[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why is this film so underrated? i thoroughly enjoyed it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7

File: Death-Note-Netflix-555x311 (1).jpg (20KB, 555x311px) Image search: [Google]
Death-Note-Netflix-555x311 (1).jpg
20KB, 555x311px
why is this film so underrated?
i thoroughly enjoyed it
>>
>>87052695
Anime autist SCREEECHING because it's not a 1:1 adaptation of their chinese cartoon, instead opting to take the basic premise and do it's own thing, because they're too immature to be able to divorce it from the source material and view a movie clearly intended to stand on it's own as a standalone film.

That being said, the movie is only like a 6/10 at best. About what you'd expect from most straight to VOD fodder.
>>
>>87052695
it's not even a film - it feels more like a pilot of a series that will never get picked up
>>
>>87052695

I hadnt seen the anime or manga and I didnt like it. Watching it there was a ton of crappy writing. I was annoyed the most at light going to the girl and just telling her he has a book that cna kill. The guy got his ass kicked, she witnessed it and then lied to the principal about it so the guy that kicked his ass wouldnt get in trouble. WHY IS SHE THE FIRST PERSON HE TELLS, AND WHY IN THE END IS HE SURPRISED WHEN SHE BETRAYS HIM!?
>>
>>87052695
Cinematography and soundtrack alone don't make a film good.
>>
>>87052695
I liked it, too. It didn't take itself seriously and had some funny moments. The worst part was Mia. Her character sucked and the way she got into the story sucked, decent actress though. I didn't care that it was different from the anime, I actually thought it was better.
>>
>>87053017
>Cinematography and soundtrack alone don't make a film good.
those weren't even good.
>>
Has a straight to Netflix movie ever been talked about as much as this?
>>
Its shit, but not that bad desu. Light is a retard in this, Mia is too smart and L is too emotional.

BUT

D A F O E
A
F
O
E

Dafoe as Ryuk is godlike, and desu it was solidly entertaining, I'd watch a sequel desu.

That said, the Japanese film I feel was superior.
>>
>>87053166
she looks like emma roberts so right away she filled me with rage
>>
It's the definition of hidden gem.
>>
>>87053261
>she looks like emma roberts
Buy glasses, get an ocular transplant, or just plain kill yourself you faceblind retard.
>>
I just don't like that L was a nigger
>>
Is it the first time that japanese version is better?
>>
>>87053240
Beasts of No Nation was talked about more in the mainstream media, since it was Netflix's first film and had Idris Elba. Online though, Death Note has been the most hyped up Netflix movie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT9e41fxpHo
>>
>>87052695
I actually like Turner over Yagami. He acts like a real life person, doesn't go out to kill cops/government agents investigating him, and kills cartel members, terrorists and corrupt politicians that are outside the reach of the law also instead of just going after criminals already in jail. Also, his mother dying and his strained relationship with his cop father further justifies his hatred for criminals.
>>
>movie has several apples throughout
>hmm are they make an allegory to adam and eve with this bitch cheerleader and pussy whiped loser
>watch anime
>it just has a lot of apple imagery
>movie just stuck apples because
>>
File: 1503758759918.jpg (133KB, 1200x488px) Image search: [Google]
1503758759918.jpg
133KB, 1200x488px
threadly reminder
>>
it was so retarded it became kino
>>
>>87053251
kys weeb
>>
the weeb damage control has reached a delusional state not thought previously possible.
>>
>>87053773
>weeb damage control
Do you mean the opposite of damage control? All I see is weebs trashing this film
>>
File: 1426059658508.jpg (43KB, 302x299px) Image search: [Google]
1426059658508.jpg
43KB, 302x299px
>>87053671
>surname in reverse is I AM GAY
>it's not even true
>>
Guys, guys, guys, we're forgetting the key problem with this movie
L is a nigger
>>
>>87053671
>if someone does notice the very obviously fake bottom of my drawer and messes with it, it'll just explode in flames and put my entire neighborhood at risk
>i'll just say it was a diary, no prob
>>
File: Walt.jpg (55KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Walt.jpg
55KB, 1280x720px
>>87053915
>>surname in reverse is I AM GAY
>YAGAMI
>IMAGAY
>>
>>87053984
P R O O F
R
O
O
F
>>
>>87052854
This. How can you expect to fit death note into 90 minutes and capture even the spirit of the car and mouse game that light and l play in the series. Even the nip version knew it was at least 2 movies. It was silly to try. Same goes for dark tower.
>>
Movie was good, people just hated it before they've seen it since its sacrilege to the web community
>>
>>87053251
They had the makings of a pretty good TV show. But as a film it's just not enough time to get anything done.
>>
>>87053307
Not him, but I couldn't help but think the same thing while viewing.
>>
It was better than the jap movies and if you disagree you are just a weeb
>>
>>87052695
the girl was hot

>tfw she will never tell you to give her the goddamn book
>>
>>87053618
He shouldn't act like a real person. The notebook corrupts the owner, that's why it's fun for the death god's to chuck them onto earth every once in a while.
Also ryuk was a bit too villainous, in the anime he really is just bored and looking for some fun, in this he's quite threatening. I liked him more the old way.
>>
>>87053261
It pissed me off because I like Emma Roberts and I had to keep looking at this chicks goofy off brand face.
>>
File: caught monologuing.webm (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
caught monologuing.webm
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>87052695
nwf
>>
>>87052695
Because it somehow took an amazing anime and completely fucked it up. How is that even possible? Somebody did all the hard work for you and you still mess up.
>>
>>87054652
>The notebook corrupts the owner
in the original this wasn't literal, it was simply "absolute power corrupts absolutely" and original Light corrupts completely within a week of using it because he was a high functioning sociopath to begin with.
later adaptions (especially the movies) take it literally to be some magical insanity infects the minds of the users.
netflix went back to the original interpretation and made Light not a sociopath.

>Also ryuk was a bit too villainous
that was a red herring so that Light could reasonably ignore any suspicions of Mia using the DN.
seems to me they expect to do another film, Ryuk will probably revert to more standard Ryuk post-Mia, now that Light has proven himself to be interesting and theres no need for a red herring.
>>
>>87055139
i love dumb drama Light so much.
>>
>>87055459
I was complimenting the Japanese version, but I did not realise there was a J-Drama, I was talking about the movie.

This is so hammy its golden though.
>>
>>87055545
drama Light is the only canon stupid adaption of Light and it works so well to justify all the massively stupid things Light has to do to get noosed with a perfect weapon.

i also like the Netflix way of doing it, offloading the sociopathic/competitive mistakes to Mia but there's still all sorts of dumb mistakes he makes that goes against the idea of him being smart.... not even including the following his dick mistake of immediately bringing Mia on board... most prominently, he doesnt read the fucking rules.
>>
I also thought it was alright. Probably has to do with the fact that I never gave a fuck about the anime series so I have no biased opinion regarding the lore.
>>
>>87052695
>why is this film so underrated?
Because its fucking shit even if you're not a fan of the source material?
>>
>>87052819
fpbp
>>
>>87053654
The death note was the forbidden fruit.
>>
File: keikaku.webm (3MB, 800x452px) Image search: [Google]
keikaku.webm
3MB, 800x452px
>>87055139
He was the perfect live action Light
>>
>>87057969
if only he had won.
i was fully expecting dumb Light to be the one who finally wins completely.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.