[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

alien covenant

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 8

File: 1.jpg (24KB, 600x315px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
24KB, 600x315px
I know I'm late but I finally got around to watching this since it came out on redbox. I didn't actually think it was that bad as everyone says.
good parts:
-good visuals, nice scenery
-david's autism because he's a robot
-david and walt's interaction due to david's autism
-david and walt's fight scene
-kinda like the scene where the albinos are decimated because it at least tried to connect to the previous movie
bad parts:
-useless crew and characters, nobody is likable. they could have done something interesting with the 1st captain who was insecure (mentions nobody likes him as captain) but it went nowhere. also thought the two long haired brunettes were the same character. short haired girl is bland.
-ridley uses the same plot tactic as prometheus where a boyfriend/girlfriend dies and causes their partner to act unreasonable TWICE. makes the crew look like retards who can't stick to guidelines
-cliche where ship is hijacked/broken so nobody can leave
-ALL THE ALIENS ARE CGI
-all the aliens are REEEE monsters and not silent but deadly killers
[continued]
>>
-weird discontinuity with the black alien bursting out of the guys chest with how the alien chestburster is supposed to look? not sure if this was intentional but it looked weird
-david and the chestburster alien communicating?/raising his arms in the air
-david being overly emotional/evil.
-david's philosophical rants should have been more subdued
-nobody on the crew thinks it's weird that there's humanoid ashes all around
-nobody on the crew is suspicious of david and allows david and walter to hang out for too long
-doesn't make sense for david to kill the prometheus aliens rather than allow aliens to merge with them
- dead shaw
-unnecessary sex scene that felt like a scene from a b-movie
-evil ending, which really sticks out to me because in none of the previous alien movies do the characters lose (never watched resurrection so correct me if I'm wrong). the movies end on a good note.

now some questions I have, are the white aliens just the result of humans merging with the pesticide? and david created the eggs/pesticide? why did david kill the albinos?
did the camera focus on david's arm at the end because, unlike walt, he doesn't have regeneration abilities? why is ridley scott a hack?
>>
>>86494175
it was decent
>>
>>86494417
thanks for your thoughts
>>
I liked the part where the black guy had sex with the white girl
>>
David and fassbender in general was brilliant. The flaws are all ultimately down to fox interfering, they are to blame for the nonsensical black goo and engineers then suddenly no engineers and all aliens. Its a mess of a studio.
>>
>>86494239
Walt cant reproduce hands, just small repairs. He will be less advanced than ash or bishop.
>>
Maybe I'm autistic but did anyone else notice that wound where David got stabbed under his chin was missing?
I kept trying to get a peak for an obvious giveaway but when he was looking down at Daniels in the sleep pod there was nothing there
>>
another good point is the soundtrack
I like some good old Wagner for maximum nazi vibes
https://youtu.be/b80Jw8MuZxo

>>86495331
he covered it someway I think
one nice detail is that David has a little scar above his lip that Walt hasn't, which you can still notice in the latest scenes where he's in disguise
>>
I didnt really get the hate either. I feel like its just a meme at this point with people throwing a hissy fit over it being new. Prometheus was a great movie and this is at least decent, arguably better. People are so far up their own ass thinking that Alien and Aliens were infinitely superior that theyll never acknowledge any other entries.
>>
As someone who loved Prometheus, I was sadly very underwhelmed and disappointed by this. In fact, I think I feel about this the way most people seem to feel about Prometheus. Had high hopes, but it felt really anti-climactic, disjointed, and even Fassbender, who was the best actor by far, actually became a bit too pretentiously yet laughably hammy. It was too predictable and the parts after they leave the planet towards the end felt really tacked on, like they came from some studio mandated reshoots and rewrites to check the "Xenomorph on a space ship scenes" box. I think in hindsight, I would have preferred just not knowing about the Engineers or where the Xenomorphs came from to begin with. Having it be the result of David genociding the Engineers with their own nonsensical magic goo (even if it is one of the more interesting scenes in the film) and experimenting on poor Shaw is just kind of shit and makes them way less interesting and cool. The ending is pretty dark and fucked up though, can't decide if it's in a good way though. Still had some cool bits, I'd give it a 6.5/10 overall, but could have been a lot better.
>>
So, did David kill Walter or did they simply switch places and Walter stayed on the planet willingly?
>>
File: frodo.png (214KB, 400x399px) Image search: [Google]
frodo.png
214KB, 400x399px
why didn't they put on a hazmat suit or something like that?
>>
>>86494175
>-ALL THE ALIENS ARE CGI

Actually most are practical and just touched up with CGI, which annoyingly gives them the look of CGI.

