[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So what does the ring do besides make you go crazy and turn invisible?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 128
Thread images: 10

File: 534253452345.jpg (34KB, 568x303px) Image search: [Google]
534253452345.jpg
34KB, 568x303px
So what does the ring do besides make you go crazy and turn invisible?
>>
>>87266686
It's for the big bad to use. Not anyone else. It makes the big bad his most powerful. That's what the ring is meant for .
>>
>>87266686
makes you a soul nigger
>>
>>87266686
intensifies your orgasms
>>
Lets you enslave 9 kings and turn them into spooky ghost men.
>>
Anyone else saw ass-to-ass from the thumbnail?
>>
>>87266686
Amplifies natural strengths.

Hobbits, already good at evading danger, go invisible.
>>
>>87267075
Fuck you
>>
>>87266992
ESS TOO ESS
>>
>>87266686
bigger cock
>>
>>87266686
You die after 7 days when you watch the videotape
>>
>>87266686
it's like heroin but instead of killing you it makes you live a really long time
>>
>>87266686
Sauron was too stupid to find the Silmarilli, so he created this cheap trinket
>>
This >>87267075
This >>87266724
This >>87266848
This >>87267308

As well as influencing other lving beings and making them bend to your will, which allows you to gain power. Still - its ultimate purpose when wielded by someone who is NOT the Dark Lord, is simply to get back to its master
>>
it gives you power over the wearers of the lesser rings
>>
>>87266686
makes you really really want it.
>>
>>87266686
Gives you a more powerful, longer-lasting erection
>>
>>87267437
I've read the books more than a decade ago, but isn't it implied that if someone who was wise and strong-willed enough possessed the ring, it would give him immense powers, and use it almost just as well as Sauron?
>>
>>87267598
I think it was what Tolkien said if Gandalf have the ring.
>>
>>87267598
>but isn't it implied that if someone who was wise and strong-willed enough possessed the ring, it would give him immense powers, and use it almost just as well as Sauron?
It's implied that even Gandalf, a fucking space wizard, would try to use it for good but would ultimately be corrupted by it, becoming much like Sauron himself.
>>
>>87267598
Yep that too but like (>>87267712) just mentioned, ultimately he'd be corrupted

(when Frodo offers Gandalf the ring)
>'No!' cried Gandalf, springing to his feet. 'With that power I should have power too great and terrible. And over me the Ring would gain a power still greater and more deadly.'
>His eyes flashed and his face was lit as by a fire within. 'Do not tempt me! For I do not wish to become like the Dark Lord himself...'
>>
>>87267598
Potentially but the ring still has the ability to betray that person. And the ring would still be capable of influencing a powerful and willful individual into causing evil through subtle means.
>>
>>87267075
that is not fucking why you go invisible
>>
What was the One Ring's tax policy?
>>
why didnt sauronman just make another ring
>>
>>87266686
You can wear it on your penis
>>
>>87267880
Progressive, most likely.

95% on the lords of coin.
>>
File: cooper.jpg (41KB, 1280x688px) Image search: [Google]
cooper.jpg
41KB, 1280x688px
>>87266686
Don't take the ring, Frodo.
Don't take the ring.
>>
>>87267598
>Gandalf as Ring Lord would have been far worse than Sauron. He would have remained `righteous', but `self-righteous'. He would have continued to rule and order things for `good', and the benefit of his subjects according to his wisdom (which was and would have remained great).
I assume it would be a prosperous but heavy handed police state kind of kingdom
>>
>>87268097
Yes. It would be an actual, total dystopia.

That's why there are no tax policies described in LotR: Tolkein was an an-cap and believed in voluntarily giving to the state. Involuntary taxes are an evil and were abolished by Aragorn after the war ended.
>>
>>87268097
its like a metaphor for tyranny, or power in general. No matter who it is, it is fundamentally corrupting.
>>
>>87268222
Power doesn't corrupt in itself, corrupt people abuse power when they have it
>>
>>87268423
thats a cute way to view the world. Ever seen The Wire? Because that might have been dramaticized but it was based on shit that actually happens all the time, good people are forced to do bad things or they'll find themselves no longer in those positions. If you dont make yourself fit the bill, then someone else will. The job changes the person, the person rarely changes the job.
>>
File: chaos.jpg (177KB, 1180x1180px) Image search: [Google]
chaos.jpg
177KB, 1180x1180px
>>87268423
Say that to Obama, the peace-candidate who bombed more of the middle-east than several of his predecessors combined.

Same Obama who campaigned on compassion to immigrants before deporting over a million of them.

