[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The unreliable narrator

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: memento.jpg (219KB, 670x377px) Image search: [Google]
memento.jpg
219KB, 670x377px
>Fight Club, Memento, The Sixth Sense (or every Shamaladong movie ever), Black Swan, The Machinist, Shutter Island
Are any of these films actually good or the use of the unreliable narrator trope is just a plot gimmick for the sake of having a plot gimmick, otherwise the movie would be completely blank and uninteresting?
>>
All of those are, plus The Salton Sea (2002)
>>
>>87676763
>take away central premise of movie
>movie becomes boring

wow who would have thought
>>
>>87676816
Well Fight Club would work even if we took away the plot twist, would be different for sure, but it would still work. The rest of them wouldn't.
>>
>>87676763
I think in Memento, which uses this and the reversed timeline gimmick, could be really interesting and dark without those. Like, it would be a movie about a man with an obsession, Hitchcock eg was great at directing such films.
>>
The Machinist is pretty uninteresting even with the plot gimmick. The main draw of the movie is to see Bale in skeleton mode.
>>
>>87676763
Nah, don't watch them
>>
>>87677159
Yeah, some of the hallucination scenes are good.
>>
>>87676763
I'm a 6'3, 200lbs, straight, east european guy and I never thought that I would enjoy a movie about an aspiring ballerina, but the Black Swan is genuinely one of my favourite films.
>>
>>87676763
Ofc not. Thats the whole point of the movie. You can argue that the journey's matter more than the destination, but that would be wrong.
>>
>>87677654
journey matters*
>>
>>87676763
Memento, Usual Suspect and (to an extent) Rashomon are all classically good and use narrators who are unreliable.
>>
>>87676763
How is there an unreliable narrator in film? It's a camera
>>
>>87677159
I think that's how all the movies OP listed would have turned out if they didn't use the unreliable narrator plot gimmick. This is actually something I never really thought about, but I was just considering how boring a movie I really like, like Memento would be if it was just directed as a normal movie.
>>
>>87677732
it's a literary trope, you mong
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unreliable_narrator#Overview
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.