This seems quite common these days for some reason
>>
>>86496125
Studio mandated reshoots define the two films, all the original scripts actually made sense and then got absolutely fucked by fox. It really bothers me because david was phenomenal and shows what could have been. The xeno on the ship is just odd, especially with how quickly the facehugger implanted it.
>>
>>86497621
>The xeno on the ship is just odd

The film would have been so much better if the third act was scrapped altogether. It was like an entire rehash of Alien squeezed into 10-minutes and bolted onto the end of the film.

The film should have ended with the amazing chestburster scene with David overlooking and the spare time used at the start to get to know the dozen or so characters.
>>
File: Daniels.jpg (66KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
Daniels.jpg
66KB, 720x480px
Who thought this was a good idea?
>>
>>86497789
Well it should have included david on the colony ship, all the sleeping colonists with david regurgitating facehuggers made the film end on a high.
>>
>>86494175
>-ALL THE ALIENS ARE CGI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ah2oALAk0Y
>>
>>86494175
>good parts:
>david and walt's fight scene

555-COME-ON-NOW
>>
>>86497435
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBzpT7VmSaU

never forget
>>
>>86494913
But that wasn't in the movie.
>>
>>86496024
>People are so far up their own ass thinking that Alien and Aliens were infinitely superior
But they were.
>>
>>86498927
Why did they fuck this up with CGI? Why couldn't they just keep the practical effects?
>>
http://www.avpgalaxy.net/2017/08/15/avpgalaxy-exclusive-john-logan-alien-covenant-script/

>energy shield around the planet that the Covenant blows up a satellite to disable
>Walter had a room full of spare parts so David can just pop a new hand on
>the way Daniels figures out it's David, not Walter, is better ("lol what song?" instead of David refusing to just say "sure, a cabin, whatever. sleep tight.")
>non-Black Goo-infected wildlife instead of the "it's quiet. TOO QUIET." thing
>MU-TH-UR sassing Walter
>David getting Oram to stick his face in an egg is more plausible

etc.
>>
File: what the fuck is that.jpg (1MB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
what the fuck is that.jpg
1MB, 1080x1080px
>>
File: al.jpg (140KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
al.jpg
140KB, 1440x1080px
>>86499610
>Al's son
>>
>>86494175
Let's hope it kills the franchise
>>
>>86494175
Better than Prometheus IMO, still shares a lot of the same flaws though.

I think the David/Walter stuff is worth continuing the story.
>>
>>86494175
pretty bad unfortunately, the ending was good though and saved the movie desu. I'm keen for a sequel.
>>
>>86500090
>>86501727
plebs
>>
prometheus got a lot better over time as i re-watched it several times. i don't have that feel with covenant. it's just not as interesting without the engineers. the setting isn't as interesting either (too much in david's cave etc.) where as in prometheus you'd spend most time on the alien ship or on the spaceship both of which were very well made.

ridley is a master at creating a good alien atmosphere though. you always feel drawn into the alien universe. the environments look great.

