[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is he any good?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 9

File: woodyallen.jpg (14KB, 214x317px) Image search: [Google]
woodyallen.jpg
14KB, 214x317px
what should I watch first to form an opinion?
>>
a game of thrones
>>
goodfellas or taxi driver
>>
>>86460752
if you've seen one of his movies you've pretty much seen them all. Watch Annie Hall or if you can't stand his neurotic Jew shtick and acting watch Midnight in Paris or Blue Jasmine
>>
>>86460858
i tried watching annie hall but i found it insufferable. I guess I'll go with midnight in paris then.
>>
>>86461370
It's similar in a lot of ways. Like most of his movies the main character is clearly how Woody Allen sees himself. It has a more interesting plot though. Also prepare to hate Elizabeth Banks' character who is a massive cunt
>>
midnight is the one you will enjoy the most
>>
Try Radio Days.
>>
radio days
>>
Hes a disgusting pedophile, have some morals and dont acknowledge whats hes dedicated his life to making
>>
i dont really like him as an actor desu
>>
>>86460752
Manhattan for comedy, Interiors for drama.
>>
>>86462635
the story i know: apparently mia farrow was salty because of his relationship with her adopted daughter (his current wife), so she made the other daughter say he assaulted her. it sounds plausible. but at the same time... the daughter was 7 at the time.. so if it actually happened, it's pretty fucked up. did the daughter comment on it since then?
>>
>>86463986
She still says he did. But it's her word against his, and we can never know for sure.
>>
Magic in the Moonlight
Irrational Man
>>
Interiors
>>
>>86464853
that's pretty bad. at least with Michael Jackson, some of the kids stepped up as adults to say it was all a scam.. but yeah, it could still be that they've never forgiven him for hooking up with the other daughter...
>>
I love Woody and have enjoyed most of his movies. Manhattan is a decent starting point, then if you liked that I would suggest Broadway Danny Rose, Zelig and Deconstructing Harry. If you were interested in more modern Woody then I would check out Midnight in Paris and Blue Jasmine as other anons have suggested.
>>
>>86465097
I think that Soon Yi's other siblings are on Woody's side, but Dylan (the daughter Woody allegedly molested) published an op-ed article a few years back basically saying she stands by everything. Even though now I think it's been basically confirmed that it was mostly written by Dylan's brother Ronan, and she just approved it. Ronan Farrow, you'll recall, is supposed to be Woody's only biological son, but he is fiercely loyal to his mother, and he also looks exactly like Mia's ex-husband, Frank Sinatra.
>>
>>86460858
>if you've seen one of his movies you've pretty much seen them all.

I should clarify i've only seen like 3
>>
File: IMG_8600.gif (3MB, 314x500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8600.gif
3MB, 314x500px
>>86460752
Anything Else
>>
>>86465384
You posted the only good thing about that movie.
>>
>>86464873
>Irrational Man
I thought I would like it for Joaquin and Emma Pepe but all the pseudo intellectual "I just finished philosophy 101 so I'm smarter than everyone around me" talk made it hard to watch
>>
>>86460774
BAHAHAHA YOU THOUGHT IT WAS SCORSESE
>>
>>86462635
You're an imbecile. Regardless of his personal life, Allen is an auteur and has produced many a worthwhile film. He understands and appreciates art, pic related. You don't have to sympathize with him in any shape or form to be able to appreciate his films.
>>86465513
Maybe if you weren't so intimidated by even a semblance of intellectual discourse, you wouldn't have this problem.
>>
>>86465443
Jason Biggs' huge fucking nostrils?
>>
>GOAT/Favorite tier
Hannah and Her Sisters, Crimes and Misdemeanors

>Great tier
Bananas, Zelig, Sleeper, Annie Hall, Purple Rose, Deconstructing, Blue Jasmine, Husbands and Wives

>Very Good tier
Love and Death, Everything..., Stardust, Midsummer, Manhattan, Broadway Danny, Radio Days, Another Woman, Aphrodite, Celebrity, Sweet Lowdown, Midnight in Paris, Cafe Society

>Good tier
Shadows and Fog, Interiors, Manhattan Murder, Match Point, Vicky, Cassandra, Whatever Works

>Ok tier
Bullets, Irrational, Small Time, Melinda,
>>
>>86465513
>pseudo intellectual

