[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did the Terminator series abandon the original future war

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 8

File: adfasdfasdfasdfasf.jpg (42KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
adfasdfasdfasdfasf.jpg
42KB, 1024x576px
>>
>>87591313
Black hawk down/saving private Ryan ruined war in films
>>
>>87591313
Look too dorky
>>
>>87591617
This. Just watched Saving Private Ryan the other day.
>>
>>87591313
McG wanted sepia toned crap and Terminator's that couldn't kill people.
>>
>>87591617
>ruined

They achieved the pinnacle of war films. Only ones that come close are Zero Dark Thirty and Hacksaw Ridge.
>>
>>87591680
Interesting... I have completely the opposite take, to me it looks nightmarish in a real way. But there's no arguing taste.
I feel that Salvation had too many daytime scenes. In the future war scenes in the first two movies, you're never even sure if there is a daytime any more in the future. Also, Salvation made the humans too strong. The first two movies made it seem that the future war was continuously brutal, with humans living like rats in the ruins of the old world. Salvation made the war seem less horrific, since the humans had lots of space away from the killer machines and could set up bases and camp out and stuff.
>>
I don't even think the people who did the sequels understood why the first one was good in general. They couldn't wat to give Skynet some evil angry personality instead of making it a heartless logical machine programmed to systematically eliminate everyone. The series should have logically concluded after T2 anyway, they never really gave a good excuse why Skynet still happened.
>>
File: MQ-9-Reaper_2083967b.jpg (32KB, 620x388px) Image search: [Google]
MQ-9-Reaper_2083967b.jpg
32KB, 620x388px
I don't like T3 much, but I think it at least did a good job of connecting the creepiness of the tech of the first two movies to modern military automation. This was a natural source of unease that the series could have mined. I mean, we literally do have hunter-killers now, it's just that they're ultimately piloted by humans rather than by a sentient AI. Scary stuff.
>>
>>87591954
Agreed. It's the Borg Queen mistake all over again.
>>
>>87591804
This.
>>
File: 600px-TSCC_23.jpg (59KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
600px-TSCC_23.jpg
59KB, 600x338px
Another reason the TV series is better than anything after T2. The future actually looked like the future.
>>
File: 1439488563506.jpg (562KB, 2160x2184px) Image search: [Google]
1439488563506.jpg
562KB, 2160x2184px
>>87591313
>MFW PLEBS WHO DIDNT SEE THE NEW T2 REMASTER IN REALD 3D IN THEATER
BUNCHA DICKWADS
>>
>>87591744
>Terminator's that couldn't kill people.
Disablors...Incarcerators
>>
>tfw you never got a terminator set in the future during the war and then you remember you actually did and it was called Terminator Salvation and they got rid of all the purple lasers
>>
>>87591809
>I feel that Salvation had too many daytime scenes.

I feel that Salvation had a script written by a Mr Potato Head toy.

*ksssshhht* John Connor is on the ground, I repeat, John Connor is on the ground! *ksssshhht*
>>
File: PBF036ADHugbot.jpg (67KB, 750x273px) Image search: [Google]
PBF036ADHugbot.jpg
67KB, 750x273px
>>87594375
>>
FUCK YOU JAMES CAMERON, GET THE FRANCHISE BACK AND GIVE ME MY PURPLE LASERS, MY ETERNAL BLUE MIDNIGHT, MY ROVING 1980s ROBOTS, MY TECHNO MUSIC, AND AN UNREASONABLE AMOUNT OF HUMAN SKULLS THAT ARE LYING AROUND JUST SO A ROBOT CAN STEP ON THEM. JUST DO IT AND I'LL SUCK YOUR COCK BETTER THAN LINDA AND GALE HURD DID.
>>
The one redeeming quality of Genisys is that it tried to replicate the look of the future war of the original film instead of this grimdark realism crap that was pushed by Salvation
>>
>>87592072
I honestly don't think it will be long until there's drones piloted by an AI. I doubt we'd hear about it though.
>>
>>87591954
And T2 ended things so nicely.
>>
>>87591313
I think that looks a bit dated really. Very 80's.
>>
>>87591313

Aesthetics of the era.

In the 70s, that scene would be done in a clean, brightly lit city with people dressed in robot suits going beep boop while spraying people with bubble bath.

Terminator was just at the start of the GRITTY WAR OF HOPELESSNESS of things and used what it had. Meanwhile, the later movies released with the CoD audience and realistic war drama shit so thats what they aim for.

As said in every thread, disney/hollywood is a mistake and the marketing kills franchises.
>>
>>87595436

>they never gave an excuse

Except that in 2, they realised that no matter what, Skynet would happen. All they did was offset it by a few years, hence why Sarah Connor just stockpiled weapons regardless of the events of 2.
>>
Why did the Terminator series abandon good movies?
>>
>>87595369
Salvation > Genisys. Genisys was fucking hot garbage
>Arnie suddenly can turn into a liquid metal terminator
>fat Sarah Connor
>terminator John Connor
>Dr. Skynet
>bland as fuck Reese
>nonsensical future scenes (terminator truck drivers) versus Salvation's intelligent terminator designs
>clusterfuck of timelines and retcons
>>
>>87591313
>Why did the Terminator series abandon the original future war aesthetic?

