[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tobe Hooper, "Texas Chainsaw" Director, Dead (1943-2017)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: tobehooper.jpg (53KB, 780x519px) Image search: [Google]
tobehooper.jpg
53KB, 780x519px
http://variety.com/2017/film/news/tobe-hooper-dead-dies-texas-chain-saw-massacre-poltergeist-director-dies-1202539868/

Is there a reason mods never stickied a tribute one of the premiere horror directors of the 70s and 80s?

F for Tobe Hooper. Most of his films were fun, interesting, and often scary. I'll have to rewatch Salem's Lot.

Worthwhile Hooper films (among others):

Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Salem's Lot
Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
Lifeforce
Poltergeist
>>
File: tcm_dance.gif (598KB, 393x200px) Image search: [Google]
tcm_dance.gif
598KB, 393x200px
Bubba Bump
>>
do you pronounce it toby?
>>
Because most of this place is populated by underage pleb faggots who only care about shitposting and talking about GoT. Most of them haven't even seen the original Texas Chainsaw, let alone any of jos other work.

It's sad news though, his work was very ambitious and he thought outside the box in his approach to horror. Just look at TCM 2 in how different it is, almost a self satire full of black comedy and crazy off the wall personality, then compare it to all the sequels which were just shitty rehashes with inferior filmmakers.

Unfortunately the horror genre tends to be very stale and I worry that there isn't enough support given to emerging filmmakers now to make something truly different that can inspire the next generation.
>>
>>86971924
Hooper also came out of the generation of 70s filmmakers that were given carte-blanche to do what they wanted as long as they were within budget. That ethos led to a lot of experimentation and styles to develop.

I think Hooper as a director, at the very least, was very inventive and did not like to repeat himself. It lent variety to his work, even if it fell into the horror genre.

What is sad about horror is that as a genre it usually allows you more freedom because as long as you hit the "scares" benchmark, that's about the most important thing. However, most filmmakers (then and now) are content with playing copycat - much like the later TCM movies would be.
>oh, we gotta have a dinner scene with the family!
>oh, and that dance, too!
>>
>>86971517
I've also been wondering this
>>
Got general got stickied, but not fucking tobe hoopers death. This board is too full of braindead normies who only watch whats currently popular.
>>
>>86972987

You're spot on mate, agree on everything. It's a shame we haven't had another period lime the late 60's to mid 70's where new filmmakers could experiment on a lower budget (especially with the drive in culture of Roger Corman movies and so on). We really need big changes or the Hollywood industry will be dead, which I am starting to think will be a good thing.

Even though Tobe was shoe horned into horror films, he at least found a way to experiment within that genre which is what sets apart the good work from the bad. Too many directors are content with making more of the same instead of changing their creative DNA.
>>
>>86973381
/film/ fucking when
>>
File: 1495423414224.gif (992KB, 245x310px) Image search: [Google]
1495423414224.gif
992KB, 245x310px
God dammit! Craven, Romero and now fucking Hooper! Fuck this world! Horror is dead.
>>
>>86973807
Romero and Hooper in the same summer. It's been a rough year for horror. Thank goodness we have more... uh, Insidious/Conjuring/Annabelle movies to look forward to?

>>86973498
If such a change happens, I have to imagine it will be digital, but it's hard to see any type of decent money raised for digital releases, let alone exposure (lost in the endless catalog of free shit on Netflix, Xfinity, etc.). Theaters have to do something since they keep on losing money and closing sites.
>>
>>86969537
RIP
>>
>>86973807
If Carpenter passes, we riot
>>
>>86969537
RIP
>>
RIP, watched the funhouse and lifeforce in tribute, i made the first thread because i saw no mention of him on here and was surprised.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.