>87682795
It really does not belittle the Vatican
Every single character is actually motivated by a deep love of the Church
Its just a really character focused show so what would probably be like five cardinals are boiled into one for the politics.
>>
>>87682795
Yeah a moron to the core
>>
The soundtrack is fucking great too.
>>
>>87682756
Good point, pretty much what I meant
I have no problem with that premise except Lenny doesn't show any intricate knowledge of the catholic faith beyond what I could tell you as someone that grew up in a non-religious home
At least make it believeable that someone could get that far by having him abide by the conventions of the Vatican (i.e. not being completely ignorant of how it operates)
>>87682838
I mean it reduces the role of the vatican in a show that is purportedly about the pope is a little strange
but yeah fair, if you want to make a show about the pope but not have it really be about the "pope" then you're allowed to. Maybe I should have gone beyond the first few episodes where they focused on that just to get things started hah
>>87682716
ngl just looks like shitty superficial ""surrealism"" and I say that as someone who really enjoyed the Twin Peaks Return
>>87682844
Ouch :'(
>>
>>87681961
>Would anyone like Lenny ever be nominated Cardinal?

It was a God`s miracle, you dummy
>>
This show was 10/10 and almost made me want to start going to church again
>>
>>87681186
Emmys don't like kino
just like at how they ignored The Leftover
>>
young pope being good is a meme, it varies between being edgy for shock value and pure sentimentalist trite (DUDE JUST LOVE EACH OTHER LMAO)
>>
>>87682474
>>87683061
> all this verbal diarrhea
>>
>>87686002
now this is edgy
>>
>>87686002
>>
>>87683061
Get off this site and kill yourself newfag
>>
File: lenny.jpg (148KB, 1079x1080px) Image search: [Google]
lenny.jpg
148KB, 1079x1080px
>mfw most of the characters revealed themselves to be deeply sympathetic and humane
this show was surprising
>>
>>87686276
And it was advertised terribly
Everybody thought it would take a big shit on the Church but really every character loves it more than life itself
>>
the entire fucking show is supposedly about losing and regaining faith in God... except the allegedly quasi-athetistic protagonist performs miracles when he kills the pedophile nun and when he brings the woman back to life

i too would be hesitant to believe in God if i had manifest supernatural powers... so profound
>>
because it's boring as hell
>>
>>87681186
depends on whether it shits on christianity or not
>>
Young pope threads are a great example of how shit /tv/ became, with low tier bait desperately slung at people trying to discuss the show "for the lulz"
>>
File: 1454442286449.jpg (14KB, 255x244px) Image search: [Google]
1454442286449.jpg
14KB, 255x244px
>>87681536
As an italian catholic I enjoyed the show, but I don't consider it a Catholic tv show in any way apart from vaguely the setting. I have already argued against the fanboys in the board that it is actually very subversive in very subtle ways. Maybe it isn't even intentional, and is simply the personal opinions of the atheist liberal author sweeping through as a background implicit conclusion to the clashing of religious and laicist perspective, but the subversion is still there.
It's not something that you'll catch unless you know about Catholicism though.
>>
File: end_my_life_seinfeld.png (137KB, 526x436px) Image search: [Google]
end_my_life_seinfeld.png
137KB, 526x436px
>>87681475
>announcing sage is a bannable offense because 4chan shouldn't be treated as having a downvote system
>yet (you)s becoming mainstream with the native extension turned 4chan into reddit by turning replies into upvotes
>>
>have problem with ubiquitous child molestation
>can't get rid of the child molesters because then no one's left in the church
>Name a cute twink your pope so the kids will want to be molested

That's how the show should have went
>>
Would have liked to see him debate Rick from Rick and Morty.
>>
what makes this easy to hate is not only that it's mediocre, but especially that the people who like it have convinced themselves that they're so smart and deep for doing so, as this very thread demonstrates
>>
>>87686402
except it is usually the most abhorrent posts that get (you)s, so it is not a synonym of appreciation in the slightest
>>
>>87686413
It can only end one way
>Lenny praying for God to smite Rick
>Rick trying to kill Lenny or God
>>
>>87686482
either way (you)s need to fucking go. people fish for replies instead of actually caring about what people actually say in their replies. fuck the phone posting meme, fuck the rebbit meme, we need to get rid of (you)s once and for all. keep reply chaining just for sanity but fuck (you)s.
>>
File: LennyButton.png (265KB, 413x400px) Image search: [Google]
LennyButton.png
265KB, 413x400px
>>
It depicts the catholic church as something that isn't OMG SO CORRUPT PAEDOPHILES GOD DOESN'T EXIST MORTY BUURRRP.
Of course the Emmys will ignore it.
>>
>>87681224
hearty kek
>>
>>87686539
but there is a cardinal who's arrested for pedophilia in it, lmao
>>
>it's a Pope acts like an edgy retard all episode but gives an emotional speech at the end so we know he's a good person inside :) episode
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.