[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it true there's better fantasy stories than GoT? For example?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 316
Thread images: 40

File: file.png (1MB, 549x903px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
1MB, 549x903px
Is it true there's better fantasy stories than GoT?

For example?
>>
Soridor's Tower
>>
>>86884928
Fantasy is a pleb-tier genre, that being said- Wheel of Time
>>
inb4 tolkienfags try to shill their favourite childish banalities
>>
>>86884928
wizards rule series or whatever it was called
>>
File: tbotns.jpg (8KB, 184x274px) Image search: [Google]
tbotns.jpg
8KB, 184x274px
>>
>>86884928
Stop reposting this same thread, faggot
>>
>>86884928
The Bible
>>
File: Cugel873014._SX540_SY540_.jpg (52KB, 414x540px) Image search: [Google]
Cugel873014._SX540_SY540_.jpg
52KB, 414x540px
>>86884928
Moorcock's Eternal Champion books

Jack Vance's Dying Earth / Cugel books

Fritz Leiber's Fahfrd and the Grey Mouser
>>
File: 20170826_082005.jpg (409KB, 600x892px) Image search: [Google]
20170826_082005.jpg
409KB, 600x892px
>>86884928
Those are some lame ass covers.

https://www.google.se/amp/amp.dailydot.com/parsec/asoiaf-japanese-covers-manga-style/

Japs did it better
>>
>>86884951
Carai an Caldazar my brotha
>>
>>86884951
braid tugging and filler books aside, is/was this series actually good before it became a benchwarmer to Game of Normies?

also
>>>/lit/
>>
>>86885038
>ADWD cover
>bran has brown hair
dumb nip showfags
>>
>>86884983
if you are the guy i was arguing about this and you told me i didnt get gene wolfe, i must admit i was wrong, on seeing the name book of the new sun, i confused it with the the books of virga which is about making new suns. my bad
>>
>>86885098
Bran does have brown hair.
>>
>>86885038
It looks like absolute shit.
>>
>>86885038
why does tyrion look like some fantasy mmo imp?

he's adorable
>>
>>86885193
no he doesn't
>>
>>86885211
He's pretty much described like that in the books except the round head. The covers are actually very faithful to book descriptions except Snow that falsely gets raven black hair when it's Stark brown.
>>
>>86885101
Not him, but I accept your apology.
>>
File: stormlight archive.jpg (51KB, 680x310px) Image search: [Google]
stormlight archive.jpg
51KB, 680x310px
>>86884928
Stormlight Archive is dope as hell. It is probably the best fantasy epic I have ever read, not to discredit the others of course I enjoy those too.
>>
>>86885700
i like how the god of that universe is dead,
but kind of left a messaging service for that one knight guy
>>
>>86885700
>ten book series
>each a thousand pages
Sanderson is crazy.
>>
File: Shardplate_by_quargon.jpg (77KB, 900x636px) Image search: [Google]
Shardplate_by_quargon.jpg
77KB, 900x636px
>>86885824
Dalinar is my guy
>>86885962
It's sold in two books I think, each being like a thousand pages. A third one is on the way.

A movie is being written for it apparently, not a show. What a stupid world we live in, where producers think they can cram thousands of pages of story and world building into like 2 hours.
>Please don't suck
>>
>>86885038
Eh, the one you posted is easily the best one.
>>
>>86885700
Are the characters in these books interesting or are they just standard light-dark templates?
>>
>>86885700
The way of kings yes.
Book of radiance less so.

The problem with Sanderson is that he follows a generic formula for all his books - he's far too prolific in his writing to not to, consciously or otherwise. In TWoK the formula is hidden very well with great character development and world building, plus the "bad guy" wasn't revealed until the end. In WoR the characters are pretty much sure of themselves from events in book 1 so the formula is laid bare. Also Shallan backstory sucked, you didn't barely learned anything new about her and it was used as a plot device rather than to further her character
>>
GoT is the only one with a TV series so they are the only ones that matter.

Who the fuck reads lmao?
>>
>>86885700
>5,99 for paperback version
aaaand bought
>>
>>86884928

Here's one

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Farseer_Trilogy

about a royal bastard, of a family with a stag as their sigil, who lives in a keep overlooking the sea. It's part of one of six "duchies" that are fighting amongst themselves to find the rightful king. He gets trained to become an assassin who can blend in without being seen, he's able to enter into animals minds and has a large wolf as his pet. A bunch of invaders are taking people and turning them into an army of mindless zombies, so they plan on bringing back dragons, which haven't been seen for ages.
>>
>>86885101
Thank you. You would do well to read the Book of the New Sun. We had some good discussion in the Elric thread about it earlier if you're interested

http://boards.4chan.org/tv/thread/86868330#bottom

I would use the better link. But iPads are stupid
>>
The kingkiller chronicle
>>
>>86886958
sounds gay
>>
>>86886958

kek, I did what you see there.
>>
>>86887124
These are awesome. Is there any series similar to a blade runner type of setting/timeline?
>>
File: Chuck Tingle Gay trex.jpg (203KB, 938x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Chuck Tingle Gay trex.jpg
203KB, 938x1500px
Accept no substitutes.

>Chuck Tingle books published since 2014: 174

>GRRM books published since 2014: 0

Really tinglevates the almonds.
>>
>>86885193

Pretty sure that he doesn't since part of the reason why Catelynn loathes Jon Snow is the fact that he looks the most like Ned Stark, while all of her children look more like Tullys with red hair and such. It pains her that a bastard is the one who looks the most like Ned.

But whichever the case, Bran having brown hair aint that big of a deal. He has it in the show, so it's whatever.
>>
File: 1492558408955.png (983KB, 1240x472px) Image search: [Google]
1492558408955.png
983KB, 1240x472px
>>86884928
Just a friendly reminder that
>>
>>86887383
that got pic is so cringey

also dune is only pretty good
>>
fact>fiction
>>
File: tom.jpg (56KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
tom.jpg
56KB, 250x250px
>>86884928
>>
>>86887124
Is that the one GRRM called "le original ASOIAF"?
>>
>>86884998
Shit desu. The main character comes back from the dead, but never does anything after that and just stops showing up.
>>
Malazan
>>
This is /tv/ not r/books.
>>
>>86887682
ya
>>
Depends what you're looking for

Farseer Trilogy
First Law Trilogy
Discworld
Stormlight Archives

all of these 4 have different strong points but are really good
>>
>>86887778

Yeah the Malazan book of the fallen is hard to get into but genuinely one of the most rewarding experiences I've had not just with the fantasy genre, but just as a book series in their own right. If you like your books serving things up to you on a plate probs best to give it a miss though, you'll be lost for about 200 pages at least.

