[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Paul Thomas Anderson

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4

File: Paul_Thomas_Anderson_2007_crop.jpg (738KB, 869x1122px) Image search: [Google]
Paul_Thomas_Anderson_2007_crop.jpg
738KB, 869x1122px
Is he one of the most underrated directors?

>There Will Be Blood
>Magnolia
>Boogie Nights
>The Master
>...

Pure kino.
>>
>>86556137
I don't think he's underrated, pretty much everyone agrees he's one of the best.
>>
>>86556180
But he consistently puts out great films yet if you look on "great director" lists he is rarely mentioned. Hacks like tarantino are ranked higher than him.
>>
>>86556137

No, he's extremely overrated by the crowd of people who have never seen a film made before the 1980s and that's not in English. They're so used to hollywood blockbuster and mindless schlock that PTA's films leaves them shook because it never crossed their minds that movies could be art. At least he's not as awfully overrated as Wes Anderson.
>>
>>86556513
Gr8 b8 I r8 it 8/8
>>
>>86556590
>triggered
Im sure I described you perfectly.
>>
File: john-c-reilly-magnolia.jpg (38KB, 638x275px) Image search: [Google]
john-c-reilly-magnolia.jpg
38KB, 638x275px
>>86556137
I think this character is the definition of a good man. The man we should all strive to be.
>>
>>86556513
But he's the real deal. It's not "mind-blowing" he's just a very good writer and filmmaker. Yes, there are other good writers and filmmakers out there too, but that doesn't diminish the quality of his films. Get over yourself
>>
>>86556137
He's amazing and he's in his prime right now. The Master and Inherent Vice are true modern masterpieces.
>>
>>86556180
>pretty much everyone agrees he's one of the best
No, not my experience at least.

>>86556513
Edgy comment.

>>86556417
This is what I mean.
>>
>>86556633
You just sound like a dick.
>it never crossed their minds that movies could be art
*tips fedora*
>>
>>86556663

>The Master
>good

He has great films but they are extremely overrated by people who havent seen much of anything. The OP asks if he's underrated and the answer is a resounding NO. He gets far more praise and buzz that filmmakers of far more merit.
>>
>>86556417
Tarantino is far from hack even though he's not as good. Tarantino has some really rare qualities like choosing the right actor, even reviving careers. Can you believe nobody knew Christoph Waltz before Tarantino showed his talent in a role that he wrote for him? That's a very rare talent.
>>
>>86556744
>The Master and Inherent Vice are true modern masterpieces.

You see? This is exactly what I'm talking about. This guy has probably never seen a film made outside of LA.
>>
>>86556137
He's one of the most praised directors of his generation.
>>
>>86556779
>He gets far more praise and buzz that filmmakers of far more merit.
Name 5 st.
>>
>>86556891
Easy. Fincher, Tarantino, Villeneuve, Wright, González Iñárritu.
>>
>>86556891

If we're talking living filmmakers?

Wong Kar
Varda
Mike Hoolboom
Jodorowsky
Oliviera

>inb4 pretentious
>>
>>86557101

Nevermind, apparently Oliviera died in 2015 at the age of 106.

I'll replace him with Amit Dutta
>>
>>86557101
It's not a bad list, but if you're an american you should kill yourself.
>>
>>86557606

Well, im not. But if you are, you should make an effort to transcend your shit culture of cheap thrills and quips (/tv/ thinks this is a capeshit phenomenon, but anyone that has seen any 40s noir, westerns, or any Wilder film can tell you quips are an ever present element of American filmmaking)
>>
>>86557716
You mean humor, in any form, is just a cliche of American filmmaking?
>>
>paul thomas anderson
>underrated
get back to r/movies you fuck
>>
>>86557716
You are embarrassing yourself now son. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing you hat tipping autist.
>>
>>86556805
tarantino is great at what he does but he seems like somewhat oof a one trick pony to me,even shit like django or inglorious bastards is treaded in this lighthearted/humourous 70s way
>>
I can smell the virgin, autistic fat lard.
>>
>>86557946

>Quips = humor
Sire thing, buddy. I bet you burst a ling everything Captain America says "Language!"

>>86558020
Typical American anti-intellectualism. Why not just call a nerd like those HILARIOUS 80s film, huh?
>>
>>86558358
Europe is like America's bitter older brother. You cling to your "superior taste" in the arts, because it's the only area subjective enough that your inferiority can't be objectively proven.
>>
>>86558358
M8 I'm European you just sound like a try hard clown. Someone with a real intellect wouldn't need to reveal I'm mocking others. They wouldn't even be on 4chan.
>>
>>86558465

Western Europe has higher quality of life, a better educated citizenry, better infrastructure and ultimately all of your "culture" derives from here. Your religion, your language, your institutions, your government, etc. You basically stole your constitution from a Frenchman. America was an experiment that was highly succesful for a while, but has reached a wall. Also, your best scientist were either German or Russian expats. Russia won WW2, Nazi Germany would've destroyed you 1v1. The one thing that by all measure America will always be best at is Propaganda. Although the Brits pioneered your brand of propoganda.
>>
File: European Culture.jpg (665KB, 2000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
European Culture.jpg
665KB, 2000x1000px
>>86558683
A higher quality of life (according to our governments), a better educated citizenry (according to our standards of education), and why yes, I'm still living in the past and talking about World War II because it hurts so fucking much to look out the window and see what I've become today
>>
File: ff_carruth_large.jpg (1MB, 1500x2009px) Image search: [Google]
ff_carruth_large.jpg
1MB, 1500x2009px
>>86556137
>P.T.A
>underrated

Did you get There Will Be Blood for your fourteenth birthday, anon?
>>
>>86559022

America has had a way higher population displacement than Europe.
>>
>>86556137
He's not underrated, but he is very good
>>
>>86556137
i unironically thought all of these movies were boring shit

am i pleb?
>>
TWBB gets overrated to hell and back by teenaged hipsters. It's just a knockoff of Citizen Kane.
>>
>>86556805
Christoph Waltz is a one-trick pony.
>>
>universal acclaim, best picture nominations, concensus top 25 film of the post-2000s among credible sources and plebs alike
>underrated

good fucking lord you're stupid dude
>>
>>86556805
Tarantino is a hack half of the time. The rest of the time he is a pretty good director.
>>
>>86556513
>They're so used to hollywood blockbuster and mindless schlock that PTA's films leaves them shook because it never crossed their minds that movies could be art.

You will stop writing that pathetic garbage once you realize what art is.
>>
>>86560830
Just like pegasus
>>
>>86557101
>Jodorowsky
I love his films and The Holy Mountain has to be one of my favorite movies but what the fuck dude.
>>
TWBB is a fucking awful movie. I don't think I could stomach a second viewing of that ever. The Master, Inherent Vice and Punch-Drunk Love were pretty solid though.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.