[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/swg/ - s-screenwriting general?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

File: screenplay.jpg (7KB, 225x232px) Image search: [Google]
screenplay.jpg
7KB, 225x232px
>a year ago everyone was posting on /swg/ about their works and their daily routines
>now any thread dies without replies
what the fuck happened?
>>
Hollywood died. When everything is Nostalgia bait, capeshit, a remake or forced sjw-ization of pre-existing work, what's to aim for? Even in the indie space the focus is on 'unique' pictures with 'diverse' themes

I'm still developing my murder mystery film while doing my best to conform to the emerging progressive marketplace, while underneath I want to go full Mel Gibson
>>
because all the new/mobilefags from last year realized they have no fucking talent and went back
>>
You gotta love the forensics of mutilated memories, heh. The first time you smile is also the first time you foresee pain. In the most instantaneous fashion, death becomes your best friend. Blood flows to ease the landing, but in reality the whole point of the flight was to come down.
>>
I ask myself the same question, it's really a mystery that even the sudden influx of people after the election doesn't solve

>>86473464
how far along are you bro?

>>86473478
many people here have already made short films, some of them with very acceptable quality
I distinctively remember one about some robbery and the man was wearing an animal face (a duck or a horse?); and another one about two guys in some beach dunes which was shot stupendously
>>
All it takes is less than a year of writing to realize that you don't have the grit for it, connections matter as much as good writing, there is less than .001% chance you will ever get picked up by writing, they only make remakes/reboots/etc anyway, and

writing is really fucking hard.
>>
Cause you fuckers don't know how to write. Every single "idea" in this thread is a pastiche gimmick tacked on with a "but in the end it turns out that they're all actually zombies in a dream."
>>
File: 1440531830595.png (134KB, 317x392px) Image search: [Google]
1440531830595.png
134KB, 317x392px
>selling your heart and soul to a bunch of hollywood kikes so that they can hire a team of ghostwriters to butcher and eviscerate it, leaving you with a pittance for your trouble
Why would you do this to yourself? Why not write a novel instead? And if you really care about movies more than storytelling, why aren't you trying to become a director?
>>
>>86473611
dubs, this
>>
Wrote two screenplays so far, a horror movie and a sci-fi action movie. Two drafts of the horror film in the bag, third rewrite will only be minor dialogue adjustments and smoothing over of details. Currently working on the second draft of the actioner, it's coming along alright.

Yeah, no one will ever read them, but I'm pretty happy with them.
>>
File: tumblr_n9svf6cf8O1svd6k1o1_500.jpg (39KB, 500x672px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n9svf6cf8O1svd6k1o1_500.jpg
39KB, 500x672px
>>86473649
I'm on my second draft of this script, page 88 now of 120. Second feature length screenplay I've written. First I submitted for review on theblacklist.com or whatever and it got a solid C- from them. But who gives a fuck what they think, because that script was essentially season 3 of Twin Peaks and that's working out. (Script was about a man who sold his soul at the crossroads 20 years ago, creating an evil doppleganger. And now years later the evil is coming home to roost. Multiple groups of ensemble characters converge across the US in an Americana road trip. Climax is a battle in a cave network in the desert which leads into the underworld / afterlife. Fingers crossed that Twin Peaks s3 ends up in a cave.)

Pic attached is related to my new script
>>
I've written a lot since the heyday of this. I'm writing a novel now. In the fall, I'll get back to screenwriting.
>>
>>86473379
It's in the style of "what we do in the shadows". a superhero receives major brain damage during a clash with his nemesis and must now supplement his disability checks working a stocker for wal-mart.
>>
I've written a movie kind of in the vein of Before Sunrise. Two tourists, one Scottish and one Irish, explore New York together.

I'm currently writing a crime drama about a gang member who is released from prison after a manslaughter sentence, it's basically about him trying to keep away from his criminal tendencies. It's kind of a mix of Sling Blade and Training Day, at least, that's the closest things I can compare them to.
>>
>>86479136
>manslaughter
>criminal tendencies
does he take a drivers ed course or something?
>>
>>86479452
Perhaps.
>>
I remember daily filmmaking threads and them hitting bump limit. What happened?

Anyways I'm working on a short involving OCD but in the vein of Memento and The Machinist.
>>
I work in IT right now along with being a grad student and can write decent essays. If I were to say "fuck this, I wanna be a screenwriter on big budget Hollywood films" with zero connections and no formal training, is it even possible? Even if I wrote the best script in the world, could it even be shopped around? I just don't understand why people get it in their head this is an obtainable goal.
>>
I've almost finished, I'll post it here when I do. It's not like it's gonna go anywhere else.
>>
>>86480537
It's not. But you write because you like writing. I suppose if you really had a good script, you can submit it into contests and win. Or start "shopping around." Good work is recognized, but you have to understand that that level of writing isn't something you just pull off. A lot of amateurs are always wondering what they're going to do after they've written a masterpiece, instead of wondering how they're going to write it.
>>
Only advice I can give is stop writing 120-page screenplays when you haven't had your outline peer-edited yet for pacing, tension, characters, plot, etc.
>>
do you guys know of a good book about different structures of storytelling? I'm not asking for a perfect formula, but I bet there are good books that dissect the best stories told from cinema to literature to graphic literature etc...
>>
>>86473379
Dillusionment building to self realization and heavy drinking.

As for /swg/ I'm working on a script that's very much in the same vein as Badlands meets Two Lane Blacktop. Two chicks get away with moderate amount of cash, some fired gunshots and one person struck. They then hide out in the forest and their fractured friendship is brought into question.
>>
>>86483204
Save the Cat Goes to the Movies. It takes the bare bones structure, and applies it to different types of films and how they are structure.d
>>
>>86483306
Is 75% of the movie them in a forest?
>>
>>86473951
You could always make indie films. And with the right drive and relationships you could financially stay there making those.
Or you could sell your soul to do the American live action version of One Punch Man after your ernest debut about depression and anxiety. Then after hopefully hitting back with he blockbuster you could then make 30 million dramas.

Again though, wishful thinking.
>>
File: adaptation-still-1.jpg (93KB, 900x602px) Image search: [Google]
adaptation-still-1.jpg
93KB, 900x602px
Thanks for popping up, guys. I've been meaning to work on some stuff all day, but I've been putting it off until now.
>>
>>86483841
100% Forest.
It's post robbery. We seem them park, switch plates, and hurry into the woods. After that it's mostly daytime, with them talking and bickering and whatnot. I know it sounds like shit, but it means a lot to me as it's about repression and feeling the world close in around and insignificant.
Honestly though, it's less about a true script and having it be the bets it can be. I wanna shoot full blown independently next summer. Small crew of 3-5 guys, 2 actresses and minimal equipment.
>>
>>86474890
Sounds gnarly. Care to share a taste?
>>
anyone else write screenplays with no intention of shilling or getting them anywhere? its just fun for me
>>
29 yo LA fag here

Workin on a Pilot.

Wanna sell it to HBO ....multi season deal

GAVE. I FUCKING CLUE WHERE TO START

Pilot is just about done tho
>>
>>86484673
Who is working on it?
>>
>>86484673
you'll probably need to present it in some fashion first. WKUK were a comedy troupe who performed skits SNL-like and got recognition in their scene. Always Sunny recorded some ideas/jokes on a handheld camera and sent it to various networks until FX bit. a lot of them went on to be incorporated into the first season.
>>
>>86484673

Yeah...but those are comedies....its easy to present and film "funny bits"

But im doin a Real Drama.... think of the first ep of Sopranos or Breaking Bad

This will Be set in the Las Vegas strip
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.