[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

You either loved it, or you hated it, or you thought it was OK.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 5

File: Wind-River-Movie-poster[1].jpg (256KB, 1012x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Wind-River-Movie-poster[1].jpg
256KB, 1012x1500px
You either loved it, or you hated it, or you thought it was OK.
>>
Loved it, great film
>>
this patrician is in need of a streaming link
>>
>>87268078
Just see a matinee for like 5 bucks.
>>
>>87268103
i live in the old world
>>
solid 7/10. could've been longer and gone more in-depth into the effacement of the Native culture and what it means to survive in an unforgiving world.

Renner should get an Oscar nom.

probs my third favorite of the year so far (behind Lost City of Z and Good Time)
>>
>>87268147
>Renner should get an Oscar nom.
Nah he didn't really do anything noteworthy besides mumble while looking sad. They didn't even show him hunting all that much. This movie won't get a single nomination besides maybe Nick Cave for the (amazing) score.

You have good taste though. How was Good Time?
>>
>>87268290
I disagree, my guy, but it doesn't matter because he isn't going to win over Harry, anyway. With that said, I loved his reticent portrayal with glimpses at a cold fury stemming from the death of an innocent woman who reminds him of his own losses; I also felt his affection toward his kid was endearing. Plus, the few light notes he hit were well-timed.

Good Time is great. It's kind of like a mix of young Scorcese (exploring the crime-ridden underbelly of metropolitan areas and the filth that inhabits it) and Mann (in terms of direction and aesthetic). It's not a pleasant movie, but it's a hell of a ride. Pattinson has really impressed me this year with Good Time and Z—the man's got some real talent.
>>
>>87268499
Yes the scene where he tells Elizabeth Olsen about what happened to his daughter was really good now that I remember it. I just wish he wasn't such a detached person. The scenes at the beginning with his wife and son are especially difficult to get through as a result. I was very thankful those characters were taken out of commission early on.

I am definitely gonna check out Good Time. Pattinson is on the short list for my favorite leading men under 40. Everything I've seen him in that wasn't Twilight was pretty incredible and he had a lot to do with it. Out-acting Guy Pearce in The Rover was a fucking accomplishment. And he really did carry Cosmopolis.
>>
File: 1482324566602.jpg (20KB, 570x479px) Image search: [Google]
1482324566602.jpg
20KB, 570x479px
>>87267967
>oh great a movie about the winter war !
>it's modern crap with renner
>>
File: 14smvjr[2].jpg (9KB, 537x292px) Image search: [Google]
14smvjr[2].jpg
9KB, 537x292px
>>87268686
Daily reminder that American microbreweries BTFO out of England and Germany for beer, and Caliwine rekt France's shit so hard in blind tastings that they've been desperately scraping for excuses to keep the labels on the bottles ever since.

For food, we can claim to have contributed Chili Con Carne, a dish which, when taken together with sour cream, cornbread and sweet onion, it contains all five of the classical flavor elements of the Orient: sweet, sour, salty, pungent and bitter. Our peasant food is a culinary masterpiece made possible only by the great breadth and cultural diversity of our nation, and yet it is singularly iconic of Americana, not a mismatch of foreign garbage, the product of the only functional multicultural society in the world.

And what was Finland's great offering to the culinary world, Kumis? Tartar sauce? Horseflesh pulverized beneath saddles? Or was it fish buried in permafrost. Oh no wait, that was probably Sweden. It is no wonder that your underdeveloped palate, deadened by vodka and unbuttered toast made of pulverized rocks and tree bark, or whatever it is you fucking savages eat in your sunless slice of hell, are unable to discern past memery into the realm of actual cuisine.

Do not ever speak again. You're like the Basques except you never killed anyone important, like Roland. Oh look at us, we're Finnish, we lost a bunch of wars to Sweden and then lost a war with Russia but totally killed six trillion illiterate conscripts before they cut off our field marshal's hands and nailed them to a tree.
>>
>>87268879
this has to be the shittiest pasta after the marine one

why do you save that crap ?
>>
>>87268671
You find the actor to be detached? Man, I feel like he's one of the more grounded dudes in Hollywood. You remember his "Golden Globes" comment toward JLo?

I'd heard Pattinson had been killing it but didn't feel the need to check out those works in particular (they're on the to-watch list, but it's a long one). He's seriously awesome, though.

