[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How come I never see any sort of mention with regard to Halt

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: Halt Fire and Catch Water.jpg (237KB, 928x576px) Image search: [Google]
Halt Fire and Catch Water.jpg
237KB, 928x576px
How come I never see any sort of mention with regard to Halt and Cath Fire? Aside from the overexaggerated focus on women in tech in a fairly large section of the series, it's a fairly good show. What's your angle /tv?
>>
Damn, this thread is dying faster than the series' ratings!
>>
>>87269732
There were a few threads during the first two seasons. The cringeworthy levels of estro-pandering are precisely the problem. It probably doesn't hurt that they took ridiculous liberties with tech history. I'll probably watch the current season, but I'm not nearly as hype as I was during the first season.
>>
>>87269732
season 1 was awesome
2 was okay
havent watched 3
>>
>>87270232
Valid points. But when I force myself not to focus too greatly on the "womyn can do tech much better than men but sexism prevents them" (not an easy task), the characters and their conflicts are rather well done. Especially the major confrontation between the different characters near the end of season 3 - the quality of writing and acting was far above average.
>>
>>87271576
I'll definitely give all the actors credit on their abilities.
>>
>>87269732
Looks like bullshit by, with and for ugly tumblr dykes.
>>
I only watched the first season and I can't bring myself to watching the rest of the series even though the other seasons have better ratings. The first season wasn't anything special, then the second to last episode and first part of the last episode were really good, but then the final part of the last episode was so shit I was actually mad the way it ended.

Anyway, if Lee Pace is still cool and not some loser hippy in the later seasons I'll pick it up again.
>>
The big problem with HCF was that Cameron was total nerd bait and was pretty far into Mary Sue territory, and that they took excessive liberties with the history of the time.

Like, the plotlines and character development was actually good bordering on great (Boz is amazing, for example). But, many times, the whole "we have to have nerdbait Cameron be awesome" served to distract from everything. There is a pivotal moment in season 2 where Mutiny is about to have, just that, a mutiny, and Cameron basically says "lol fuck your shares and payout i'ma do what i want", and is somehow applauded for it. Like, complete 180 in the scene from what she'd been agitating for and nobody calls her out on it. The continued lack of calling her out when Donna is actually keeping the business afloat is quite annoying.

But, the real problem is in the way they portray history. In the first season, they're cribbing heavily from the hardware revolution and scrambles for microcomputers (which is fine and reasonable) and they do okay. But, in season 2 and especially 3 they really want to tell a dot-com era story about 1-2 decades before that was even a thing.

And that's where it really falls apart: we all (well, those older among us) lived through the BBS era, the pre-internet era. The VC game that they play at (showing how stacked the deck is against women) wasn't the same. The working conditions (outside of, say, early Sierra) weren't the same. The market for proto MMOs and craigslist (which they sketched out) weren't the same.

And normally that's not a big deal but because the show itself is just as much a business thriller as anything else the accelerated timeline screws up motivations and causes characters to act in ways that simply don't make sense, in turn worsening flaws in the writing of those characters.

It's a fun show to watch, but goddamn I had to do so with gritted teeth.
>>
Why didn't Gordon call the cops about that person being electrictued during the storm?

Why is he such a degenerate drunk?

Why did he almost get cucked?

Why?
>>
>>87275131
>The continued lack of calling her out when Donna is actually keeping the business afloat is quite annoying.

Feeling you there. But the payoff after all that buildup in the fallout near the end of S3 was at least a partial redemption.

>But, the real problem is in the way they portray history.

I dislike that aspect, but I came to terms with the fact that the show, especially following its first season, did not attempt to be historically accurate. One advantage of this approach being the creative liberty to present a storyline of an 80s technology start-up focused on its characters without being constrained by the necessity to adhere too closely to our world's timeline.

>And normally that's not a big deal but because the show itself is just as much a business thriller as anything else the accelerated timeline screws up motivations and causes characters to act in ways that simply don't make sense, in turn worsening flaws in the writing of those characters.

Rather the opposite is the case - if it were required for the timeline to be aligned with the real world, the characters would be constrained in their decision-making and the plot would have to be compromised accordingly. Not to say that they utilized the full potential of the series, but I'd generally say that for such a character-driven drama, historicity is not a priority. Although I myself suspect that the more modern influences were not necessarily introduced as a way of meaningfully developing the characters, but rather to make the proceedings more relatable to a modern audience.

>>87275190
Gordon being constantly cucked is a recurring motif of the series, unfortunately, whilst Donna grows to be a prime example of female empowerment, ugh.
>>
>>87269732
Because it's total fucking garbage. Trying to detract from the real achievements of men who pioneered the modern computer age. Fuck that show.
>>
>>87269732
so they play keys on a keyboard? and the keyboard is on fire?
>>
>>87277226
us meninists need to stick together and fight for proper representation in the media!
>>
>>87277226

Yep, the glorification of "womyn rocking tech" is gratuitous and grating, but two remarks on that - first, finding a contemporary TV series which does not contain similar elements of feminist crap is a fruitless endeavour. Second, at least over the duration of the second and especially third season, the characterization of the women is at least well done, however unlikely their involvement and talent in the tech industry might be. The same cannot be said of the vast majority of shoehorned female characters in TV nowadays.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.