[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is Lynch's best film?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 9

File: weird man.jpg (50KB, 592x299px) Image search: [Google]
weird man.jpg
50KB, 592x299px
What is Lynch's best film?
>>
Molholland is his magnum opus but contrarians will say eraserhead
>>
>>87444677

Eraserhead is one of his most popular and acclaimed films. What's so contrarian about calling it his best? Lynch tryhards will go for Lost Highway or Inland Empire, now what seems to be the case now, Twin Peaks season 3.
>>
Lost Highway

anyone who says its tryhard doesn't get it
>>
>>87444466
eraserhead
>>
Nobody will ever admit it, but the real answer is Dune.
>>
>>87444945
aren't all his films try hard?
>>
Rabbits
>>
File: ooook.jpg (38KB, 1180x1000px) Image search: [Google]
ooook.jpg
38KB, 1180x1000px
>tfw secretly think Elephant Man is the best
>scared of being bullied by mean /tv/ users
M-Mulholand Drive
>>
>>87445023
He tries very little.

>come up with idea
>film it
>fit things together in editing

>tell actor a word or sentence to influence their performance
>sometimes don't tell them shit
>>
>>87444466
Lost highway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VeYVUboXLI
>>
Mulholland Drive easily, but because it's more accessible than Lost Highway and features scenes of extroversion, camp and women, it triggers this board.
>>
>>87445090
This.
Elephant Man is his best imo.
Really wish he would've stuck to those kind of movies instead of those mindfuck flicks. Not saying they're bad, they're just something else, but i prefer his more not-so-artsy movies.
>>
FWWM
>>
Dune
>>
>>87445219
The Straight Story is a good nice straight storytelling.
>>
File: blue-velvet.jpg (128KB, 1200x797px) Image search: [Google]
blue-velvet.jpg
128KB, 1200x797px
Without question - Blue Velvet
The first part of Wild at Heart is his best though
>>
>>87444466
The Fly remake
>>
Blue Velvet
>>
The Empire Strikes Back
>>
>>87445251
Underrated.

I never saw an episode of Twin Peaks, and I loved FWWM. Maybe that's the secret ...
>>
Twin Peaks The Return
>>
File: correct_answer.png (294KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
correct_answer.png
294KB, 400x300px
>>87444945
>>
Jurassic Park
>>
>>87445517
>Underrated.
Hardly. Everyone and their mother loves it now.
It's no longer underrated.
>>
File: David_Lynch.jpg (17KB, 470x317px) Image search: [Google]
David_Lynch.jpg
17KB, 470x317px
>tfw literally all you films are mentioned in a "best film" thread
>except Wild at Heart, obviously
>fucknicholascage.jpg
>feelsgoodman

The mark of a genius, I think.
>>
>>87445756
>>except Wild at Heart, obviously
Pleb
>>87445365
>>
>>87445251
the missing pieces >>>> fwwm

i'm 100% serious. is a great experimental film if you ignore all the bullshit preexisting lore.
>>
>>87444466
Twin Peaks: The Return
Blue Velvet
Mulholland Drive
>>
Mulholland Drive and Inland Empire.

However, Twin Peaks: The Return is the best thing Lynch has ever done
>>
Mulholland Drive had the biggest effect on me, it wasn't one of those movies I just forgot the next day or even week. FWWM, Blue Velvet and The Elephant Man are the only other Lynch films I've seen and they're all great.
>>
>>87444466
Mulholland Dr.
Blue Velvet

these 2 are masterpieces.
then, i personally have a soft spot for Eraserhead
I hope someone says Dune
>>
File: comfy greek man.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
comfy greek man.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>87445756
I like Wild at Heart but it is no where near his best and I was thinking the same thing as i was scrolling through
>>
Blue Velvet
>>
>>87445365
I hate Wild at Heart, but the club scene in beginning so damn great.
>>
FWWM > Blue Velvet > Mulholland Dr.
>>
Lost highway is great man
>>
>>87445320
"I can see it in a man right away"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87mWUoKhNyA
>>
>>87445365
THIS

But I'm a sucker for Nicolas Cage (aka Nicolas Kino)
>>
>>87445023
Liking them is, in a way.
>>
top 3 for me would be eraserhead, fire walk with me, and mulholland drive. hard to narrow it down from there. i would say FWWM is the most uneven, but it might also have the highest highs.
>>
>>87445251
With The Missing Pieces, definitely.
>>
>>87450494
>with an extra hour and a half, for only a few good scenes
>>
>>87444945
Try hardest movie in history. Lost Highway is a hallmark of bad experimental cinema.
>>
>>87450517
Sorry you're too much of a brainlet to keep focused for an extra hour, maybe try TBBT?
>>
Inland Empire

Runners up are Blue Velvet and Eraserhead

>Mulholland Dr.
Normie trash
>>
Heineken? Fuck that shit! PABST BLUE RIBBON!
>>
>>87450601
>I like the shit fan edit rather than the film Lynch released to cinemas
>Pete arguing about the length of a block of wood really fits in with the rest of the film
>tbbt is more for you
You sound like you're from Facebook
>>
>>87450619
suave motherfucker detected
>>
>>87450619
>>87450768
Can those moments in Blue Velvet be considered product placement? Because Lynch went on about hating product placement in some interview IIRC.
>>
>>87450710
>hurr I don't know what studio pressure to cut down is because this is my first week on /tv/
Adult issues cucked us out of that "extra" hour, and the shitty critics cucked us out of two more movies. Hell, production was a mess entirely. Nothing went as intended with the initial release of FWWM.
>>
Twin Peaks: The Return (2017)
>>
Inland Empire
TP: The Return comes close
>>
>>87450816
It's a little funny of him to do so when consumerism is such an integral part of Americana.
>>
>>87450842
Lynch chose to remove those scenes because it didn't fit with the tone of the film. He wanted it to be focused on Laura, with the first 30 minutes being sequel bait.
Some fan who tries to edit the tonally jarring and out of place scenes into the film can't change that.
>>
File: 4c2.jpg (73KB, 853x480px) Image search: [Google]
4c2.jpg
73KB, 853x480px
>>87444466

There can only be one.