The traitor son cycle by miles Cameron is fantastic. Unlike GRRM he sticks to deadlines and the final book (of 5) is released October this year. Some really memorable characters, the fight scenes are awesome (cameron has military experience so his knowledge of tactics and deployment of soldiers is second to none). The magic is cool but not Harry Potter shit, it's just about using the "aethereal world" to influence the physical world.
>>
File: Design Works0006.png (3MB, 1237x1754px) Image search: [Google]
Design Works0006.png
3MB, 1237x1754px
Dark Souls
>>
My Immortal, by Enoby Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way
>>
>>86884928

Fantasy is the worst literary genre. It's worse than romance. I'll repeat that. It's worse than romance.

Having said that. GRMM with all his faults is probably the best of the genre. If you want something close; Malazan, Kingkiller, not much else really.
>>
>>86888184

>Asspull nonsense that makes zero sense made by some mentally ill gook

Hard pass.
>>
>>86888202
So you're saying instead of reading any of the books ITT I should just go grab one of the sticky waterlogged romance novels that smell like my mom's back massager from her bedroom and read that instead?
>>
Nah not really

Fantasy is a pretty bad genre, you can mention any number of not as well known fantasy series and no one will call you out on how horrible it is even in comparison to ASOIAF because they haven't read it or it's not as popular. They all seem to be laden with cliches and Gary Stus and wish fulfillment for DnD roleplayers.

I think if you are looking for something similar, maybe Prince of Nothing/Darkness that Comes Before or Malazan
>>
>>86884983
Came here to post this. It's so good.
>>
>>86885057
It had good moments but Jordan had no discipline as a writer.
>>
>>86888213
why zero sense?
>>
harry potter
>>
Wheel of Time is the daddy. And its being made into a tv series by sony
>>
>>86888251

Yeah. I'm saying grind it up and snort it.

Will give you more pleasure than reading The Sword of Truth or its ilk.
>>
>>86888202
>GRRM
>better than Tolkein
Nigga you can stop memeing
>>
>>86888862
Tolkien stole pretty much all of his ideas from GRRM.
>>
>>86887778
mah nigga.
>>
GRRM is a better writer than Tolkien ever was.
>>
>>86888883
GRRM stole them from JK Rowling
>>
File: asoiaf-jaime.jpg (169KB, 640x948px) Image search: [Google]
asoiaf-jaime.jpg
169KB, 640x948px
>>86885038
Nipponese Jaime is fucking swole
>>
>>86886958
This is legitimately excellent and has some of the best characterisation I've seen in any fiction. That said, it's slow and wouldn't work well as a TV show.
>>
>>86885038
I love the way Tyrion is portrayed
>>
>>86887682
what?
>>
>>86888897
This is bait because no one would unironically believe that.
>>
>>86888975
>no gorget
>no cod piece

enjoy losing both ur heads faggot hahahaha
>>
>>86885038
you weebs actually need to die in a fire
>>
>>86889094
Yep
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Accursed_Kings
>>
>people seriously think Martin is an example of good fantasy literature
His books are on the level of Star Wars EU garbage, what the christ are you people doing?
>>
>>86888897

"Sunset found her squatting in the grass, groaning. Every stool was looser than the one before, and smelled fouler. By the time the moon came up she was shitting brown water. The more she drank, the more she shat, but the more she shat, the thirstier she grew, and her thirst sent her crawling to the stream to suck up more water."

Vs

"Suddenly the king cried to Snowmane and the horse sprang away. Behind him his banner blew in the wind, white horse upon a field of green, but he outpaced it. After him thundered the knights of his house, but he was ever before them. Éomer rode there, the white horsetail on his helm floating in his speed, and the front of the first éored roared like a breaker foaming to the shore, but Théoden could not be overtaken.

Fey he seemed, or the battle-fury of his fathers ran like new fire in his veins, and he was borne up on Snowmane like a god of old, even as Oromë the Great in the battle of the Valar when the world was young. His golden shield was uncovered, and lo! it shone like an image of the Sun, and the grass flamed into green about the white feet of his steed.

For morning came, morning and a wind from the sea; and the darkness was removed, and the hosts of Mordor wailed, and terror took them, and they fled, and died, and the hoofs of wrath rode over them. And then all the host of Rohan burst into song, and they sang as they slew, for the joy of battle was on them, and the sound of their singing that was fair and terrible came even to the City."

Good bait
>>
>>86884928
Malazan
Black Company
Zelazny's Amber chronicles
>>
>>86889538
>cherry picking

oh wait the entirety of all of tolkien's work is like that
>>
>>86889407
Oh, no. The other anon was talking about 'The Kingkiller Chronicle'
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Kingkiller_Chronicle

I thought Martin had dissed Rothfuss or something.
>>
>>86885700
>just anime my literary tradition up
Every time you buy a Sanderson book Lord Dunsany rolls in his grave. His bones will be nothing but powder soon.

>>86887124
Every time you buy a Rothfuss book god seriously considers a second deluge.

>>86887383
Game of Thrones is just 'Book of the Long Sun' stretched out to be a billion pages longer with the edginess cranked up to 10.

>>86887778
>a literal D&D campaign
why?

>>86888202
Can't tell if this is a semi high-tier shitpost or if /tv/ is just this retarded.
>>
>>86884928
Does scifi fall under fantasy?
3 body problem is pretty good.

The Witcher is probably a more typical fantasy setting, and one I enjoyed more than got.
>>
>>86885038
Most of those are shit but Ken Sugiwara knows what's up.
>>
>>86884928
>For example?
Malazan Book of the Fallen
The Black Company
The Wheel of Time
The First Law
The Riftwar Cycle
The Book of the New Sun
The Kingkiller Chronicles
The Coldfire Trilogy
The Realm of the Elderlings
The Stormlight Archive

That's from the top of my head. I'm sure there's more I haven't thought about.
>>
File: starwars3.jpg (227KB, 1000x543px) Image search: [Google]
starwars3.jpg
227KB, 1000x543px
>>86889538
>you will never start spontaneously singing while slaying your enemies with your buds

