[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What the hell was the point of this movie? Was it just about

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: barton-fink-535e9f7f395ec.jpg (337KB, 1000x562px) Image search: [Google]
barton-fink-535e9f7f395ec.jpg
337KB, 1000x562px
What the hell was the point of this movie? Was it just about Charlie grooming Barton into another serial killer?

The whole thing just gave me high school assignment anxiety flashbacks. I'm sure there's a big secret metaphor but I just didn't see it.
>>
The hotel was hell and Goodman was Satan.
>>
>>87166303
That seems too obvious to be true.
>>
Rise of fascim
Disregard of the left to the common people they claim to represent (see Alf Garnett)
The death of theatre and rise of both cinema and tv
Things are not as they seem to be
The hard truth behind several talented writers, like Faulkner
Low culture vs high culture
The ways of media moguls
The studio system in hollywood before the war
Jewish diaspora
>>
>>87167071
You're just listing themes that are presented at face value throughout the movie. Is it supposed to be just a huge mess of different plot elements with no overarching purpose?
>>
>>87167120
You are supposed to watch the film and think about those themes
>>
>>87167148
I did think about them, and they are definitely themes of the movie. But I want to know what the actual point of this movie was. Anyone can make a movie and throw a bunch of shit together, like writer's block, media moguls, serial killers, etc. But you realize at the end that it was all for a purpose, that they all connect to each other to give the movie meaning. I didn't see it with this movie and I just want to know what it is or if there even is one.
>>
>>87167213
Sometimes the purpose is just to think of those themes. But, if you do need to have a purpose, the purpose is to see how Barton Fink self proclaims to be a voice for the common people, but is disattached from them, as you can see by he refusing to listen to John Goodman's stories, and fails to be what he is. That, and the othe themes, are the point. There are films made for you to think about the themes on it, and the characters are just proxies. And you can also watch Fink's journey, which is entertaing per ser
>>
>>87167120
This movie was born out of writers block for the Coen brother's other movie "Miller's Crossing". So I think that's supposed to play into the idea of the movie as well, explaining why there's a bunch of themes jumping around but no real structure to it. It's like a writer trying to make sense of it all.
>>
>>87167120
So he lists you all the movie's themes and all you had to see is they are not connected...

Disregard this thread, OP is just a fucking idiot.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.