[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

David Flynch - Eraserhead

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 1

File: Eraserhead.jpg (433KB, 1200x1582px) Image search: [Google]
Eraserhead.jpg
433KB, 1200x1582px
Let's talk about this movie. I never watch any movies but i saw someone on youtube talk about it so i decided to watch it… Bad decision. Fucked me up for for 2 days. What do ya'll think about this movie?
>>
Nice aesthetics and oppressively dreary
>>
>>87196030
Lynch is a fan of Ed Wood, considering that randomly placed radiator.
>>
One of my favorite films. It's a rather traumatizing film about the horrors of parenthood and having the weight of responsibility over another thing's life thrust upon you. It also critiques the innate sexual repression we experience specifically as Americans and how that usually destroys family units. It's like the contradiction of the perfect nuclear family ideal and how that constraint causes people to cheat more. It's also really funny.
>>
>>87196438
the chickens have got to do with female menstruation, mmm.
>>
>>87196030
LYNCHED
>>
>>87196468
That whole dinner scene is a nightmare about having all your sexual secrets exposed to the in-laws you're meeting for the first time.
>>
I always saw it as more of Henry's struggle against himself rather than parenthood. He is incredibly fearful, and so fear of parenthood is within the scope of the film, but the baby is just a vessel for Henry's own insecurities and shortcomings
>>
made me feel sleepy
>>
>>87196030
my favorite from Lynch. Soundtrack is GOAT
>>
It's a fucking piece of shit "art house" film and lynch is a pretentious cock sucker.
>>
>>87196541
>Soundtrack is GOAT
when party rockers kicks in as he starts stabbing the alium i always lose my shit
>>
>>87196519
I can definitely see that. It felt like somewhat autobiographical.
>>
>>87196560
Lynch is the opposite of pretentious
>>
>>87196519
That's because beta fearful man are a danger to society, the "nice" guys aren't so nice. By extension Lynch is saying he hates every single one of you.
>>
>>87196560
Interesting insight.
>>
>>87196595
>>87196618
I understand its "read between the lines" and heavily relies on metaphor but it along with movies like 2001: Space Odyssey that focus on style rather than substance are incredibly lacking imo
>>
>>87196595
Yeah he's lolsorandum.

>i just did a bunch of random shit without any meaning and i can just pretend there's meaning but you have to find it yourself because WEEOO WEEOO post modernism or something lol
>>
>>87196560
>puts art house in quotations because the thought of film being utilized as a medium of art and thus being ambitious and requiring interpretation on the part of the viewer is too intimidating
>>
>>87196560
This is the simplest Lynch film of all. You have the right to call pretentious, indie, art house shit to any of his other movies/works. But this is the most straightforward thematically.
>>
>>87196659
What? Everything Lynch does has meaning to him. It is just not a priority to him that it means the same things to the viewer. And to some it means nothing and that is okay, but Lynch is very purposeful and honest with his work
>>
>>87196438
It is indeed very traumatizing but i didn't think it was funny xD
>>
>>87196658
I disagree. The scenes are all very intentional. Also, 2001 is a completely different type of movie and super explicit. 2001 is a linear narrative. Eraserhead uses some experimental storytelling elements. I think you misunderstand what "style" "substance" means in terms of filmmaking. Just because something has plot or an explicit three act story doesn't mean it has substance.
>>
>>87196722
Funny in the nervous laugh sorta way. Lots of nervous laughter, but that's part of the fun. :)
>>
>>87196658
But neither of those films are lacking in substance at all. First of all that is a false dichotomy because in a visual medium, style can be substance. But 2001 deals with evolution and man vs technology, and eraserhead has to do with confronting fears and anxiety. It also experiments with style and how atmosphere and sound can create a mood underneath the viewer's skin
>>
>>87196541
I loved the soundtrack
>>
In heaven, everything is fine.
>>
>>87196975
Oh no don't even start
>>
>>87196975
best version right here, anon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GpYE_Vfkf4
>>
>>87196722
I rented it when I was 15. This was before internet. Rented it purely out of curiosity, because that videotape box stood out from the rest on the wall. Eraserhead...is that him in the photo? I rode home on my bike with the videotape. Magical movie from magical time in my life.
>>
>>87197176
You were 15 in what year?
>>
>>87196658
>style rather than substance
the style is the substance
>>
>>87196975
In reddit, everything is memes.
You've got my Chuck, and I've got Sneed.
>>
>>87196664
>Intimidating
Pretentious cock sucker
>>
>>87197232
>>
This movie is more important than what people give it credit for, the whole underground subculture of the 80s was massively influenced by it
>>
>>87197497
Wow, I sure would love to read more about that.
>>
>>87197497
>>87197557
Yeah me too, continue
>>
>>87197557
>>87197624
Well, I'm no anthropologist, but the alternative music and independent film-making in the 80s owes a lot to Eraserhead, especially the artists based out of NYC and LA. A lot of artsy movies really took a lot out of Lynch's depiction of an extremely oppressive urban environment - the whole "No Wave" thing reminds me a lot of Eraserhead in terms of themes and aesthetics - even in the fashion, people moved from the abrasive punk look to wearing business themed attire as a subversive statement. The independent scene in LA got noticeably darker and more existential afterwards, with influential groups like Tuxedomoon basing their entire existence around being love letters to Lynch - hell, to this day it's a staple for underground artists who cover darker themes to cover In Heaven.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.