[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What was the deal with the monolith?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7

File: 2001 A Space Odyssey Shrine.jpg (56KB, 1280x854px) Image search: [Google]
2001 A Space Odyssey Shrine.jpg
56KB, 1280x854px
What was the deal with the monolith?
>>
It was the alien's way to make humanity evolve as a species
>>
>>86948269
It was a theater screen. Also, exposure to it made HAL sapient
>>
>>86948269
it was a symbol for the powerful BBC
>>
>"EEEEEEEEEEEEEAAEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAEEEEEEEEEAEEEYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"
what did it mean by this?
>>
It's a metaphor about the disruptive and enlightening power of art, particularly movies (the monolith is the screen - that's why the movie begins and ends with a blank, black screen, the shape of the monolith).
>>
>>86948269
always thought that thumb is from blade runner
>>
>>86948354
When did Hal contact the plank?
>>
>>86948418
...but the movie screen is horizontal...
>>
>>86948602
Turn your head sideways. Just like you do when you're first born and when you die of old age.

So too you see the monolith on screen in the beginning and the end.
>>
>>86948269
It represents Prometheus giving the gift of fire to man.
>>
Semites have always been heavy into cubes and cuboids for some reason. Noah's ark, the ark of the covenant, and allah's cube, or kaaba allah as the arabs call it, all come to mind.
>>
>>86948602
But smartphone is vertical. Monolith is smartphone. You have to touch it to make it work.
>>
>>86948418
These "metaphor" cucks never give up
>What le kubrick meant by this?
Sure the guy was big on symbols but the movies sometimes also mean exactly what they seem
I'm so sick of these faggots thinking they are viewing an abstract picasso picture on a fucking turd picture
Google it up, the monolith had something to do with the books and an alien race using it to push evolution.
Oh and yes, Eyes Wide Shut WAS about secret societies too.
>>
File: cool.webm (241KB, 512x288px) Image search: [Google]
cool.webm
241KB, 512x288px
Brainlet general?
>>
the blackness represents a dmt breakthrough (stoned ape theory)
>>
>>86948968
Ok

What did Clark mean by this then
>>
>>86948269
Is it made of oily black stone?
>>
>>86948269
Advanced alien technology.
>>
File: ayahuasca-3[1].jpg (31KB, 360x203px) Image search: [Google]
ayahuasca-3[1].jpg
31KB, 360x203px
>>86949037
>blackness
>dmt breakthrough
Pic related, actual psychedelic breakthrough.
>>
>>86949144
you don't get it
the blackness is the shutting off of the normal senses and except for the star gate sequence where we see the visuals dave hallucinates it's all in the minds of the characters off screen
>>
This thread is currently very stupid. Is it going to get better, or worse?
>>
File: stargate horizontal.jpg (22KB, 573x268px) Image search: [Google]
stargate horizontal.jpg
22KB, 573x268px
>>86948602
Not always though. In fact, the movie gives you a visual cue when it changes perspectives when we look inside the monolith. Note that a few seconds before this shot, the lines were vertically-oriented. Much like the apes (and man), the monolith changes our perspective.

>>86948968
Kubrick's movie is radically different from the books in many key points. It's safe to say they have different meanings - you don't get the picture (ha) by reading the book, and vice versa.

Kubrick's movies are smart enough to have both overt plots and events ("meaning exactly what they mean") and subtexts and interesting observations. In 2001's case, one of those is the transformative power of art. Another is the use of technology that potentially enslaves and endangers man.
>>
>>86948354
No it didn't you dumbfuck
>>
>>86949304
for clarity, I am addressing the point that the monolith can't be a "screen" because it is vertical and not horizontal.
>>
>>86948269
It represents us, the viewer
>>
>>86949228
I don't think Kubrick just wanted to reference a drugged psychedelic state. IMO it was a broader exploration of enlightenment and transcendence.
>>
>>86949429
same thing my nibba
>>
File: IMG_8834.jpg (78KB, 628x472px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8834.jpg
78KB, 628x472px
>>86948909
>>
>>86949448
Fucking heathens
>>
File: glow in the dark poster.jpg (119KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
glow in the dark poster.jpg
119KB, 640x360px
>>86949448
this shit is so reddit but i want it
>>
File: IMG_8835.jpg (50KB, 187x283px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8835.jpg
50KB, 187x283px
Because black is cool. Can you imagine how disappointing a white monolith would be?

It has to look like it's made by some alien tech and look mysterious by not having any dents or marks on it
>>
>>86949328
Yes, it was. Also, I achieved perfect SAT scores. What were yours?
>>
>>86949835
If it's black it's less obvious what material it is made of. If it's white it looks like marble.
>>
>>86950376
>>86949835

The book version had the monolith be clear, and it gave out little homework assignments to the ape-men to help them along. It's a good thing that Kubrick was a little bit more subtle and ambiguous than Clarke. A good point to back this up is the "sequel" 2010, made in the 80s with Roy Scheider as the star. It's a well-made but otherwise forgettable film. Much like the books, it overexplains everything so we have no illusions about what the "monolith" and its purpose are. Also, HAL and David are ghosts for some reason.

Yeah, treat the original movie as its own separate entity independent of the books or 2010.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.