Why even live?
>>
>>86884928
Anything by Eddings. The writer of writers, who never used a same plot device twice.
>>
Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn trilogy by Tad Williams. GRRM said they "inspired" him to write GoT when all he did was poorly steal the villain concept and add cursing.
>>
>>86884928
Robert E. Howard's fantasy stories are very good. It's a shame he shot himself before he truly blossomed as his stuff is great and had he pushed on with the same rate, he would have achieved much more.
>>
>>86884928
Imagine being you in that editorial meeting and having to be all like "damn, George R. R. Martin, you fuckin' fine, all profound with your hackneyed historical allegories and distorted political realism. I would totally read your books, both my pen name and the real me." when all you really want to do is reread Lolita in your corner office. Like seriously imagine having to be you and not only sit in that chair while George R. R. Martin flaunts his disgusting prose in front of you, the embarrassing metaphors barely concealing his utter lack of literary nuance, and just sit there, page after page, chapter after chapter, while he perfected that novel. Not only having to tolerate his monstrous fucking drivel but his haughty attitude as everyone on the board tells him he's SURPASSED TOLKIEN and DAMN, GEORGE R. R. MARTIN WRITES LIKE *THAT*?? because they're not the ones who have to sit there and watch his overt perversions contort into types of fetishization you didn't even know existed before that day. You've been reading nothing but a healthy diet of Joyce, Pynchon and Wallace for your ENTIRE ADULT LIFE coming straight out of a boarding school in Europe. You've never even read anything this fucking disgusting before, and now you encounter the pinnacles of his work, every stool that was looser than the one before and her cunt that became the world, as he recites them while gesturing suggestively at you, smugly assured that you are enjoying the opportunity to get paid to sit there and revel in his "painstaking (for that is what he calls it)" writing, the writing he worked so sporadically for in the previous decades. And then the editor in chief calls for another discussion, and you know you could discredit Martin’s entire bibliography before the SJW and diversity hires could put you down, but you sit there and endure, because you're fucking you. You're not going to lose your future publisher’s career over this. Just bear it. Hide your face and bear it.
>>
>>86885038
Those look terrible. The artist can't draw for shit.
>>
File: 1430561070846.jpg (247KB, 1024x902px) Image search: [Google]
1430561070846.jpg
247KB, 1024x902px
>>86888975
looks more like knight from dragons crown
>>
>>86885038
>literally ripping off dark souls

fucking gooks
>>
>>86887383
Don't you dare include both Dune and Game of Thrones in the same thought together. Herbert is leagues and bounds beyond that fat hack Martin.

>>86884928
Try Stardust. Also based off a book (Gaiman).
>>
>>86889717
Ah
I'll read both then
>>
>>86884928
The dresden files is bretty gud
>>
>>86886337
The only way a movie could work is if it was a prequel set in one of the desolations.
>>
>>86884928
If you have a thing for lore and worldbuilding, then Malazan. If it's about the hero's journey and adventure, then Zelazny's Amber Chronicles, at least the part covering Corwin.
>>
>>86886583
Loved the first book as well. Still enjoyed the second one, though I wasn't thrilled on Shallan taking center stage. Problem with her is that Sanderson wanted to convey she's a witty sharp tongued character, at least I got the feeling that's what he wanted, but he isn't all that good at writing true wit, so Shallan came across as a shallow tryhard who thinks too much of her linguistic skills during all her banter scenes, yet all characters are awed by it. Still, both books are a great start into that world and I'm looking forward to more. As always, it's fun finding out about the forgotten lore of the world and about the mechanics of the magic system, with Kaladin being an easy to like lead character.
>>
>>86891011
>Try Stardust. Also based off a book (Gaiman).

Nice movie, too.
>>
>>86889538
>>For morning came, morning and a wind from the sea; and the darkness was removed, and the hosts of Mordor wailed, and terror took them, and they fled, and died, and the hoofs of wrath rode over them. And then all the host of Rohan burst into song, and they sang as they slew, for the joy of battle was on them, and the sound of their singing that was fair and terrible came even to the City.
>and and and and and and and and
Wow.
>>
File: 1502975281514.png (2MB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1502975281514.png
2MB, 1080x1080px
>>86884928
I keep hearing about Name of The Wind, but I haven't tried it yet.
>>
>>86889931
>Malazan Book of the Fallen
couldnt finish gardens of the moon, supposedly it gets better afterwards but it was just too much of a slog
>>
>>86884928
Laws of Magic, All books by Feist, wheel of time.
>>
>>86887258
>while all of her children look more like Tullys with red hair and such
Except for Arya.
>>
Some anon probably mentioned it but The Black Company is pretty good.
>>
>>86893261
It's a really great series, I enjoyed the first two books a lot. Unfortunately, like GoT, the lazy piece of shit author refuses to finish the last one in a timely manner and I've been stuck wondering what the fuck is gonna happen for 2 years now.
>>
File: DumaisWells.png (2MB, 1685x576px) Image search: [Google]
DumaisWells.png
2MB, 1685x576px
>“I forget nothing, Aes Sedai,” Rand said coldly. “I said six could come, but I count nine. I said you would be on an equal footing with the Tower emissaries, and for bringing nine, you will be. They are on their knees, Aes Sedai. Kneel!”

>Coldly serene faces stared back at him. He felt Asha’man readying shields of Spirit. Defiance grew on Kiruna’s face, on Bera’s, on others. Two dozen black-coated men made a ring around Rand and the Aes Sedai.

>Taim appeared as close to a smile as Rand had ever seen him. “Kneel and swear to the Lord Dragon,” he said softly, “or you will be knelt.”

tfw the TV show will either never get there or will fuck it up
>>
File: wotplot.gif (28KB, 517x429px) Image search: [Google]
wotplot.gif
28KB, 517x429px
http://www.readandfindout.com/wheeloftime/messageboard/285742/

An interesting read for anyone that has finished the series, it's a good character analysis of worst girl
>>
>>86891011
but GoT has nothing to do with Martin, his book series is called A Song of Ice and Fire
>>
I read the first WoT book and it was basically "women are smart and superior to men" for like 800 pages.
Does it get any better?
>>
I liked the red rising trilogy but what do I know I'm a pleb
>>
>>86895029
To be fair, that series is way better than it has any right to be
>>
I like ASOIAF for the characters and character development, what are some book that put an emphasis on it? Specifically books with characters that are more morally grey and there's not too much good vs evil stuff.

