[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is this such a masterpiece? And why has everything Chris

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 11

File: CxX9i6Y_d.jpg (47KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
CxX9i6Y_d.jpg
47KB, 640x360px
Why is this such a masterpiece?

And why has everything Chris Lilley done since been mediocre at best?
>>
File: 1501391681635.png (130KB, 315x330px) Image search: [Google]
1501391681635.png
130KB, 315x330px
>>86719892
Summer Heights High:
>Witty Australian highschool comedy
>Characters remind us of people we've met in real life
>Characters are over the top, but believable as if they're based off real people

Everything else:
>OI FUCK BRO
>OI DAMO YA CUNT, OI DAMO YA BITCH
>BEER AND ALCOHOL
>OI FUCK AY?
>OI FUCK SHIT PISS
>I'm gay
>OI YEAH FUCK, TESTICLES
>>
It was great because it didn't linger on one character for too long, although Angry Boys followed the same format but wasn't nearly as charming.

Chris Lilley is the definition of a hack, but it's ok because he gave us SHH.
>>
>>86720110
>Characters are over the top, but believable as if they're based off real people
This was my favorite part of the show
>>
It's insane how accurate summer heights high is
Australia/NZ public schools are honestly like that, it's not even satire.
>>
>>86720157
There are over the top kinds of people in life who you can assign any one of these three characters to in your head.
Any other Chris Lilly show doesn't really have this unfortunately. The characters become unrelatable...
Also the writing in the other shows is dreadful, does he expect me to laugh at the word "Fuck" all the time?
>>
Pick your waifu
>>
File: 1502426338078.gif (61KB, 156x267px) Image search: [Google]
1502426338078.gif
61KB, 156x267px
>>86720295
>Expecting 4chin to pick anyone but the trap
>>
>>86720110

The principle of my school once went to a theatre production held by some private school in Sydney. It turns out that the drama teacher who coordinated the whole thing was later used by Chris Liley as inspiration for Mr G.

Apparently the dude was/is just as fucking crazy as in Summer Heights High.
>>
Im not Australian, didn't really enjoy it
>>
>>86719892
I'm an American and I love SHH. None of the characters remind me of people I've met but they still sonehow come across so genuine. Everyone I've ever turned on to the show has loved it too. I honestly think Chris lilley is a genius.
I Wish mr g got a spinoff.
>>
>tfw went to uni with Chris Lilley
>he ended up getting a HBO show and world famous and I'm just some producer for a graveyard shift radio station

Really makes me think.
>>
>>86720146
I think the problem with angry boys was that he didn't know enough about the subcultures he was satirising.
SHH and even WCBH were all characters that everyone knows someone similar to.
>>
>school day after an episode airs
>everyone saying "puck you" to the teacher
>>
>>86720519
Maybe if you were more willing to dress up like a pretty girl you'd get further in life.
>>
>>86720546
every school in the country has dicktation scrawled somewhere
>>
I watched it for the first time a couple of weeks ago.

That part where he accuses his dad of touching him and draws that picture had me laughing for about a day.
>>
>Jonah speaks with an NZ accent
What did Chris mean by this
>>
>>86720546
>>86720616
>mfw stsrted break dancing every recess and lunch for a year after this show

What the fuck was i thinking
>>
>>86720639
Well New Zealanders ARE Islanders.
>>
>>86719892
>>86720179

it was a pretty accurate depiction of what school was like in Northern California circa 2000ish, even down to the shitty tongan break dancers. I showed it to a bunch of my friends and they all lost their shit and shared high school stories.
>>
>>86719892
angry boys is pretty good desu, and who knows everything he did after that were just straight up milking from summer heights high, ABC is in the shitter right now so they obviously care way more about money than output. Hopefully he gets picked up by another studio
>>
File: 1503264219257.png (114KB, 680x559px) Image search: [Google]
1503264219257.png
114KB, 680x559px
>>86719892
Chris Lilley/Sam Hyde collab when?
>>
>>86720179
>Australia/NZ public schools are honestly like that, it's not even satire

fucking this. the first day of high school we were given a tour by a pair of senior prefects. when we passed by the sports fields a group of year 13s lit up an apple bong and passed it around. they were blasting soulja boy on their high end Nokia n95s. or was it motorollo razr, i forget. anyway our tour guides hurried us away pretty quick and around the next corner were a group of islanders pretending to break dance for a bunch of year 10 white girls
>>
>>86719892
Nah m8, Angry Boys is underappreciated. It was a show that was more than the sum of its parts, but people just wanted to get a quick laugh every week.
>>
>>86720616
oh fuck me, all the povo cunt low end wooden desk 90s-hangover classrooms had that scratched all over the place. lmao
>>
Speaking of auskino there's a new Big Lez Show ep out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIsJkjImpdI
>>
>>86721083
I also think that by the time Angry Boys came out everyone was starting to get tired of Lilley's shtick.
>>
>>86720295
3>1>2>5>>>>>4
>>
>>86720295
3>>>2>4>1>>>5
>>
Angry boys had some top moments but also a lot of mediocre ones

