[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was it ahead of its time or just misunderstood?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

Was it ahead of its time or just misunderstood?
>>
>>87426206
it was shit and boring
>>
File: 1453752965821.jpg (44KB, 441x306px) Image search: [Google]
1453752965821.jpg
44KB, 441x306px
Wasn't it toned down quite a bit compared to whats in the book?
>>
not only boring but horribly marketed with that awful title, i never can recall ever seeing a commercial for it either
>>
Generic Hollywood action-adventure schlock.
>>
>>87426206
I really wanted to like it but it was just not good.
>>
>>87426206
Normies are plebs who don't read books so they had no idea this book inspired Star Wars and thought it was ripping off Star Wars instead

Its a pretty good movie but the books are much better because they are based
>>
>>87426206
It's avatar: no budget and on orange mars edition with a script that somehow mixed up half of star wars: attack of the clones.
>>
>>87426419
>Generic Hollywood action-adventure schlock.

generic. with time travel and teleporting aliens. you get so sick of hollywood shoe-horning those stupid teleporting aliens into everything.
>>
>>87426206
i like it
>>
>>87429069
>John Carter
>no budget
>>
>>87429157
agreed, you could tell because it looked like shit.
>>
>>87426270
The books are a bit more serious (in a melodramatic pulp epic kind of way that probably wouldn't work these days) but I'd say they're similar in terms of action, accounting for the differences between literature and a visual medium.

Where they fucked it up was adding the whole overarching plotline with the Therns. Compared to that even the sub-plot of John Carter missing his earth family seemed good. See, in the the books the Therns don't show up until the second book, and their background and role in Barsoom's religion is totally different. They rule the Valley Dor, at the end of the River Iss, where all Martians who survive to the age of 1,000 (ie not many) must go as a sort of afterlife. When John Carter re-materializes on Barsoom after returning to Earth for 10 years, he ends up there, and has to fight his way out when he discovers that the valley is actually a deathtrap, and the Therns are a bunch of flesh-eating false idols.

They should have stuck to just Carter fighting his way out of slavery and becoming Prince of Helium for the first movie.
>>
>>
>>87426206

BEST SPACE DOG IN THE HISTORY OF CINEMA

PLENTY OF COOL SHIT, NO WORSE THAN ANY OTHER BLOCKBUSTER
>>
>>87429155
More bics of Dejah plz
>>
>>87426206
Rather mediocre adaptation with some poor choises as far characters go. The book Carter is more interesting of a characeter really: immortal and forgotten great amounts of his past and origins.
>>
>>87431027
why does he have a batman logo on his chest in the lower pic?
>>
>>87426206
Why is a main protagonist white cis male?
>>
>>87429157
>no budget
It's one of the most expensive films ever made.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.