Doesn't even have to be fantasy, sci-fi is fine too.
>>
>>86889538
> a part that was pretty much put there for bants is representative of the whole book series

nice meme
>>
>>86893731
It was a mistake to let the tv series overtake the books. Did he give them any leads on how to proceed beyond the established content? If so and the books then do it differently, I'd always wonder whether he wrote the remaining story differently on purpose just to be different from the tv series, thus departing from the original intent he had for the story, resulting in something lesser.
>>
>>86895064
He must have wrote to to get a big movie franchise payoff.
It will oropbaly and up like Enders game though...
>>
>>86885057
I read all 14(?) of the books, and yet i stopped at book two of GOT.
>>
>>86884981
Not all of them. They were great until that one book where the protag builds a statue and shit.
>>
>>86895095
Apparently he gave them notes about what happens in the last 2 books, but it's probably the broad strokes. The show already diverged a lot from book 4 onwards, so there's no way things will be the same in the books as they will in the show.

Not to mention TWOW and ADOS would have about 2000 pages combined, it's impossible for the show to have all those events in 13 episodes. However it's pretty much guaranteed that Gurm will not finish the series, hopefully someone else will take over and finish it. He'll probably release TWOW, but there's no way he won't die before finishing ADOS.
>>
>>86895685
I can see it now. Grrm will die before finishing the series, just like Jordan. Then they'll approach Sanderson to finish it, because he already did it for WoT as well, which in turn will delay Stormlight Archives even more.
>>
What do you guys think of The First Law books? I've only read the first so far and liked it well enough, even though it's like an entire book of setup just to get a bunch of main characters together.
>>
>>86890070
I was waiting for someone to mention this
>>
File: 4423.jpg (76KB, 387x640px) Image search: [Google]
4423.jpg
76KB, 387x640px
Rose of the Prophet will always be my favorite series.
The main story is set in a more arabian atmosphere, (though theres knights and such as well) where the gods are literal beings who sit around in 'heaven' and talk and argue with each other as shit goes down and holy wars erupt on earth.
The more followers they have, the larger and more splendid looking they become, while the other gods grow more frail and weak as thier followers abandon them.

The dude on the front is Matthew, a gay elf magician who watches his bf and all his fellow priests get butchered by the 'desert people' they think are welcoming them to this new land.
Because of his high voice, long hair and feminine features, the arabs think he's a woman, so they capture him for some rape later, and hijinks ensue.
Its some really fun shit.
>>
asoiaf would be a great anime
>>
>>86898215
If it comes to anime adaptability, I'd have to think of Sanderson's Stormlight Archives. Powerarmor, swords as huge as the characters a fairy waifu practically scream "make me into an anime already!".
>>
>>86884928
As someone who has read most of the good and serious fantasy books out there GOT shouldn't even be considered fantasy...

It almost seems as if GRRM actually hates fantasy elements and only uses it to appeal to a wider audience. The books have barely any fantasy in them, you can go hundreds of pages and not read about a single fantasy element.

It's a medieval war/political thriller, I dont give a shit if the dragons burn something once every thousand pages or some mystic does some pointless fancy trick.

GRRM built a great world though.

As for what is better fantasy than GOT? Easily the Book of the Malazan and probably joe abercrombies books the blade itself with ninefingers
>>
>>86898887
You literally have your first fantasy elements in the prologue.
>>
>>86898887
somehow managed to forget to add the kingkiller chronicles by patrick rothfuss to the list of fantasy books way better than GOT
>>
>>86884928
According to GRRM himself The Book of The New Sun is the best fantasy works in existence.
>>
The dagger and the coin. Five books,easy to read and a good story with lots of great characters.
>>
>>86898956
that proves my point... he uses it as bait to pull people in, a world with dragons and elves and ice zombies!!! except you almost never read about them, the majority of the books has no fantasy
>>
>>86898956
I think his point was that those instances are few and far between, regardless of whether GRRM started off with one such scene.
>>
>>86899205
He wanted to subvert the trope of a world where magic is slowly fading out.
In ASOIAF magic has disappeared for centuries and is slowly coming back, this is why it's scarce at the beginning.
>>
>>86899205
>he uses it as bait to pull people in
JUST WHEN I THOUGHT I WAS OUT
>>
>>86884928
Red Queen's War trilogy by Mark Lawrence
>>
>>86898980
Hahahaha

Good one.
>>
Is Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn still considered a good read nowadays? I remember reading it 15 years ago and seem to remember it fondly, but back then, I haven't read much fantasy yet and now I can't recall anything about it anymore, so I'm considering rereading them.
>>
>>86894576
>women getting utterly btfo in the year 2017 of Our Lord

yeha, not happening
>>
>>86893731
>2 years

We've been waiting for Doors of Stone (book 3) for like 10 years now and the fat, hobbit-looking fucker doesn't write anything. But hey, at least there will be an Anniversary edition of the first book some time this year.
>>
K. J. Parker - Engineer +Scavenger Trilogy's is a pretty good read.
>>
is Valerian any good?
>>
>>86895094
>just for bants
that's how martin writes
>>
>>86899464
I get the complaints about the book, but the unreliable narrator angle holds off mary sure critique sat least until we find out whats true and whats not and the prose is quite simply the best there is.
>>
>>86889538
haha did you have this pasta saved fucking tolkien fans i swear
>>
>>86899379
It's been how many books? how many pages? GRRM isn't trying to slow build into a world full of magic, he is avoiding it.
>>
File: sXBYA.jpg (74KB, 631x673px) Image search: [Google]
sXBYA.jpg
74KB, 631x673px
In no particular order:

Malazan Book of the Fallen
Elric of Melnibone
Kingkiller Chronicle
The Black Company
The Prince of Nothing
The Wheel of Time
Stormlight Archive

Some that can't be wholly recommended:
If you're into massive amounts of rape, enjoy entirely pointless sidestories redpilling you about the Jews and Communism and how Objectivist Jesus fights them with the power of anger and a good work ethic - The Sword of Truth series.
If you're comfortable not knowing the end of the story, because the third book is utter dogshit: the first 2 books of the Raven's Shadow series.
>>
>>86884928

I'm not going to say 'better' but if you want to read more good fantasy novels:

Wheel of Time

The first four David Eddings Series

Shanarra

Steven Erickson

The Book of the New Sun

Chronicles of Amber

The Fionavar Tapestry

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever
>>
File: 1547457434375.jpg (208KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1547457434375.jpg
208KB, 640x480px
The Riftwar Saga
>>
>>86899901
this
>>
File: bas-lag-trilogy.jpg (388KB, 887x464px) Image search: [Google]
bas-lag-trilogy.jpg
388KB, 887x464px
Not a single mention of Mieville and his Bas Lag trilogy? Those'd require massive budgets however.
>>
>>86893261
its sucks. at least for me. Can't stand the main character
>>
>>86900407
I kinda like Kvothe. Can't stand the main girl though. Fuck everything about her.
>>
File: 134745837634734.jpg (45KB, 654x324px) Image search: [Google]
134745837634734.jpg
45KB, 654x324px
"The Bartimaeus Sequence" by Jonathan Stroud
>>
>ctrl+f
>no Goodkind

