[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Uhhh I don't get it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

Uhhh I don't get it
>>
Lynch is a hack, that's why.
>>
>>87067659
I read this movie was the best movie of the 2000s so far
>>
>>87067582
It was a television pilot that was released as a feature, if that helps
>>
>>87067582
No one does
>>
it's a metaphor for hollywood
>>
>>87067582
You need to get really high to understand that movie. I got high and it didn't help
>>
>>87067897
I actually just watched it completely stoned and at first it felt like Eyes Wide Shut but then the first make out scene they had threw me off and got lost since then
>>
>>87067582

It's complicated. The basic "plot" you could take away is that a lesbian wannabe actress kills herself because her famous secret waifu dumps her, so she imagines a better reality while she's dying. From what I recall.

But that's like, just the surface. God it's hard not to sound pretentious talking about Lynch.
>>
>>87068056
It has been years that I've seenMD, but I guess this post has the gist of it. Most of the movie is a fever dream of how things should have gone (according to her) just before Watson kills herself.
>>
>>87068056
you've merely pulled one layer away from the delightful onion that is Mulholland Drive. I'd advise you to dig deeper... if you can handle the tears, that is
>>
>>87068056
>>87068056
This is the one way to take it. I prefer the idea that all actresses start out as Betty. Talented, bright eyed, optimistic, and the whole thing just seems to land into place. There's hints at an underground with other actresses she knows but it doesn't discourage her. But eventually they all become Diane. Used and abused by the industry they used to love. They're discarded by their career and forced to watch others take their place. They're both played by Naomi Watts because in the eyes of the industry, they're all interchangeable parts.

The other parts just emphasized other aspects of Hollywood fuckery. The corruption, the ridiculous demands from producers that hold back the writer/director's dream, etc.
>>
>>87067582
Lost Highway
Formerly Mulholland Drive
>>
>>87067582
There's not much to get. The dream of Hollywood will fuck you up. It's an emotional movie, not an intellectual one.
>>
>>87067582
>name's mulholland, i drive.
fuckin really?
>>
>>87067897
>>87068016
Is this the Degenerate Central? What has /tv/ come to.
>>
>>87067857
Word. Not everything has to make sense to be enjoyable though.
>>
>>87068056
It's really not complicated, there's very little else to it beyond what you sort of covered there, I think people like to convince themselves there's some big picture thing going on with this movie so even when they hit on the obvious answer they don't accept it
>naive girl goes to hollywood to seek fame and fortune etc
>gets knocked back repeatedly, dreams shattered, realises the absolute core of the thing is she's just not as talented as maybe everyone told her and that she had convinced herself, her best isn't good enough
>blows a gasket and goes schizo
>invents a fantasy world in which she once again arrives in hollywood (this is the actual start of the movie, the slapping you around the head obvious visual clue is the overexposed dreamy 'bloom' effect missing from the reality segments) but this time she actually is an exceptional actress
>nails her casting session with an amazing performance but doesn't get cast not because shadowy figures (the mob boss guy) with unknowable (read: nonexistent) motives step in to prevent her from succeeding (like how /pol/ can't get a girlfriend not because they're incompetent but because duh joos, this is her justification)
>even the director who in her head of course desperately wanted to cast her is outraged at the injustice, hence smashing up the mob guys car
>people around her want to adore her like she feels they should and so she comes up with various different increasingly convoluted and incoherent reasons why they can't
>and so on
That's basically it, it's about Hollywood and fame to an extent but more generally the idea of setting yourself up for a fall by setting yourself sky-high expectations that reality will never match
See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOOw2yWMSfk
>>
>>87067582
>expecting to get the movies of DUDE SO RANDUM AND SURREAL: The Director
>>
>>87068844
And what did the man who had a dream of meeting a filthy bum in the alley behind a cheap diner represent
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.