[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wes Anderson

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 10

File: grand-budapest-hotel-1.png (1MB, 1352x811px) Image search: [Google]
grand-budapest-hotel-1.png
1MB, 1352x811px
Is his stuff overhyped?
>>
>>86637263

I liked this and Moonlight Kingdom.
If anything, his set and costume designs are great.
>>
File: gustave.jpg (686KB, 2542x1646px) Image search: [Google]
gustave.jpg
686KB, 2542x1646px
>Reminder that the "H." in Gustav is literally Hitler's long lost brother, liquidated due to the embarrassment of having a homo in the family.
>>
>>86637263
Definitely. He's style over substance but his style is impeccable
>>
Grand Budapest is his magnum opus so far in my opinion.
>>
>>86637404
He wasn't gay. Bi with preference towards grandmas with money
>>
>>86637498

Really? It felt more like a parody of his previous works.
>>
>>86637539
Stylistic flanderisation?
>>
>>86637498
I've been told The Royal Tenenbaums is his best, but I've held off on seeing it

How d'you think it stacks up compared to Grand Budapest?
>>
>>86637510
Where was it implied that he was either gay or bi?
>>
>>86637539
yeah, both it and moonrise kingdom were just too amplified. every one of his trademarks were turnt to 11. i'm less excited for the new one than i've ever been.
>>
>>86637653
The problem is that it absolutely works in Moonrise Kingdom, to the point where I'd call that film his magnum opus.

Grand Budapest, otoh, absolutely feels like a parody of his work. Absolute Flanderization right there.

And Fantastic Mr Fox is quietly his best film
>>
>>86637628
The Royal Tenenbaums is his best film in my opinion.
>>
>>86637510
>>86637637
>Let's change the subject
Bi is a type of gay.
>>
>>86637539
The Grand Budapest Hotel is like an intricate cake for dessert. The Royal Tennenbaums is more like a main course meal
>>
Life Aquatic is my personal favorite. One of Murray's best roles.
>>
rushmore is hilarious
>>
>>86637980
Glad I'm not the only one.
>>
>>86637980
No, you're right on the money. It's right up there with Moonrise for me, and it's easily the one with the best respective performances for its cast members within the Anderson canon.
>>
>>86637980
The moment they find the shark is absolutely fucking magical.
>>
>>86637833
right
>>
>>86637263
Beautiful films tho
>>
If Wes Anderson's my favourite director, what other movies would I like?
>>
>>86638968
Nolan
>>
>>86637628
It's one of his worst. Slow and boring. The Life Aquatic is his best. Moonrise Kingdom second best. Both these have a strong plot and reasonably fast pacing.

>>86638968
If you like his boring movies then check out Jean Renoir.
>>
>>86638968
David Zellner.
>>
>>86637263
It was, but at least you get to see Jeff Goldblum getting killed
>>
Wes Anderson makes fantastic and sincere films.
Edgelords just don't like them because they're accessible.
>>
>>86637564
I can see it. Take a look at his earlier films vs post Fantastic Mr. Fox. A difference in cinematography and color that emphasize visuals while story seems to be less important.

He does a great job at portraying relationships, especially between male characters i.e. Life Aquatic, Fantastic Mr. Fox, Darjeeling Unlimited, and Grand Budapest.
>>
>>86639852
>Story less important
>Moonrise Kingdom

Choose one, m8
>>
>>86640302
But yeah, what you said about his post Mr Fox films describes Grand Budapest to a t. Ditto for his portrayals of friendships and relationships.
>>
films he cowrote with owen wilson > the rest
>>
Wes Anderson films are a perfect filter for those who try way too hard to be movie critics. His movies are very entertaining and well made, and I'm honestly convinced that the only people who don't like his stuff are the ones with their heads too far up their ass to watch it
>>
I like Wes Anderson a lot honestly. I like the bittersweet and melancholy feel they all have.
>>
Darjeeling is easily my favorite of his, even though it seems pretty overlooked by most fans. That film gets better every time I watch it.