Gran best girl
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deUdZwYEDzk
>>
>>86720546
I was right in the middle of high school when the show aired. Fuck me, I wish I could go back.
>>
>>86720782
Since you're saying ABC is in the shitter I'm guessing you'd be familiar with it so I'll ask you.
Is Cleverman worth picking up? I can't trust reviews cause of course our liberal media will laud any show starring a black fella.
>>
>>86719892
fuck the abc, sbs had the only comedy that matters
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tU3wTWIEsI
>>
>>86721367
Not that anon, and I haven't watched the second season, but in my opinion it was pretty shit. All six episodes build up to a confrontation that doesn't even happen because ep 6 ends on a cliffhanger.

The effects were bad and the main character is probably one of the most unlikable cunts on Australian television. Also the Hairy People makeup just seemed incredibly lazy to me.

Probably won't ever get around to watching the second season because honestly it was bad.
>>
>>86721485
cheers mate, ill give it a skip then
>>
File: Angry_boys.jpg (27KB, 460x258px) Image search: [Google]
Angry_boys.jpg
27KB, 460x258px
I rewatched Angry Boys and it was a lot better than I remember. Gran is probably one of Chris Lilley's best characters, you actually cared for her character and her arc and at the same time she was hilarious.

The asian mum was a cliche but also hilarious and so were Dan and Nathan.

The only characters that dragged the show down were S.mouse and the surfer. I like how their characters developed over the series, but holy shit they are SO unfunny. I remember maybe, two good lines from the surfer and nothing from S.mouse apart from the squashed nigga song which was admittedly great.
>>
>>86721667
>tfw you realise the theme song for Angry Boys is just an orchestral version of Squashed Nigga
>>
File: 1502871512276.jpg (40KB, 576x472px) Image search: [Google]
1502871512276.jpg
40KB, 576x472px
>>86721025
>blasting soulja boy on their high end Nokia n95s. or was it motorollo razr

Not even my own memory but the nostalgia is so strong it hurts
>>
>>86720452
Nigger, I can name 3 people in my personal life who are over eccentric about acting and drama and who will remind me of Mr G.

Hell, I can name 1 or 2 for Jamie and Jonah too.
>>
>>86721667
How did he get away with singing "Squashed Nigga" while painted black?
>>
Mr G best character
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjiM8Z0sxyo
>>
why did mr g hate chinamen so much?
>>
>>86720468
I'm not Australia room and this show is fucking brilliant
>>
>>86722396
He's Australian, we all hate chinks
>>
>>86722131
Did anyone even give a shit about blackface in Australia until Harry Connick Jr mouthed off about it on Hey Hey It's Saturday?
>>
File: mr g sign.jpg (26KB, 717x473px) Image search: [Google]
mr g sign.jpg
26KB, 717x473px
chris lilley NAILED playing that semi-poofter arts teacher that every school has
>>
This show was always so fucking trashy and unfunny. All the idiots at my school loved it.
>>
>>86723984
t. naruto watcher
>>
>>86724002
Back when this aired I preferred stuff like Extras instead of this low brow garbage
>>
>>86722396
Australians are incredibly racist, I'm Australian and every friend I've had and most people I've met I'm able to have redpilled conversations with them because they either hate abos, lebs or chinks
>>
File: flyover zone.png (70KB, 2000x1870px) Image search: [Google]
flyover zone.png
70KB, 2000x1870px
>>86724119
You must be some flyover bogan then. I can think of maybe one person I could say stuff like that to. Everyone else would go insane. It's not as widespread as you seem to wish.
>>
>>86719892
I love angry boys, we can be heroes and summer heights high.

I love the one when he plays the asian mom forcing her son to pretend to be a gay skateboarder and the twins from dunt
>>
>>86724203
Even in liberal cities like Melbourne and Canberra you can find true blues at the local watering hole, but yeah, the culture of the inner cities has completely 180'd since I was a teenager. Brisbane's still cool.
>>
>>86722171
I love how the kids can't contain their laughter
>>
>>86722171
I remember seeing this scene when it first came out and didn't laugh once. Nothing's changed.
>>
>>86719892
It was the perfect balance of comedy and sentimentality. Legitimately teared up during Jonah's scenes at the end. I wish more people realized how well comedy and tragedy go together.
>>
>>86723880
Fucking christ this is perfect. I should really rewatch it, I bet I missed a bunch of things
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.