[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does found footage get such a bad rap? I feel like a lot

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: mpv-shot0018.jpg (301KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
mpv-shot0018.jpg
301KB, 1920x1080px
Why does found footage get such a bad rap? I feel like a lot of people just hear the genre found footage and automatically write a film off without even watching it. Which is stupid, since some of the best horrors in the past few years were found footage. You get your typical "how many more of these do we need" argument, but you could say the same for your average ghost flick or whatever stupid demon shit they push out year round.
If you don't like found footage horrors than you just don't like horror movies. Now, tell me exactly why you hate found footage or why you appreciate them like i do.
>>
>>87044128
Ever since three shitheads got lost the woods there's been an endless supply of copies.
>>
>>87044128
Because it's lazy. Dude why bother putting any effort to a film's production when we can just do found footage lmao?!

Also, the majority of found footage films are really, really terrible (in part related to the point above). Yeah, it's such a mystery why so many automatically "write them off"!
>>
>found footage movie
>It's a LOL SO SPOOPY MOVIE :^)

Why can't they try a drama/comedy with this format?
>>
>>87044528
>what is project x
>>
>>87044245
Not really true actually. Surprisingly there weren't a large number of Blair Witch imitators in the early 00s. It was actually Paranormal Activity in 2009 that kicked off the found footage craze.
>>
>>87044128
When it's good, it's really good, but it doesn't take much to make it crap. Any of the following pretty much instantly break immersion:

>bad writing
>bad acting
>bad effects
>breaking convention

Pretty much any of those can take a decent premise and crater it. They should stick with camera crews, surveillance footage, phones and GoPros. Even then, a camera crew should frequently be abandoning cameras, dropping them and shit. Only a fanatically dedicated cameraman would stoically keep filming the horror coming to kill him, and it's hard to "accidentally" film things with an unaided camera. The best found footage recognizes this and has a lot of footage obviously filmed by a source lying immobile on the ground.
>>
BWP and [REC] are the only good examples of found footage horror

There are like 10 shitty found footage horror flicks a year and they all suck.
>>
File: tonyblairwitchproject.jpg (41KB, 381x683px) Image search: [Google]
tonyblairwitchproject.jpg
41KB, 381x683px
>>87044128
someone /rec/ me some good found footage kinos? I've seen tony blair witch, and paranormal activity, that's about it.
>>
>>87044910
>forgetting Cannibal holocaust
>forgetting Noroi
>forgetting Guinea pig 2: flowers of flesh and bone
>forgetting troll hunter
Pleb
>>
>>87044128
>some of the best horrors in the past few years
Not exactly a high praise
>>
>>87044128
Because there are only 3 good movies out of hundreds. Cannibal Holocaust, Blair Witch Project and REC
>>
>>87044940
check out:
>banshee chapter
>the borderlands
>as above, so below
>hell house LLC

that's a nice starter kit.
>>
>>87044128
because its badly made. found footage always thinks home movie quality/editing = realism . even then they often have shots they could not have gotten so its high tech trying to be low tech ending up being a waste of time
>>
>>87044981
Cannibal Holocaust should have been all found footage like BWP. The framing device with the TV station was a mistake.
>>
>>87044981
fuck the contrarians, noroi is a good spooky movie
>>
>>87045013
I liked Cloverfield.
>>
>>87044886
I think best movie would be a movie crew that plane crashed in some woodu place
>>
>>87044981
>cannibal holocaust
DUDE REAL ANIMAL KILLINGS LMAO!
>>
>>87045093
Noroi is a pleb filter, people don't like it because it's a slow burner
>>
>>87045126
I watched one a couple of days ago with a pretty decent premise. It followed a Bear Grills type out filming a survival show when an alien starts trying to kill him. I think it was called "Man versus."

If the effects hadn't been total ass, it could have been fantastic.
>>
>>87044940
Troll Hunter and VHS 1
>>
>>87044128
They get a bad rap because they're very easy to screw up.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.