[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What did Brando do that Bogart hadn't already done?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

File: res.png (265KB, 876x480px) Image search: [Google]
res.png
265KB, 876x480px
I often hear about the method acting innovations that Brando popularized... but wasn't Bogart already getting similar results at portraying the inner depths of his characters a decade previously? Not that Bogart was a method actor, of course, but just that he was getting similar results...
Also, I'm not making this to bash Brando - he was a tremendous actor.
>>
>>86842566
act
>>
>>86842566
BUTTER
>>
>>86842566
Did Bogart eat like 10 litres of ice cream a day? Bust a pair of pants four times in a morning? Take a bite from a frog and then throw it back?
>>
>>86842578
Could you expand on that?
>>
>>86842641
He was method eating.
>>
>>86842566
Who cares? Acting isn't an art and it's easy as shit. Without a doubt the most overpaid "profession" to ever exist.
>>
>>86842665
Yer pullin my leg, mate...
>>
>>86842665
If it's not an art, why are some people 1000 times better at it than others?
>>
File: asdfasdafsdf.jpg (47KB, 360x264px) Image search: [Google]
asdfasdafsdf.jpg
47KB, 360x264px
This is what I get for making a thread that's not about capeshit...
>>
>>86842665
Maybe now, but in the old days people knew how to act. Now we just have shitty jews that rather make a political standpoint while earning millions than make a good movie.
>>
>>86842652
no
>>
>>86843664
I don't know about that... I think that most major Hollywood actors are, at least, technically competent and could probably do pretty good work with proper scripts and directing. But the scripts aren't there and the directing is either bad or hampered by studio execs.
>>
>>86842665
>Acting isn't an art and it's easy as shit.
Yet you're struggling to act cool as an anonymous poster on 4chan.
I've been a stand-in for some pretty big names, and you really get an appreciation for how much better professional actors are from all the wannabes. It's really something to watch.
>>
>>86844034
Yeah, I think that guy doesn't know what he's talking about.
I go to local independent theater productions sometimes. Most of the actors are mediocre. Every now and then a show happens to have an actor who's actually good - usually an older person who's been doing it for a few decades. The difference is like night and day. The good, experienced actor draws one's eye magnetically. The other actors seem like they're doing it for the first time, in comparison.
>>
>>86842566
It was never really method as in the "method" sense as Bogie never mined the emotional depths of his characters the likes of Brando did. Bogie never took any lessons, he worked his way up the acting ladder, via stage and smaller roles. He did have a lack of range but was able to excel in comfortable roles later in his career because he'd spent a lot of time paying brooding bad guys or could call on personal experience (his messy relationships or his alcoholism) this gave those roles a more naturalist feel. He was also of a generation that was less arrogant and grateful to opportunities and worked at improvement because he was aware of the situation he was in. Brando, was somewhat the opposite, in that early success saw him piss away his career and talent, but he excelled in the "method" in achieving an emotional empathy with his characters if not always a naturalistic one, (Newman was better than Brando at this).
>>
>>86843664
Yeah I miss great actors like Brando who didn't try to be political

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QUacU0I4yU
>>
>>86842807
>If it's not an art, why are some people 1000 times better at it than others?
Not him but 99% of what people call 'good acting' is code for 'I like this person's voice and appearance.'

Like how guys HATED Keanu Reeves when he was a teen heartthrob in the early 80s and now manchildren on 4chan love him because of shit like JOHN WICK. And it's not like he got better as an actor.

Most 'good' actors are just Brits that Americans think are intelligent and good actors because they have British accents and can recite Shakespeare.
>>
>>86844675
>early 80s
meant early 90s
>>
>>86844675
That's true for a lot of people, but that's not where I'm coming from. I think I can tell what's actually good acting.
>>
>>86844547
Interesting... you sound like you know your stuff. Do you think Bogart really had a lack of range, or was he just typecast? Are there any examples of him trying to go outside his range and not doing that well?
>>
>>86842566
move his upper lip, no wait, he never did that either
>>
>>86844803
He was typecast to a point, the studio never tried to put him in a period drama, comedy or historical but at the same time he wasn't exactly beating down the producers door to be cast in one, he knew what he was good at and stuck too it for the most part, only after noir was on there way out were broader roles explored towards the end of the 40's. Even with things like Sabrina and the Barefoot Contessa he was struggling for a connection to the rest of the production (Sabrina is a good example of the differences between generations in actors with William Holden, who I hold in high regard). Is he convincing in the Caine Mutiny or The Left Hand of God, probably not, but I don't discount the effect of his alcoholism and health on these performances.
>>
>>86845633
Thanks for the insight. I'm gonna go watch some of Bogart's less well known performances when I have a chance.
>>
Pretty sure Brando didn't fuck a 17 yo smoke show Lauren Bacall but I could be wrong.
>>
>>86845633
I think he's pretty damn convincing in The Caine Mutiny.
>>
are old movies good, i hesitate to watch any cause i worry that they'll be too slow like the pace on an Andy Griffith episode.
>>
>>86846205
>tfw you'll never see a movie about Bogart and Brando competing over Bacall.
>>
>>86846570
Many old movies aren't slow-paced at all. For an example with Bogart, check out The Maltese Falcon. Actually, a lot of noir moves at a pretty fast clip.
>>
>>86846570
Watch ashes and diamonds, it helps if you know polish
>>
It's pretty funny how much Bogart and Bacall just got paid for making out with each other on camera.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.