[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hollywood’s big bet on China is backfiring

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 8

File: cuck.png (681KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
cuck.png
681KB, 1000x1000px
>It’s no secret that Hollywood has been trying to make up for shrinking ticket sales in the U.S. and Canada by turning to China, where the box office is booming. China’s government has been increasingly receptive to foreign films, lifting its quota for the number of titles that could be allowed in from 10 per year in the 90s to 34. The revenue cut for Hollywood has grown, too, from 10 percent to 25 percent, incentivizing studios to make formulaic films based on existing properties well-known from North America to East Asia, with little room for nuance that might be lost on audiences in any one market. Some of those movies, like Furious 7 and Warcraft, have done even better in China, furthering the stereotype that Chinese audiences want big, loud, flashy, unsophisticated films, and that brand recognition always beats out story or human connection.

>In 2017, blockbuster after blockbuster has flopped in both North America and China. The Mummy starring Tom Cruise landed with a thud. The live-action remake of the popular Japanese anime Ghost in the Shell starring Scarlett Johansson (which had investment from Chinese companies, a practice that has become more common in recent years as Hollywood and the Chinese film industry seek to work together) enjoyed a whitewashing casting controversy before it grossed a paltry $70 million at the US and Chinese box offices combined, failing to recoup its $110 million budget.
https://theoutline.com/post/2212/hollywood-s-big-bet-on-china-is-backfiring
Where's Hollywood going to get their shekels now?
>>
>>87427049
How do you say cuck in Chinese?
>>
>>87427049
GitS just a shitty movie.
Mummy actually got 400mil with a budget of 125. Why people say it bombed?
>>
>>87427121
>It's numbers and a super serial insider

wew
>>
>>87427049

>obviously shitty movies are bombing

BUT HOW
>>
China basically buttfucked the US movie industry, because now everything panders to soulless chinks.

The only thing that does make sense is that they hate niggers and have less respect for women than westerners even, so wtf is the deal with the SJW shit still getting crammed in?
>>
>>87427049
WHITEWASHING MEANS COVERING UP NASTY DETAILS WITH NICETIES

IT DOES NOT LITERALLY MEAN ADDING WHITE PEOPLE TO THE STORY
>hurr i know i'm just making a clever commentary cause YOU WHITE PEOPLE think black people are "nasty"
>i definitely didn't come up with that as an excuse cum eo

GOD these journalists write from the bottom of the god damn barrel.
>>
>>87427280
Thanks shillbrah. Keep grinding out those shekels.
>>
File: hypno02.gif (15KB, 300x244px) Image search: [Google]
hypno02.gif
15KB, 300x244px
>>87427271
>so wtf is the deal with the SJW shit still getting crammed in?

>he still thinks hollywood gazillionaires care about making even more money
>>
>>87427348
READ IT AGAIN CAREFULLY YOU DENSE MOTHERFUCKER
>>
File: poster.png (712KB, 1020x918px) Image search: [Google]
poster.png
712KB, 1020x918px
Fuck racist chinks
>>
Maybe they should stop making fantasy movies with special effects gimmick and go back to grounded movies with ACTING. Something like Groundhog Day is still fantasy and memorable without spending a bazillion dollars on CGI.
>>
>>87427370
So you're just a useful idiot? It's a made up controversy brah. It's not real.
>>
>>87427366
Well they're jews. So yeah.
>>
>>87427049

There's a Chinese Rambo film (in which a Chinese special forces badass "wins" Africa away from the U.S.) that's currently outgrossed the new Spider-Man...globally.
>>
>>87427049
it's not about the money
it's about brainwashing the chinese like the west
>>
>>87427121
Will anyone honestly miss Hollywood? It'll do so much better to just die completely and go back to low budget from the heart shit
>>
File: Master Plan.jpg (46KB, 786x450px) Image search: [Google]
Master Plan.jpg
46KB, 786x450px
>>87427487
the shekels are just a means to an end you dumb goy
>>
>>87427121

Even taking into account promotion and smaller cuts of the Chink box office etc etc - that's not a horrible total considering the awful movie, awful reviews, awful word of mouth. That's basically breaking even considering how maligned it was.
>>
>>87427402
I like how they enlarged the rows of stormtroopers.
>>
>>87427502
And you know this how?

jk...you're most likely a shill.

'''box office #'s''''
>>
>>87427280

Reminds me of the latest Disney controversy - "Whitewashing Aladdin"
They aren't even casting a white guy...there just happens to be a white character in the film.
>>
>>87427528
China is working with '''Hollywood'''
>>
>>87427049
Hollywood makes horrible movies. Indie films are the only things worth watching.
>>
>>87427576
>It's a msm/Hollywood fake criticizes itself shill
>>
>>87427085
>White Left

>>87427271
I was dying since the late 90s and shit movies are universally recognized as shit regardless of country. That's like saying ghostbusters was china fault.
>>
File: Do Jews Run Hollwood 4.jpg (149KB, 1105x461px) Image search: [Google]
Do Jews Run Hollwood 4.jpg
149KB, 1105x461px
>>87427542
This.
>>
>>87427587
>2017
>'indie' films

Keep sheistering shillbrah
>>
>>87427049
>hollywood making movies for communist sensibilties
so what exactly has changed? but seriously I hope hollywood dies
>>
>>87427554

Know what?