And all was right with the world.
>>
File: Wiki-background.jpg (296KB, 1785x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Wiki-background.jpg
296KB, 1785x1080px
The First Law series is pretty good. It does dark fantasy better than ASOIAF and it features some of the better written fantasy characters.
>>
>>86899901
I've seldom read books with actual 'Fuck Yeah' moments quite like the Malazan series. Especially a few of the Quick Ben scenes.
>>
>>86900572
I mentioned him
>>86899901

>>86900582
First Law is great because all of the characters are giant assholes, yet you like them. also I'm glad the Inquisitor got a happy end
>>
>>86900550
>that lion rubbing his paws together
>>
Would be nice if the GoT craze resulted in some nice attempts to turn any of those series mentioned in the thread into more tv series or movie franchises, but somehow I'm not very hopeful. I don't see Sony coughing up the cash to make WoT look good. I guess Witcher could work on a tv budget. Which books could you see working as good tv series that don't require 10 million per episode?
>>
>>86900783
Glokta would be the biggest oscar bait ever if it were to get a movie
>>
File: 1370223837679.png (45KB, 532x557px) Image search: [Google]
1370223837679.png
45KB, 532x557px
>>86900804
>the nose on that gargoyle
>>
>>86888202
Fantasy is great when it's an allegory for real-world things, like the Narnia series was.
>>
>>86900877
Never could get into the Narnia series. I thought the religious imagery too overbearing, bordering on clumsy. Every scene with Aslan reads like donut steel Jesus fanfiction.
>>
>>86888187
this and HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
>>
>>86901031
That's because Aslan is supposed to be Jesus as he chooses to embody himself in the Narnia universe. That's the whole point lol
>>
>>86900550
>those animals rubbing their hands

What could it mean?

>>86900783
I wanted to see what he was up to after the trilogy like we got with Logen in Red Country, but the author never really touched upon what he was up to besides a few sentences here and there.
>>
Wrong board, friend.
>>
>>86900582
>>86900783
>>86900827
>>86901125
is it actually good, enjoyable read, or a bit of a waste of time?
>>
Lord of the rings
>>
>>86886958
Every ending of every trilogy with the Fool made me cry, the latest one turned me into a little bitch
>>
>>86886958

This was good until the last book. Completely trashed it.
>>
>>86901303
It's a great read. Best Served Cold and his new series Half a King/ Half the World/ Half a War are also good.
>>
>>86901303
Best characters in any fantasy books imo
>>
>>86894576
I only started the first book, but I knew my boy Rand will be based, what about Perrin?
>>
>>86902928
All 3 of them will end up powerful in one way or another. Although Matt > Rand > Perrin imo.
>>
>>86900550
Read these as a kid, fucking great books, but geared more towards young adults. Not kids, but teens. They're like a cooler Harry Potter - set in Britain, magicians control the country, non-magicians live in slums and ghettos under the boot of the magical government. The magicians powers come from summoning demons, which no one can see without special contact lenses. North America is mentioned as being a near post-apocalyptic frontier, and it's never explained why, which adds to the intrigue. The Bartimaeus POV is great, Stroud knows how to write a legitimately funny inner monologue.

Definitely recommend reading these, if you're into lighter fantasy.
>>
>>86900814
The Witcher, Wheel of Time, and the Black Company are all getting their own shows.
>>
>>86903282
Black Company is basically made for TV already. The intro sequence of them bringing the poisoned soldier to the physicians and then going to fuck shit up is literally a perfect establishing scene.
>>
>>86903360
Yes, I hope they Soulcatcher multiple very different voices to fuck with the audience.
>>
File: eliza-dushku-maxim-hq-04.jpg (294KB, 1200x1194px) Image search: [Google]
eliza-dushku-maxim-hq-04.jpg
294KB, 1200x1194px
>>86903282
>the Black Company
Eliza Dushku to play the Lady...muh dick. Actually hype for this
>>
>>86886564
Not him. I've only read the first book so far. Character's are very standard, though the plot and world is fairly interesting.
>>
>>86903360
>>86903426
David Goyer is producing, too. Which could be both good and bad.
>>
>>86893125
I know, it's annoying as hell. Like reading Dennis Lehane. Andandandandandandand
>>
>>86903426
On one hand she's pretty hot, on the other hand I always wanted Eva Green to play the Lady.
>>
>>86903594
>David Goyer
I enjoyed DaVinci's Demons, so that could work out.
>>
>>86903723
Eva and Eliza really need to be in the same movie. Sexiest fucking "kinda look evil and bitchy" chicks.
>>
>>86903921
How are people finding Eva Green good-looking? She got a nice rack, I'll give her that, but she's a classic butterface.
>>
File: liza.jpg (96KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
liza.jpg
96KB, 1600x900px
>>86903594
Hope they do not fuck with the story and make Croaker some young kid or something.

>>86903723
Still have a crush on her from Buffy/Dollhouse,
days .Eva Green would be cool as well.
>>
narnia
>>
>>86893281
coincidentally finished that about two hours ago
it's anime af
>>
>>86895685
>>86896907
Didn't GRRM leave instructions to destroy his notes and to not finish it if he dies?
>>
>>86893281
I stopped reading it about 200-300 pages in. Picked it up again months later and forced myself to continue. It did get better, though not great. The entire book is like one big prologue, introducing shit constantly, and everything in media res. I imagine it might indeed become a better read as you go on, but it seems counterproductive to go about it this way.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of the anime amount of retarded magic and shit either, I prefer low fantasy, but that's just my taste. I'll give the second book a shot.
>>
>>86903360
>>86903424
the way its written is good for tv but the content is absolutely not...

It's gonna be watered down to pg-13 level...

Black company was great because of its realism, not afraid to detail the reality of life as a mercenary band...
The atmosphere it created was the best part, a tv show is gonna be a bunch of outlaw troublemakers who actually have hearts of gold and become good guys.

It's gonna make me puke.
>>
>>86904601
imagine Generation Kill style series
just a bunch of soldiers talking shit to each other with occasional fighing thrown in-between
I'd watch that
>>
>>86900366
How are these books btw? I heard they were high fantasy but in a sort of steampunk, post-industrialist world, correct?
>>
File: Rake.jpg (449KB, 1563x850px) Image search: [Google]
Rake.jpg
449KB, 1563x850px
>>86904207
>Elrik of Melnibone and his soul eating sword meet mute weirdos with masks.