i'm not a big fan of david being the creator of the xenomorphs. it loops everything back to humans which i dislike. was hoping it was just some engineer creation that went bad. wanted to see more of the whole "we made humans but now we want to destroy you" arc. perhaps even some kind of 'civil war' of engineers fighting over whether or not humanity should be destroyed.
>>
>>86494175
I'll address the bad parts:
>useless crew and characters,
what do you mean, at least admit they added the scale of tragedy of people being killed and the main characters being left alone far from home
>nobody is likable.
Why do you need likeable characters to be killed?
>they could have done something interesting with the 1st captain who was insecure but it went nowhere.
Like what, have a gangbang?
>also thought the two long haired brunettes were the same character.
That's just your lack of attention.
>short haired girl is bland
I think it was intentional to put more attention to the androids
>ridley uses the same plot tactic as prometheus where a boyfriend/girlfriend dies
What is wrong with using it again?
>and causes their partner to act unreasonable TWICE.
What was unreasonable? They analyze and plan a lot to be honest.
>makes the crew look like retards who can't stick to guidelines
They improvise under huge pressure and sometimes in fear. You can't expect everyone to be like robots.
>cliche where ship is hijacked/broken so nobody can leave
Why do you call it a cliche? You predicted it? It was expected and actually many people wanted it, it's great to see how a rescue ship descends from orbit to the surface, it was dramatic and gave the scene a great scale.
>ALL THE ALIENS ARE CGI
So fucking what, making them practical wouldn't make you believe in the movie more, you know there aren't aliens like this in real life.
>all the aliens are REEEE monsters and not silent but deadly killers
Stop using memes as arguments. And it's an action movie, so the philosophical part could be implemented with balance.
>>
>>86494239
>weird discontinuity with the black alien bursting out of the guys chest with how the alien chestburster is supposed to look? not sure if this was intentional but it looked weird
If you're not sure what to think then don't call it a flaw.
>David and the chestburster alien communicating?/raising his arms in the air
What is wrong with it?
>david being overly emotional/evil.
It was explained in the movie.
>david's philosophical rants should have been more subdued
How would it help with anything?
>nobody on the crew thinks it's weird that there's humanoid ashes all around
>nobody on the crew is suspicious of david and allows david and walter to hang out for too long
How do you know how long that was? Or maybe were you just nervous as the director intended?
>doesn't make sense for david to kill the prometheus aliens rather than allow aliens to merge with them
>dead shaw
What about it?
>unnecessary sex scene that felt like a scene from a b-movie
Well it still works with making the viewer anxious. Also music is used in b-movies, so what...
>evil ending, which really sticks out to me because in none of the previous alien movies do the characters lose (never watched resurrection so correct me if I'm wrong). the movies end on a good note.
First you complain about Scott repeating himself, now you demand copy-paste endings. How are you reliable as a reviewer if no solution is right for you? This last rant is just a pile of shit, man.
>>
>>86498654
you can tell they only used it for reference and cgi'd all over it in post production
>>
>>86498654
40 years and they couldn't recreate H.R Giger's suit
>>
>>86494239
>-evil ending, which really sticks out to me because in none of the previous alien movies do the characters lose (never watched resurrection so correct me if I'm wrong). the movies end on a good note.
Alien 3 ends on a downer, Covenant is very similar to 3, especially how they funnel the alien into a kill zone with airlocks and one of the protagonists assisting the Xeno due to insanity.
>>
>>86504413
>>86504445
calm down there buddy, no reason to get butthurt
>>
>>86503729
You sound like the shittest fanfic writer.
>>
I liked the music.

The sequence where the expedition team is heading back to the lander while shit is kicking off inside the lander then the expedition team are also dropped in the shit all while the sun goes down and the music ramps up was really great.
>>
Don't know if this is relevant but why does David's hair grow? I mean he's an android so was it really necessary to go through the trouble of adding that feature when they built him? Presumably his nails grow too then?
>>
>>86498927
Already knew what it was before I clicked. Such a tragedy.
>>
>>86496024
>I feel like its just a meme at this point with people throwing a hissy fit over it being new
With all the vitriol, you'd believe it was unwatchable.
>>
>>86496024
People got so up in arms about the flaws in Prometheus they couldn't wait to pounce on the new one.
Everybody's looking for problems so they can air their grievances cause they missed out on it last time.
>>
>>86494175
Why did David kill all the prometheuses?
>>
>>86508953
He wanted to be welcomed by his Gods and instead they tried to kill him, so he wanted revenge. He wiped them out and became his own god. No idea if Shaw went along with it or not.
>>
>>86507024

They took everything good in Prometheus and removed it. Shaw and the Engineers were good additions and worth exploring.

Instead David just decides to kill everyone and everything and dssects Shaw. It's dumb. If it wasn't a sequel, it wouldn't be bad. But it is. It's like if you found out at the beginning of Alien 3 that Bishop killed Ripley and used her to make Xeno babies.

Plus the entire crew was rather unlikable and the heroine completely forgettable. Oram following David, who he knows at that point is complicit in the monsters after he tries to protect one, into his mad laboratory and looking into the facehugger pod was one of the stupidest things ever written.
>>
>>86510108
And then the scene immediately after with the little Xenomorph baby imitating David's gestures as if praising him as a god is laughably retarded. Although I liked the way it bursts out of the guy's chest punctuating the dialogue in that scene, that was well done.
>>
So what happened to the other white proto-xenomorph? There were two attacking the survivors after the ship explosion and both run away when David shows up, but then only one enters the city and gets killed.
>>
>>86510629
the part that bugs me about the white xenos is that they are clearly behaviourly different than regular xenos but the movie just throws out the idea at the end anyway and we're probably not gonna see them again
>>
>>86496465
>did he stay willingly
Very much doubt it, anon, looks like David was about to shank him. Tbh I would have preferred us to see him kill Walter by stabbing/disnenbering him in a really extreme manner. I think it would have really been interesting to see how crazy David had become as opposed to the obvious swap
>>
>>86511790
Only reason I ask is because David asks "The choice is yours now brother, do you wish to remain a servant in heaven or to reign in hell?" then Walter pauses as if considering and then the scene cuts away. It felt ambiguous enough to imply a possibility that he chose it. Or perhaps even killed David but decided to become him and continue his work.
>>
>>86494175
>future civilization
>advanced technology
>interstellar space travel
>crew of highly trained professionals
>every other word they say is fuck

