[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So my brother is a film major who just transferred to a full

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

So my brother is a film major who just transferred to a full university. Issue is he didn't anticipate the cost of it, and would have to take out an extra loan or two. He's very nervous and contemplating if uni is even worth his time.
Any film majors here can give me their 2 cent? I'm a STEM major, so I don't know how valuable my insight is here (since a degree is basically required to get hired).
>>
If you don't know anyone in the buisness than it's a million to one shot
>>
>>86491334
No. It's a glorified networking school and half the people their will be rich kids who don't need to worry about bills and have family or family friends in the industry to hook them up a job immediately after they graduate.

Study a real major, make and study films in your free time, do film minor courses to meet people to do crew work and network.
>>
File: 1484754545301.png (51KB, 693x496px) Image search: [Google]
1484754545301.png
51KB, 693x496px
>taking a loan for film "school"
>can watch any film you want online for free
>he went to film school not films
>laughing tarantula
>>
>taking out A loan for school
Risky.
>taking an extra loan
Oh no.
>or two
Oh god no. Look, student load debt is the worst thing and can follow you to your grave. It's the only type of debt you can't wipe out with bankruptcy.
>>
File: 20170221_222022.jpg (256KB, 804x683px) Image search: [Google]
20170221_222022.jpg
256KB, 804x683px
>not GoT spamming
>not Picklericking
>not Sneedposting
bump
>>
>>86491429
>>86491465
We are simple town folk and he has a passion for the industry. At poor man's community college he had participated in 2 film jam fests in a month's time, and had even got invited to a private party from a professor. I really think he has good social skills and the ability to build connections, and honestly I'm not disgusted with the writing I've seen of him.
That being said would it really be a waste of time for him or can he climb his way to at least the minor leagues via this?
>>
I didn't go to film school, interned on two major indie features, and I'm still having trouble getting a job. This is probably a poor idea for your brother.
>>
>>86491622
>That being said would it really be a waste of time for him or can he climb his way to at least the minor leagues via this?

I still see it as a waste of time. He can still climb while learning a practical and useful degree that won't cripple him with debt after graduating if he indeed does not make it.
>>
>>86491622
I wanted to direct movies until I found out watching them was alot more enjoyable. Making dumb short films with friends is satisfying enough.
>>
Ok il level with you, he probably won't make it. But thats not to say he can't find a job in the industry or in television. Its not impossible to work on a film and not impossible to make contacts but again its hard work to get in.
Television is easier but only because there are more productions and films will always use the same people consistantly.
Also i learned more from people at school than any teachers and i had great mentors. If he takes out a loan will he be able to repay ? he has to really think about that and his options. Debt is serious and will be him anxious when he gets out from studying only to find himself without a job for a while.
Im in the tv industry and I'm not a rich fag or a jew.
Your brother has a passion and he should know it will be hard fucking industry he's getting into that will only get harder with each success he has.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.