I'm embarrassed for you anon.
>>
>no one's posted the Orson Wells quote yet

/tv/ i am disappoint
>>
>>86466045
Love and Death is GOAT.
>>
>>86466173
love that meme jej
Orson welles is a joke but also our guy lmao
>>
>>86465879
No you're just easily impressed. Throughout the whole movie they spew and name drop entry level philosophy concepts and they do it in a way like it's some mind blowing revelation. I could not stop rolling my eyes. Allen has included philosophy in his movies before without it being annoying.
>>
>>86466483
Maybe because the protagonist is literally philosophy professor trying to square his studies with his life practices? You're doing great.
>>
>>86466098
>Woah he knows Kierkegaard? Clearly he must be intellectual.
Parroting shit you can find in cliffnotes does not make you or your movie smart. You easily impressed faggot.
>>
>>86460752
Pirate whatever you watch.

Dont give that pedophile a red cent
>>
>>86465879
>>86466098
You're basically Emma Stone in the movie. A kid that thinks they're smarter than everyone that gets impressed by a bullshit artist that feeds into your false superiority. The only difference is you never realized that Allen is full of shit and you have already been pushed down the elevator shaft.
>>
>>86466524
>It's bad on purpose
These are the people your posting with Jesus Christ
>>
No one here actually watches his movies it's like a thing people say to act smart
>>
>>86460752
i once said that his movies are too jewy and this girl got mad as shit
she was a jew
i think its funny how they over look the faults of a person when they are a jew
like the guy adopted a girl and then raised her and then fucked her and then married her
probably not in that order too
fuck this guy not because hes a jew but because hes a hack who got away with shit
rich people getting away with shit pisses me off
PLUS HIS MOVIES ARE A HUGE SNORE
>>
>>86467321
>it's "bad" because I say it
What a compelling film analysis.
>>
>>86466903
Please elaborate on what exactly makes Allen "full of shit".
>>
>>86466903
Damn, sobering insight anon. A true cineaste indeed.
>>
>>86460752
Annoying beta male jew comedy.
>>
>>86467897
a beta male doesn't fuck his daughter
>>
>>86463986
Probably BS. He did fuck his adopted daughter and that alone makes him shit.
>>
>>86467915
Yes only a beta male creep would do that.
>>
>>86468021
>t. beta male
>>
Whiny Jew that casts himself as the protagonist and casts beautiful women to be his pairs. Unrealistical women characters, mostly. He sells his whining and quips as neurotic comic construction.
>>
>>86466661
i planned to do so
>>
>>86468542

He is stereotyping jews, while being a jew himself. How is that objectionable in any way?
>>
>>86467967
>He did fuck his adopted daughter
He did not.
>>
>>86468782
>t. fat burger shilling for kike masters

Why not defend Polanski as well, because why shouldn't the chosen people have the special privilege of raping minors with no consequences.
>>
>>86466045
When you say it like that I realize he's made a lot of good movies.
>>
>>86460752
watch back to the future or indiana jones
>>
>is he any good?
He's hit or miss.
Some of his films are really good (Manhattan, Blue Jasmine, Deconstructing Harry, Zelig...) and others are mediocre to terrible (Melinda and Melinda, To Rome with Love, Scoop, Magic in the Moonlight...)
He churns out so many films that most of them are bound to be bad or just mediocre at best.

I suggest starting with the two of his that probably everyone even remotely familiar with cinema has seen: Annie Hall and Manhattan. Can't really go wrong with either.
>>
>>86469313
Right. That's all very edgy and impressive but has nothing to do with cinema or facts. She was not his daughter. But please respond w some more edgy shit you innefectual mad man.
>>
>>86466045
Is Cafe Society unironically good? I hate Kstew and Jesse because they're both ugly and can't act.
>>
>>86471206
It's very good yeah, feels like it comes from his 80s period. Simple story, beautifully told. Among the best cinematography of any of his films. Set and costuming and stuff ate exquisite and it has a resonant message ultimately not unlike Midnight in Paris.
>>
STart with his "funnies"(Everything You Wanted to Know ABout Sex, Sleeper, Love and Death) then Annie hall (sort of a cross between the two phases of his career), then Stardust Memories (his best film, though also his most meta: good to come to once you understand his work a bit), then Manhattan, then Anna and her Sisters, then skip ahead to Midnight in Paris.
>>
>>86471533
Blue Jasmine is also superb.

