[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Now that the dust has settled, what did we think of this?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_1684.jpg (35KB, 272x408px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1684.jpg
35KB, 272x408px
Now that the dust has settled, what did we think of this?
>>
aunty antje shouldve played major
>>
>>87191774
i liked it, the rest of you can fuck off.
>>
I legitimately enjoyed it. It did a good job of making the plot easier to understand than the anime and was very faithful to the source material.
>>
>>87191845
You're not wrong, but I do wish they didn't obsess over the major's backstory. You smell the nervous film execs in all that shit
>>
Worse than Death Note.
>>
>>87191810
No you didnt
>>
>>87191810
>>87191845
>>87191983
American movie taste.
>>
File: 1503329803814.jpg (247KB, 1773x1773px) Image search: [Google]
1503329803814.jpg
247KB, 1773x1773px
>>87191810
>>
>>87191774
I thought it was okay, not terrible not great, just some movie.
>>
How can I judge when I haven't seen a single webm?
>>
It was pretty bad. I have a limited knowledge of the source material, but this movie felt like both an original work and a sequel. It gave no time to the nipponese suicide squad she worked with, but they showed up for the Iron Man 2008-tier climax anyway, that old dude going so far as to kill the main baddy whose motives were complex.

It was just a poorly edited clusterfuck, and that one scene gave me a fucking epileptic siezure, so the noname corporate suit who sat in the "director's" chair can go fuck himself. Zero creativity, just a cocaine sniffing tool for pedophiles.
>>
>>87191774
I didn't like the "corporate baddy" cliche. but it wasn't awful. It just wasn't memorable or visceral enough for my taste.
>>
>>87191774
Better than the original movie which was a pretentious snorefest, but still boring.
>>
>>87191774
>The message from the original was flatted and turn into Hollywood trivial shit.
>Action scenes are pretty but completely emotionless and unsatisfying.
>It was so formal, stiff and boring
>Why is the plot V for Vendetta now?

OP from the Death Note thread here, btw.
>>
It's split between rehashing the imagery and setting with half the meaning and craft and not going all the way with creating it's own story. Agressively mediocre.
>>
>>87191774
it was just ok up to pre ghost-dive then it literally dive into the paviment
>>
It looked nice in a few places.
That's about it.
>>
>>87192014
kill yourself
>>
best looking movie this year. I dont care if the writing is shit that's not what i expect to be good in a action movie
>>
>>87191774
>>87192081

I didn't hate it, but it kinda left me high and dry anyway. The plot was a minimal-effort affair, the 1:1 recreations of anime scenes felt gimmicky and sometimes outright unnecessary, the set design was sorta uninspired (Hong Kong with an added layer CGI-crap – they could've just left that extra layer out), every moment where there could've been some depth to the whole thing was cut short by some acton set-piece, the soundtrack was mediocre, some casting choices were just... meh (for example, Pilou Asbaek as Batou probably did the best with what he had been given, but he still just kinda lacked the attitude) and while I could watch Scarlett Johansson all day and she was an okay lead, I still don't get some of the mannerisms she brought to the role – for example that she sorta stood in a hunched position and appeared to be sniffing out her sorroundings in a couple of scenes and that really just... made the character look dumber than it's supposed to be...

tl;dr: I think the word to best describe this film would be 'lackluster'.
>>
File: 1411775212997.jpg (73KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1411775212997.jpg
73KB, 768x1024px
>>87191774
It was just RoboCop. I haven't seen the original anime movie since l was a kid but it didn't have anything to do with false memories or some bullshit about finding out about her past life. The basic theme of having a soul, artificial intelligence having souls and the mind traversing the cyberweb were all shadowed for this RoboCop remake.

What the fuck? Did they forget about that awful RoboCop reboot already? I thought the Japanese were terrible at adapting live action movies but this proves that even with a budget and good looking CGI they'll still fuck it up somehow.
>>
>>87197081
yeah, it felt a lot like "Asia-RoboCop"
>>
>>87191774
Graphics were ass, ruined the movie
>>
>>87197081
If the movie couldn't even handle being a bland RoboCop ripoff, what makes you think they would be able to tackle any kind of philosophical themes? Not even attempting it was a good decision imo
>>
>>87197419
Are those themes really 2DEEP for pleb audiences? Even my mother, who only watches movies for action scenes and doesn't even listen to conversations, was so bored she dropped it an hour in.

Not attempting it reeks of director making up his own bullshit and cashing in on the brand name. They should have at least catered to SOMEONE. Who was this movie made for? The Chinese?
>>
>>87197081
the CGI was shit man
>>
>>87197880
Yeah, it was shit but it looks way better than any CGI made by nippons.
>>
>>87197619
It was made to test the waters and see if their is an audience for live-action weebshit. It was assumed that the anime fans would all go see it just from name recognition and certain iconic scenes, so everything else about was made to cater to the normie audience to see if they could be brought in. It didn't work, so Hollywood will give anime adaptations another five or ten years off before trying again.
>>
>>87198105
if your theory is true, even in a decade no good adoptions will happen. GitS is a masterpiece of the last generation. People that are fans are mostly born in the 80s. People pass 40 are not a major demographic for the entertainment industry and is considered fringe.

In a decade, what the heck kind of anime are they going to adopt into live action? What's the master piece of current generation? Can't think of one.

Maybe one of the Gundam series? There's a very limited pool of animes that has a good western audience base.
>>
>>87198206
I'm not a fan of anime myself so I have no idea what specific work would be a good choice for an adaption. However it seems that anime fans are extremely picky and finicky, which means trying to please them or find a group of them large enough to sustain a single work likely won't be possible. So whichever title Hollywood picks, assuming they don't give up on the idea altogether which is also possible, I think they will just try harder to cater to the normie audience.

Hollywood's revenues are falling across the board and have been for years, so they are really averse to pandering to a small niche audience that is notoriously hard to please and that also subdivides itself into subgroups that don't watch each other's favorite titles.
>>
>>87191774
I want to fuck her mouth so bad.
>>
>>87198206
l could see a Hollywood Evangelion. But fuck everything you think you know about NGE, lets just focus on the ROBOTS. "It's like Pacific Rim right? But good robots versus aliens? Are these supposed to be kids in this anime? Fuck that, lets get Chris Pratt and some black chick to play the girl. It'll be fucking fantastic."
>>
>>87198392
Well if they adopt the Hobbit but butchers the key plots, novel reading fans wouldn't be happy either.

Ghost in the Shell is a discussion of humanity. What makes a human human. It is also a discussion on individuality, especially when consciousness can be uploaded to the net or through the net people can expose their consciousness to everything directly.

The movie almost touched none of the key points of the anime. The anime is not a cyberpunk for the sake of cyberpunking. It specifically choose the name "ghost in the shell", ghost as in soul/unique consciousness, shell as in cybernetic implants or even entirely man made bodies. The philosophical, if not for a better word, implications is in the name itself.

The movie simply has shit script that's all. It's extremely generic and done to death revenge plot.
>>
>Every single adaptation of GitS is different
>The movie gets the most hate for being another different adaptation
I don't get it
>>
File: robocop.jpg (41KB, 320x445px) Image search: [Google]
robocop.jpg
41KB, 320x445px
>>87191774
It was okay. Seems like they were trying to make a robocop movie though.
What with making Kusanagi the only full prosthetic person and making the bad guys be the guys who made her and fiddled with her memories.
Really butchered everyone's backstories.

I wonder if they did that knowingly. Ripped off robocop because they thought it would make the movie less of a risk.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.