Either he was a duplicitous asshole, or a guy who thought he could do no wrong with too much power.
>>
>>87266686
It's original purpose was to rule over all the other rings of power that Sauron helped make. That way the wearers of the rings would be enslaved to Sauron.

It's secondary, unintended function, is it's ability to amplify the natural strength of it's wearer. A hobbit like Frodo would not gain much from wearing it but an already powerful being like Gandalf would become almost invincible. Sauron did not think this would happen when he made the ring. It was a happy accident since the ring amplified even his powers despite the fact he had sacrificed a great portion of it to make the ring.
>>
>>87267075
Kek
>>
>>87267075
That kingdude who cut Sauron's finger off went poof too
>>
basically 99999 for luck stat
>>
>>87268947
and he was a giant superhuman warrior king so if was going to amplify anything it would have been his strength.
>>
>>87267206
This is a reference to Requiem, right? Or is there some other ESS2ESS I'm not aware of?
>>
>>87269014
and you didn't see him for the rest of the movie
>>
>>87268619
>Gandalf would become almost invincible
Nope. Gendalf is not very strong, adding part of Sauron power wouldn't even made him the strongest Maiar.
>>
>>87269378
>Gandalf would become almost invincible (in Middle Earth)
is what I meant.
>>
>>87267075
>tfw nothing would happen if I wore it because I have no strengths
>>
File: 1355130128101.gif (2MB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1355130128101.gif
2MB, 200x200px
>>87266686
Thumbnail looks like a golden veiny doubleheaded dildo being inside two assholes.
probably just me tho [\spoiler]
>>
>>87270485
Don't say that
>All seems nice and peaceful on 4chan
>Suddenly the entire website is overrun with shitposting
>This shitposting is so abhorrent that even the most contrarian assholes are repulsed by its horrors
>Mods don't know what's going on, and Hiroshimoot is panicking
>Turns out some anon on /tv/ found The One Ring, and used it to compliment his greatest strength
>/tv/ was deleted the next day
>>
>>87266686
What if Aragorn used the ring? I really like thinking about this kinda stuff
>>
>>87267437
Gandalf said the ring would've made him more powerful
>>
>>87267075
Makes Jews greedier.
>>
>>87267598
what if superman used the ring
>>
>>87272294
but sam already got the ring and gave it up
>>
File: Ganlaugh.gif (3MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
Ganlaugh.gif
3MB, 320x240px
>>87271174
>>
>>87266686
Elf woman tells you at the start of the film. Pay attention.
>>
>>87267075
does it makes aragorns tax policy even more inexistent?
>>
>>87266992
My mind went to butt stuff too
>>
>>87271223
Yes, but it would also turn him a slave of Sauron.
>>
What would happen if a Jew put on the ring?

What about a white person?
>>
>>87268549
>Ever seen The Wire?
Stopped reading and opinion discarded.
>>
>>87267437
Wow a shittier anti-life equation. "clap,clap,clap"
>>
>>87268097
I don't think it's that far of a stretch assuming Gandalf would get corrupted since saruman the white got corrupted
>>
Why didn't Gandalf just go get the fires of Mt. Doom before all hell broke loose and bring them to the shire to melt the ring, instead of the other way around?

He could've, say, ridden the eagles into Mt. Doom, even.
>>
Who is the master and who is the slave?
The ring or sauron?
>>
>>87266686
It rules them all or something
>>
>>87267712
The idea is that the ring is the literal will of Sauron and anyone who seeks to use it will become corrupted. The more powerful someone is, the more the ring can influence them. Hobbits make great ring bearers because they're all really simple, so they are better able to resist the draw of the ring.

Saruman was corrupted simply by learning that the ring exists.
>>
could an ogre wear the ring? could my cock? Is the ring one size fits all?
>>
>>87278012
it literally shows the ring shrinking in the first 3 minutes of the movie
>>
>>87267598
the ring is literally a Horcrux, it doesn't matter who tries to use it Sauron's soul is inside of it and will inevitably sooner or later corrupt them

the only reason it took so long to corrupt Bilbo is because of his lazy as fuck introverted nature, which many other Hobbits also share

when you actually give it some thought the species most resistant to the ring's influence were only resistant because they were lazy fucks
>>
>>87278056
i just assumed that was directorial flourish, so even an ant could wear the one ring? If I use a microscope to attach it to a water bear, I could make the ring so microscopic that even Sauron can't handle it
>>
File: latest.jpg (13KB, 260x194px) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
13KB, 260x194px
Should have put it up his arse.
>>
>>87266686
I TOLD YOU FAGS
>thats not the ring of power
>Tom Bombadil secretly palmed the real ring and gave the hobbits back a lame Ring of Invisibility +1
>Bombadill used the real ring to GTFO of his space and time
>some say he's still out there, somewhere, still fukcing that whore Blueberry or w/e the fuck
>>
the ring is basically sauron in ring form
>>
>>87274239
>nonexistent
>>
bookfags, how long did Isildur actually last before he died, the movies made it seem like he got killed on his way back home from the war
>>
>>87278072
>Hobbit decency and innocent simple-mindedness is laziness
Tolkien just turned over in his grave.
>>
>>87269378
Who is actually the strongest Maiar?
>>
>>87278072
>bilbo
>lazy

