[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've been watching a lot of Christopher Nolan movies recently,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 7

I've been watching a lot of Christopher Nolan movies recently, and one thing that I've noticed is that the dialogue in his movies serves mainly to heighten the drama in the movie, and does not capture the way actual people talk. Real conversations have uncertainty, awkwardness, and personality. I get that that's kind of his directing style, but can anyone recommend movies or tv shows with dialogue that actually sounds like conversations two real humans would have with each other?
>>
He explains things far too much to the audience. He thinks it's called "tell business".

Memento, Insomnia, BB and TDK are great but the rest is just schlock.
>>
>what the actual fuck?
>what even is this?
>oh...
>hey, oh nevermind
Why would you want any of that?
>>
File: friends-sitcom-trivia.jpg (43KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
friends-sitcom-trivia.jpg
43KB, 600x450px
>>87623397
Actually the best part of any movie or series is noticing no one laughing. For example, once you remove the laugh track from Friends, you notice no one is actually laughing at anyone's jokes. It's just a bunch of sociopaths making snide and mean comments at one another with literally no one being amused by it.

Living in a social circle like that must be an absolute waking nightmare.
>>
>>87623539
That scene in 300 when the dude is like "WE FIGHTING IN DA SHADE NOW LEL" and the whole army starts laughing is a masterpiece
>>
>>87623397
I thought that's what most movies do
>>
>>87623444
I listen to a lot of podcasts and Youtube videos featuring two or more people playing video games together, which are essentially real people having real conversations. Even though I've never personally met the people in the podcasts or videos, I feel like I know them as well as a friend; I'm happy for their accomplishments and emphasize with their problems. After being accustomed to that, the dialogue in dramatic movies seem clunky and unrealistic to me; the characters are harder to emphasize with. I watch them anyway because I love watching movies, but it's always been a pet peeve of mine.
>>
File: Data.jpg (210KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Data.jpg
210KB, 1024x768px
>>87623736
>I feel like I know them as well as a friend
>>
>>87623397
I get what you are meaning but no movie dialogue is realistic, maybe if Goldblums in it but even then
>>
>>87623441
Inception is actually kino as fuck
>>
>>87623397
That's why Dunkirk is his best film. He realized dialogue isn't his strong suit and cut most of it out.
>>
A lot of gritty drama films go too far the other way and try and make the dialogue as "real" and awkward as possible and it fucking sucks tbqh. Certainly not what I'm watching a Nolan movie for.
>>
>>87623444
This. It's bad enough listening to people talking in an inarticulate and dull way in the real world. Why would you want it in films as well?
>>
the other end of the spectrum is the tarantino effect where an ersatz "real" conversation takes place that in its own way doesn't resemble real conversation despite desperately trying to resemble it. i'd rather take poised and calculated dialogue than forced 'casual' talk
>>
ITS *gasps* WHAT YOU DO *gasps* THAT DEFINES *clears throat* YOU
>>
File: 1478905781005.gif (114KB, 917x708px) Image search: [Google]
1478905781005.gif
114KB, 917x708px
>>87623736
holy fuck consider just ending your shit
>>
File: palpatine.jpg (21KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
palpatine.jpg
21KB, 400x300px
>>87623444
>>87624159
>>87624032
Not everyone needs to sound like an autistic sperg. Sometimes it's just nice to hear what people sound like in their off-time to help flesh them out as characters. What DID Palpatine and Vader talk about when they weren't just scheming? That's why the Auralnauts edit resonated more with me.
>>
>>87624555
>What DID Palpatine and Vader talk about when they weren't just scheming?
You really don't have any idea how movies work, do you?
>>
>>87624587
Sorry, Scorsese.
>>
>>87624714
You don't have to be sorry, just don't be an idiot.
>>
his movies feel like 2 hour long trailers to me, also I don't like most Hans Zimmer scores
>>
I saw a similar thread on /lit/, requesting books whose dialogues most match the cadences of everyday conversation. The authors I saw mentioned most in the thread, like Salinger and McCarthy, used their realistic dialogue as a means for expressing their artistic vision as well as keeping their readers engaged. In the film industry, I cannot think of any movies that are centered on realistic dialogue; as >>87623444 and >>87624159 point out, that would be pretty boring. The best I can think of are Key and Peele sketches, as they often capture the articulations of real groups of people as part of their satire. One of my favorite sketches, Black Republicans, does a beautiful job of this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2tLyqfJd54
>>
>>87623397
no movie has real conversations. Real conversations meander and often don't have a point. Shit like that gets really boring in a film.
>>
File: 1382851432043.gif (118KB, 500x341px) Image search: [Google]
1382851432043.gif
118KB, 500x341px
>>87624799
>I don't like most Hans Zimmer scores

I like the one score he wrote for gladiator, hate the countless times he's copied it since.
>>
>>87624726
You do have to be sorry though. For being a retard.
>>
>>87625382
It took you almost 20 minutes to think of that. Think about that happening in a movie and tell me why you would defend it.
>>
>>87623539
Damn... really makes you think
>>
>>87625397
No. Kill yourself.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.