What else are you looking forward to that's coming up, anon? I'm super excited for The Shape of Water (apparently it's as good as Pan's Labyrinth, which is just incredible hype), IT, and You Were Never Really Here just off the top of my head.
>>
>>87268980
Because it's funny and you're upset.
>>
>>87269022
Yeah, Renner seems like a really cool guy and I admire the turns his career has taken but I don't think he's totally leading man material. One of his best roles was in The Town as the hothead antagonist and he killed it! But when you make him the hero, or center the movie around him, it sort of falls apart. I think The Hurt Locker is very overrated and he has a bit to do with it. Maybe his overall lack of charisma was to his benefit in Wind River but I definitely don't think he's getting any Oscar noms for it.

I'm definitely looking forward to Mother!, Killing of a Sacred Deer, Shape of Water, Happy End, Phantom Thread, Last Flag Flying, and that new Martin McDonough/Sam Rockwell movie that has the really long title. I think at least half of those movies will be good.

I'm seeing IT next week and I have moderately decent expectations for it. My dad thinks it will be really good if they change the ending completely.
>>
>>87269296
He was fantastic in The Town—it's my favorite role of his. I hear where you're coming from regarding the lack of charisma/inability to carry a movie solo, but I still think he's a very good actor. Toward that extent, I think he did exactly what he needed to in Wind River. His mix of aloofness and empathy was portrayed with nuance and was a good fit for a movie taking place in a desolate tundra. With all that said, my favorite actor in the movie was actually the Native American guy that was thinking of killing himself at the end. He had some powerful scenes within the limited time he was given to shine.

Those are all good picks. I'll also add the following now that I took a look through the upcoming releases:
>Blade Runner
>The Florida Project
>Una
>The Snowman
>Murder on the Orient Express
>Call Me By Your Name
>Darkest Hour
>Downsizing
>Lucky

You're thinking of Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri; that's another promising one.

I'm sure there will be a bunch of foreign releases that start gaining traction in the upcoming months as well. Embrace of the Serpent was one of my favorites from last year, so I'm always on the lookout for foreign films. It feels like they tend to be more bold.
>>
>>87269642
Mute and The Irishman should be great as well.
>>
This hasn't even been released in the UK yet.
No camrips out either, fuck.
>>
>>87269642
>>The Snowman
I'm excited for that one. Looks oddly unsettling for a simple premise. I don't doubt the director will make great stylistic choices.

I love foreign films as well but I personally really love this trend of formerly foreign arthouse directors directing English-language movies. The Snowman, The Killing of a Sacred Deer, etc.

Louder Than Bombs was one of my favorite surprises last year. Fairly enjoyable domestic drama with an amazing Gabriel Byrne performance.
>>
>>87269642
and yeah that father character was the easy highlight, same with Graham Greene as the chief.
>>
>>87269789
I haven't seen that one, either, but it's another one on my list. I actually just got the MoviePass card so I plan on catching basically every interesting release in theaters (even the tentpole schlock like Thor, Star Wars, etc.). It's a wonderful deal. You should look into it since it sounds like you watch enough movies to really benefit from it. It's $10/mo flat to watch up to one movie a day in theaters. No restrictions on new releases, but the card doesn't support 3D/IMAX. There are obviously easy ways around that, though.
>>
>>87270104
That really sounds like an incredible deal. For budget reasons I only frequent this one theater that does $5 for any movie before 5PM deal. It's a small town one that old people mostly go to. But the MoviePass will definitely allow me to explore other options (even though the dark days of winter/spring releases is a drawback).
>>
>>87270278
I would definitely look into it, anon. It pays for itself even with just one movie viewing a month. Considering it's awards season, you'll easily be able to catch 5-6 quality movies a month and that doesn't even include rewatches or catching older releases or buying a ticket for a 2D showing and then catching an IMAX screening. You can cancel at any time as well and the price point is guaranteed for a year from the point of purchase. Any movie theater that accepts card payments is legally obligated to accept the MoviePass card because it's a MasterCard.

Definitely look into it!
>>
>>87269642
This movie was awesome for NA performances, Graham Greene was really understated, he got the perfect feeling of trying to rage against the death around him yet not let it control him either and be procedural.

>>87269642
When he said he was getting his Death Face on and he didn't know anything about his culture but it felt right to do was so brutal.

>>87267967
I don't know if I liked Elizabeth Olsen in this. On one hand its wonderful to see a woman not be overpowered in a movie (if you hate strong women in movies at expense of male characters watch Wind River) OTOH she seemed so out of place and bad at her job that it got a little ridiculous. What was the caliber of her gun anyway? lol
>>
>>87270450
>Any movie theater that accepts card payments is legally obligated to accept the MoviePass card because it's a MasterCard.
That sounds really fucking awesome. Thanks a lot for the info! I think this could be a great investment.
>>
>>87270503
No problem. The more people that know about it, the better. Happy viewings, my friend.
>>87270475
Yeah, the bit about the Death Face was heartbreaking. Just a gem of a role.

