[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the catch?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 2

File: moviepass.jpg (13KB, 550x204px) Image search: [Google]
moviepass.jpg
13KB, 550x204px
What's the catch?
>>
>>86493167
Its no different then how your grocery store sends you ads for junkmail
>>
>>86493167

They sell your info to third parties. Pretty much what Facebook already does.
>>
>>86493208
What do you mean?
>>
Why would you even want to go to movie theaters. It's a shit experience now because of the beaners
>>
You have to go to a theater and watch movies.
>>
>>86493167
It's valid only a no singles theaters
>>
>>86493167
It's like a gym membership or any subscription service.

Most people go once a month.
Some people go once a week.
One autistic guy actually goes every day.
And some might not see a movie for months while forgetting that they are paying $10/month for the service.
>>
>everyone starts using a movie pass
>theaters no long make money because everyone goes everyday and uses the pass for 30 cents a day and theaters can't make any money off it
>Theaters all go out of business and your pass becomes useless because there's no where to use it anymore
>>
>>86493343
You're a moron. MoviePass buys the tickets from the theater and gives them to you. The only people losing money on this are MoviePass themselves, theaters actually end up making more because the pass increases attendance and buying of snacks
>>
I'm sure they sell your viewing patterns or there's some hidden catch down the line but I don't care about my viewing habits being used for ad revenue, since if I used this I'd be inclined to see just about everything regardless of interest since I can. It's not any of my personal info.

I'm actually tempted to try it for a bit just to see.
>>
>>86493384
Then why is AMC so opposed to it if it's that simple?
>>
>>86493471
Because if MoviePass becomes popular they will have sway with the movie-going public, giving them a bargaining chip to have AMC cut them in on profits so they don't lose money from the service. It's a gamble.

Ironically, AMC partnered with them a few years back and the data MoviePass is using to prove that their business model is good was from that partnership
>>
>>86493471

Mostly because of their relationships with the major studios. The studios are already getting closer and closer to cutting out the middle man (AMC, Regal, etc) in favor of profits from streaming, that the theaters have to make themselves look as financially viable as ever.
>>
>>86493609
You'd think they would welcome something like this then. It gets people back in theaters when they had been hemorrhaging customers for years now.

I figured it was only a matter of time before we were streaming new releases but if this spikes attendance, it could buy the theater model a little more time.
>>
Waiting for Kinopass
>>
>>86493167
The catch is that they're doing this at an obscene loss in hopes the service catches on, and THEN they plan on blackmailing movie theaters to discount the price of tickets for their card holders, and hopefully get a cut of concessions as well.
>>
>>86493308
Even Gyms aren't this cheap. And a lot more people will be willing to go to the theater everytime a big movie comes out then they will be motivated to go to the gym.
>>
i hate how some of us have been using moviepass for years, but now all the faggot normies/poor people are flocking to it
>>
>>86493471

AMC wants to do their own version of MoviePass, but can't compete with $10.
>>
This is gonna get more people into the theater where they will then buy snacks and shit, which is where the real money is at.
>>
ARENT IMAX 3D TICKETS EXCLUDED

USELESS

D R O P P E D
>>
>>86494250
No one gives a fuck what method you use to pay for movies. You're not cool for spending $50 a month to watch every piece of shit that comes out.
>>
>>86493167
catch is I only see maybe 10 movies a year and none of them cost more than $5 so i'd be losing money with this
>>
>>86493167
Theaters would allow you in for next to nothing if they could because they make most of their money selling you concessions at a 500% markup. The reason that the price of movie tickets always seems to be going up is because the studios are currently choosing to keep theaters alive artificially. At any moment, they could introduce a new service that makes new releases available for streaming and it would be the death of the movie theater industry overnight.

MoviePass presents a problem because if they become a major player in the industry, they can demand that theaters cut them in on more favorable deals for purchasing tickets or they'll risk being excluded from the MoviePass network of theaters. Less money from tickets = less money theaters can afford to give back to studios = less incentive for studios to not cut the cord from the theaters.

