[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did this hit too close to home for you?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 5

Did this hit too close to home for you?
>>
>>86561267
people say it's hard to follow, but i'm not people
>>
>>86561267
This and Inside Llewyn Davis are the essential what the fuck am I doing with my life core films.

I would imagine almost every oldfag on the site can relate to them more than they would like.
>>
>>86561466
Doubt it. Big part of his character is that he's a huge literal cuckold.
>>
>>86561608
That's not people here?

I'd look at those films as being about giving up on your dreams, too. Which is what everyone here has done. To some degree. Dreams of family, success, happiness, etc.
>>
Why would someone willingly choose to watch something that makes them miserable?
>>
>>86561267
Philip Seymour Hoffman should play Bannon
>>
how do i pronounce that word
>>
>>86561944
He could play Bruce Forsyth at this point
>>
>>86561973
It says in the picture.
>>
>>86561875
ÜBERMENCH LEBEN
>>
>>86561267
I actually enjoy post modernist shit a lot so I enjoyed it quite a bit
>>
>>86562002
What the fuck? What a terrible name for a film, sounds absolutely horrible both in speech and thought. It was at least passable when I pronounced it "Sigh-nah-doke" New York.
>>
I know this is the popular scene, but I don't think most people can actually engage with what the guy's saying. Unless they're a lonely, miserable person themselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9PzSNy3xj0
>>
>>86562114
How is it post-modern?
>>
>>86562146
>Implying it's even slightly accessible

The title is a minor issue. The fact that it's long, uneventful, and relentlessly bleak is what makes it inaccessible.
>>
>>86562148
Fuck I need to take responsibility and do something with my life
>>
>>86561267
His hairline progression was the nail in the coffin for me
>>
>>86562148
Too bad he's overacting.
>>
>>86562218
Have you ever read a post modernist book?
>>
>>86562293
You won't though. You know that you won't. None of us ever will.

>>86562347
Isn't that the point? He's acting as someone acting (who may be acting as someone acting as someone who is acting).
>>
This >>86561466

That dream that you have will not come off. You're not as talented as you think you are, or as clever, or as good a person.

Your choice is to become one with your mediocrity or be miserable for all of your life, resenting your lack of success and blaming it on others not giving you the opportunity.
>>
>>86562391
>Isn't that the point? He's acting as someone acting (who may be acting as someone acting as someone who is acting).

Fine, you have a point. I'm going to watch this again tonight. First night I have away from my gf in a year.
>>
>>86562352
No. I want to hear your explanation, or link me to an article or something. Teach me stuff.
>>
So, what's the message of the film anyway?
>>
File: adaptation.jpg (31KB, 480x326px) Image search: [Google]
adaptation.jpg
31KB, 480x326px
no, but this did
>>
>>86562644
start living your life because you're going to die full of regret if you don't. at least that was what I personally took from it. the film reminded me a lot of The Notes of Underground.
>>
>>86561711
Speak for yourself cuck. I ironically have a qt wife and a great paying job I love doing. I only come here when I bored to shitpost.

I know you think I'm lying too because you simply can't imagine people being happy, that's why it's so fun :^)
>>
>>86562558
Just read a few pages of this
https://www.google.com.pe/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://swornfriends.com/Common/ueditor/net/upload/51/2013-06-25/58E22EC9BFFED2BF.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwic7LLS5uHVAhWI0iYKHX9DAs0QFggjMAA&usg=AFQjCNFef5VHJcGRsQSzgLqpI0G-WIHpFQ
>>
Yes. The movie has some really preachy dialogue at points but some of the lines really get to me. The Priest's speech is just depressing.
>>
It's a great movie but no, Manchester by the Sea resonated alot more to me. losing everything, and just kinda existing in your depressive state

Hope you're well OP
>>
>>86562673
Kaufman is the master of making miserable films
>>
I can relate more than ever right now

I've just got a job that's perfect for me, it's the sort of thing I always wanted. I've been successful in my education, and in most of the things I've done. So why does it still feel empty?
>>
>>86562146
It's a play on words.
>>
>>86562218
It sucks and was made by self-obsessed white losers. Postmodernism sucks and was made by self-obsessed white losers.
>>
>>86563383
>white losers

