[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dystopia

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 5

File: Elysium-wallpapers-13[1].jpg (209KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
Elysium-wallpapers-13[1].jpg
209KB, 1600x900px
How he fuck is Elysium even real

How could such a setting even exist?

Also I'm pretty fucking sure I saw a Chappie robot used as police guards in one scene. How did they get away with this plagiarism?
>>
only witebois h8 this kino
>>
>>86941343
It's not real tho
and it's made by the same guy who made Chappie/District 9
>>
>>86941343
Elysium came out before Chappie
>>
>>86941343

It isn't very realistic. They have solid AI, bots, VTOL craft the size of a minivan that can achieve orbit, presumably fusion power, and magic healing machines. With that tech you can build a practically post scarcity society, and with a decent standard of living the population stops exploding because people have things to do other than fuck.

I've heard a theory that dystopia is almost as improbable as utopia because just as people are just too dumb to achieve the latter they're too smart to let the former happen. I think that's a good rule of thumb for fiction, and if you want to do dystopia in fiction you'd better have the reasons it happened at least be well thought out.
>>
File: Elysium_Screenshot_0314[1].jpg (152KB, 1920x800px) Image search: [Google]
Elysium_Screenshot_0314[1].jpg
152KB, 1920x800px
What was his problem? He treated his employees like shit, why would anyone keep working for him?
>>
>>86941665
same reason any real world white collar employer would treat his workforce like shit.
he resents them for being stupid and lazy, or he's a power-tripping asshole
>>
>>86941578
how would you control over population and food shortage, though? Robots can only help so much, the one that owns them would have a monopoly, much like Microsoft but in a physical place
>>
>>86941940
>control
why control it? people aren't my play-things, and i don't want to dictate every facet of people's lives.
if someone is too stupid to have kids when they can't feed them.
well, that's unfortunate but the problem will solve itself.
>>
>>86942002
but muh human rights

Your world sounds a lot like the one in the movie
>>
>>86941940

Overpopulation literally controls itself with a decent standard of living because people put off having kids longer, instead of having their fourth kid at 28 they're having their first. Food needs energy and labor to produce, with fusion to power greenhouses and bots to tend them for pennies an hour there's no limit. Materials can be mined from asteroids with ships and bots, education can be done by AIs, dwellings can be 3D printed. It's all there, there's no reason things should suck so much.
>>
>>86942002
Yes it'll solve itself by decapitating you and redistributing the wealth to feed muh chilruns (very noble goal btw)
>>
>>86942101
I don't understand how you came to this conclusion

>>86942193
this ain't South Africa, bud. white people can own guns here
>>
>science fiction
>realistic

pick one you fags
>>
>>86942279
we called Back to the future science fiction

its reality now
>>
tfw no hover boards or self tying shoes
>>
>>86941490
>>86941408
>Chappie is a prequel to Elysium
[Ctation needed]
>>
>>86942393
no one said that, mong.
>>
>>86941578
Shouldn't the healing pod grant immortality? We die because how cells can't continue dividing. The healing pod restore the cells on the body to its origin, healing every disease on the body. So does everyone in Elysium lives forever?
>>
>>86942458

Oh yeah I think they do mention that. Well in that case we would have to rethink population, maybe restrict reproduction. Now I don't believe things would even get as bad as in the movie since they'd implement these things before then, but no matter how bad things are they could always try to move in the right direction. That means building the housing and the services to get people up to a certain quality of life, implement growth control in proportion to expanding medical care, and build the industries that support these things. If Earth is just too overcrowded with traditional settlement patterns build habitats in deserts and the arctic, if that's still not enough build more habitats in space or the moon. It's all doable, and it's worth it because in the end more educated, civically minded people is a good thing. It means more potential for talent, more ideas, more everything.
>>
File: _89800103_033134021-1.jpg (48KB, 624x415px) Image search: [Google]
_89800103_033134021-1.jpg
48KB, 624x415px
>>86941343
How is it possible that the society allows poor people to take a dangerous trip to search for a better life and many dies in the process.
This is really nothing you see in our world
>>
>>86943189
i abhor this fucking "argument"
if i killed you and took all your things, I would have a better (richer) life
do you think that's a good enough reason for me to do it?
>>
File: viggo-road.jpg (28KB, 468x317px) Image search: [Google]
viggo-road.jpg
28KB, 468x317px
>>86941578
like the road?
>>
>>86943533

I haven't seen it but my impression is that it's some sort of unavoidable apocalypse right? Everyone's going to die, no hope, yeah that's a pretty good way of explaining why things are horrible. Children of Men was good for that too.
>>
>>86943271
If you believe it is, yes, that is a good enough reason to attempt it. Then if you're successful, then it was a good reason to do it.
>>
>>86941578
The idea is all that shit was expensive as fuck so only a very small portion of humanity could enjoy it.

Kinda like how chinese children are kicked about $5 a year to assemble iphones.
>>
>>86944088
this mindset is only profitable if only a tiny minority of people partake in it.
a society cannot survive with a population willing to kill or exploit each other over luxuries
the latter is exactly what the migrants are doing to Yurop
>>
>>86944262
You're missing the point.

If you believe you are right, then you are right. If your actions prove you are right, then you were right.

