[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anime was a bust

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7

File: IMG_1309.jpg (292KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1309.jpg
292KB, 1000x1000px
>>
What else do you expect when anime and Japanese media in general are by and large an inferior medium of entertainment devoid of any artistic merit and you're trying to transition into film and cinema. There's a reason why the target market for the sources for the adaptations OP's pic are mainly autistic manchildren who feed off wish fulfillment and otaku pandering.
>>
>>87222187
Wasn't anime supposed to be the next cape shit?
>>
>>87222187
Ghost in The Shell wasn't even bad
>>
the gits movie was fine
>>
>>87222187
>he posts from his phone
>he's comparing the atrocity of Dragon Ball Evolution to the new GITS and Death Note movies in order to make a point
>he's such a faggot that he probably didn't even see any one of these three films
>>
>>87222454
That will be vidya kino.
>>
File: IMG_1310.jpg (83KB, 720x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1310.jpg
83KB, 720x1080px
>>87222544
It was a flop too

Seriously do people even remember this was a thing, it was here and gone in a blink of an eye
>>
>>87222187
Death Note is not a major studio release, Dragon Ball Evolution was so long ago that it doesn't reflect upon current industry trends, and while GitS was disappointing, it didn't bomb nearly as hard as it could have.

The viability of anime adaptations as major Hollywood projects will hinge on Robert Rodriguez of all people. Based James Cameron got him $200 million to make Battle Angel Alita, which should come out next year. I hope he hits it out of the park, but if it John Carters out, further anime projects will likely be shelved for at least 5 years.
>>
>>87222604
Metal Gear will save us.
>>
>>87222484
>>87222500
>>87222518

You're missing the point, it doesn't matter whether /tv/ liked this movies

They were commercial and critical flops, to mainstream execs anime was a bust
>>
Hollywood is too stale and creatively dead to make a good anime adaptation. It'll always end up inferior.
>>
>>87222187
>Change characters, locations, plot
>Somehow expect it to attract fans of the anime/manga/LN

I'm glad these fail, I don't want normies to infect anime the same way they have destroyed every "geek" hobby in the west.
>>
>>87222867
It's impossible for normies to go beyond surface level anime. Shit like Eromanga Sensei would keep them away.
>>
>>87222312
Really this. The possibilities for anime are literally endless yet every series has the same tropes which are designed to sell figurines et cetera because that's how the industry works. Worse than hollywood. And when a show comes along which is barely the equal of mostwestern intellectual cinema it gets praised for being just slightly deviating from the norm. Fucking waste of talent
>>
>>87222867
>I don't want normies to infect anime the same way they have destroyed every "geek" hobby in the west.
Anon, I...
>>
>>87223120
>I don't actually watch anime
>>
>>87222312
>>87222454
>>87222484
Nobody wants anime in hollywood. Normies are timid about even the most accessible entry-level shit, and the core fanbase refuses to support the adaptations unlike capeshit fanboys.

>>87222822
This is accurate. Market research will dilute original stories into networks of cliches.
>>
If you read a mango and then watch an animoo you can see not only how they took pains to preserve the artist's style, but lifted panels directly from the book to turn into frames of animation.

This is pretty much what weebs want in their adaptations (western comic fans do too but they're more accustomed to not getting it). Don't deliver and they'll be upset.
>>
>>87222187

Honestly? None of the movies were really anime. It was some western action movie with a bad script. YO GEEKO, using wind as a weapon (is this airbender now?) etc. Death Note? Bad writing, bad acting. I have not seen GitS.
>>
>>87223284
I do and it's fucking terrible. Even the best series are game of thrones level. Granted I need to watch more obscure anime but after the shitshow that was Serial Expirments LainI'm more apprehensive. Fucking love doushinji though. The amount of artistic talent needed to make lines erotic and fappable for months is astounding
>>
jews don't understand anime, that's why all hollywood adaptations are shit
>>
>>87223682

All anime has these stereotypes with girls who behave like fucking aliens. The only anime I actually ever liked was Vandread, Attack on Titan, and Haikyuu.
>>
>>87223682
>claims to know a lot about anime
>mentions watching Lain

Every time.
>>
>>87223682
You are watching shitty anime. Simple as that

Watch Ping pong the animation to get a taste of art house anime
>>
Post animes that are safe from being ruined by awful movie adaptations.
>>
>>87222454
The more they try to translate anime to western adaptations, the clearer it comes.that Japanese pop culture is just too fucking odd for a general western audiences.
>>
>>87222187
>Fuck up the script so bad for Ghost in the Shell that it might as well be a different movie all together

It sucked because it was a soulless cash grab that totally shat on the original script.
>>
>>87224383
Well a big problem with anime is the fact that the protagonists are usually teenagers and are often children. Given that most child actors suck and for some reason we use young looking twentysomethings for teens, it presents a big challenge to adapt most popular anime.
>>
>>87222484
It was exactly fine, but it still underperformed, so I doubt it's going to be a very good talking point when you consider the idea of doing more anime adaptations
>>
>>87224707
Anime draws 14yo boys the way Hollywood casts them: as 20-somethings.
This should present no problem for adaptations.
>>
FLCL could be a good adaptation into a movie.