Nice to see that with all the advances humans make they still talk like subhuman nigger ghetto scum.
>>
>>86512345

I don't think that's the case but at least it would explain how Mother wasn't able to recognize it wasn't Walter or how David had his security codes.
>>
>>86506683
I thik they try to explain this away with his conversation with Walter and how Walter says that David's model was "too human" so they fixed it. The hair growing is probably one of the "too human" qualities he was given
>>
>>86509423
I didn't think it was clear that it was a revenge type of thing for David, it had something to do though with them "not being worthy over their creation" or something like that. Or at least that was his explanation against humans. Maybe he just took his feelings towards humans and applied it to the engineers. It could also be based on what Shaw told him happened to the engineer in Prometheus, the fact that she survived him attacking her, and then to hear that it was killed by an alien hybrid that he created maybe have made him deem them unworthy of life
>>
>>86510556
I just didn't like how quickly the alien burst out of him. I get that it is still a "prototype" alien but it seemed like the facehugger impregnated him, fell off, and the alien burst out of him in the span of 5-10 minutes as opposed to a few days
>>
>>86512925

It took a few hours in Alien, didn't it? It did seem quick, though.

Another thing that bugged me his how he infected the dude with acid burn on his face. He had the facehugger embryos (another problem), but it's suggested he injected it into him. Where'd he get more goo? He said earlier it was all gone.
>>
>>86513210
I thought it was a bit longer than a few hours, like at least a day since it latched onto him, they get him back to the ship, have him in the medbay, he wakes up, acts all normal, sits down to eat with everyone and then it bursts out. I assumed it was the "morning" after
>>
>>86513210
>Where'd he get more goo? He said earlier it was all gone.
When? His lab was full of the cannisters, probably from the cargo hold as opposed to the weapons bay.
>>
>>86513210
Is it possible that the facehugger latched onto him long enough to still impregnate him? Otherwise it doesn't make sense since the goo alone crated the albinos and the only way we saw something ;like the typical xenomorph was after the captain got impregnated by the facehugger
>>
>>86513371

I don't think it was days. Maybe 3-4 hours or so.

I remember they decided to eat before going back into stasis.

Either way I think your gripe is valid. He couldn't have been down more than an hour so so, which is way faster than normal.
>>
So did David have the message constantly playing in the hopes of luring people there? How long ago did he run out of life forms to experiment on? Did firebombing that one city take out all of the engineers on the planet or just in that one location?
>>
>>86513419

He said something about the creatures in his bestiary being all that was left of the original goo.

It aerosolized, killed the engineers, bugs fed on the corpses, infected other species. Basically the same thing as the seeding on Earth except reversed.

>>86513450

Maybe. I don't know, we don't see it's tube come out of his mouth. It's as good of an explanation as any as to how he got a xeno chestburster.

I say it's suggested he was injected because when he asks for a needle, David gives him a look.
>>
>>86513775
yea I figured that injection was how he got infected but it doesn't quite match up with how the different types of aliens are made
>>
>>86513726
>So did David have the message constantly playing in the hopes of luring people there?
That may have occurred to him as a remote possibility, but I suspect it was more likely he just through "why bother turning it off?".

>How long ago did he run out of life forms to experiment on?
Shaw looked very fresh, he probably kept her alive for a long time, same with the rest of them.

>Did firebombing that one city take out all of the engineers on the planet or just in that one location?
They weren't Engineers, they were another seed race, and we don't know that there were any other settlements on the planet.

>>86513775
>He said something about the creatures in his bestiary being all that was left of the original goo.
He said "Ten years on, all that remains outside of the original virus are these gorgeous beasts" while showing Captain Stupid a vial of the goo, and there's a shelf full of canisters of it behind him.
>>
>>86513941
>They weren't Engineers, they were another seed race, and we don't know that there were any other settlements on the planet.

