[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does this episode trigger so many people?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 5

File: 09_02.png (267KB, 661x497px) Image search: [Google]
09_02.png
267KB, 661x497px
Why does this episode trigger so many people?
>>
>>86623457
because it was lulsorandumb instead of actually clever, witty, and satirical, like the best of the Simpsons episodes are (were)
>>
>>86623475

D'Oh
WHY YOU LITTLE
EAT MY SHORTS, MAN
DONT HAVE A COW
ARE WE THERE YET? ARE WE THERE YET?
BUURRRP

ajjajaa simpsons es super witty fun
>>
Because someone on the audio commentary said it was probably the start of things going down hill and an army of thinkpiece writing IRL comic book guys are incapable of having a solitary independent thought.
>>
>>86623547
Fuck off you mouth-breathing, shit-eating faggot.
>>
>>86623457
Because they took an established character and instead of expanding on him or his story, they ruined it all for a one episode gag. It's something you expect from a bottom of the barrel Family Guy episode.

Why did they just frame it as a hypothetical, or as Marge telling a story or something? That's how they always do experimental shit.
>>
The simpsons is just boring compared to family guy
>>
because they spent years building skinner as a war hero commander with PTSD
>>
>>86623457
Sneed
>>
>>86623457
Is that Chuck?
>>
>>86623457
They reject the idea that Skinner was formerly Tamzarian just like they reject the idea that Sneed's was formerly Chuck's. It ruines a well-established character for a one time gag.
>>
>>86623457
>people complain about this episode
>I'd better not hear what they have to say so that i can ask 4chan
>>
Seymour Skinner
Formerly Armin Tanzanian
>>
It's just kind of weidly easy to demonstrate how and why something went wrong, think of jar jar for phantom menace.
>>
>>86623557
why do people think this? watching the when it first came out i never thought this episode was the start of the end.
>>
>>86623457
It doesn't matter anymore. They made an episode years later that had "fake" Skinner inside Agnes' womb.
>>
File: gay.jpg (290KB, 1357x708px) Image search: [Google]
gay.jpg
290KB, 1357x708px
It's a meme. It caught on, and now everyone thinks it.
>>
>>86623831
it's kind of a 'can't see the forest for the trees' thing

>>86623835
jesus christ, why do i actually believe that is a real episode
>>
>>86623557
where 2 hear audio commentaries please
>>
>>86623457
The show is basically a "fuck you" to the Usenet crowd and continuity-obsessed nerds, and they didn't like that
>>
>>86623868
buy the dvd's faggot
>>
>>86623900
All that does is put money in the hands of the current Simpsons
>>
>>86623457
just a point break for some people and a pure scully episode
>>
>>86623927
most artists burn out and end up making shit, the only way to stop this is to die young. they sitll made one of the best shows of all time, i tihnk they serve your $20.

that being said, there was a torrent link of the simpsons w/ commentary (s1-12?) that's been floated in these threads before.

>>86623886
I don't htink that's the problem, the comic book character is hilarious, we are able to laugh at ourselves. The material and subject just wasn't handled in a way that made an entertaining and funny episode. It felt cheap and lazy.
>>
>>86623854
http://simpsons.wikia.com/wiki/Boy_Meets_Curl
>>
remember when Seymour used his green beret training he learned in the military to beat up the disney copyright lawyers
>>
>>86623831

Primarily, because some guy who worked in it said it, that's my point. All this shit about 'ruined muh character' is mostly post ad hoc reasoning. People act like Skinner was an integral character or had some grandiose lore interwoven throughout the series. As i recall the only other major episode prior to this dedicated to him, that being the episode where he gets fired (there are probably more, but likely only 1-2).
>>
>>86623831
You weren't even born yet faggot.
>>
>>86623658
Ugghh, this is worse than that time I met [Celebrity name here]

