[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do the hobbit films compare to the LOTR trilogy? Worth watching?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7

How do the hobbit films compare to the LOTR trilogy? Worth watching?
>>
>>86496710
No
>>
>>86496936
fpbp
>>
Watch the fan edits, better than any of the films.
>>
>>86496710
Just saw the first movie again 2 days ago, is terrible how he stop the movie with all the epic nonsense dialog about nothing every 5 minutes
>>
>>86496710

It's an utter mess, one of the most disappointing cinematic experiences of my life, so much so that I pirated the last two films because I didn't want to give them any more money.

I found it so disappointing that it retroactively tainted my LotR experience.
>>
>>86496710
They don't
Hobbit movies are shit
All of them
Shit on shit
>>
Literally the only good thing is Based Balin.
>>
>>86496710
the first two hobbit movies are okay I guess, but pretty disappointing nonetheless
the 3rd one unironically is a 3/10 shitfest
>>
>>86499733
>the first two hobbit movies are okay

cringe
>>
File: the hobbit.webm (3MB, 800x334px) Image search: [Google]
the hobbit.webm
3MB, 800x334px
>>86496710
>How do the hobbit films compare to the LOTR trilogy?
Judge for yourself
>>
>>86499813
Surely this can't be real. Which hobbit film is this from?
>>
File: 1496332192845.png (564KB, 532x518px) Image search: [Google]
1496332192845.png
564KB, 532x518px
>>86499813
jesus christ I don't remember this at all, my mind must have gone blank at this point
>>
>>86499762
I'm not saying they are good movies, but you can watch them once
>>
>>86499867
>they're okay

You're part of the problem.
>>
reminder Peter Jackson was pressured into filling it with cringy action scenes to stretch it into 3 movies and there is a fan edit which removes these
>>
Maybe the first one for a sense of adventure.

No on the next two.

You can be happy without any of the trilogy. I did like the second one for certain reasons but I'm alone in that regard.
>>
>>86499906
what else should I say really, they are around 6/10 which is an "okay" movie imo
they are only truly horrible when you constantly compare them to LOTR
>>
>>86496710
Shit tier compared to LOTR, but they are 'passable' depending on your tollerance for cringe.

The good
>Extended edition turn the film into a shitty Hobbit trilogy into a passable LOTR prequel.
>Bilbo, Gandalf and some of the other characters are okay
>Seeing more of middle earth is good.

The bad
>So much cringe. Hahah this dwarf is fat, he is always eating! XD Omg this one has an axe in his head I'm literally dying XD omg troll snott ew lol XD
>The action scenes are either boring trash, video games (See: That legolass webm that is posted in every thread). There is zero feeling of a threat in any of the action because its all injected with super-human ability (Not just the elves) or distracting 'humor'
>The CGI somehow looks worse than a 10+ year old LOTR, some of it like the rabbit slay is laughably bad it looks like a workprint.
>Most of the dwarves are pointless, and those who speak are for the most part annoying
>LOTR had a perfect cast, and outside of returning characters (Bilbo) most of the cast is dire. Steven Fucking Fry playing Steven Fucking Fry, Barry Humphries playing himself as the Goblin King, James Nesbitt is just James Nesbitt phoning it in.

tl;dr Compared to the LOTR trilogy they ar enot even in the same league.
>>
>>86500025
>they are around 6/10

Holy shit. Stop posting immediately. Never post again. Cancel your internet access. Move to a remote island and never seek human interaction in any form whatsoever again.
>>
File: cox.jpg (19KB, 511x388px) Image search: [Google]
cox.jpg
19KB, 511x388px
>>86500065
>>
>>86500025
>they are only truly horrible when you constantly compare them to LOTR
As they should be.
>>
>>86500025
>they are around 6/10

you have to be 18 to post here
>>
>>86499844
>>86499847
Last one, it's in the extended edition, it's full of this kind of shit.
The hobbit was a childrens book but having all that comic relief shit in the same universe as LoTR is just sad.

Imagine LoTR in this style, Like a ringwraith getting it's robe stuck on a tree and having it trying to tug itself free for 10 seconds.
>>
>>86500065
>>86500122
>>86500146
they still have their soundtrack and great landscapes etc. some actually good scenes here and there, for example the one with gollum in the first one
you can hate the characters and stupid jokes and all that of course, but it's not like that they fail at everything
>>
>>86496710
You'll get disappointed in all regards. Even the soundtrack is shit and re-uses tracks 24/7.

