[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why did this have to be PG-13 it really takes you out of the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: images.jpg (8KB, 182x277px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
8KB, 182x277px
why did this have to be PG-13

it really takes you out of the movie when this huge bombs drop on people and nothing happens to them
sure they are "dead", but all you actually see are some extras laying in the sand pretending...

there were some other issues as well, for example the lack of any form of character or dialogue etc. but this bloodlessness really annoyed me
and not because I'm sort of edgelord who just wants to see limbs flying around, but some actual immersion into the movie
>>
>>87434723
Because it is basically The Wages of Fear in a war setting, most of the film is people drowning which requiers zero blood.
Nolan explicitly said multiple times that he didn't want to make a yet another Saving Private Ryan where the main point is the physical fear, while Dunkirk goes more with psychological fears like claustrophobia/being drowned/torpedoed/bombed.

Also he surely woudn't get as much money for the budget to make it from the studio if he wanted to make it R rated. I think it's a fair change because really the only scene that needs blood is the aftermath of the first bombing scene and that's it.
>>
>>87434881
>I think it's a fair change because really the only scene that needs blood is the aftermath of the first bombing scene and that's it.
not true, it already starts with the opening scene... the british soldiers basically look like "oh no, got hit, am dead". it just looks so annoyingly clean
also there are people on deck when the ships get bombed or you could show them floating in the water

>while Dunkirk goes more with psychological fears like claustrophobia/being drowned/torpedoed/bombed.
I get this, but sometimes it doesn't work... let's take the torpedo scene for example, the scene would have been better if a first torpedo missed the ship and all they could do really is wait for the second, instead it just shows up and hits the boat
plus, it's hard to feel claustrophobic if you constantly switch between close scenes and then some guy flying above the ocean in broad daylight
>>
>>87435151
>it already starts with the opening scene... the british soldiers basically look like "oh no, got hit, am dead"
Hollywood has warped your mind, look at any actual war footage and tell me if there is any vivid blood splashing or guts falling from just a few rifle shots. People just go down.

>the scene would have been better if a first torpedo missed the ship and all they could do really is wait for the second, instead it just shows up and hits the boat
Hardly disagree. If that was the case then you would lose all the tension and it would just be chaotic panic until the second torpedo comes. The way it is portrayed in the film is that you're not even aware that being immediately torpedoed and drowned is a current threat until the main character says it to Styles and suddenly the joyful eating becomes entirely claustrophobic, tight and tense with just those few words until the actual torpedo comes and all hell breaks loose.

>it's hard to feel claustrophobic if you constantly switch between close scenes and then some guy flying above the ocean in broad daylight
That Spitfire cockpit sure isn't big either, is it?
>>
Nolan makes movies for kids, teens and adults.

So it's PG-13
>>
>>87434723
the lack of blood really does ruin the realistic war thing they try so hard to portray. thats all it needed to be a good history film but youre just not convinced when people are being bombed and there isn't a single shed of blood. i didn't mind the lack of dialogue or character development considering the purpose of the film, but the lack of at least mild gore doesn't do their whole realistic experience of war theme any justice
>>
>>87434723
>the lack of any form of character or dialogue
>issue

Fuck off. That's the best thing about this film. Film is a visual language. In my opinion it still had too much dialogue, I went in expecting Nolan to have gone full Bresson but there's still some exposition here and there like Brannagh on the pier and the conventionally Hollywood sappy music when the rescue boats arrive; I thought that really cheapened the whole film and would have been stronger if Nolan had kept his confidence in silence and trust in the audience. The soap opera-tier drama on the small fishing boat was also really poor and cliché. All the best moments in the film are moments where nothing is said but a lot is implied.
>>
>>87435720
>soap opera-tier drama on the small fishing boat
How was it soap opera-tier drama? It gave depth to the whole conflict and Rylance had the best perfomance of the entire cast, as always.
>>
>>87435775
Character falling and knocking his head is probably the most underwhelming and uncinematic way to kill off a character, and a lazy trope too often used in shitty TV series. I agree about Rylance though, I didn't like that storyline but the glance he exchanges with his son after he lies to the PTSD soldier about the kid's health is a beautiful moment.
>>
>>87435914
The "stupid" way he dies is literally the point of that whole scene and the character of George.
Nolan used it to show the juxtaposition of a senseless and pointless death of the boy with the senseless and pointless deaths of the soldiers on the other side. To show what stoicism is with the Rylance's son saying to the shellshocked soldier that the boy is alright. To show that in war old men get young men to die for them. To show that not all "war heroes" are the usual true heroes we all imagine them to be.
>>
>>87434723
because gore is pointless and distracting
>>
movie sucked btw
>>
movie rocks btw
>>
>>87436401
>>87436420
moviee
>>
>>87436786
socks
>>
>>87435347
True, really my only real complaint about the movie.
>>
>>87435318
>That Spitfire cockpit sure isn't big either, is it?

That scene where he sees his wingman waving from the water and takes it to mean he's ok.
Then the movie turns it around and he's panicked waving his arms as he's trapped in the cockpit.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.