I'm down with Elizabeth Olson's star rising as well. She's a smokeshow and her acting isn't bad. She gave me some real Clarice Starling vibes in Wind River.
>>
>>87268499
You mean he isn't going to win over Daniel Day Lewis, right, anon?
>>
>>87270676
Is the PTA movie this year? If so, then it'll be tough. Both DDL and HDS are legacy actors at this point, but HDS might get the nod as sort of a "lifetime achievement" award. Man, that would be such a difficult choice to make.
>>
>>87267967
i loved it. edge of my seat the whole time.
>>
>>87270729
HDS might get a token nod for all of his controbutions but that movie looks so offbeat and niche that I really don't see it getting any nominations. and Phantom Thread is coming right out before Christmas
>>
>>87270817
Wow, that's gonna be really interesting. DDL's retiring after this one, right? On the other hand, here's a few of the reviews for HDS's turn in Lucky:

>Everything Harry Dean Stanton has done in his career, and his life, has brought him to his moment of triumph in "Lucky."
>A beautiful showcase for the 90-year-old Harry Dean Stanton, giving one of the best performances of his remarkable career.
>

[Harry Dean Stanton is] one of the great ones; perhaps even the great one in terms of certain naturalistic affectations. And Lucky is here to act as a Greatest Hits record of sorts, bringing closure to a career that's worth celebrating.
I mean, that is some rapturous praise. I'm sure DDL will get the same treatment, though, and that's what makes it so tough. I wouldn't want either guy to not get recognized if these are their swan songs before they ride off into the sunset.
>>
>>87270931
Forgot the third blurb.
>

[Harry Dean Stanton is] one of the great ones; perhaps even the great one in terms of certain naturalistic affectations. And Lucky is here to act as a Greatest Hits record of sorts, bringing closure to a career that's worth celebrating.
>>
>>87270931
I guess the difference here is that Harry has only a few years left (unfortunately) and DDL can conceivably come out of retirement any time he wants. If Lucky really turns out as incredible as those reviews say, then stranger things have happened than a 90 year old who has never been nominated winning the Oscar. I would definitely love to see it happen.
>>
>>87268147
>probs my third favorite of the year so far (behind Lost City of Z and Good Time)
Pretty good ranking desu
>>
>>87271023
You really can't go wrong either way.

This is turning out to be an amazing year for American cinema, anon. It feels excellent to be present for it.
>>
>>87271070
I'm sure all three of those will fall by the end of the year, but I don't really like doing hard rankings. They'll all at least be in the "great" tier when it's all said and done.

What are your favorites so far?
>>
>>87271110
I personally think 2016 is a sorely underrated year on this board. I can think of at least 15 movies from that year which were wonderful. But 2017 is shaping up to be on that level for sure.
>>
>>87271110
>>87271228
Any other films I should be on the lookout for coming this year?
>>
>>87271185
It's about the same so far to be honest. Also A Ghost Story and Brigsby Bear are up there, with Brigsby being one of the most unique movies I've seen in a while. I also loved Baby Driver but that seems to get lots of shit here for not being much more than an extremely well made heist/car chase movie.

I'm most looking forward to Killing of a Sacred Deer as of now.
>>
>>87271228
Oh, no doubt. 2016 was excellent. To be honest, I find awesome stuff every year so I've never really felt the supposed dip in cinematic quality. Sure, there's a severe oversaturation of superhero movies and other LCD blockbusters, but there's also amazing stuff that goes under the radar. Embrace of the Serpent, Toni Erdmann, Being 17, Captain Fantastic, I Am Not a Serial Killer, Love and Friendship, Paterson... even Silence wasn't watched by as many people as you'd expect a Marty movie to reach. A lot of other great lowkey stuff on my "2016" list as well (pic related).

