[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Lord of the Rings Pagan or Christain?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

and which elements do you think are pagan or christain from the movies?
https://youtu.be/rzFs4EvyljI
>>
Symbolically superficially pagan (names, places, mythological inspiration), but its moral is fundamentally Christian - almost Manichaean.
>>
>>86765620
Exactly like all European culture: a mix of both.
>>
It's White.
>>
>>86765620
Literally Jesus and the Catholic canon is also LotR canon. Elu is YHWH
>>
>>86765620
>Christian
Tolkein was a christfag, so there was the dichotomy of good and evil in a metaphysical sense.
>Pagan
He had a throbbing erection for pagan culture so borrowed miscellaneous folklore and gods and shit
>>
>>86765620
both I think
>>
>>86765620
>>86766007
Tolkien was a devout Catholic, but had stated numerous times that any religious allegory was not to be taken literally from the works, he did not intend for people to read Christianity into it, nor did he write it so.

It does obviously have the age old themes and concepts shared with the bible, good vs evil, the hero's journey etc., but it was intended to be interpreted as a self-contained story.

Trying to apply Christian theology to it ruins the world it tries to create and alienates readers not open to it.
>>
>>86765620
>pagan or christain
yes
>>
>>86766322
It's set in our world, Christ comes thousands of years later and dies and rises
>>
>>86765620

Tolkien was a devout Catholic but he said on multiple occasions nothing in LoTR was intended to be allegory. He just wanted to create a new mythos for the 20th century
Plenty of religious stuff influenced his works but it's really a combination of stuff from old Norse, pagan, Christianity etc
>>
>>86766382
Do you have a citation for that?
It contradicts what Tolkien had actually said in interviews.
>>
>>86765620

>Varg is still alive

wut ?
>>
>>86766474
link the interviews my man i want to see the footage
>>
>>86766510
well he person he LITERALLY KILLED definately isn't
>>
>>86766578
You do know that not all interviews are filmed? Even papers today have written interviews.
>>
>>86766474
>>86766578
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvSogRcyDzs

5:40

>Oh yes, they're the same word. Most people have made this mistake of thinking Middle-earth is a particular kind of Earth or is another planet of the science fiction sort but it's just an old fashioned word for this world we live in, as imagined surrounded by the Ocean.
>>
>>86765620
Christianity is pagan.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.