If it weren't for the overabundant, entirely unnecessary and never resolved archaeological wank Erikson sprinkled through the books just because that's his things, the series would be my absolute #1 fantasy.

>>86904601
Yeah that's my worry as well. The company is portrayed as basically decent people only in the context of their interactions with each other - their family. Easy to gloss over that they are all also almost to a fault murdering, raping psychos.
>>
File: 1501989610999.png (452KB, 492x900px) Image search: [Google]
1501989610999.png
452KB, 492x900px
>>86884983
Only reason I opened the thread.
>>
>>86903243
They're fairly gritty from what I remember, though. Remember Kitty's (jewish?) friend Jacob in the 2nd one who got some horrible skin disease from a wizard? Plus the politics were pretty cool.
>>
>got memed into reading WoT
>it's actually trash tier
>>
>>86884928
The Baker's Boy
>>
>>86894776
i didn't know nynaeve was that stacked
>>
>>86894576
Oh man, the feminists would throw a fit.
>>
>>86904601
Is Black Company filled with magic and shit? Sounds like a good read, otherwise.
>>
>>86904828
Compared to newer fantasy it's pretty long winded and boring, but it's a classic for a reason. Some of us grew up with the books and they hold a special place because of that, because if you think waiting for the next ASoIaF book takes a while, try 23 years for the whole series. Read the First Law trilogy if you want interesting characters and fast action.

>>86905030
No they wouldn't. The Aes Sedai basically control every country, for half the series only women are allowed to be casters, while men with magic get it burned out of them and all of them commit suicide shortly after. Pretty much exactly half the nations are ruled by female rulers and through the entire series, almost every really powerful character, apart from Rand is female.
>>
File: Sabriel_Book_Cover.jpg (49KB, 310x514px) Image search: [Google]
Sabriel_Book_Cover.jpg
49KB, 310x514px
Sabriel would make a pretty good Adaption.

>>86900550
Thank you Djinni, you are my greatest Ally
>>
>>86905212
>No they wouldn't

>man fucks up everything at the beginning of the world
>world ends up ruled by women
>said man reincarnates and blows all the women the fuck out in a spectacular male power fantasy
>>
>>86899568
>book 3 drops
>5000 pages of lolrandom girl making soap
>>
>>86899912
Only one fucking person mentions Thomas Covenant? Literally nothing better.
>>
>>86888213
hello brainlet
>>
>>86905287
>Still ends up being led around on a leash by Aes Sedai handlers, has 3 tsundere wives that tell him who he gets to fuck and what to do

Meh, at best it's a tossup - not that any tv adaption would ever get to the point where he is ready to turn the tables. But still, he DOES end up as a literal god.

>>86905307
>implying Auri isn't second best girl right after Devi
I'd rather read about her than the other slut fucking things up even more
>>
>>86894941
Yes.

Aes Sedai, the arrogant women who try and make it seem that way, are generally humiliated over the course of the series. Their organisation as a whole is revealed to be impotant and generally full of retarded fuck ups,

Moirane and Verin are literally the best they have to offer.
>>
>>86905210
Magic is very rare and strong magic is even more so. Cook manages to have magic be in the world but it never seems to be more important than sound tactics and cold hard steel
>>
>>86905708
The great thing, in my opinion, is that he never dwells too much on the magic and describes it from the perspective of the soldiers.

Ok, sure, there is a super-powerful undead caster with the army that conjures country-spanning sandstorms to help screen you from vastly more numerous enemy pursuers, but all you read about it, is how fucking awful it is for the soldiers in the rearguard that have to skirmish inside the storm.
>>
>>86905287
>Man fucks up
No, women fucked up because NOT A SINGLE ONE OF THEM had the balls to help the Dragon complete a ritual that needed both sides of the One Power to work. It's literally a case of women fucking up and men taking the blame for it.
>>
>>86884951
>insults the genre
>posts inferior work
Shit taste confirmed.
>>
I don't think anyone (except contrarians) really think Game of Thrones is all that bad, but that being said it's not innovative. It hasn't said anything to the fantasy genre that hasn't already been said in literature.

As far as television goes it's pretty groundbreaking.
>>
>>86884928
The Lord Of The Rings and The Chronicles Of Amber.
>>
File: 1486106533630.jpg (37KB, 480x518px) Image search: [Google]
1486106533630.jpg
37KB, 480x518px
>>86905896

This.
Fuck The ten who were taken.
They make for good antagonists but for me it's Croaker and his cynical wit taht make the book.
>>
>>86904752
They are just men doing what they want, no fucks given. No way that is going down in the current year
>>
>>86905983
Nah, the author said that if they had done it like Lews intended, both halves would be fucked up.

But its a case of the women being correct for all the wrong reasons.
>>
>>86905708
Great. I can handle Asoiaf-levels of magic, but anything beyond that tend to make me groan and toss the book. I'll pick up the first novel and give it a go.
>>
File: Titan.jpg (78KB, 372x551px) Image search: [Google]
Titan.jpg
78KB, 372x551px
>>86884928
>>
>>86906284
Really? Fair enough then.
>>
>>86906367
why do you guys seek for magic and powers instead of a good story?
>>
>>86904326
So he's not only lazy, but also petty?
>>
>>86906609
Are you illiterate? I specifically do NOT want to read about magic and powers.
>>
>>86906609
We established that it's a good story with our praise. He just asks for more information because he has further genre preferences.
>>
>>86906775
oops
>>
>>86885278

I thought Tullys had brown?
>>
>>86906823
Stark hair is "so brown that it almost seem black". Tully hair is auburn.
>>
>>86906972

My bad, thanks for spoonfeeding
>>
File: 1497317234999.jpg (504KB, 1366x2048px) Image search: [Google]
1497317234999.jpg
504KB, 1366x2048px
>>86884928
Should I read these or should I read Dark Tower?
>>
>>86906179
he also pulls bitches lika a Chad
>>
>>86907140

it would be weird if that pool wasn't filled up with water and instead something else haha
>>
>>86884928
Yes. Lord of the rings
>>
>>86907140
Read Robert E. Howard's Conan stories, better than 99% of most modern fantasy
>>
>>86907140
If you're already set on one of those two, I'd read OP books. Then again, Dark Tower is actually "finished" while Asoiaf won't be finished for a long ass time.
>>
>>86903282
A "monster of the week" approach to the Witcher would be amazing. I loved the first two books so much.
>>
File: IHz9oGu.jpg (76KB, 1185x784px) Image search: [Google]
IHz9oGu.jpg
76KB, 1185x784px
>>86907220
Pool's closed due to AIDSSS
>>86907281
Is REH edgy?
>>
>>86907468
As long as it has the writing and production to sustain it, otherwise it'll degenerate into another fucking Supernatural.
>>
>>86907656
>>86907468

