[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Screenwriting General: Informal Hack Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 7

File: SWG.jpg (5KB, 189x200px) Image search: [Google]
SWG.jpg
5KB, 189x200px
I don't have the copypasta for the mainline threads so this is just informal script discussion.

So, I've been working on a few projects as of late, and recently I started helping on a friend's script (which he wants to direct later on). His formatting is fucking atrocious, does all the things you shouldn't do (Shot directions, overly long scene descriptions, "We See", you get the picture) but his dialogue and pacing are flawless. He's trying to do a sort of 80's throwback movie (Everyone working on it saw IT the day before and we thoroughly enjoyed it) and he has the tone down pat.

I, however, am not faring so well. I've got a backlog of like 30-odd scripts, but among them I think 3 or 4 are actually finished. All of them are mostly just okay, with decent formatting and easy readability but absolutely no substance whatsoever. Same damn stories with the same damn characters and the same damn Tarantino-wannabe dialogue.

It's depressing as shit.

Anyway, as always
>What are you working on?
>What can you show us?
>>
>>87632798
CZECH THIS;

I AM A SCREENWRITER WRITING A SCREENPLAY ABOUT A SCREENWRITER WRITING A SCREENPLAY ABOUT A SCREENWRITER WRITING A SCREENPLAY...

HAVE YOU HEARD THIS ONE ?
>>
>>87633144
So is it just tradition now that these threads start off with retards anymore? I mean it's either this, pedophiles, ironic cucks, or someone posting fucking Keit-Ai again.
>>
>>87633144
One of the writer's duplicates commits a murder
>>
A boy falls in love with a girl. Unable to confess his love, he decides to stalk her and ends up brutally raping and murdering her.
>>
>>87633204
right he murders a SCREENWRITER at his computer
>>
>>87633307
See now I'd actually watch a movie about a screenwriter trying to solve a screenwriter's murder, but then you're doing another version of Adaptation.
>>
>>87633406
I would watch the hell out of another Adaptation.
>>
>>87633144
does each screenplay create new characters which somehow appear in the other screenplays? Which one's the original screenwriter?
>>
>>87633406
>>87633441
And on second thought nobody else would. Or probably another synecdoche.
>>
>Protag writes a script about himself writing a script about himself ad infinitum.
>Starts to believe that he's just one part of the loop, that he's living out a scripted scenario in a chain of hand-drawing-hand-esque psychosis.
>Feels responsible for every potential act he could commit, because in all the infinite scenarios he's written about himself, he's bound to have murdered or worse.
>...
>>
>>87634011
OP here, I post my work here every chance I get, even if I think it's fucking terrible. Mostly works in progress. I'm a sucker for punishment and this place can hate like no other.

In fact, while I'm talking about it...
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6uwaxNQt5HRU3BiaDlJT19BTkE

This is something I started up last night, and is probably the most dialogue-heavy stuff I've ever done. No idea where I'm going with it but I'll figure it out later.
>>
File: charlie_with_books.png (428KB, 815x458px) Image search: [Google]
charlie_with_books.png
428KB, 815x458px
What're some movies that involve someone trying to break up their friend's relationship?

I'm planning to start on a somewhat similar script and I'd like some examples.
>>
>>87634626
The first thing that comes to mind is an awful Owen Wilson/Vince Vaughn vehicle called The Dilemma.
>>
>>87634299
writing dialogue that really clicks and moves scenes is really satisfying

I write something once that surprised me when I realized I was captivated by it but ended up deleting the whole thing because I had drawn on a local murder and both feared a visit from the state police and bringing more pain to the family if they ever somehow came across it..
>>
How to write a script for a fake documentary that would genuinely trick people into believing is real I wonder.
>>
>>87634937
Aw, man, that's awful. Would be a really shitty coincidence though, getting arrested for writing what you know.
>>
>>87634987
If it's on a semi-believable subject, give your actors minimal actual lines and focus on the documentary aspect except for bits when you want to move the plot forward.
>>
im looking for a horror screenplay if anyone has one
>>
>>87635083
How much you looking to spend on it?
>>
>>87635083
ask mom and dad about the night of your conception lmfaooo
>>
>>87634914
I was gonna thank you for answering, but I'm gonna refrain after watching the trailer for that.
>>
The "overused ideas" meme really shows why 99% of you guys never finish your scripts. Most ideas you have are just a sum of other ideas that inspired you, it's the execution that matters.
>>
>>87635133
I said it was awful for a reason.