>>86638968
Check out Noah Baumbach's stuff.
>>
No, he's an excellent filmmaker, one of the best modern directors. If you're interested, read Richard Brody's writing on him, one critic that really gets it. It's important to factor in his influences like Renoir, New Hollywood, French New Wave, here in GBH for instance films like The Rules of the Game. Beautifully directed, heartfelt, well acted, original. Don't buy into the /tv/ meme that it's cool to hate him bc girls like him.
>>
>>86637263
maybe a little but moonrise kingdom was pretty good desu
>>
File: A Whit Stillman Trilogy.jpg (374KB, 1280x923px) Image search: [Google]
A Whit Stillman Trilogy.jpg
374KB, 1280x923px
>>86638968
>>
I liked Moonrise and Budapest. They're both really nice to look at and there's a lot of charm.
>>
I think if Anderson did Rushmore today it would be a 10/10.
>>
>>86640956
what makes you say that? more experience as a filmmaker?
>>
>>86637263
not at all man, if anything the movies seem bloodless on the surface, but underneath the twee there is a deep wisdom about life and humanity. Or at least a genuine feeling of love. That's all you really need
>>
>>86641162
He's got bigger budgets, more experience, thus more elaborate sets and directing. I'd love to see the script of Rushmore have that heightened reality feel that Grand Budapest and Moonrise exude, since I think Rushmore is probably his best script. The film, as it is, is nice and homely though. That quality is nice. My favorite is Life Aquatic.
>>
File: danger tenenbaums.jpg (545KB, 702x1350px) Image search: [Google]
danger tenenbaums.jpg
545KB, 702x1350px
Serious question:
In Tenenbaums when Richie comes to see Royal, who is working as an elevator attendant, and begins to tell him about Eli's drug problem, Royal cuts him off and radio's Pagoda, 'Let's hit it!'

What did he mean by that? I never got it. Was he not listening to his son and wanted to race Pagoda to the bottom? Did he sense Richie would tell him he needed his help? Maybe i'm having a giant brainfart but i dunno.

>>86640956
How do you mean? Not being facetious. As it is I think it's a 9-9.5 for me. GOAT soundtrack, warm comfy cinematography, brilliant script, heartfelt pathos. Max's actor is appropriately awkward.
>>
My favorite Anderson films:

Fantastic Mr. Fox > Rushmore > Budapest > Life Aquatic > Royal Tenenbaums
>>
File: 'The Whole Family' .jpg (337KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
'The Whole Family' .jpg
337KB, 600x900px
>>
>>86641284
I went and watched that scene for you and there's nothing confusing about it for me

When Richie tells Royal that he needs help with something Royal agrees and tells Pagoda to go to the bottom via the radio, because they're going away so they can help Richie
And Royal cutting Richie off was that Royal didn't even need to hear what he needed help with, he was that eager and willing to help his son, the problem didn't matter if it was small or big or easy or difficult he just agreed instantly to help without extra thought needed
>>
File: last days of disco french cover.jpg (372KB, 1000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
last days of disco french cover.jpg
372KB, 1000x1500px
>>86640883
I love his stuff so much.
>>
>>86637980
This is without a question one of the most emotionally powerful films for me. Which is odd considering how "quirky" it intended to be, but somehow (well, mostly thanks to Murray of course) it became this surprisingly deep picture exploring the themes of team and leadership, age, family, etc.
>>
>>86637263
I like his movies they have this naivety and innocence in a good way and lot of optimism that lot of contemporary movies lack, there are moments of melancholy and sadness but even then the movies are cathartic and you don't feel sad after finishing the movie
Grand Budapest Hotel is probably his best work, the work of the actors is just fucking stellar
>>
Greenaway for the tumblr generation
>>
No.
>>
File: Basedlaban.jpg (24KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
Basedlaban.jpg
24KB, 480x270px
>>86642009
>the tumblr generation
His movies predate that shit by like 15 years which you'd know if you were over 18.
>>
>>86642073
a lot of what is popular on tumblr was not coexistent with it
>>
>>86642131
Well i guess you would know!
>>
>>86642210
stay mad, Andersonpleb. Greenaway shits all over your pastel-boy
>>
I've only seen Life Aquatic and Rushmore, I liked Life Aquatic more, but Rushmore definitely gets a pass in that it feels a lot more like a "breakout" film.

>>86637980
I really enjoyed how it balanced the kid-friendly Discovery Channel junior-scientist stuff with shit like stealing equipment and fighting off pirates. Trying to give the dead pirate an honorable Christian funeral but then dumping his body overboard when the crew they stole equipment from shows up.