Basically it threatens to move the process along of making theaters completely obsolete, so if you enjoy watching movies in the theater, be aware that by using this service, you're contributing to the eventual death of the industry.
>>
>>86496414
>At any moment, they could introduce a new service that makes new releases available for streaming and it would be the death of the movie theater industry overnight.

Movies will get insta-ripped and torrented
>>
>>86493167
they kill the theaters in the long run
>>
>>86496414
>be aware that by using this service, you're contributing to the eventual death of the industry.
I hope so, then I'll be able to see every movie ever made.
>>
Their shit doesn't work at my local theater.
>>
>>86499359
You already can thanks to the internet. But this will kill Theaters, just like they said torrents will kill theaters despite capeshit movies constantly breaking records for highest grossing films and also most downloaded.
>>
>>86499743
normies don't know how to torrent. They barely understand how the internet workds
>>
>>86499743
If they keep making more movies, I'll never have time to watch them all. If they stop right now, I may be able to.
>>
>>86493262
They're not the ones clapping like trained walruses, lardass.
>>
>>86493167
Truly the uber of film.
>>
>>86499955
go back beaner.
>>
>>86499986
Back where, trailer trash? Don't go running people over because of this, it's not worth it.
>>
Does the trial start when you activate their credit card or when you sign up?
>>
the catch is you will be impoverishing friendly hollywood filmmakers and producers who only want the best for you and are trying to eek out a humble living goyi- I mean fellow American citizen.
>>
>>86501040
when you the card unless your local theatres do E-tickets which is apparently pretty rare.

my card better show up before baby driver is out of theaters or I will be very upset desu
>>
The catch is "every 24 hours" instead of "every business day" which means you can be locked out based on that day's showtime.
>>
>No arclight
Yea pass
>>
File: 20170620_023027.jpg (228KB, 589x790px) Image search: [Google]
20170620_023027.jpg
228KB, 589x790px
>>86493262

last movie I went to a Mexican couple used their McDonald's cups to block off like 8 seats and being a well-mannered white citizen I assumed they had a group coming so since our group packed the rest of the row, i sat I through the whole movie with some beaner's McDonald's cup in my cup holder and it turns out they were just blocking seats because they were selfish assholes.

Not to mention I watched a camrip of dragon Ball Z resurrection F that was from a Mexican movie theater and I could barely hear the movie over loud Spanish and screaming beanlets.

Truly a disgusting uncivilized people. Puerto Ricans aren't much better though.
>>
>>86493609
>financially viable

Like that time I caved and bought a medium coke for 5.50. Dropped my fucking wallet.
>>
>>86501337
I thought someone said they changed that?
>>
>>86501677
The only change they've made is no longer requiring you to photograph your ticket (unknown if this is a temporary measure) so you could tell them you are buying a ticket for later in the day but it really being the current showing.
>>
>>86493167
Movie theatre exec
>People! Our model is stagnant in an increasingly "on-demand" world, what can we do to make our pricing more competitive!? We want to be the Uber or the Netflix of our industry.

Some schmoe
>Hey, you know how these guys that are beating us with their ability to offer unparalleled convenience and tailored content? Why don't we just adapt their pricing scheme

Movie theatre exec
>You goddamn sonnuvabitch... I'm promoting you to head of marketing development and starting you on $500,000 a year

why do they think this will do anything to revive the industry, movie pass will go bust before theatres, but the fact people are discussing this shows how desperate these organisations are
>>
Their stated plan is the get lower ticket prices by showing theaters that all the new people MP brings in raised concession sales.
But do normies really still buy movie theater items? The only people I see in line are old people and children and this scheme targets neither of those.
>>
The catch is that it's a literal botnet.
>>
>>86493471
>people get used to paying $10 a month for unlimited movies
>moviepass folds because the business model is unfeasible
>now they have to start paying $15-$20 per movie again
>they say fuck that and attendance gets even worse than before
AMC is right that this thing is a crazy Hail Mary to boost attendance without fixing the fundamental problem of movie attendance.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.