Makes sense, I guess. They seemed smaller and dissimilar to Engineers. Like cavedwellers, desu. They were still in the pre-classical period outside of the docking platform. Got proof though or is it fanwank?

>showing Captain Stupid a vial of the goo, and there's a shelf full of canisters of it behind him.

Ah, yes. I remember now. Still doesn't explain how he got a xeno chestburster. Unless he drew blood from one of his embryos and injected him with it. That would work except I don't see the guy sitting there while he did it.
>>
since the deleted scenes surfaced I think that movie could have been much much better and actually provide some answers about the universe of the movie
>>
>>86513941
The official film synopsis says that planet is the Engineer homeworld. And if it weren't them then the dock platform for the ship being above their city makes zero sense.
>>
>>86514457
I think that was the original idea but then they changed it. Perhaps this was another race that was created by the Engineers and unlike humans were actively aware of them and worshipped them as gods. So when they saw an Engineer ship they celebrated only to have David wipe them out. I would have liked to see more art from that planet like we saw the murals in Prometheus
>>
Why they were so calm when they found an alien ship? Like it wasn't even a big deal to them
>>
>>86515013
Because they were thoroughly stupid. Their first thought when coming across gross looking alien plants is to put their face a few inches away, poke them, and then deeply inhale the plainly visibly cloud of spores. And they landed in the fucking water instead of dry land a few feet away to begin with.
>>
>>86515013
bad writing
>>
where do people get the idea that david was the original creator of the xenomorphs? I thought it was implied in prometheus and alien covenant that the engineers created the aliens as bioweapons (or at least, accidentally). david just thought that the xenomorphs were better than their creators and even says something like "their creators aren't worthy of them" in the same way he thinks humans aren't worthy of him.
>>
>>86515497

Because he says the xeno facehuggers are his creation.
>>
>>86515497
They try to emphasize the point that David's main motivation is that he wants to create not replicate. He thinks that he has created the perfect organism, not taken an old formula he found and remade them.
>>
>>86515497
Because he literally says so in the movie. He spent ten years experimenting on and studying the black goo to create the perfect lifeform and finally ended up with the Xenomorph. The way I understood it is that he made a genetic hybrid from the goo and some lifeform native to the planet that was similar to a facegugger and impregnated Shaw with it to grow the first eggs. Literally their children. The mural in Prometheus that shows a final form Xenomorph is either a deeper plothole than it already was, or there is still more that we don't know about this entire process and the Engineers.
>>
>>86515872

It wasn't a plothole until Covenant made it one.
>>
>>86516020
It was though because at no point in the film does a Xenomorph ever appear. Even when the giant octopus monster impregnates the Engineer, a similar but altogether still different kind of creature is born. Logically a Xenomorph should have been spawned there if the Engineers were aware of them enough to make that mural because that would imply it was a commonly known fact to them that they are created through that process.
>>
>>86514208
what did they leave out?
>>
>>86516263
well the octopus monster is different than a facehugger and so the embryo it impregnates the engineer with would be different, and then the fact that it is a hybrid with an engineer and not a human also makes it different.
>>
>>86508953
wat?
>>
The more I think about this movie, the more I'm actually starting to like it. It's still not great, and Prometheus is certainly better, but all the underlying religious and mythological themes and allegories are quite interesting and well thought out on further examination. Definitely ties in with Prometheus better than it first seems because it takes a natural progression from the idea of "stealing fire from the gods" towards exploring the idea of making a pact with the devil that destroys paradise and notions of inner demons literally represented by the Xenomorphs.
>>
File: laughinghicksapone.jpg (13KB, 385x278px) Image search: [Google]
laughinghicksapone.jpg
13KB, 385x278px
>blu-ray shows up in the mail
>quote on back: "THE BEST ALIEN MOVIE SINCE THE ORIGINAL!" - Mark S. Allen, ABC-TV

oh man
>>
>>86512345
I like the thought, actually, anon, but I assume it was just a ploy to distract him, if even briefly. It seems that the film played heavily on Walter being more of an Asimovian intelligence (putting people first) with David understanding that (and helping the crew later) but contrasting that with his ignoring the floating head in the water which the captain focused on. I think all of that just goes to show how far away from the "code" to guard human life David was and how he knew to exploit Walter to achieve his endgame.
>>
>>86504445
RIDLEY PLS

Your flick was a dissapointment
Thread posts: 86
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.