[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Logan B&W

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

File: hello fucking epic.jpg (173KB, 1282x581px) Image search: [Google]
hello fucking epic.jpg
173KB, 1282x581px
Best film Ive ever seen
>>
File: kek.jpg (27KB, 350x333px) Image search: [Google]
kek.jpg
27KB, 350x333px
>>86466582
You should watch more films then
>>
>>86466652
We got ourselves a comedian here.
>>
>digitally washed out to black and white despite being shot and fully visually constructed in full color
>>
I will never not find that weird recent trend of releasing black and white versions of movies pointless. I mean, who ever saw a movie and thought "Hey, this would look so much better if it didn't have any colour!". Sure, there are monochrome movies that look great but those were shot that way to begin with. They were intended to be in black and white.
>>
File: 1491382587773.jpg (35KB, 267x274px) Image search: [Google]
1491382587773.jpg
35KB, 267x274px
i thought it was just an april's fools thing but the thing actualy exists
>>
>>86466722
There's a lot of neat thought that goes into these black and white reconstructions.

I think when mad max did it there were lots of different examples going around showing different coloring choices they could have made on scenes. It's not just flipping a switch.
>>
I wish this hipster trend would die. Editing b&w movies to colour would be a much better use of time and resources
>>
>>86467241
>It's not just flipping a switch.

You're right, it's moving a slider.
>>
>>86467145
Well to be fair, Fury Road was intended to be black and white but the studio didn't let Miller do it so he went to the other extreme of highly saturated blown out colors and after released his Black & Chrome version which is basically the directors version.
But this Logan black and white print is mostly money milking, yes.
>>
>>86467145
Mangold wanted a black and white version because it fits the tone of the film.
So he went through with it.
>>
Why would you want to watch this movie without the pretty, vibrant colours? I could see it fit with Batman v Superman or something, because it had a pretty monotonous colour palette, but Logan?
>>
>>86467276
>Editing b&w movies to colour would be a much better use of time and resources
People have been doing this, literally frame by frame painting of every pixel on screen and so far every single film resulted in a sub-par atrocious looking mess.
>>
>>86467348
you must be colorblind if you thought Logan had vibrant colors
>>
>>86467348
Because the written narrative isn't exactly "pretty" and "vibrant", is it?
>>
>>86467330
>which is basically the directors version.

The film he made is the director's version. he wanted to make a black and white film and he wasn't allowed to so he made a color film. This really isn't difficult. Logan adn Mad Max were not films that were designed, staged or shot to be seen in black and white.
>>
>>86467145
It made more sense with The Mist and Fury Road. Darabont wanted to release The Mist in b&w but the studio wouldn't allow it. Miller's desire to release Mad Max in b&w dates back to seeing Road Warrior dailies.

Mangold just threw together Logan Noir because he was posting b&w production stills and people told him it looked cool.
>>
File: kenny.png (154KB, 309x302px) Image search: [Google]
kenny.png
154KB, 309x302px
>tfw I like to edit films to make them black and white myself because I genuinely prefer the aesthetic, despite the fact that I know it's both gay and autistic as fuck

Mostly for horror stuff granted, but still. I feel faggy as fuck every time this little hobby comes up.
>>
>>86467336

Does it really, though? The tone of the film was kinda western inspired, which isn't a genre particulary known to be in black and white.
>>
>>86467145
>that weird recent trend of releasing black and white versions of movies
It's been two movies.
>>
>>86467348

No, the colours of BvS are kinda muted but nevertheless important. There are a lot of scenes that wouldn't work at all in black and white.
>>
>>86467454
And that's perfect. Choosing to go with moody atmosphere and looks combined with a pessimistic story gets dull fast, this way the movie feels more alive.
>>
>>86467511
Fury Road was basically shot in two colors already though (orange and teal) so it wasn't that big of a change to make it B&W.
>>
>>86467813
Eh, don't remember much from it, you're possibly right, didn't have a better example in my mind.
>>
>>86467728
I think that's kind of neat. Does it ever fuck up a movie? Are there any that look particularly good in black and white?
>>
>>86467992
>this way the movie feels more alive
Oh go suck a dick please.

Also the visuals of Logan are certainly not "vibrant", they are intentionally going for the No Country For Old Men extremely dry and "raw" look, not at all "vibrant" like Avatar or a Disney movie.
>>
>>86467813
>the colors of BvS were important
In what fucking way? Kryptonite being green? Barely being able to discern the slightly blue and red grey character from the black and grey character?
>>
>>86466687
meant for >>86466582
>>
>>86466582
What a pleb then.
>>
>>86468123
I just like nice looking things, pls no bully.
>>
>>86468089
>Does it ever fuck up a movie?
Yes, basically everytime you fuck it up because you think that you know better on your computer monitor than a professional color grader who has a 20 000$ setup tweaking the colors, contrast, highlights, exposure and even specific parts of the frame of certain scenes to fit the narrative best for hours or days even, it's always worse. And you should be working on the RAW not processed file, not on the already color corrected imagine, you just fuck the quality up even more.
Also turning something to black and white isn't just one click, there are infinite amount of shades inbetween.
>>
>>86468156

See, it's actually easier to make a high contrast movie like Fury Road look good in black and white than a low contrast one. Sure, you could still tell what's going on in BvS if it was monochrome but I think it'd look worse. The colours may not exactly be bright but they're still important to make some scenes visually interesting. Scenes like Lex Luthor staring into the sunset, the one in the indian ocean, Batmans dream sequence... they'd look pretty boring without colour.
>>
>>86467145
It's a shitty gimmick that plebs love so they can fool themselves into thinking they are actually watching art instead of trashy capeshit and that way they don't have to watch real cinema. It works on brainlets like >>86466582 as you can see.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.