[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What the fuck was the point of the first 30 minutes of this movie?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4

What the fuck was the point of the first 30 minutes of this movie?
>>
>>87426649
Give some background on Chet Desmond and Sam Stanley I guess.
>>
It was supposed to star Coop so it would have been more of a tie in to the series I guess.
It did give us Judy so even though Chet never shows up again it still has some relevance later on.
>>
In hindsight it deals with a "fake reality".

The little town Chet visits is a "bad" version of Twin Peaks.
The sheriff is a dick, noone is helpful, the diner is a dive and so on.

It plays into a larger theme of evil twins, fabricated realities and lodge spirits mingling with normal people to set up traps for people that accidentally cross their path.
>>
The anti twin peaks. Ghetto trailer park, bright and sunny, shitty diner, local cops are dicks, FBI investigates a prostitute no one cared about
>>
>>87426649
They're comfy.
>>
>>87426708
>It was supposed to star Coop
source?

Also, just cause the throwaway lines about Judy become retroactively relevant to lore doesn't mean shit it in the context of the movie.
>>
>>87426649
It was supposed to show the duality between the two towns, the two detectives(dale and chet) and the two cases were.
>>
Lynch shot 4 fuckin hours of movie and he couldn't even fill in a plot.
>>
File: jtjkt.jpg (115KB, 1280x720px)
jtjkt.jpg
115KB, 1280x720px
>>87426649
To show best girl
>>
>>87426649
This movie is 10/10 anyone who says different is low iq.
>>
>>87426649
Give background on Teresa Banks and to contribute the best part of the whole movie
>>
C'mon guys, there must be some reason for that part besides "yoooo duality bro".
>>
I really enjoyed this movie. But Season 3/The Return was garbage. David Lynch should never do a show ever again.
>>
>>87426791
https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Lynch-David-Hughes/dp/0753505983
Also you're right about Judy. But that's the only part of the first bit of the movie I think really had any relevance in the grand scheme of things. The duality between the two towns was probably the real reason, but it still feels disjointed from the rest of the film no matter what. But this sorta thing is normal for Lynch anyway.
>>
File: IMG_3766.jpg (202KB, 695x1024px)
IMG_3766.jpg
202KB, 695x1024px
>>87426649
To give the normies something to watch before they tuned out of Sherylkino.
>>
>>87426649
LYNCHED!
>>
>>87426649
sequel teaser
>>
Would you guys says the Missing Pieces are necessary to watch?
Is there a cut of the film out there with them added in?
>>
>>87430791
There is - Q2 fan cut.
>>
>>87430791
Yes there is but it's better to watch The Missing Pieces as it's own 90min movie.
>>
>>87431539
No it's not better.
>>
>>87431408
haha
>>
The first part of the movie is genuinely crap. It doesn't go anywhere at all and doesn't really have any good scenes. Cooper is shoehorned in just because he's the star but it makes no sense that he's even in the film. And David Bowie's accent is un fucking forgiveable. Lynch made a good choice overdubbing it when they played that scene in The Return.
>>
>>87426661
>Sam Stanley

GLADHAND
L
A
D
H
A
N
D
>>
>>87431634
>Cooper is shoehorned in just because he's the star but it makes no sense that he's even in the film.

On the contrary, Cooper was supposed to have a larger role in the film but MacLachlan wanted out for fear of being typecast as quirky, kind hearted law enforcement. So his screen time is minimized, making it feel rushed and unnecessary.
>>
>>87431718

That would not be a problem if Lynch made a sequel to S2 instead of a prequel.

As it is FWWM only had the "good Dale" character.

If it was a continuation of S2 Kyle could ham it up a bit as the doppelganger at the very least.
>>
>>87431718
Correct, originally he was supposed to be investigating the first murder. When he refused they should have just cut him out entirely.
>>
>>87426768

Except that reality is clearly part of the same reality as Twin Peaks
>>
>>87431718

Imagine fucking up your career this much
>>
>>87431916

Yeah. But in Kyle's defense, he went on to have a better career than 90% of the other actors from the show.
>>
>>87426649
to give Sam Stanley the glad hand
>>
>>87431903
And Twin Peaks as we see it is clearly a fake reality compared to the town in s03e18, you fucking LYNCHED piece of shit
>>
>>87426784
This.
>>
Please redpill me on return without memeing. Lynch lost me with inland empire but I adore fwwm. The criticism about set design seems correct from what I've seen, lynch used to be a meticulous and brilliant formalistic filmmaker, the framing and design in eeaserhead for example is really strong but return just looks cheap and lazy.
>>
>>87433379
the first 16 hours of the show are a red herring and the main plotline of the whole season ends on a practical joke on the audience while everything else is dropped with no resolution
people are circlejerking about how deep it is but I think subversion for the sake of subversion is retarded personally, if that interests you go ahead but it's better to know going in that it won't go anywhere
>>
>>87433379
>>87433491
I want to add that I found the first 16 hours strikingly beautiful, but then the show actively punishes you for caring or appreciating it so eh
>>
>>87433491
You're retard if you think Lynch is about subversion for the sake of subversion.
>>
>>87426649
It was going to be a trilogy
>>
>>87433654
>LMAO THE RESOLUTION IS STUPID NOTHING MATTERED ANYWAY THE SERIES NEVER HAPPENED
nice argument right there man you totally swayed me into thinking that episode 17 is the masterful piece of art you claim it is, drawing inspiration from such classics as dragonball Z and one punch man
I love how all of you fags immediately say "Lynch" when referring to The Return as if his previous body of work is somehow being commented on as well, what he did in the past has nothing to do with this, he pulled a prank and it was a successful one and he will probably be the first and last person to ever be allowed to waste 16 hours (more like 50 in truth) of everyone's time just for the sake of a practical joke, it's great that he got to do that before dying but it doesen't mean I have to like it
>>
>>87433825
I never said the series never happened. If that's your interpretation, you must be a brainlet.
Not even gonna bother reading past the greentext.
>>
>>87433847
Man I want to be as cool as you someday
>>
>>87433888
I want to be as angry at other people for liking what you don't as you someday.
>>
>>87433919
You're the one who sounds upset, you're not even reading my posts, how do you know I'm angry?
I just said that bring up "Lynch thinks x" every time the return is discussed is retarded because his previous body of work is not being discussed at all, so it doesen't matter if Lynch is about subversion every single time, the return is though
Part 17 basically had the plot and characters take a step back in order to convey a heavy handed message; again, I'm happy for Lynch that he got to play his successful prank on television in his old age but it doesen't mean I have to like it. Meanwhile you call people stupid for disliking what you apparently consider deep and meaningful without ever giving an explanation why
>inb4 did not read lol
>>
>>87431592
It's infinitely better since basement dwellers can't cut and mix audio on the same level as a studio.
>>
>>87426661
>>87426708
these, and it establishes that theresa banks was murdered, and shows us what she looks like, so when leland has a flashback to it, we know who we're seeing.
and also it introduces the ring. chet picks up the ring and disappears, jeffries also mentions the ring if i remember rightly, or was that from the extended missing pieces scene?
>>
>>87431634
>doesn't really have any good scenes
SHE'S MY MOTHER'S SISTER'S GIRL
>>
File: 1-pgLHivJDc5PiWoirn4UBzQ.jpg (132KB, 1200x645px) Image search: [Google]
1-pgLHivJDc5PiWoirn4UBzQ.jpg
132KB, 1200x645px
>>87426649
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2-fAYJTxAE

to show the best atmosphere any media
>>
>>87433825
why on earth would anyone film an 18 hour long film as a prank?
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.