Also you're advocating the maintenance of a system where only a very tiny minority of people (read: not you) benefit from the system. As most fortunes were made by smash and grab tactics.
>>
>>86944359
>only a tiny minority of people benefit from having electrical power, data transmission, health services, transportation, and a menagerie of other luxuries/necessities
>>
>>86941343
they wanted to do a HALO movie but it got canned and they reused all the stuff and made elysium
>>
>>86941343
>earth is polluted and massively overpopulated
>"ayy guys you know that overpopulated planet?"
>"yeah?"
>"dude what if we like, made them all eligible for free treatment that cures all ailments so their population doesn't even lose any members to illness?"
>"great idea bro lets fucking do it."
>>
>>86944583
And in exchange you'll spend more than half your waking life working for the benefit of others.
>>
>>86941578
>With that tech you can build a practically post scarcity society

you can, but why give it for free or "near-free" when you could take every dollar and cent from every class lower than you by charging for the use of that tech for weekly/monthly/per-use installments all the while using your lobby to strong-arm the government into creating laws that would drive competition out all the while entrenching yourself further and further as the only game in town?
>>
>>86944812
>communist
eat shit, swine.
>>
>>86944880
I'm saying systems that demand subservience and labor and offer only just enough to keep you working and subservient are bad. Every "communist" entity has been a system that demands subservience and labor and offers only just enough to keep you working and subservient.
>>
>>86944869
What value does money have post-scarcity? As the value of money is determined entirely by scarcity.
>>
>>86944988
>offer only just enough to keep you working
i'm sorry you lack valuable skills.
alternatively, have you tried negotiating your wages or working for yourself?

>systems that demand subservience and labor
you're a slave to your own stomach.
people aren't going to feed and house you for free. why on earth would they? you need to provide something to them in return for the services they provide you. money does the trick in the west. just get a job to pay your debts.
>>
>>86944801
statistics show that access to health care help reduce birth rate
>>
>>86942279
Ever wondered why science is in there though?
>>
>>86941343

>how the fuck is beijing real
>how the fuck is mexico city real
>how the fuck is mumbai real
>how is NYC real
>>
>>86941343
ELYSIUM WAS FUCKING SICK IN IMAX

WHEN THEY LOCK DOWN THE AIRSPACE OVER LA AND ONLY WIKUS CAN FLY BLOMKAMP DOES A HIGH OVERHEAD SHOT OF HIS GANGSTER SHIP DOMINATING THE CITY THAT WAS AMAZING IN LARGE FORMAT

SHAME IT WAS ONLY 2D
>>
>>86947009
Well, how is it real? What went wrong with humanity that lead those happen?
>>
>>86941578
>standard of living the population stops exploding
this only happens in caucasian societies, does not happen with asians and especially africans, you can easily google and find scientific articles about this, use google scholar
>>
>>86941578
>I've heard a theory that dystopia is almost as improbable as utopia because just as people are just too dumb to achieve the latter they're too smart to let the former happen.
Plenty of periods of history could be described as dystopian. 17th century England (Civil war followed by black death followed by fire of London), the Terror in France, 1920-1953 Russia, cultural revolution in China, South Africa today, Europe and USA in 20 years.
>>
>>86941343
step 1: automation renders 60+% of the workforce redundant
step 2: climate refugees overwhelm western nations

we're about 60 years from it, hopefully, but it's coming
>>
>>86947055
Rural and suburban retards have 9 children, then wonder why their t-shirt factory job doesn't pay for miracle medical machines that entirely rebuild bodies.
>>
File: 1255148419572.jpg (1MB, 1469x2804px) Image search: [Google]
1255148419572.jpg
1MB, 1469x2804px
>>86941578
human nature and hierarchy fucks up both of those, in a sense.

there's never going to be a time in history when lower classes get something for free, like those robots healing people. the universe doesn't work like that.
>>
Massive plot hole.
>World is a slum because of overpopulation
>Allow everyone to have access to a machine that cures disease and prolongs life

what the actual fuck
>>
>>86947128
>17th century England (Civil war followed by black death followed by fire of London),
Those people were living the dream. No country was at war with each other, there was plenty of work to do, and plenty of women to impregnate after all men died in the black plague
>>
>>86947322
what the memeloving fuck is going on in that image?
>>
>>86947388
>Allow everyone to have access to a machine that cures disease and prolongs life
They don't, though. That's the point of the movie.

But then that Mexican commie made everyone a citizen of Elysium so everyone got cured and lived eternally forever. End of film.
>>
>>86942359

Nike's just released self-tying shoes this year... no joke, look it up.
>>
>>86947429
This is actually true, the economy was booming and if shit still sucked you could try your hand at the New World or working for the East India Company.
>>
>>86947697
>try your hand at the New World
You have to appreciate a frame of reference. Might as well be on the moon for most people.
>>
>>86947513
h. sapiens, anon
>>
>>86944088
Weak cunt.

People like you deserve to be extinct. Good thing it's slowly happening already, through the hands of the same people you want to succeed.

I bet you're happy even.
>>
>>86947986
>people who see no problem with taking what they want are weak

>me, who slaves away for comfort in complacency, I am strong!

>>
>>86948180
I bet that if it was an executive exploiting the 'weak' and 'opressed' you wouldn't take the same approach.

You're defending literal savages, uncivilized people. I'd love to see them rape your family someday.
>>
>>86948427
I've spoken against all forms of exploitation in this very thread.

You either take what you feel you deserve or get nothing. I take it you're happy with nothing.
>>
>>86941578
>the latter they're too smart to let the former happen

Except for the countless examples throughout history of totalitarian regimes

what an idiotic "theory"
>>
>>86948581
You somehow found a way to justify crimes committed against you, i see no point in discussing any further.

Please be aware that you're a putrid human being, no matter the moral guidelines you adhere to.

Next up when you tune in to your local news, imagine yourself as the victim of a robbery and get positive feelings out of it, i'm sure that your kind loves it.
>>
>>86948929
No one ever feels they're in the wrong.
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.