I do like the idea you have though. Were you looking to make it a comedy or a thriller?

>>87635199
Everything is a remix, as they say. I don't doubt it, and I don't care if my ideas get stolen.

I can't finish because I'm an uncreative piece of shit.
>>
>>87635111

as little as possible
>>
File: TCF3dVm.gif (616KB, 500x234px) Image search: [Google]
TCF3dVm.gif
616KB, 500x234px
>>87635290
More of a horror. The protagonist's friend starts dating a girl which means he's changing his lifestyle, attitude and not hanging out with the protagonist anymore. He's terrified of losing his friend and even suspects that the girl his friend is dating is a succubus (which is hinted at, but never said directly).

It's not great, but I remember reading that you should make horror stories about what you're afraid of and I remember being afraid of losing all my friends when they started dating. I was planning to end it with the protagonist getting a girlfriend himself to show how ridiculous that fear was.
>>
>>87635199
I use my own experiences and observations on real life to write my synopsis. I'm just a hack who can't really flesh out any of the high concept work I try to 'write'. Some of them are gems, the rest are straight trash anyway. Out of the hundreds of synopsis' I wrote, there's only maybe 6 I really think I want to flesh out. I have no discipline or knowledge gaining skills to flesh out the narrative even though I know format for screenplays.

Also, is there a Discord?
>>
I wrote a short film that's about bullying but it's also about Frankenstein.
I'd appreciate it if you told me what you think.
http://docdro.id/bHc5lxH
It's the first thing I've wrote which actually has a proper character arc and meaning instead of just random sketches.
>>
>>87633269

PV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcVGDV67L-g
EP 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_rz1bluG_k
OP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycfdfinG_P8
ED1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXDNGS9V4Us
ED2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4DyTjrruVo
>>
>>87633269

Stop posting that because it's already a thing.

https://www.fictionpress.com/s/3206139
>>
>>87633269
A boy falls in love with a girl.

Unable to confess, he is gifted by a deus ex machina with the girl's phone number. Never minding the strange area code, he immediately calls her, and is overjoyed to find out that she has a crush on him as well.

But, the next day, when he recounts the previous day's confessions to the girl, she only looks at him with a perplexed expression. After some investigation, he finds out that the girl he called is not the same girl he fell in love with. In fact, she doesn't exist in this universe at all. She is the girl's alternate universe counterpart, who has fallen in love with the MC's own AU self, who too is blissfully unaware of her crush.

Hijinks ensue as the two strike up a deal to give each other their darkest, most private secrets in order to equip the other with the weapons they need to conquer the heart of their other selves. While the two chase their respective loved ones, DRAMA ensues as they begin to fall in love with each other instead and question the NATURE of LOVE.
>>
File: 1233276452871.jpg (67KB, 604x422px) Image search: [Google]
1233276452871.jpg
67KB, 604x422px
>>87633269
>>
>>87637198
Yeah but how do you make them finally meet up tho? Or is the twist that the more they talk over the phone with each other to talk strategy, they more they start disliking each other and the conclusion is that they were never actually in love with that person but rather the idea of that person they have in their head.
>>
>>87637198
>>>/a/
>>
>>87637198
Anime when?
>>
I had an idea of a modern setting missionary film almost like an Sci Fi contact film but with all modern technology through the eyes of an uncontacted Amazon tribe. The missionaries risk their lives to bring them aid and Christianity but have their faith tested when the tribe treat them like gods due to the technology and aid they bring with them.
>>
File: 1471684605617.jpg (110KB, 576x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1471684605617.jpg
110KB, 576x1024px
>>87637198
>>
I had an idea for a script, but I don't know how to write one, and it's already probably out there. How do i check if it's already a thing?
>>
>>87640216
You watch every movie ever made
>>
>>87641149
Cheers, I'll get right on it.
>>
>>87637198
do people still think this is a real original idea by some random anon on /tv/?
>>
>>87637827

It's not realistic enough because it has never happened before when a tribe has been contacted. They're always usually hostile and if they are shown technology, they think it's fascinating at best, but they are cognizant enough to realize they are not in the presence of gods.