I don't personally get why ppl like fooly cooly but I think those 6 episodes could be turned into a decent movie.
>>
>>87223776
The Jew fears the samurai
>>
File: EdgeofTomorrow.jpg (3MB, 2880x1800px) Image search: [Google]
EdgeofTomorrow.jpg
3MB, 2880x1800px
This was good though.
>>
>>87225076
the actors were 30 years too old and the ending was bad
>>
>>87222187
The if every anime adaptation made by Hollywood is shit, the common denominator is anime.
>>
>putting dragonball on the same tier as gits or netlix note

what's it like being a disingenuous cunt? While I wouldn't argue any are good movies dragonball was at a whole different level of incompetence
>>
>>87223575
They did that in gits
>>
>>87225076
Technically a manga adaptation but I guess it counts.
>>87225500
Ending was slightly disappointing at worst and the cast was fine. It's a good movie,
>>
File: tumblr_obz89fv1Mp1ucpcboo1_500.gif (2MB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_obz89fv1Mp1ucpcboo1_500.gif
2MB, 500x375px
>>87222646
>The viability of anime adaptations as major Hollywood projects will hinge on Robert Rodriguez of all people. Based James Cameron got him $200 million to make Battle Angel Alita, which should come out next year. I hope he hits it out of the park, but if it John Carters out, further anime projects will likely be shelved for at least 5 years.
Came to post this, excited for that film.
Just praying he doesn't go cheap or silly with it.
>>
File: IMG_2119.jpg (308KB, 868x1107px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2119.jpg
308KB, 868x1107px
My hero academia could really make a successful film franchise, that's all.
>>
Anime, outside of a small handful, is complete trash. Keep it out of my cinema, thanks.
>>
>>87224960
I feel like it would be too Scott Pilgrim-esque
>>
I think they could make an awesome version of Cowboy Bebop. It would need Keanu Reeves as Spike Spiegel though :)
>>
>>87222187

Dragonball Evolution is cringekino of the highest order. Maximum entertainment value.

>>87222646

Rodriguez is a better choice than Cameron (who originally planned to write and direct). Cameron's too far up his own ass to make anything sincere these days, and if his script for Spider-Man is any indication, it would only be faithful in the fact that there's a character named Alita.

Rodriguez is an average director but at least he has passion and respect for his projects regardless of how goofy they are.
>>
>>87230111
he's too old now, and spike needs to be played by a jew.
>>
File: 962L.jpg (54KB, 724x425px) Image search: [Google]
962L.jpg
54KB, 724x425px
>>87230191

Forgot my pic.
>>
>>87222187
Hollywood is currently bust. Too busy diddlin' kids. What do you expect?
>>
>>87229143
Nah. It doesn't fit into the capeshit mold at all.
It's ensemble cast based, in a fantastic world, with young heroes and a relatively underplayed backstory building the whole damn thing.
Those ideas are far too off the Hollywood cliches.
They'd just try their damnedest to make MnHA an X-men rip off where the Academia is a secret school or something and Deku stumbles upon All Might and gets his powers and now he has to hide them from Mom.
Everything in the comics would be severely simplified and a lot of it would be cut.
Anything that's too Niplike is out.

It'd be a disaster.
>>
>>87222187
Neither DN nor GitS are that bad to put next to DB: Evolution.
DN specially was misunderstood kino.
>>
>>87222187
Death Note 2017 was kino though, you just didn't understand it
>>
>>87230191
I think Rodriguez is definitely talented, but I'm a little concerned about how he will handle this movie. The budget is ten times bigger than that of any other Rodriguez film and there's got to be a lot of pressure there. He doesn't have a ton of experience with the kind of Special Effects or the big set pieces that are necessary in this kind of movie.

That said, I'm rooting for him and think he's more than capable. Also Cameron has a scriptwriting credit on the movie.
>>
>>87224960
Average person would be confused as fuck, trust me.
>>
>>87227893
>Technically a manga adaptation but I guess it counts.
You do realize most anime is manga adaptions? Both Death Note and Dragonball are technically manga adaptions, not anime adaptions.
>>
>>87231241
Nah dude they're adaptations of anime which were adaptations of manga.
>>
>>87222484
I fell asleep in the theater twice watching it.
>>
>>87229143
>tfw my favorite weebshows are all westaboo creations
>>
File: 1483853042242.jpg (79KB, 754x912px) Image search: [Google]
1483853042242.jpg
79KB, 754x912px
but it was kino senpais
https://youtu.be/aEof5_6pqcY
>>
Death Note was great though. Black guy did a great job as L. William motherfucking Dafoe as Ryuk was fantastic. Mia was pretty great as well.
Light was the weakest character but only because they wrote him as such a pussy not because the actor did a bad job.
The cinematography was probably the best that's ever been in a Netflix movie by a mile.
As an adaptation it wasn't great but as it's own it was a good movie.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.