Honestly though, even a mediocre woody allen movie is at least a 6.5 or 7/10. I spent an entire summer working my way through his entire filmography and didn't hate a single movie
>>
>>86460752
It's funny that he's always the worst part of his own movies.
>>
zelig is godlike
>>
>>86471533
do not skip Crimes and Misdemeanors.
>>
>>86471109
Grooming an adopted child is just as bad you soulless goy slave.
>>
>>86473008
Everybody is someone's child. She was not his child, biological or adopted. She was also an adult.
>>
>>86462635
Mia Farrow made the whole thing up

The district attorneys office investigated for a year and concluded nothing had happened
One of their adopted children was 14 at the time and has now spoken out publicly claiming that Farrow made the whole thing up and drilled the children in a story to tell shouting at them for hours, he has also claimed she was absusive
>>
>>86473582
this, additionally the nannies present that day claim the child never left their sight and it was logistically impossible. Also the tape Mia made of the kid testifying this stuff has tons of cuts, during which she was likely coached.

It's a shitty thing to leave your gf for her younger daughter, but not unconscionable, not criminal. Mia tarnished his good name completely.
>>
>>86465879
>he has a long and illustrious career of movie making therefore it's fine if he rapes children
Nice logic cunt. KYS
>>
>>86473856
>it's fine if he rapes children
That simply is not a thing that he did. Take a sentence or two to say why you think that's the case. Take you are time.
>>
>>86473582
I remember Ronan Farrow publicly defending Woody a couple of years back, but he completely changed his stance the next time I remember the subject being brought up. I wonder 'who' got to him..
>>
>>86462635
Mia made the whole thing up

The District Attorneys office investigated for a year and concluded the child had either made it up or coached

One of their other adopted children was 14 at the time and he has now spoken out publicly claiming Mia made the whole thing up and brainwashed the children shouting at them for hours each day about "what Woody did", and further claims she was abusive

>>86463986
The girl was a toddler

>>86465253
Mia Farrow has publicly admitted she was continuing to see Sinatra in the 1980s while in a relationship with Woody Allen
Sintra was remarried by that time
And she further publicly admits Sintra might be Ronans father

So Mia Farrow the heartbroken devastated betrayed partner of Woody Allen was herself at the exact same time the alleged molestation took place having an affair with a married man, possibly produced a child from this, and passed the child off as the alleged molesters son in order to obtain child support and alimony from him

Also in the 1970s she met her second husband Andre Previn by having an affair with him while he was still married to his first wife, and Mias supposed best friend, Dory Previn
The shock of learning of this affair led to Dory having an emotional breakdown resulting in institutionalization and electroshock therapy

>>86467967
Soon Yi is the adopted daughter of Mia Farrow and Andre Previn
>>
>>86473582
I always find it funny how many /r9k/ rejects who unironically hate woman we have on this board will trash Woody Allen because they don't understand just how butthurt the literal cheating slut Mia was. It's pretty pathetic and goes to show just how powerful the words of a woman can be.
>>
>>86464853
We can dismiss the claims of someone who was a toddler at the time

We can judge Mia Farrows honesty from her behaviour and what the kid who was 14 at the time said

>>86469313
Mia Farrow actually is a supporter of Roman Polanski

Also there is something of a little known bombshell: Mia Farrows own brother is a convicted child molester

What if, in spite of what the DAs office determined, the child was indeed molested - but by Mias brother, not Woody? And in her anger at Woody and shock at what her brother did, she decided to cover up for him and take advantage of the situation to blame Woody and convinced the toddler that Woody was the one who hurt her not her uncle?
>>
>>86464853
The one son who had an MSNBC show for awhile also hates him and claims he did it. But he's probably Sinatra's kid anyway since his mom is a whore
>>
>[Woody Voice] "She's threatened my life many times," Allen said of Farrow.