It didn't if you accept that only The Terminator and Terminator 2: Judgment Day exist in the series.

Plus potentially James Camerons new one that he talked about.
>>
>>87594239
>MFW PLEBS WHO DIDNT SEE THE NEW T2 REMASTER IN REALD 3D IN THEATER

>implying I didn't see it and enjoy seeing the future war scene on a glorious huge cinema screen in 4k 3D
>what a time to be alive!
>>
>>87591680
I don't know when I was a kid and I saw Terminator skeleton I felt seriously disturbed, same with Harvesters, the idea that people are cattle harvested for materials.
>>
File: Despair but also an erection.jpg (13KB, 235x235px) Image search: [Google]
Despair but also an erection.jpg
13KB, 235x235px
>>87591313
>mfw conner's future dreamvision gf got bugsplattered by the giant laser
>>
File: spoop.jpg (64KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
spoop.jpg
64KB, 1280x720px
>>87599567
WHAT ABOUT THE NUCLEAR SHOCKWAVE BLASTING HER FLESH OFF HER SKELETON AS HER FINGERS STAY GRIPPED TO THE CHAIN LINK FENCE

T2 IS NIGHTMARE FUEL AS A KID
>>
>>87594375
The one at the end was aptly called Tossinator at the time
>>
Terminators are supposed to kill people on sight, not capture people alive and bring them back to concentration camps
>>
>>87591313
They didn't abandon it, I think that if 3 had gotten its direct sequel as original planned that we might have gotten the original look because it was made as two-parter, explaining the downbeat ending that's also the beginning of the future war.

I think that the makers of Salvation tried to apply the now trendy formula of stretching a premise as much as possible, so instead of giving us the future war right away they pulled this non-sensical scenario out of their asses where we have A10 aircrafts and nuclear submarines still in working condition when we know Skynet would never allow that to happen, either attacking them directly or letting the russians target them during their counterattack (well this is from T2, not sure if T3 still followed this).

One of the few things Genisys did right was keeping the original look and forgetting the groan-inducing Mad Max ripoff from Salvation.

>>87600726
One of the two scripts Salvation was based on had them transported to a resort-like skynet facility. They didn't go all the way in the movie proper so it's even more of a mess as there's not reason for them to do that, even in the movie's logic.
>>
The matrix did it better
>>
>>87599641
Ya t2 was actually horrifying to me as a kid not only the skin melting scene but also that scene where Sarah is about to snipe the black dude through a window in his own house, shit freaked me out. Always felt like I was about to get sniped off in my own home
>>
>>87601274
kek, I was afraid of Aug 29th 1997

millennials too young to watch t2 before that date will never know the dread
>>
>>87591313

salvation was the best one by far.
>>
>>87591313
The only one that fucked it up was salvation. Even 3 and genesys got post judgement day right.
>>
>>87594239
Still pissed off that I missed it. They'll show it again with even better 3D for the 30th anniversary, right?
>>
>>87591809
I was under the impression Salvation occurs something like 10 years prior to the snippets we see in T2. In Salvation Connor looks mid 30's where in T2 He looks mid 40's.
In Salvation Connor even gets scars that are deeply ingrained into his face in the opening to T2.
That's why there's no laser guns and grimdark aesthetic yet - it hasn't reached that point.
>>
>>87594129
except we don't know what the future looks like, because, yknow, it's in the future lmao you idiot
>>
>>87599641
>NIGHTMARE FUEL
go back
>>
>>87601274
>>87599641
It scared me as a child but I also used to play Terminators too with my brothers and friends.
>fence near park we sometimes go to
>some kids on those spring mounted horses
>kneel on the other side of the fence and start screaming pretending I was caught in a nuclear blast
>grab stickguns and go innawoods
>>
>>87602243
What in the goddamned hell are you talking about
>>
>>87602026
Do you have any 2nd chance theatres near you? That's where I caught it a couple days back. Well worth seeing. Would go again if I had the time.
>>
>>87602282
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX9hL93HPMI
Reenacting that scene at the park as a child.
>>
T4 had a neat aesthetic. It showed the early years of the future war. The big machine vehicles were equipped with energy weapons but the terminators weren't yet.

It's true though, the humans had way too many toys and too much breathing room, but I guess that's because Skynet hadn't peaked in size yet.
>>
>>87592072
>automation
>creepiness of the tech
Sorry but terminator is the evil skeleton soldiers we get from the fantasy genre

And the first two movies are mainly about terminators who are just talking humans

And if anything the Salvation that you people hate so much actually tried bike drone and automated factory.

But so what? You people hate it because it gave Skynet a face
>>
I don't like purple laser but I appreciate the main idea ITT that the robotic war should be scary for footsoldiers.

What do you people have in mind though? I mean now that we have the real drones and robots replacing human workers. We should get some better movies about this
>>
>>87602282
Fucking retarded youngfag
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.