[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some films featuring Dyson spheres?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 13

File: 606px-Combine_main_symbol.svg.png (32KB, 606x600px) Image search: [Google]
606px-Combine_main_symbol.svg.png
32KB, 606x600px
What are some films featuring Dyson spheres?
>>
>>86912884
Half-Life's story was never good. 1 had good gameplay and 2/ep1/ep2 showed off impressive technology for the time, but the story has always been the worst aspect. I'm sad that Episode 3 won't see the light of day, but not because of some "conclusion to the story".
>>
>>86912884
Fairly certain it was mentioned in some Star Trek episode, but other than that I dunno
>>
The Half Life movie JJ Abrams is working on
>>
>>86912990
They had something great with Xen in the first but then they just threw it all away
>>
>>86912884
Killing Dreams by Gabe Jewell
>>
>>86913110
There was a TNG episode, Relics, that had one.
Scotty was in it too.
Overall pretty good
>>
>>86912990
the story is heady and pretty great though, what are your problems with it?
>>
Not a film but the episode Relics from Star Trek TNG
>>
>>86912884
None.
You're gonna want /lit/ for this
>>
>>86912884
Shut the fuck up about dyson spheres you fucking valve autismdrone
>>
Why are /v/edditors the absolute worst posters?
>>
File: C45bnitUkAcYyuo.jpg (35KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
C45bnitUkAcYyuo.jpg
35KB, 480x360px
>>86913651
Ah yes, the final nail the franchise needed, a movie adaption.
>>
>>86913806
but only Valvedrones are shitting on Laidlaw, don't get mad your Sino-Hebrew films aren't making money anymore
>>
>>86912884
Blame! is kinda dyson spherish
>>
Why is everyone hating on the Dyson sphere thing?
The point was that there was nothing that Gordon could do to the Combine.
>>
>>86913934
well only because they're done with Half-Life. Gordon would eventually win if the series was continued.
>>
>>86914017
Would it?
The people writing Half-life before were big on the downer ending
Like Half-life 2 had Gordon not really do anything
>>
>He is among signatories of a letter to the UN criticizing the IPCC[54][55] and has also argued against ostracizing scientists whose views depart from the acknowledged mainstream of scientific opinion on climate change, stating that "heretics" have historically been an important force in driving scientific progress. "[H]eretics who question the dogmas are needed ... I am proud to be a heretic. The world always needs heretics to challenge the prevailing orthodoxies."

What did FREEMAN Dyson mean by this?
>>
>>86914080
There was a Seven Hour War where humanity lost without even a fight, the end of HL2 is pretty optimistic compared to the situation of the world for the 20 or so hours it took to complete the game.
>>
>>86914089
He's right. Science needs "heretics" even when they're wrong. Especially when they're wrong
>>
>>86912884
star trek
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECLvFLkvY7Y
>>
>>86914146
The end of HL2 had Gordon suicide bomb the portal that the combine was coming it.
But that was never going to be forever.

Also,can someone remind me what Eli paid G-man to get Gordon?
>>
Combine aesthetic is really great.
>>
>>86914152
he also agrees global warming is horseshit (he's right)
>>
>>86914200
>what Eli paid G-man to get Gordon?

this never happened
>>
>>86914269
That's retarded imo, since it's a proven fact that CO2 is a greenhouse gas.
CO2 concentration has been increasing.

Who can deny that? I mean, fuck, why is it political to acknowledge facts that were known for over 100 years?
CO2 traps heat
Industry makes more CO2.
QED
Industry makes the world warmer
>>
>>86914336
Didn't it?
It's been a long time since I played HL2 and its episodes, but wasn't it strongly implied that Eli was aware of the G-man and that he did something to get Gordon?
I remember there being vague lines where Eli dodges questions about it.
>>
File: oz.jpg (44KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
oz.jpg
44KB, 640x360px
HL3 should be like an hour playing a regular game, then you get some helmet device in the game and IRL you put on your VR headset and it switches from Dystopic 1984 to you kicking ass on the Combine.
>>
>>86914374
or maybe it's just the sun
>>
>>86914452
It doesn't matter if it is.
CO2 traps heat.
That's a fucking fact. Like I said, one known for more than a century.