MUAD'DIB! MUAD'DIB! MUAD'DIB! MUAD'DIB!
>>
>>87445090
lol, imagine if you were me:

Dune is my favorite (besides Fire Walk With Me)
>>
That isn't Inland Empire
>>
File: normallynch.jpg (8KB, 180x280px) Image search: [Google]
normallynch.jpg
8KB, 180x280px
>>87444466
straight story
>>
But "Dune" (1984) was directed by a certain Mr. Alan Smithee, not David Lynch. I've never heard of him before, but it seems to be a common misconception that David Lynch directed the film when in fact he did.
>>
>>87451321
Did you read the book before watching the movie? I did, but apparently a lot of the criticism of the film was that it was too confusing to people who didn't read the book beforehand. I can understand that. In my opinion, reading the book first enhances the experience of watching the movie.
>>
>>87451453
That was only the TV cuts he Smithee'd
>>
>>87451475
movie is fucking great

sting is cray cray

mclauchlin is perfect
>>
>>87444466
boat (youtube exclusive)
or "hotel room"
>>
>>87452201

Congratulations, you won the "biggest hipster alive"-award.
>>
Inland Empire, followed closely by FWWM. If I had to pick a third I would probably say Lost Highway. I'll agree that S3 is up there at the top though
>>87451333
I approve of this
>>
>>87452259
I really really appreciate the Dumbland Bluray edition with hidden extras.

You won the Alzheimer awareness award, congratulations.

you asshole! let's be serious for a second, okay? you are an asshole. won't you admit that "The amputee" was Lynch's most avantgarde work?? Not even the Lumiere challange came even close to this brilliant extravaganza. It is short, it has incredible effects, it has drama (monologue), it has smoking as a key element. "The amputee" is ... KINO!
>>
>>87451362
>>87451362
>>87451362
>>
>>87450816
I was curious about that too. But if you watch Twin Peaks The Return, there are Macs, PCs, Mercedes, rolexes, etc everywhere. It seems pretty clear, with competing brands and not blatant placement, that he just picks real world products to add to the realism or relatability. In Blue Velvet, the point was to highlight the personalities of the characters. Lynch could have made up two beer brands for the same concept, but the effect would not have been the same
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (62KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
62KB, 1280x720px
Mulholland Drive just because of this scene.
>>
>>87452528
That scene is one of Lynch's best, but so are, say, the Lost Highway phone call one, the dream in FWWM, or the hallway in Inland Empire, and all those were far better movies around those scenes
>>
>>87452528
What was his fucking problem
>>
>>87451475
Different anon, I figured my not having read the book enhanced because I had no idea if it strayed or not. Dune is a bit jumbled and the finale is underwhelming, but honestly its still a good movie (even if not entirely Lynch's). MacLachlan and really all of the casting is great, the set designs are amazing, and though there is poor cgi, the practical effects are also very impressive. To be honest it really wasn't that hard to follow or understand
>>
>>87452528
Very overrated in my opinion.
I think the intro with Laura Harring in the limo is the best. There was an ominous atmosphere during it, which I had hoped (and was led to believe) would be the same throughout.
>>
>>87451398
Truly underrated. This movie is extremely touching. When he tells the story about his daughter with the runaway girl...
>>
>>87451321
And how can this be? For he IS the Kwisatz Haderach!
>>
>>87453668
Yea the diner scene has been hyped up a lot here. The whole movie is superb though. I love the feeling of it.
>>
>>87452889
Sorry but wrong.
Without reading the book you can't really have any idea what's going on behind the scenes at all. Go read it!
>>
the angriest dog in the world is his best work
>>
>>87454192
Who cares you fucking nerd
>>
>>87452528
Yeah, it's 90% that guy's performance though. I never found the bum very frightening, but his dread is tangible.
>>
>>87454278
His dread sucks me into that scene so well. I know dreamlike gets thrown around a lot when discussing Lynch but that scene really does feel like a nightmare.
>>
>>87444466
Blue Velvet is my favorite. I love Dennis Hoppers, and he crushed his role. Plus the music and ambiance is great as always with Lynch
>>
>>87444466
The Elephant Man, alrite
>>
>>87444466
Blue Velvet (perfect balance of unconscious connections while not having to try too hard) > Eraserhead (not a terribly enjoyable watch at times but it did the most for him) > Lost Highway > Mulholland Drive > The Elephant Man > Fire Walk With Me > Inland Empire > Dune >>>>>>>>> Wild At Heart
>>
>>87450816
He also mentioned Budweiser.
>ah, the king of beers
>>
Out of interest, I've heard the scene where Jeffrey watches Dorothy in Blue Velvet whilst in the wardrobe is iconic. Had there not been a scene like it before or something?
As in, are there other films before Blue Velvet with a character looking at another through a wardrobe?
>>
the straight story, its from the heart as opposed to the subconcious
>>
>>87444945
This

>>87450586
Bollocks
Thread posts: 89
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.