>>87271352
Check out these posts:
>>87269296
>>87269642
There'll definitely be other stuff, too—it's just not already listed on IMDB so I don't remember all of it. Definitely keep an eye out for acclaimed foreign films. You get different perspectives from most American cinema.
>>
I liked that thong shot hnnnnnngg
>>
>>87271352
Wonderstruck is on all the shortlists for Best Picture though I'm not a Todd Haynes fan.
Blade of the Immortal should be an awesome watch if you can find a theater playing it.
Wonder Wheel should be decent-to-watchable, which is standard Woody Allen fare at this point.
I'm a Ridley Scott fanboy so I'm very excited for All the Money in the World (the premise and the cast make me hard)
Suburbicon is the new Coen Bros script. I hope it's a good George Clooney directorial effort!
>>
File: 2.png (27KB, 557x831px) Image search: [Google]
2.png
27KB, 557x831px
>>87271443
Forgot to link the list, whoops.
>>87271425
I've yet to see any of those three, but I definitely will. Sacred Deer should be great, but I have to admit I wasn't as impressed with The Lobster as most. It was certainly good (well-acted, a polished aesthetic, original, endearingly off-beat), but it felt whimsical rather than ambitious (my most preferred characteristic for a movie).
>>
literally the definition of a forgettable movie
>>
>>87271582
I wasn't aware of Blade of the Immortal. I'll add that to my list. Thanks, anon.
>>
Hope i'm not joining the thread too late, but I agree with the anons who said this was in their tops of the year so far, as of seeing this mine have been Wind River, Dunkirk, and Lost City of Z.

>>87270611
>>87270475

the Death Face scene was fucking incredible. Had tears in my eyes through the whole ending when Olson breaks down in the hopsital and Renner goes back to the family's home and covers the mom up.

Really devastating movie, incredible loud in a subdued way.

My friends and I were talking about how fucking great that scene at the oilfield trailers was
>What the fuck? Are you flanking me?

Also I literally gasped when she got blasted from that door. Shit was insane.
>>
>>87271775
It's sickening how depraved people can become. I mean, how fast did that go from what felt like a little innocuous (if annoying) teasing to a full-blown rape train + double homicide? Goddamn.
>>
>>87271851
That was genuinely stomach churching to watch, especially because I'm so used to Bernthal playing an asshole cameo but him and the girl were so sweet together, and their chemistry was really great, then when all those guys showed back up...horrible.
>>
>>87271959
>>87271851
That scene was very upsetting in its escalation. Of course you knew what was going to happen but it was incredibly difficult to reconcile how absolutely horribly wrong everything went. There had to have been prostitutes that guy could have stuck his dick in!
>>
>>87271352
Novitiate sounds fucking sexy and it has Margaret Qualley in it who is one of my favorite under-25 actresses. Morgan Saylor is gonna be in it too if you're into that sort of thing.
>>
>>87268078
Fuck you, this movie is worth the price
>>
>>87271663
Literally the definition of a literal kino trilogy.
>>
>>87270931
Gary Oldman is going to win for "Darkest Hour" boiz. Look at everything coming out of Telluride
>>
>>87272333
You write and express yourself like a woman
>>
>>87275365
Why?
>>
>>87274508
I doubt it. He's got too long of a career ahead of him whereas these films are watermark moments for DDL/HDS since they're retiring or at the end of their careers.
>>
>>87271851
>>87271959

The girl sitting behind me literally said "Are you fucking kidding me" and walked out for 10 minutes during the rape scene.

And during the shootout an old man in front of me started laughing afterward saying and I quote:
>awh geez.. the American way!
>>
>>87271775
>the Death Face scene was fucking incredible. Had tears in my eyes
Lol calm down dude. This isn't resdit
>>
She got all those guys killed. Should have trusted the deputy.
>>
>>87277123
>"you didn't see it?!"

that guy was a bad ass.
>>
File: DGFHmveVwAEir9O.jpg (47KB, 541x547px) Image search: [Google]
DGFHmveVwAEir9O.jpg
47KB, 541x547px
Literally just got back from seeing it. Only part I didn't really like was when they reenacted what actually happened, felt like it was something that should have been doled out in pieces instead of just solving everything for you all at once.

>tfw Jane walks in on the mom
>>
>>87276302
Some woman in the front row at my screening clapped when Pete got a rifle butt in the face. Like, fucking why? It's a prerecorded movie, Jeremy Renner isn't going to make trigger-fingers at the camera to acknowledge your hooting, what the fuck are you doing?
>>
>>87279016
you sound like a dork
>>
>>87280118
As opposed to the idiot clapping at an inanimate screen?
>>
>>87268290
Fuck off he was good
>>
>>87280264
yup
>>
>>87267967
Did Olsen and Renner fuck?
Any good nudes?
>>
>>87282441
no
there's a shot of her ass in a thong
>>
>>87282704
she had a very nice tush
>>
>>87282704
Confirmed Kino.
>>
I liked the pacing of this movie, didn't feel bogged down with any bullshit scenes.
>>
>>87271443
>Oh, no doubt. 2016 was excellent

What a load of horse shit, 2016 was terrible. Nothing memorable and all cliche, boring garbage.
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.