The sun would actually need to be dimming slightly in order to account for our rising temperatures because we're retaining more and more of its energies.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not some bleeding heart liberal that says "Go vegan and ride your bicycle, OR EVERYONE WILL DIE TOMORROW"
That's retarded
A warmer Earth will not kill us all.
But it is happening. And it's going to result in an immigration crisis that will make the current one look like mild bother
>>
>>86914547
interesting, so CO2 definitely makes the world warmer but it could be making the ice age not so icy in a different universe.
>>
File: 1503705984491.jpg (90KB, 968x646px) Image search: [Google]
1503705984491.jpg
90KB, 968x646px
>>
>>86914796
>so CO2 definitely makes the world warmer but it could be making the ice age not so icy in a different universe.
Yes?
That's how "warmer" works, right?
We're thousands of years from the next ice age.
We're at the peak or nearly after/before the peak of temperature before we slip down into another ice age
But the thing is that before whatever cycle behind the ice ages kicks in again, we're going to have to deal with risen sea levels
Guess who lives in low places?
Fucking poor people.
>>
>>86914891
we're all gonna be fine
>>
>>86914891
Rich people and all the important centres of trade are on the coast. I pray that Yellowstone explodes around the time all the former east and west coast is under water so amerishits have all their shitty civilization collapse overnight. I also hope retarded politicians like Trump develop no contingencies for it.
>>
>>86914891
>We're thousands of years from the next ice age
we're currently in the middle of an Ice Age, you retarded faggot
>>
>>86915072
We're almost at/ are at/ past the inter-glacial peak, mate
>>
>>86914968
We meaning humans yes

But the problem is when the ice melts in Greenland/Antarctica, the ocean will go up.
And that will flood pretty much all of Bangladesh, and African cities like Lagos

There will be billions of refugees
And they're all going to go to America/Europe

If the ice starts to melt any faster, then the future is going to look like a place where we're nuking refugee convoys
>>
>>86912884
Didn't Oblivion feature one?
Pretty kino for a summer flick.
>>
>>86915232
A Dyson sphere is 23 000 times bigger than the Earth
>>
>>86915159
I'd be more worried about when crops fail en masse in all of the earth's traditional bread baskets. I expect America to be the first developed nation to turn to cannibalism.
>>
>>86915325
They won't collapse entirely, they'll shift north
>>
Blame!
>>
File: 1427996733121.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1427996733121.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>86915097
>a glacial period is an Ice Age
>>
>>86915294
Yeah I know what it is.
I'm pretty sure they show a Dyson Sphere around the Sun at some point.

Plus those things siphoning water from the oceans which look pretty Dyson-y
>>
>>86915455
Go back to whatever huehue board you're really from since you're obviously incapable of reading english
>>
>>86915159
>And they're all going to go to America/Europe
NO FUCK OFF WE'RE FULL
>>
>>86912884
kys hl3 fag
>>
>>86915522
Better start building those walls then
>>
>>86915566
I'll just stockpile ammo and shoot them. Fucking asians, arabs and africans breed like rats.
>>
>>86915632
You're gonna need more than that.
Only a national effort will stop what's coming.

Be glad that we're going through Immigrant Crisis 1.0 now
Because people are already getting tired.

Once 10 million people are displaced when Lagos floods, people will already be done and tired.
Navy in the Mediterranean. Armed walls in the Balkans
Give it 100 years
>>
File: 1315949095120.jpg (26KB, 548x459px) Image search: [Google]
1315949095120.jpg
26KB, 548x459px
>>86915515
interglacials are PERIODS in an ice age, your own posts prove me right

cry moar bitch nigger
>>
>>86915459
Stop being silly.
>>
>>86914547
The effect of CO2 is logarithmic, which means it's essentially already topped out. The narrative behind "dangerous" global warming depends on unproven positive feedback mechanisms.
>>
>>86915779
>Glacial period, interglacial period, glacial period
>"Interglacial periods are glacial periods"
What the fuck are you even saying?
>>
File: proof.jpg (34KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
proof.jpg
34KB, 600x450px
>>86915800
>The effect of CO2 is logarithmic
>>
>>86915737
I just want those shitters to stay in their shitholes.
>>
>>86915737
You Americans are so fucking dumb and full of yourselves. Newsflash all your bread baskets are shifting to Canada. You are stupid to think countries that are going to be affected who have nukes like China, Pakistan and India are just going to sit by while this happens you are beyond stupid.
>>
>>86914374
Yet not a single model has ever been correct.
And the historical record points out that CO2 and average temperature aren't really related.
And CO2 is thousands of times less common than water vapor in the atmosphere, even in the current world with a "dangerously high" CO2 level
>>
>>86916031
>And the historical record points out that CO2 and average temperature aren't really related.
That's flat out incorrect.

CO2 and average temperature are strongly correlated.
I mean you don't even need grand historical records for that
A box wit higher CO2 levels retains more heat than a box with lower levels

Straight up atmospheric composition doesn't mean much either. Methane is far far more effective than CO2 when it comes to trapping heating despite being far less common.

Look I get why you want to resist the idea of climate change. You associate climate change with liberal hippies and LGTBBQ activists and people who yell at you for being WRONG
I get it.
I don't like much either.

But the facts were proven, like I keep having to say, decades ago. Far before the liberal cancer we deal with today. Back then, liberalism was acknowledging that women were people.

