[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Malick's Best?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

File: reallybadlands.jpg (77KB, 524x387px) Image search: [Google]
reallybadlands.jpg
77KB, 524x387px
>never got around to a Malick
>decided on Badlands because debut film
>most say it's his best
>no bad reviews anywhere, I mean NONE

It's shit. I had to turn it off twice this last week before powering through the end. It's beautifully shot with great color but the spoonfed exposition narration just steals scene after scene. [Holly literally narrates that her dad is killing her dog while her dad is killing her dog. Then Kit just shows up unannounced and shoots her dad. Holly has no reaction to this, she actually asks if they should call a doctor. The movie has okay parts and it's pretty good for someones debut film but his best? I would certainly hope not.

I once shut Suspiria off several times and it is now one of my favorite horrors however I just see no redeeming qualities in Badlands that wold ever lead me back, so /tv/ is Badlands Malick's best?
>>
I really liked it and the Sissy character behaves pretty believably.
There really isn't much to the film though, it's just his most coherent story
>>
>>87478835
She just did not seem phased by her dad getting shot. There was no reason for her or the audience to feel resentment toward her dad at that point since the dog killing scene was completely botched by narration. It's definitely coherent alright, to the point of boring.
>>
>>87478977
>She just did not seem phased by her dad getting shot.
"Fugate was not there, and after Fugate's mother and stepfather, Velda and Marion Bartlett, told him to stay away, Starkweather killed them with his shotgun, then killed their two-year-old daughter Betty Jean by strangling and stabbing her.[5] After Fugate arrived, they hid the bodies behind the house. "
>>
File: malick.jpg (27KB, 460x276px) Image search: [Google]
malick.jpg
27KB, 460x276px
>>87478507
>caresses your wheat
>>
File: 1502653493104.jpg (110KB, 500x742px) Image search: [Google]
1502653493104.jpg
110KB, 500x742px
>>87478507
Honestly KNIGHT OF CUPS is his best but you should probably watch DAYS OF HEAVEN next.
>>
I've never seen anyone calling it his best, just his most accessible and traditional. Day of heaven for its golden cinematography and thin red line for its poetic approach to the ww2 genre are typically considered his best and are more philosophical and spiritual than badlands while still retaining universal appeal and Hollywood romanticism. Tree of life is a beautiful film about memories and family. His fans all have different favorites though, even the new world or to the wonder can be considered his best by some. His style and narration can be repetitive but you should see them as attempts to create deep emotional intimacy with the characters, their doubts and passions etc rather than plot exposition.
>>
>>87480475
I tried to find a bad review of it and they just do not exist. Most added that it was their favorite and his best, which is what confused me after viewing. I will try Days of Heaven next.
>>
You know if you watch it knowing what the real life Kit was like, you would hate it even more.
The real life kit was a real piece of shit and the girl was too, he was not a misunderstood youth trying to survive like Malick implied.
I know is not 100% accurate, but Malick goes too far in trying to makes sympathize with them and it just doesn't work in the end.

It has nice cinematography and ok performances but thats it, is probably among Malicks worse.
>>
>>87478507
There is no such thing as Malick's best
>>
File: ttol.webm (3MB, 1280x688px) Image search: [Google]
ttol.webm
3MB, 1280x688px
the tree of life
>>
It's a pretty dream-like spacey film. I went into it expecting that and got just that. I'd probably be pissed if I expected things to be more real life you know
>>
>>87478507
>he cants even finish a flick

but yeah your opinion is sooooo valuable

genPLEB
>>
File: 79.webm (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
79.webm
2MB, 1280x720px
>>
>>87482797
think this film was made solely for people with 100-105 IQ to jerk off over
>>
>>87483038
did you read my whole post you fucking shitwit?
>>
>>87478507
If you think the voice overs are obnoxious in Badlands then I advise you to never watch another Malick film because they're all 10x worse. Especially his more recent films like Tree of Life.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.