Well they've got the author breathing over their shoulders and he wasn't too happy with the liberties the games took. Met him at a book signing a few years ago and he's a right old cunt. I'm fairly sure there won't be any 'monster of the week' or degeneration into supernatural tier shit.
>>
>>86907500
She kinda has a similar face to AnnaSophia Robb.
>>
>>86907426
>He thinks GRRM will finish it.
Fucking idiot
>>
>>86907500
Subtly shopping her already alien face makes it more uncomfortable for the rest of us
>>
>>86887778
Yes, this.
>>
>>86907889
The writing in the games is better than that in the Witcher saga (or the first three, haven't read the last two). I'd be bitter as well if I was outshone by a fucking video game.
>>
The one with all the gay rape and incest
>>
>>86907889
Depends on how much creative control they're awarding him. Also, I'm not quite sure whether he even knows what the games did, as he always makes a point on saying that he couldn't be arsed with playing them, since games are not his thing.

From a business point, I wouldn't be surprised if the tv series tried to emulate the look and feel of the games, especially W3, to a point, since the majority of people out there will probably have had their first experience with the witcher through the games, which kinda made the whole thing broadly popular in the first place.
>>
>>86907946
>implying I ever said GRRM himself would finish it.
You're retarded.
>>
>>86907140
The Dark Tower ending will infuriate you much more than ASOIAF's lack of ending ever will
>>
>>86908159
I am retarded? Why would you be satisfied by an author other than GRRM finishing it? Fucking moron
>>
>>86908159
No reason. D&D are going to finish it for him; you don't even have to read anymore, you fucking simpleton
>>
>>86908229
>changing the subject when caught out being retarded.
Try again, retard.
>>
>>86908135
I expect that you're right on the style part. There's just too much widely accepted prior art, costume design and world building for them not to use it. In fact it would probably harm the show if they deviated.

As for what he didn't like, I remember reading that he wasn't happy with the development of certain characters and that the show was to be focused on the short stories without any of the game OC creations.

>>86908229
Meh. At this point a trained monkey could write a better ending than the one the show is giving us. I'd send the whole shit to Sanderson and have him shit out the next 2 books in half a year.
>>
I'm kinda surprised that for all its popularity, no one in this thread chooses to contest any of the choices offered on what series are considered superior to GoT.
>>
>>86908358
Back to the subject then. Who is going to finish it?
>>
>>86908229
I don't know but most reviews I've read of Wheel of Time are all positive on the last three books Brandon Sanderson authored.
>>
>>86908135
Well, they'll have to make a few changes for the sake of diversity, of course. Can't make a show without representing minorities :^)
>>
Dune
Book of The New Sun
Lord of The Rings

That's it.
>>
>>86907140
She's dating a Trayvon hoodie wearing jigaboo. :)
>>
>>86908418
Have you not watched what has happened to this story when passed off?
>>
>>86908386
>without any of the game OC creations.

Dunno about that. I wouldn't mind having guys like Thaler or Vernon Roche make a guest appearance, as opposed to making it the Snowflake Ciri Power Hour, that the books were at times.
>>
>>86908418
I wouldn't know, this series is the only, and only, time I have ever wasted time reading fantasy.
>>
>>86908418
Sanderson had been a lifelong fan of The Wheel of Time and Jordan's widow specifically picked him - without him applying for it or anyhting - to finish the series. Fucking hell, you can see how much Sanderson is a WoT fanboy by the Stormlight Archive. He reused several one-off or minor character names and wrote it specifically so the male/female duo that voiced the WoT audiobooks could do his series.

>>86908535
Yeah, but like I said, Spakowski is a cunt.
>>
>>86906609
is it weird that i want a rich fantastical world with a good story?

if i didn't want magic and shit i wouldn't read fantasy books.
>>
>>86908447
Of course she's a degenerate. That should always be your default assumption with every actress. Doesn't mean she isn't eye candy.
>>
>>86908391
GoT isn't perfect, and different series offer different things.

GoT may offer some of the best political intrigue in fantasy, but Raymond E. Feist's Magicain series provides a multi-generational story about an evolving fantasy culture under invasion from other dimensions.
>>
>>86907281
>Read Robert E. Howard's Conan stories, better than 99% of most modern fantasy
This. Actually, let me post my favorite parts:
>There was a Shemitish counterfeiter, with his hook nose and curled blue-black beard.
>He had never seen an elephant, but he vaguely understood that it was a monstrous animal, with a tail in front as well as behind. This a wandering Shemite had told him, swearing that he had seen such beasts by the thousands in the country of the Hyrkanians; but all men knew what liars were the men of Shem. At any rate, there were no elephants in Zamora.
>Yasmela saw the glint of gold in the Shemite's hand, as the men bent closely over something.
>>
Pratchett's Night/City Watch books.
>>
>>86889931
The Black Company is great until they go south, then it becomes utter trash.
>>
>>86884928
>>86907281
>>86908179
Donate your entry-level waste to the nearest toilet and stop being a manchild.
>>
>>86909009

+1
It just doesn't work when Croaker isn't the main POV anymore.
>>
>>86893261
Great books, but no point in reading them now when the series is unfinished and the author is lazy as fuck
>>
File: 1459187659528.jpg (357KB, 650x919px) Image search: [Google]
1459187659528.jpg
357KB, 650x919px
>>86908980
>He wanted to go home. He wanted it so much that he trembled at the thought. But if the price of that was selling good men to the night, if the price was filling those graves, if the price was not fighting with every trick he knew....Then it was too high.
Sam Vimes was an absolutely outstanding character
>>
>>86909355
>not sword
ABSOLUTE SHITE
>>
>>86909063
says a cuck
it's was all le cycle all along endings are intellectually lazy and should be punishable by death
King is a hack
>>
Dark Tower Series
>>
File: IMG_1226.jpg (17KB, 240x232px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1226.jpg
17KB, 240x232px
>>86884951
This is fucking terrible and I read the whole 1000 page first book and it's too obvious the author is an autist. I cringed so hard at the dialogue it was painful. Tried reading a few other """good fantasy genres """ and they weren't much better. GRRM truly is a modern day Tolkien because this genre is so shit.
>>
>>86887778
>You'll never get to see Tehol Beddict bring Letherii to it's knees with memes
>So many quips marvel postpones their future lineups to add more quips