read the hobbit.
>>
>>87278281
if they had any real desires then the ring would have corrupted the shit out of them, but all they ever want to do is eat and read by the hearth
>>
>>87278333
yea he was bitching and moaning up until the end of the journey where he realized he had a good time after all

hobbits by nature are not an adventurous lot
>>
File: IMG_3219.jpg (190KB, 1200x1061px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3219.jpg
190KB, 1200x1061px
Why did the Black Riders stab Frodo and then run away?
Why were they terrified of Glorfindel?
>>
>>87278262
He did.
>>
>>87278407
didn't they get lit on fire before they ever had a real chance to fight back?
>>
>>87278343
I don't much remember frodo, but in the books the ring makes sam want to turn the entire world into a shire-like garden. Then he realizes that that's the ring, not him, because hobbits aren't crazy like that.
>>
>>87266686
Literally nothing else.
>>
>>87266686
It amplifies your hubris and lends you enough of Sauron's power on Arda to hang yourself with it.
Its a really simple plot device.
>>
>>87267881
I'm assuming you mean Sauron and not Saruman. Sauron could not make another ring because most of his power was embedded in all of the rings with the vast majority of it in the one ring. I think Sauron was also made non-corporeal once he was slain by Isuldur (? can't remember the elf's name who killed Sauron.)

As for Saruman, he is but a mere man, utterly incapable of creating such a powerful item.
>>
>>87278327
Gandalf.
>>
>>87266686
This makes me ask myself again: What is it that makes Americans to special, enormous and dumb sub humans?
Like Cockroaches resist death they resist eduction.
>>
>>87266686
Frodo should have eaten the ring and then pooped it out. That Saruon would have to touch Frodo's poop if he wanted the ring lol.
>>
>>87277156
The rings given to the dwarf lords made them incredibly greedy.
>>
>>87266686
Who cares?
Shit series.
Star Wars is better.
>>
>>87278603
I feel like Sauron wouldn't have a problem with this
>>
>>87278598
That's some serious edge
>>
>>87278624
I thought they saw through the bullshit and hid them

in fact wasn't it a major plot point that only the 9 mortal men succumbed to them?
>>
>>87266686
Makes you the big bad Norman imperial usurper that Saxons like Tolkien despise.
>>
>>87267503
Not of the dwarves, though, if I remember correctly. The rings given to the dwarven kings did not enable Sauron to control them. All the dwarven rings did was make the wearer have an insatiable greed for more gold and money.
>>
what if you gave the ring to a britbong? Would he import muslims faster?
>>
File: 1494542333070.jpg (34KB, 285x242px) Image search: [Google]
1494542333070.jpg
34KB, 285x242px
>>87277365
hello gloriously inevitable contrarian Wire post, it took you a while.
>>
>when you don't have the ring on, you are visible but Sauron can't see you
>when you have the ring on, you are invisible, but Sauron can see you

woah, that's amazing you guys.
>>
>>87278711
Americans and their wifes would get B L A C K E D 50 times faster.
>>
>>87278806
thats super deep bruh i bet you'd get a bunch of upvotes on reddit.
>>
>>87278806
It's a metaphor for computers. When you spend all your time on the computer you're invisible to everyone else in your life, but the government can see you. Tolkien was ahead of his time.
>>
>>87267598
The power was Sauron's power - Sauron put part of himself into the ring. Rowlings stole the idea and called it a "horcrux". As long as the ring existed, Sauron couldn't die, even though his body was destroyed - but so much of his power was in the ring, not having it robbed him of so much power he was a spirit for hundreds of years.
By using the power, it allows Sauron's power to corrupt you - and since Sauron can't die if the ring isn't destroyed, you'd have a short period of control, then you'd be under his power, and he'd compel you to come to him to give him the ring. Just carrying it almost corrupted Frodo, and wearing it once in a while fucked up Bilbo completely. The elf queen and Gandalf refused to touch it, because they know, in the end, Sauron would win, or they'd destroy Sauron, and then become him. Sauron was a demi-Satan, part of him was in the ring, and an angelic being, Gandalf, was afraid of it. That pretty much tells you, no mortal or elf is going to wear it and accomplish anything good.
>>
>>87279040
This based Bro clearing things up
>>
>>87271192
He would have eventually become a witch king, like the others, and tortured by being forced to hand the ring over to Sauron.
>>
>>87277865
What's he going to carry a volcano in, a wooden cart?
>>
>>87266686
The allure of sin
>>
>>87279040
It didn't fuck up Bilbo completely tho, nigga carried it for more than half a century and gave it up willingly, unironically one the bravest and purest beings in all middle earth
>>
>>87278262
From TFotR:
>All know in Gondor that he went first to Minas Anor and dwelt a while with his nephew Meneldil, instructing him, before he committed to him the rule of the South Kingdom.
>>
>>87268097
tfw gandalf as ring lord is daenerys targaryen
>>
If Gandalf being a wizard was actually because he was an angel spirit why is Saruman also a wizard?
>>
>>87279719
because saruma was also an angel spirit
so was radagast
>>
>>87277973
Saruman was corrupted, because he was using the palantir - just looking into it, Sauron ensnared him, and corrupted him. He was not corrupted by knowledge that the ring existed - he wanted the humans and elves to find the ring to fight Sauron - but after he looked into the Palantir, he was Sauron's puppet, and Sauron used him to try and find the ring.