The loser part is redundant, anon
>>
It hit me so hard I can't watch the movie again, you know? It just felt like I retrieved everything I possibly could from that one watch, and the thing is that it has been years now and I barely remember anything, but I know, whenever I think about it, that I can't hope to get anything from a revisit.
>>
>>86563383
Maybe that's why it speaks to people on this site so well. Everyone here is that.
>>
File: IMG_4112.png (89KB, 363x475px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4112.png
89KB, 363x475px
This film is is just pure jewish nihilism

Utter mind poison to any poor sap that was told to watch it by their arty friends.
>>
File: uh oh.jpg (173KB, 1280x690px) Image search: [Google]
uh oh.jpg
173KB, 1280x690px
>>86562471
UH OH
>>
>>86561466
Inside Llewyn Davis is such absolute shit I have no idea why anyone talks about it, ever. Worst Cohen I've ever seen, I love 20th century music and Bob Dylan and what have you, but that fucking movie is trash.
Just fuckin explain to me what I'm supposed to be seeing in it. I'm 27.
>>
>>86563571
There's no hope for you.

It's quite clear, really. It's a film about failure, and how principles just make a person into an insufferable asshole that everyone hates.
>>
House on fire is the greatest metaphor for a troubled home ever put on screen.
>>
>DUDE LIFE IS MEANINGLESS SHORT AND PAINFUL LMAO
>>
>>86563679
>tfw normies don't get it and just think it's wacky
>>
>>86562887
right on, brother
>>
I bet you're all INTPs
>>
>>86562673
i saw this the other day for the first time, so well made.
>>
>>86563816
Which is the meme horoscope that's intelligent and nihilistic but with a wicked sense of humor?
>>
>>86561973
Sin-neh-dokey
>>
>>86563650
Alright I see it now, thanks for helping me out.
I used to think I had principles and it really did make me into a huge asshole, I'm just lucky that the people I knew didn't start to hate me. I now know years later that I didn't have any principles at all.
>>
>>86563711
Well it is pretty meaningless unless you can tell yourself a good enough story. Meaninglessness isn't a bad thing though.
Also life is bound to become painful for everyone at different times in different ways.
Sometimes life is even too long for people.
>>
>>86563816
Full blown INFP reporting in.
>>
>>86563816
ENFP-T, dookie.
>>
People watch this movie and just see it as depressing. While yes, it is, I don't think the movie is saying life itself is depressing. Life becomes depressing when you obsess over your mortality/anxieties and hole yourself up. The ending of the movie is sweet because Caden realizes it at the last second
>>
>>86561875
My thoughts exactly watching this or any other movie of this sort
>>
>>86562148

This is the one that fucked me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsY8-V8c7EA
>>
>>86561973
Sneed-duh-chuck-ee Joo York
>>
>>86564551
The woman in that scene is what emphasises the message of the film too. What does she say, really? Nothing at all. It's the sort of hollow assurances that people give out of guilt and duty without really thinking.
>>
What fucked with me about this movie is that everything is fake. He tries to understand his life by building a fake representation of it, but he finds no meaning in that, and so builds a fake representation of that play and still finds no meaning because moments of catharsis (like the pastors speech) are just actors reciting lines; they aren't real. By the end you don't even know what's real and what's part of the play.

His whole life is the same way; for instance, every time he thinks he's found everlasting love it turns out to be a lie etc.
>>
>>86564385
This. Message of the film is that life is too short so stop worrying about pointless shit and enjoy it.
>>
>>86565296
Or that that's the case for everyone, and that everyone views other people as characters rather than people with their own fucked up sense of being. Every person is their own protagonist.
>>
As I was watching it I thought "I should rewatch it and analyze it". Then he switched genders and it confused the fuck outta me so I didn't bother
>>
The part where Larry David killed himself was weird
>>
>>86565627
The whole film was weird. I think that part was representing how self absorbed Caden is.
>>
no, I floss daily
>>
>>86561466
>what the fuck am I doing with my life core films.
>I would imagine almost every oldfag on the site can relate to them more than they would like.
"The Jolly Corner," the seminal "I wasted my life" short story.
>>
>>86561267

No. The ideas expressed and then streamlined later in Anomalisa strike me as being part of a societal slump built by our own hand versus the inescapable thing it's always presented as. I wish more movies or books would start asking what causes this versus just kicking around in its feelings. This movie, Infinite Jest, Bo Burnham's "Make Happy," and other popular media follow the same trajectory at their core without ever looking beyond their own assholes. The execution is nice, but the message has grown predictable and unconvincing.

That said, I loved the movie as it was. The ending was perfect.
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.