[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tobe Hooper RIP

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

Reminder that Tobe Hooper passed away the other evening. Who's marathoning his films in his honor? He really deserved a sticky, mods
>>
File: Lifeforce-1985-movie-4.jpg (7KB, 450x299px) Image search: [Google]
Lifeforce-1985-movie-4.jpg
7KB, 450x299px
I was on the fence about picking up that Scream Factory release of TCM2, but I'll probably take the plunge now.

I just watched Lifeforce the first time a week or so ago. It was fantastic. At least the movie is appreciated as a silly cult classic now as opposed to a total bomb back then.
>>
>>87031923
Watching Eaten Alive (1977) right now

link if anyone wants to watch with me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCKact5ADmk
>>
>>87031923
TCM blew my mind when I was little. Just learning that he's died. That's fucked up.

Gunnar Hansen died too.
>>
>>87032107
Gunnar Hansen died like last year or the year before, I picked up his book about Chainsaw before he died. It's called Chainsaw Confidential and it's really good. I also have the Texas Chain Saw Massacre Companion book
>>
I need to finally man up and watch TCM. The movie bits I see scare me too much because it all looks too real. ;____;
It's the sweat and grime that sells it.
>>
>>87032723
It became my favorite film because it (the box art on the video boxes at blockbuster etc before i even saw the film) disturbed/traumatized/scared me so much that I had to watch it to overcome my fear and nightmares I would have of leather face as a small child and I eventually grew obsessed with it

It's a beautiful film. Very artistic, gorgeous shots of the Texas landscape, psychedelic in a way and often times surrealistic, it's also a good statement on the meat industry

It has a very interesting experimental musique concrete score/soundtrack

i love the post modern satire on 80s culture and yuppies sequel/parody TCM part 2 too. It's got dennis hopper and a great goth/post-punk soundtrack. It also has maybe the best character in the series choptop and a great performance by the old man/cook character
>>
>>87031923
Rip. I watched tcm and tcm2 a few weeks ago and will probably watch them again soon.
>>
>>87031923
Unfortunately my work doesn't allow me to stay up late and enjoy horror movies as much. And I've almost getting over Romero.
Plan on showing Hooper respect next month.
Love his work but I really want to give everything a rewatch
>>
>>87032181
And Marilyn Burns was recently too. So far there's been 6 losses after the release of that classic.
>>
>>87033001
>Very artistic
I don't disagree, but I find that an interesting statement because I felt that Hooper's documentary background gave everything a very realistic feel to it.
>>
>>87032723
>>87033001

Watching TCM, it still holds up because unlike the waves of slashers it partly inspired, it takes the concept of fear seriously and doesn't try to be entertaining, just intense and disturbing.

A lot of them followed the "Halloween" model and basically took the concept of a killer who is vaguely supernatural and mysterious in some way stalking his victims. TCM is a very different model. Right off the bat, the Hitchhiker character is terrifying in a real life way, not a "movie monster" way. The teens let this grubby outsider into their space, and he rapidly escalates the situation to violence and reveals himself to be dangerous and unstable. It's the closest a movie has come to emulating the kind of real life frightening situations I've experienced. I consider that scene the highlight because it becomes much more of a "horror movie" later on, but still throughout there's this sense of dread that human monsters like these could be hiding all over the world and you wouldn't have a clue you'd wandered into their territory until it's too late.
>>
>>87034226
The first big feature he did before chainsaw was a psychedelic film called eggshells that was definitely not "realistic". I'm aware he started off doing documentaries though
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.