To make it interesting it would have to be exaggerated and in doing so my suspension of disbelief could easily go away.
>>
>>87640216

give short synopsis
>>
>>87632798

Just out of curiosity, what program do you prefer to use when writing?
>>
>>87640216
Every idea has already been done. Your job is to do it better.
>>
>>87632798
Is it easier to write a book or a screenplay?
>>
>>87634987
What's documentary About? Hypothetically if it were about something like say global warming or conspiracy theories I'd interview people that actually consider themselves experts on the subject and put it into my fake narrative
>>
>>87641280
Yeah fair enough, I came up with it today reading a news article that included those aerial photos of the Amazon tribes looking up as the plane flew over and thought it would be interesting.
>>
>>87637198
We need the bane version.
>>
I'm making a script about two dudes that get together to make a film. But I just use that as a excuse to have the two main characters have a few adventures and complications along the way. One of the characters is an opportunist and the other is a dude that doesn't have an idea about how to make a film.
>>
>>87641327
final draft 10. best part of this program is that it does the screenplay formatting for you and it looks good.
>>87641362
if this is how you approach creative writing, then it's not for you. writing needs to be effective in a number of ways and if you're looking for shortcuts or the "easiest route", you've already failed. neither are harder or easier than the other, they both take degrees of commitment and motivation and above all, knowledge.
>>
>>87641681
>>
>>87641712
Yeah but which is easier
>>
>>87641712

Cool thanks, I'll give it a look.

>>87641736

Awesome movie. One of my filmmaking bibles.
>>
>>87641777
sucking my balls
>>
Don't know if you remember me I was writing a time travel series about a father who goes back in time to save his daughter.

In august we got seed funding for a pilot with TNT.
>>
>>87641327
Been using Celtx Free basically since I started writing. Shit works, if you're cool with them constantly asking you to upgrade.
>>
>>87641777
Book. You can be a flowery little shit there and no one's gonna fuck you in the ass about formatting.
>>
>>87632798
m8 if your friend is directing it he can write the script however he wants
Those "rules" only exist when you're selling your shit to somebody else
Check out Nightcrawler script
>>
>>87641327
>>87641991

Fade in is good, basically final draft without all the gimmicky beat maps and useless "plotting devices"
>>
>>87642077
you don't need to use the gimmicks. just ignore them and it's like they're not even there
>>
>>87642106
True I just think that they put all that shit in there to pretend like it's worth the hundreds of dollars they charge, though I imagine you didn't pay for it, neither did I.
>>
>>87642155
yeah i guess they're just padding their program. no way did I pay
>>
>>87641327
Trelby for me, it 100% does what I need and 0% what I don't need
You can export it to Fountain too to keep a standard copy
>>
>>87641984
I already saw it, it sucks
>>
>>87642190
If I were inclined to choose a program to purchase and be a morally upright citizen not the filthy pirate scum that I am. I'd definitely pay the $45 for Fade In, it even exports in final draft files so there's no muh "industry standard" argument no studio would even know.
>>
>>87642298
that's pretty cool. ill keep that in mind for the future.
>>
>>87642328
Have you had anything you've written produced?
>>
File: hhhhhhhh44.jpg (43KB, 560x678px) Image search: [Google]
hhhhhhhh44.jpg
43KB, 560x678px
aussie here.
thinking of writing a found footage horror (yeah i know, real original) about a yowie in springbrook national park on the border of nsw and qld. ive been there several times and its an absolutely beautiful place to camp, explore, hike etc.
a yowie is kind of like the abo's version of a bigfoot and the basic premise i'd have is pretty much exactly copy the format for blair witch; they prepare for camp, interview locals about the yowie and possible sightings and set out their plan. they then proceed to the park and set up camp, however i'd like it to just be set in one night rather than spanned over a weekend due to their unprofessional approach and the surprising and aggressive nature of the yowie.
i have an idea of what the yowie would sound like: https://youtu.be/x8oLu7znwQ0?t=50s
if the time stamp doesn't work in the link, just skip to 50 seconds and listen to the koala growling at the end. i think it would work great.
>>
>>87642446
the things i've written aren't of great quality since im still just learning. but hopefully in the future i can feel confident enough to pitch something to someone.
>>
>>87642258
We haven't even shot it yet. We still have to cast and choose a shoot location. We're looking at Vancouver.
>>
>>87642498
I'm Aussie too, made any shorts?
>>
>>87643107
no experience with filmmaking whatsoever, just very keen on writing.
>>
>>87641327
notepad
Thread posts: 74
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.