According to the offical box office tallies released by the studios

>Wolf Warrior (Chinese Rambo)
>5
>852 million

Coming in at number 6 is Wonder Woman.

Spidey is at number 8 with 747 million.

Or are you asking how I know what the plot is?

(I watched it at the movies)
>>
>>87427665
>According to the offical box office tallies released by the studios
Bwahahahaha

Are you gonna recite tv ratings next? Political polls? Oscar award winners?

fuck off
>>
>>87427402
why exactly do they care? if you're not in china how does this effect them at all?
>>
>>87427049
I guess even the Chinese have minimum quality standards
>>
>>87427717
People don't like to be reminded of how tolerant is compared to the rest of the world, because then they'd have to admit something positive about a country they love to shit on.
>>
>>87427433
What the fuck are you talking about? I don't care about the article.
"Whitewashing" isn't being used correctly here. Or anywhere. That's my gripe. Fucking college students can't speak english.
>>
>>87427711
What would you accept as evidence?
>>
>>87427598
You are one seriously misguided nutbar my dude.

Let's put it this way: cultural marxists have retconned the meaning of the phrase "whitewashing" in order to make bogus criticisms of movies they have no involvement in.
>>
>>87427953
dude, it's not worth it. let him live in his fantasy world. he's never going to admit you're right
>>
File: sketch-1498071026222.png (350KB, 720x827px) Image search: [Google]
sketch-1498071026222.png
350KB, 720x827px
If everyone in this thread regardless of position is a shill, then who isn't?
>>
>>87427987
More bullshit.

Try the same people run Hollywood/MSM and they fake criticize themselves for propaganda/social engineering purposes.
>>
>>87428008
Dude you've totally got us all fooled. Dude. Of course the only thing that's not bullshit in the media is the box office numbers. Dude. Because those are sacred. Wonder Woman totally made 10 garillion shekels dude. Dude.

Dude.
>>
File: Merchant ad infinitum.png (239KB, 501x585px) Image search: [Google]
Merchant ad infinitum.png
239KB, 501x585px
>>87428026
>>
>>87427761
Nah I think they just getting tired of seeing the same thing.
It's the same old dog and pony show.

I was into cape movies but after the second one (Ironman iirc), I was pretty much done with the genre. It's all superficiality, flash in the pan shit

I moved on a long time ago. I don't think there's any hope in immediate change though. The studios have made so much money that a couple of flops won't hurt them. This will go on for years until their coffers run dry
>>
>>87428120
*they're
>>
>>87427576
I know where they're coming from. Any black people detracts from my enjoyment of any film, even if it's just a side character.
>>
>>87428094
>being this deluded
you also didn't even bother answering the other anon's wueation what evidence would you accept? oh that's right, you can't answer because there is none
>>
>its another op has no idea 90% of china's "economy" is shell corporations and money laundering for drugs

kek
>>
>>87427761
the Chinese just wanted to see attractive white people do attractive white people things. they don't want ugly diversified people quip to each other for 2 hours.
>>
>>87427049
>Hollywood bets the house on blockbusters
>a couple of them like Wonder Woman and Spider Man do well
>the rest tank

Tl;dr: Hollywood is spending stupid amounts of money thinking they'll make it all back in spades from China, they don't
>>
>>87427402
these are two completely different posters though
i find it more disrespectful that the american poster makes BOYYYYEEEGA bigger than Han Solo, Leia, Chewbacca, AND the millennium falcon
>>
>>87428178
Why would I trust anything coming out of institutions I know to be deceptive?

How about '''they''' make a big fake show of it like when some 'PwC' agent comes out with the envelopes, like at the '''Oscars''' or the '''NBA''' lottery?

You're either a shill or a fanboy sucker.

I'm almost certain, shill.
>>
>>87427280
>>87427923
You are correct. I'm certain any student who had read a handful of novels (i.e. what you'd expect of most writers) would have seen proper usage of the term.

So the author is either illiterate or has chosen to abandon the accepted definition of a word for current political memes which is disgusting either way. Our very language is under attack.
>>
>>87428308
They've made more than enough to take the brunt of a few flops and not even flinch. They're at surplus levels to produce whatever remake/reboot/horseshit pile of garbage they feel like throwing out there
>>
>>87428221
Yawn. Trump hater. Unimaginative, unthinking loser. Many such cases. SAD!
>>
>>87427049
I want Hollywood to collapse so bad.
>>
>>87427271
Kys /pol/bait faggot
>>
>>87427348
(open a dictionary to "whitewashing"

(2) tear out page, douse in lighter fluid, put in mouth

(3) have a cigarette, turn filter end outward

(4) $ PROFIT $
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.