It was cynicism done right in that it was never explicitly pushed in your face.
>>
>ctrl f
>no Bottle Rocket

Bottle Rocket is comfy as fuck.
>>
>>86637263
Everything he does is just pretty with no substance. Brand Gudapest being the worse case I've seen.
>>
>>86642684
>with no substance
This doesnt actually sound clever, anonymous.
>>
The Royal Tenenbaums > Moonrise Kingdom > The Life Aquatic > Rushmore > Fantastic Mr. Fox > The Grand Budapest Hotel > Bottle Rocket > The Darjeeling Limited
>>
>>86643359
How can you like both Royal Tenenbaums and Moonrise Kingdom? They're opposite extremes of style.
>>
>>86642684
>Everything he does is just pretty with no substance.
How to spot 'cynicism is so cool and nothing will get past my defenses if I just think everything's shit' millenial in single sentence
Is being genuine really such alien concept to you that you can't find anything from Andersons movies but pretty pictures?
>>
File: adidas zissou moonrise.jpg (125KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
adidas zissou moonrise.jpg
125KB, 640x640px
>>86643444
trips of truth
Also colors are triggering to the autistic who prefer Nolan grey.
>>
>>86643438
Because I don't have limited taste like you
>>
>>86643438
this is dumb
>>
>>86643438
That doesn't mean it's impossible to like both for different reasons, or impossible to appreciate both extremes.
>>
>>86637263
Only in hipster circles, and even then only his older films. I get why some people prefer his older films to his newer ones, but Moonrise Kingdom and The Grand Budapest Hotel are simply wonderful films anyone with a heart can enjoy.
>>
Moonrise Kingdom > The Grand Budapest Hotel > Fantastic Mr. Fox > Darjeeling Limited > The Life Aquatic
>>
>>86643962
>Darjeeling Limited > The Life Aquatic

Im a big fan, but i agree these are his two worst, least inspired films. Zissou the character never comes alive to me, it's just Bill Murray sulking, a lesser version of better performances in Broken Flowers, Rushmore, Lost in Translation.
>>
>>86644150
Life Aquatic has "quirky" and "funny" going for it. Why Darjeeling trumps even though it was a drag for the most of its running itme is because at the end it feels emotionally meaningful.
>>
>>86637628
The Royal Tenenbaums is where his traits as a director are more fleshed out. Almost all of his own clichés and type of characters are present.
>>
I feel like Wes Anderson threads are /tv/ at its best - way less needless hostility and virtue signalling. Just people talking about films they love.

I'm glad this place isn't entirely a victim of its cynicism desu
>>
>>86639387
Thanks, I will! Any suggestions for if I wanted something closer to his films with the stronger plots? (I agree about The Life Aquatic and Moonrise being his two best)

>>86639582
>>86640812
>>86640883
Thanks, guys!
>>
File: 1503148339384.jpg (1MB, 1564x1008px) Image search: [Google]
1503148339384.jpg
1MB, 1564x1008px
>>86643962
Moonrise Kingdom is his best movie
>>
Moonrise, Tennenbaums and Life Aquatic were the only ones I liked. Budapest just didn't do it for me.
>>
>>86646643
holy shit
>>
Grand Budapest Hotel is his most boring and stale pieces of work. Darjeeling Limited wasn't great, but at least yo could tell there was effort put into it. GBH was predictable and filled with characters devoid of any substance, beyond the plot devices.

Rushmore > Royal T > Moonrise. Others don't matter.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LIsY7_gkmY&t=5s
>>
>>86638968
https://letterboxd.com/dumbfrogposter/films/by/your-rating/
>>
Bottle Rocket > The Life Aquatic > Darjeeling > Royal Tenenbaums > the others (which are still great)
>>
>>86645224
/tv/ is at its best with threads that only have something to offer people who actually watch movies.
>>
i enjoy the films of wes anderson
>>
>>86638685
I wonder if he remembers me
Fucks me up everytime desu
>>
Its all style and no substance.
>>
>>86650645
With enough style you can create faux substance.
>>
>>86650478
I also do. I enjoy the Fantastic Mr Fox.
>>
>>86637637
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dMCHHHO2V0
>>
>>86641783
>tfw watched trailer for this just now
is this movie worth watching in order to learn how to dance at a discotheque?
>>
File: love-and-friendship.jpg (3MB, 3000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
love-and-friendship.jpg
3MB, 3000x2000px
>>86641783
Me too, he's fantastic. Like Anderson, able to create his own cinematic worlds of heightened reality. Metropolitan's posh New York comparable to the Tenenbaums' storybook version. Only recently listened to the Criterion commentaries with him and Eigeman and they're a lot of fun and really comfy. Love and Friendship, a dull title, was excellent.

>>86651152
Kinda, yea.
>>
>>86637263
Really enjoy the style here and the originality that goes into every movie.
Thread posts: 91
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.