>HURR DURR HUEE HUEE I'M [Celebrity name here]!
>>
>>86624001
>>86623854
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi7-Fmx-pJA
>>
People hated it because it was the first time The Simpsons truly jumped the shark. Skinners character was informed by his background and when you strip that away and make it all a lie you change what the character is
>>
>>86624087
Kek, reminds me of when this episode came out. Finnish media went crazy, because our capital city got mentioned
>>
>>86624070
This.
>>
>>86624037
He was an integral character, he was the opposite of bart, they guy who got in the way of barts mischief, they guy who handed barts punishment down.
He was a strict hardass because he was a military guy who saw some shit in Vietnam, this was always alluded to.
This episode made him the exact same as bart, but was just pretending to be strict the entire time just because idk randum lol
>>
>>86624159
You're a real faggot anon.
>>
>>86624216
He's right though
>>
File: 1503049334949.jpg (6KB, 185x180px) Image search: [Google]
1503049334949.jpg
6KB, 185x180px
I C E
C O L D
R A P E
>>
>>86624226
The correct answer had already been given
>>
I just realized that i've been arguing over this for like ~10 years straight on 4chan
>>
The first truly awful episode is a Fish Called Selma

I know people like it for meme musicals but it was really zombie-tier. Repeat of an old plotline they'd done many times, awful pacing, Family-guy tier "look, this character you like has sex with fish" gags repeated over and over, aka humor that relied on some rediculous premise rather than clever writing.
>>
>>86623900
>2017
>dvds
>>
>>86624522
Do you have a problem with dvds faggot?
>>
>>86624159

Or he was pretending to be strict to instill in bart the discipline that failed to be imprinted on 'Armin' as a youth, leading to him being a reckless tough in his early 20s-30s that gets drafted into vietnam, to instill the values that his commanding officer, Skinner, had inspired in him during their war service.

> "muh deeb emoshnul stories, fuck subtext in a cartoon booooo"
t. Literally you.
>>
>>86624612
>>86624159

Also, doesn't this just give more evidence and drive the 'fractured war hero' element from his previous characterizations? A man who literally lives the life of his wartime commander day in day out?

I've honestly never understood this bullshit rationalization from retarded neckbeard stroking fucktards who heard about the audio commentary acting like this was some unholy affront of an episode.
>>
>>86624593
fuck you must be poor if you STILL have to rely on dvd's
>>
>>86624828
No one said you have to rely on them youngfag but they're still a good option to have.
>>
>>86624828

> wah wah where are muh audio commentaries.
> pfft wtf why would you ever need dvds lul.
>>
>>86624879
>youngfag
>implying caring about picture quality is an inherently young people thing
lmaoing at ur eyesight
>>
>>86624916
>not having access to private trackers with all sorts of iso's
wewlad
>>
I liked it. I personally thought it was really funny how everyone realized they fucking hate the real Skinner so they send him away.
>>
>>86624929
>proving my point
>>
>>86623557
How to know someone is a true autist: they think all opinions come from some literal who doing a shitty youtube video. The idea has to exist beforehand for the youtube to do an easy pandering video you /t "RLM stick your dick in my ass please" v/ autists.
>>
>>86623606
He completely blew you the fuck out.
>>
>>86624997
That sounds more like a 90s born queer than an autist
>>
>>86624997

Are you fucking retarded? I pointed out it's from a fucking Commentary track that likely predates youtube retards and their videos. Where the fuck did i mention youtube you god damned nut.
>>
File: 43546454.png (208KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
43546454.png
208KB, 500x375px
>>86623457
This scene redeems it
>>
>>86624087
huh, the animation is still kind of watchable at this point.

The very most recent episodes are flash animation 2005 tier
>>
>>86623457
>let's forget this episode actually happened
>k
then why do it?
>>
>>86626980

this episode has great lines...shame about the Skinner thing.
>>
>>86623547
Other than D'oh, almost all of those were never said unironically past the first two seasons, only in marketing and merchandise
>>
File: bait.png (57KB, 166x117px) Image search: [Google]
bait.png
57KB, 166x117px
>>86623658
>>
Because the author of Zombie Simpsons said so.

>>86623557
What are you talking about? Nobody in the real DVD commentary for the episode said "this episode marked the downfall of The Simpsons". Why would they say that about their own work? Oakley and Weinstein were defending the episode.
>>
>>86629203
Eat my shorts and cowabanga were said like once in the entire series.
>>
https://discord(dot)gg/CcvWS2
Sneed?
>>
>>86623475
The "this was when the Simpsons started getting silly" meme is a load of bullshit.
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.