Why even live
>>
>>86909485
This, the best thing GRRM did was not follow the naming conventions of fantasy. It works when you have a professor of linguistics at Oxford, not when some guy influenced by him makes up silly D&D sounding elf names
>>
>>86884928
Lord of the rings
>>
>Demon Cycle
>First Law
>Broken Empire/Red Queens War
>The Gentlemen Bastards
>>
>>86885023
Quoting this for the truth, Fadhrd was a great series
>>
Is there any fantasy set in an age of colonialism or even ancient Greek style times? Seems it's always medieval
>>
>>86889931
>The Riftwar Cycle
Die on a fire.
>>
File: 1345606456713.gif (13KB, 633x758px) Image search: [Google]
1345606456713.gif
13KB, 633x758px
>>86909561

The god of the Seas will never be your servant .
>>
>>86909561
>You'll never see Kalam and Quick Ben fuck shit up in jolly cooperation
>>
>>86887778
The last book disappointed me, but that might not be the author's fault. I'm just used to more conventional endings that ties all loose ends together
>>
>>86909879
a-anyone?
>>
>>86909893
>>86909927
The banter between characters in the later books is great to read and provides much needed laughter in those books. Incidentally, after reading Tehol and Bugg's highly amusing poverty adventures, I happened to read the second Stormlight Archive book right after, where Sanderson couldn't write Shallan as a witty character, if his life depended on it. Really didn't help to make me appreciate her as a character.
>>
>>86910161

But the last book did tie everything together.
The Cripled God was freed or had died for good ( I don't really know one way or another).
The Paran siblings were reunited, Shadowtrhrone and Cotillion were free to to whatever they fucking wanted and Fiddler could retire in peace fishing out demons on Malaz island.
>>
>>86910348

I don't know why but I actaully liked the banter between Kaladin and Shallan
>>
>>86884928
Malazan Book of the Fallen.

The KingKiller chronicle.
>>
>>86910488
She may have gotten better by then, been a while since I've read the book, and Kaladin is an easy straight man. From what I recall, what got on my nerves were her flashbacks and her voyage before meeting Kaladin. She'd say something that's at most a retort a child may think clever and if the character's reacted to it as such, it would have been ok, but then the characters would comment on how sharp tongued and quick witted she was, which caused various levels of cognitive dissonance in me, regarding the dialogue I read and the reactions of the characters toward it. Kinda like having a butterface actress in a movie who'd get called a beauty by anyone she meets.
>>
File: us-dragon.jpg (113KB, 185x305px) Image search: [Google]
us-dragon.jpg
113KB, 185x305px
Anyone enjoyed these? i read them as a kid but i unironically like the setting
>>
>>86910944

Yea I'm not going to pretend I liked the fashbacks.
I agree it wasn't Sandersons best work, hell I wanted to stab myself in the eye reading the Mistborn sequels.He just can't write female characters....but few men can so I can let that slide I guess
>>
>>86911189
Thankfully the other stuff on the Stormlight books more than made up for it, at least for me, so I'm looking forward to more.
>>
>all these people mentioning First Law
wtf I didn't know /tv/ actually had good taste
>>
>>86912151
been considering it, is it good?
>>
>>86912332
they're fantastic imo. The story is pretty straight forward, essentially a wizard trying to gather a bunch of the biggest assholes in the world to fight another asshole brown wizard. They're some of the best written characters I've ever read though. Logan is one of my favorites, he's a barbarian but hes trying to stop killing so many people. His dialogue is amazing despite the fact that he's "dirty barbarian" and I find myself just quoting him all the time

> There are few men with more blood on their hands than me. None, that I know of. The Bloody-Nine they call me, my enemies, and there’s a lot of ’em. Always more enemies, and fewer friends. Blood gets you nothing but more blood. It follows me now, always, like my shadow, and like my shadow I can never be free of it. I should never be free of it. I’ve earned it. I’ve deserved it. I’ve sought it out. Such is my punishment.

The story is very fast paced though, not that much world building or politics but a page turner.
>>
>>86909561
>you'll never see the normie tears over watching the chain of dogs struggle through shit and hell for a whole season only to get tragically annihilated in the finale
>>
File: 1407089926034.jpg (160KB, 602x468px) Image search: [Google]
1407089926034.jpg
160KB, 602x468px
>>86912782

The chan of dogs could just be made into a movie.
There is no need for background shit there
>>
>>86885962
and he does it while squeezing in new Mistborn books, and various other projects, and short stories in. He's like the polar opposite of Martin given how much material he puts out and how transparent he is in where he is in the writing process currently
>>
>>86913173
Allegedly he put one of his editing staff in hospital
>>
File: sword_of_shannara_cover.jpg (497KB, 1047x1572px) Image search: [Google]
sword_of_shannara_cover.jpg
497KB, 1047x1572px
>>86884928
>>
>>86910286
The Latro in the Mist series by Gene Wolfe is what you're looking for
>>
Historical fiction is better than fantasy. Name a fantasy writer that does a better job than James Clavell, I fucking dare you.
>>
>>86884951
Malazan Books of the Fallen.
>>
>>86884981
More world building than fantasy also weird rape stuff
>>
>>86903004
Rand>Mat>Perrin
>>
>>86885193
All the Stark children have auburn hair except for Arya and Jon Snow
>>
shame neither of you can read it because as far as I know there's no translation

I'd have to day it's the best piece of genre fiction I've ever came across
>>
>>86887778
I've heard good things about this, but apparently it's extremely long. Is it worthwhile?
>>
>>86915180
The first book is super tough to get through, but its worth it in the long run.
>>
>>86884928
Ursula K Le Guin's Earthsea universe
Middle-Earth universe obviously
I personally liked Jane Yolen's Young Merlin trilogy the most as a teen
>>
>>86884951
wheel of time was great but needs to be redone with less shitty female POV chaptars. i loved the story, but it was just too slow and to many shitty pov characters and a bit to much kiddish dialog once theyd assumed leadership positions 4-5 books in
>>
>>86884983
This
>>
>>86915180
Many get turned off by the first book (I still liked it) cause you get dropped right into the setting without any explanations of anything, like how magic works and you figure it out as you go along. If you don't like the series by book 2 just drop it.
Thread posts: 316
Thread images: 40

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.