Did you even read the books? It's all spelled out in the Two Towers. The whole point of Pippin looking into the palantir, was for Gandalf to discover the link between Isengard and Mordor - and why Pippin went with Gandalf, because Gandalf could'nt be sure what Sauron did to Saruman, would be happening to Pippin.
>>
>>87278262
About a year. He stayed in Gondor to clean shit up, plant the trees, and decide who's king, then he set off for Arnor, and he was attacked in the Gladdening Fields, about a year later.
>>
>>87279356
No, it didn't fuck him up completely, but enough Gandalf was concerned about him. He also didn't carry it around like Frodo did.
>>
>>87279719
Saruman was the same as Gandalf - Saruman was Gandalf's boss. The wizards were all angelic beings, sent by the gods to accomplish certain tasks and help the humans and elves. Gandalf didn't want to go to Middle Earth, he wanted to stay where he was and work on his projects, but he was convinced to go.
>>
What's this tax policy LOTR meme based on?

I missed out on this one...
>>
File: muh silmarils.jpg (212KB, 564x545px) Image search: [Google]
muh silmarils.jpg
212KB, 564x545px
Most of you plebs haven't even read the source material.
>>
>>87279943
>In the books Pippin actually met the spirit of Sauron himself and Sauron laughed at him wondering who the fuck this midget was.
>>
>>87280103
Still, by the end, before he left it for Frodo, he felt compelled to keep it in his pocket.
>>
>>87278262
His death in the books was a total meme. They were attacked at night and in the confusion one of his men actually had time to convince him to put the Ring on and escape. He lost the Ring as he swam, was distraught for a moment, then said "eh, fuck it" and made it to the other side. When he climbed out of the water like swamp thing on the far bank one orc scout with elite night vision shot him in the throat.
>>
>>87280378
Yep.
"“I tried to get away, because I thought it would fly out; but when it had covered all the globe, it disappeared. Then he came. He did not speak so that I could hear words. He just looked, and I understood.
‘ “So you have come back? Why have you neglected to report for so long?”
‘I did not answer. He said: “Who are you?” I still did not answer, but it hurt me horribly; and he pressed me, so I said: “A hobbit.”
‘Then suddenly he seemed to see me, and he laughed at me. It was cruel. It was like being stabbed with knives. I struggled. But he said: “Wait a moment! We shall meet again soon. Tell Saruman that this dainty is not for him. I will send for it at once. Do you understand? Say just that!”
‘Then he gloated over me. I felt I was falling to pieces. No, no! I can’t say any more. I don’t remember anything else.”

Excerpt From: J. R. R. Tolkien; Alan Lee. “The Lord of the Rings Illustrated.”
>>
It grants powers to non mortals / anyone strong enough to conquer it. If you're mortal/weak it pulls you into the wraith world, thus making you invisible.

Anyone saying it "amplifies your innate power so hobbits are invisible" or something is wrong.
>>
>>87278327
Bombadil
>>
Why was Tom so powerful?
Why didn't he take the ring?
Was he too busy fucking Goldberry to give a shit?
>>
>>87281181
he is nature itself
nature is the most powerful thing in the whole universe and does not care for such trivial power
>>
>>87281054
I like bombadil is melkor theory
>>
>>87281031
Certainly invisibility wasn't just for hobbits, but also for men.
>>
>>87281320
Na he's Iluvatar, that's why he likes singing so much.
Thread posts: 128
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.