CO2 keeps heat in.
We're making more CO2 than before
QED
The world is going to get warmer.
>>
File: 1340070490104.jpg (199KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1340070490104.jpg
199KB, 1000x1000px
>>86915830
holy shitsnacks you're a retard

Interglacial & glacial periods are different periods IN an ice age, you retarded fucking faggot
>>
File: really.jpg (18KB, 460x300px) Image search: [Google]
really.jpg
18KB, 460x300px
>>86916189
>Interglacial & glacial periods are different periods IN an ice age
Try that dictionary again, boy
>>
>>86915830
He is right, actually.

We are almost at the end of the Interglacial period, we should be starting a Glacial period. Only, instead of cooling as it should be doing, the Earth is rapidly warming.

Anyway
Glacial Period =/= "Ice age"

Glacial period is the sustained cooling of the Earth.
Interglacial period is the sustained warming in between Glacial periods.

Ice Age is defined as any moment where the Earth has presence of permanent ice at the caps (Arctic and Antarctic). Both the interglacial and the glacial periods are part of the broader "Ice Age" which we have been in since the KT extinction event.
>>
>>86916222
>Both the interglacial and the glacial periods are part of the broader "Ice Age" which we have been in since the KT extinction event.
If your category is so broad as it accounts for 65 million years, it isn't worth very much.

When people say "ice age" they mean the cyclical patterns of extreme glaciation, as indicated in your graph

By the way, didn't that other guy say that CO2 has nothing do with temperature?
Then your graph must be wrong, right?
>>
>>86916222
Can you give me the source on your image? Even though I trust NASA and most of the researchers about climate change, its nice to have solid arguments like this against it.
>>
>>86916506
>Even though I trust NASA and most of the researchers about climate change, its nice to have solid arguments like this against it.
Isn't this an argument FOR them?
>>
File: 1503147972236.jpg (25KB, 512x640px) Image search: [Google]
1503147972236.jpg
25KB, 512x640px
>>86916272
>If your category is so broad as it accounts for 65 million years, it isn't worth very much.
It's nothing in the lifespan of a planet.

>When people say "ice age" they mean the cyclical patterns of extreme glaciation
No they don't. Look up the definition.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_age
An ice age is a period of long-term reduction in the temperature of Earth's surface and atmosphere, resulting in the presence or expansion of continental and polar ice sheets and alpine glaciers. Within a long-term ice age, individual pulses of cold climate are termed "glacial periods" (or alternatively "glacials" or "glaciations" or colloquially as "ice age"), and intermittent warm periods are called "interglacials". In the terminology of glaciology, ice age implies the presence of extensive ice sheets in both northern and southern hemispheres. By this definition, we are in an interglacial period—the Holocene—of the ice age. The ice age began 2.6 million years ago at the start of the Pleistocene epoch, because the Greenland, Arctic, and Antarctic ice sheets still exist.

>as indicated in your graph
My graph shows Glacial and Interglacial periods, not "Ice Age".

>By the way, didn't that other guy say that CO2 has nothing do with temperature?
>Then your graph must be wrong, right?
No he was wrong in that regard, don't poison the water by mixing two different arguments asshat.

>>86916506
Sure.

icecore_records-sympatico.ca
>>
>>86916542
CO2 levels clearly follow the temperature, which would indicate that anthropogenic global warming is not true, at least not through CO2.
It would mean that rising temperatures somehow are the cause of rising CO2 levels, meaning that we could (theoretically) release as much CO2 as we want and not have any effect on the temperature.

However thats not what I believe to be true, and the last part can not be extrapolated from the graph accurately at all, since the recent spike in CO2 (no doubt caused by us) is orders of magnitude more severe than anything natural so far, so there is little way to tell for sure what effect it might have on global temperatures.

>>86916677
Uuuhh... Is that supposed to be a link? Dont think its a complete one if it is.
>>
>>86916677
>An ice age is a period of long-term reduction in the temperature of Earth's surface and atmosphere, resulting in the presence or expansion of continental and polar ice sheets and alpine glaciers. Within a long-term ice age, individual pulses of cold climate are termed "glacial periods" (or alternatively "glacials" or "glaciations" or colloquially as "ice age"), and intermittent warm periods are called "interglacials".
Isn't that what I said originally?
I never said Ice Age
>>
>>86916756
>CO2 levels clearly follow the temperature
I wouldn't say "clearly"
They lag behind and sometimes predict.

What's obvious is that atmospheric temperature and composition are clearly correlated
>>
>>86916506
why?
>>
>>86916826
Looks to me like its following much more often than leading. I agree that they definitely are correlated, but thats why Id like the source, so I can see who came up with the data and how they analyze it.
>>
>>86912990

Being an action shooter it's light on plot, but the worldbuilding is fantastic, the setting is some of the best sci fi out there.
>>
>>86917303
Half-Life 2's opening scene is fucking dynamite
>>
>building a structure around a star

dyson spheres will never not be fucking retarded, you could not build anything close enough to a star to make enclosing it even remotely feasible

fusion reactors would essentially be the same thing anyway on a smaller scale
>>
>>86913651
full
life
consequences
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.