>that misty mountain instrumental that gets used 50 times
>>
>>86500191

You have to be 18 to post here, ma'am.
>>
>>86496710
1: 6/10
2: 3/10
3: 1/10
>>
>>86500231
great argument, kill yourself
>>
>>86500238
>1: 6/10

cringe
>>
I bought all the Hobbit art books because at the very least some talented artists worked on concepts and creature design.
>>
>>86500246

Your vagina has no power here, ma'am.
>>
>>86500275
>wahh wahh stop having different opinions than me
grow up
>>
File: 1432031470420.jpg (34KB, 285x242px) Image search: [Google]
1432031470420.jpg
34KB, 285x242px
>>86500206
>that misty mountain instrumental that gets used 50 times

That's the main themesong of the films. There are plenty of legitimate complaints about this shitty trilogy but the music isn't one of them. Go back and rewatch the LotR and count how many times they play Concerning Hobbits or one of its variations.
>>
File: tampon 2.jpg (188KB, 822x462px) Image search: [Google]
tampon 2.jpg
188KB, 822x462px
>>86500305

Here, use this.
>>
>>86500252
Stop saying cringe you fucking Redditor.
>>
>>86500316
The difference was that it was used in transitory scenes meanwhile the Misty Mountain instrumental was used every single time something "bombastic" happened.

Imagine the Bridge of Khazad-Dúm playing every time something like that happens. There's like 3 instances where Bridge of Khazad-Dúm and it's variations played

>The Ents attacking Isengard
>The Uruks attacking Helms Deep
>Rohirrim charging the Orc line in Minas Tirith
>Aragorn charging the Orcs at the Black Gate
>Eowyn killing the Witch King
>>
>>86500362
>why do people ridicule me for having retarded opinions
>waaah, waaaaah
>muh fee fees
>>
>>86496710
Jackson was only given a year to make all three films and originally had only planned on making 2. The originally trilogy was made over 2 years
>>
I feel like the hobbit trilogy was made just for me. I loved them all.

They aren't LOTR, it's a childrens book. And as an "epic" childrens movie it works great.
>>
>>86500337
that's rich coming from some immature manchild
you can't even bring at least some kind of argument, just your butthurt feelings. if anyone is a woman here it's you
>>
The most frustrating this about these movies is there are great parts sprinkled throughout, but just so much shit that they're not worth it. Freeman was a great Bilbo and the riddle scene with Gollum is kino.
>>
>>86497048
that fan edit that combines all 3 into a single 4 hour film is pretty neat
but nothing can save it from all the half-assed cgi
>>
>>86500594
Considering that Jackson only wanted to make 2 films it makes sense that you could nearly half the trilogy's run time and still end up with 2 full length movies.
>>
>>86496936
/thread
>>
>>86500404
Yeah point taken. I haven't actually seen the Hobbit films in a few years so I'm probably forgetting just how bad it is.
>>
okay movies. not as bad as people here say, but doesn't compare to lotr. worth a watch if you like the genre.
>>
>>86500504

You have to be 18 to post here, little girl.
>>
>>86500921
>okay movies. not as bad as people here say

cringe
>>
>>86501134
>cringe

cringe
>>
>>86501117
thanks for proving my point
>>
>>86501346

Little girl, it's past your bedtime.

>>>/mpl/
>>
>>86496710
On their own they're okayish. An unexpected journey has a lot of fun moments and I liked their take on the troll scene. 3rd one is pretty garbage though.

You can't really compare it to lotr because lotr is just so good, and the main issue with the hobbit was that it tried so hard to compare itself to lotr. The Hobbit is a goofy little kids story with goofy kids stuff, and the action sequences are very silly.
It's a kid's film. Try to remember that.

>>86500050
I think in it's defence, it'd be very difficult to make all 13 dwarves have unique and fleshed out roles. The only way to do that would be to decrease the number of dwarves and that would just make people really angry. They also didn't have much unique personality in the books, either.

And it's a kids film, so cringe is to be sort of expected.
>>
>>86502042
>books
>>
>>86496710
just watch on youtube Cucumberbatch's performance as Smaug, only thing worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXN9IHrnVVU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LxBx2Z0I6s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n59mG9_X35Q
>>
The Hobbit movies are disjointed and trite and the big action scenes veer way over the line into schmaltz every. time. The extended cuts iron out the pacing issues into a passable torpor but magnify the other problems. Lord of the Rings in contrast was good in the theater and had competent extended cuts. Also, while making Arwen an active character mostly worked, Tauriel is just forced.
>>
>>86496710
Watch the maple films edit and you're golden
>>
>>86496710
Unexpected journey isn't all bad. The stuff in the shire is comfy as ever, and riddles in the dark is great.
Desolation of smaug has a few decent parts. Mostly bilbo in the mountain.
Battle of five armies is just [fart noise], except when Lee Pace is chewing scenery.
The lord of the rings is superior in almost every way.
>>
>>86500050
>Most of the dwarves are pointless
That's pretty faithful to the source material though. In the book it was thorin, balin, the fat one, and the rest. That's literally the extent of the characterization in the book.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.