>"I mean, she called me and threatened my--she's threatened to have me killed and to kill me. And to--and to stick my eyes out, to stick my eyes out, to blind me because she became obsessed with Greek tragedy and--and felt that this--that that would be a fitting, you know, vengeance."
>>
File: 1253995594629.gif (403KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1253995594629.gif
403KB, 480x360px
>>86473994
>the heartbroken devastated betrayed partner of Woody Allen was herself at the exact same time the alleged molestation took place having an affair with a married man, possibly produced a child from this, and passed the child off as the alleged molesters son in order to obtain child support and alimony from him

Women are evil
>>
>>86474131
>also hates him and claims he did it

but before that he was literally on Woodys side, defending his dad, and posted on twitter or some shit about how they should leave him alone, it was during some awards show where they had a tribute to Allen and twitter was an in outrage. However later he came out to defend his sister and trashed his dad. I don't know what his deal is but you can easily find both of these things if you just search for them, although the Allen trashing was more recent and will be most of what you find.
>>
>>86474161
sauce
>>
>>86474247
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/mia-farrow-threatening-1992-valentine-day-woody-allen-article-1.1605686
>>
>>86474241
That's family drama for you. I'm sure mommy got ahold of him and told him that she wouldn't speak to him anymore if he didn't get in line with her story. Sounds like he never had much of a relationship with Woody so I'm sure that's why he sided with her.

Don't ever get married.
>>
File: francis woody marty .jpg (196KB, 1200x782px) Image search: [Google]
francis woody marty .jpg
196KB, 1200x782px
Now that the dust has finally had time to settle and we can all agree Woody is not only innocent of any criminal wrongdoing, but also Our Guy, an American Fellini meets Bergman meets the Borscht Belt, i just wanted to recommend to fans both Wild Man Blues and the PBS American Masters documentary on Woody as they're both really illuminating films and an initmate look at his life. Interesting to see his creative process- constantly scribbling screenplays throughout stacks of legal notebooks, literally cutting and pasting them then banging em out on the same typewriter he's had for his entire career.
>>
1. Take the Money and Run
2. Manhattan
3. Crimes and Misdemeanors
4. Purple Rose of Cairo
5. Annie Hall
6. Stardust Memories
7. Broadway Danny Rose
8. Zelig
9. Play It Again Sam
10. Hannah and Her Sisters
>>
>>86474624
>two of your top 10 including the first arent even his films
triggering a bit but if they're your personal favorites i back it, on yesterday's Norm MacDonald live he and Sarah Silverman banter about Broadway Danny Rose.
>>
>>86474624
>>86474684
durr, im an idiot, for some reason didnt think he directed 'Take the Money' like 'Sam,' my bad
>>
File: split-allen-0208.jpg (132KB, 1200x992px) Image search: [Google]
split-allen-0208.jpg
132KB, 1200x992px
>>86474378
>Sounds like he never had much of a relationship with Woody so I'm sure that's why he sided with her.

yeah, like you said, I'm sure his mom threatened to cut contact with him if he didn't side up with her, and since Woody isn't even his real dad, he didn't want to lose contact with his real blood relatives and trashing your moms old cuck was the lesser of the evils. It's a shame how many people know nothing about this case but will still call Woody a pedo and trash him movies just because Mia ruined his reputation.

Marriage was a mistake
>>
>>86474733
hgtftuykguiyufvgut

meme
>>
Elle and Selena confirmed for next Woodykino
>>
>I hate Woody Allen physically, I dislike that kind of man.
>Oh, yes. I can hardly bear to talk to him. He has the Chaplin disease. That particular combination of arrogance and timidity sets my teeth on edge.
>He is arrogant. Like all people with timid personalities, his arrogance is unlimited. Anybody who speaks quietly and shrivels up in company is unbelievably arrogant. He acts shy, but he’s not. He’s scared. He hates himself, and he loves himself, a very tense situation. It’s people like me who have to carry on and pretend to be modest. To me, it’s the most embarrassing thing in the world—a man who presents himself at his worst to get laughs, in order to free himself from his hang-ups. Everything he does on the screen is therapeutic.
>>
>>86460752
Annie Hall is his best imho.
All his movies are kinda samey. He's actually a meme director.
>>
>>86478044
jealous, butthurt or both?
>>
>>86478347
Drunk
>>
>>86460752
Broadway Danny Rose, Sleeper, Annie Hall. That's a good start.
>>
>>86478181
i dont like him, but i always liked his dialogues. thats always been his best quality IMO
>>
>>86466483
What Orson Welles said about Allen was true, he uses intellect as a way of feeling superior and masking his own insecurities.
>>
File: touch of evil.jpg (27KB, 853x480px) Image search: [Google]
touch of evil.jpg
27KB, 853x480px
>>86478044
>he's talking about me
Thread posts: 95
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.