[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Raid 2 is the best action film of the century.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (197KB, 630x1200px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
197KB, 630x1200px
The Raid 2 is the best action film of the century.
>>
>>86419768
It wasn't even as good as the first Raid.
>>
>>86419820
It was wholly different

The Raid Redemption:
>bottled locale
>done on a shoestring budget
>straight action movie with a few well choreographed fights
>minimal story
>not alot of dialogue
>music fucking set the tone perfectly
>no cheesy antagonist anime gimmicks
>perfect run time

The Raid 2:
>multiple locales
>much larger budget/scope
>straight martial arts movie with more well choreographed fights
>story heavy deep cover mob tale(not concise)
>alot of dialogue (not it's strength)
>still solid music but felt lackluster compared to Redemption
>cheesy anime antagonist gimmicks (savant hobo/hammer girl/baseball bat kid)
>way too long

Both were excellent for modern day MA films but Redemption was definitely superior due to it's more modest aim
>>
>>86420108
Agreed. The fight scenes in Berendal are even better than the ones in Redemption, but the increased focus on plot & characterization aren't well-executed or original enough to feel like anything other than filler.

It's a bit of a sprawling mess. Redemption is so purely focused on the action, and executes it so well, that it plays like a minimalist art piece. They're both worth seeing, but ultimately Redemption is the better film
>>
>>86419768
It would have been if the writing wasn't terrible
>>
>>86420534
It's insane bro. From the moment they break the lock on the door and enter the building it runs at such a breakneck pace for so long it's almost breathtaking. I love both films (as well as Evan's first film, Merantau) but Redemption will always be the king
>>
>>86419768
Agreed.
>>
File: Duel-e1383012334831.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
Duel-e1383012334831.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
>>86420764
The best kind of thrillers/action movies are the ones that just take a very simple premise and pretty much just play it out in real time. When it's done right, with a clear sense of time & space and (passable) realism, it's the type of film that locks you in with the characters so closely that you end up yelling suggestions at the screen like a Negro.

Other examples: High Noon, Duel, Assault on Precinct 13, Die Hard, Speed, Green Room, Fury Road
>>
File: vscap019.jpg (39KB, 852x480px) Image search: [Google]
vscap019.jpg
39KB, 852x480px
>movie has a reference only you notice
if the Raid 3 is all about the yakuza this motherfucker better be in it
>>
>>86421421
What reference?
>>
>>86421205
So true. While i appreciate Gareth Evan's attempt at doubling down and widening the scope for the sequel it just fell short in a few ways. The uninteresting mob son coupe story just sort of fizzled and was needlessly contrived. It was a power play, we get it. Move the fuck on with it. The characters weren't fleshed out enough nor were their dramatic acting chops sufficient to convey anything we should empathize with. It bloats the length so thoroughly that you end up wanting it to just jump to the next fight scene (which is unfortunate). The shots, framing and cinematography were stellar. A seriously underrated aspect of this movie that no one really acknowledges. The soundtrack and general sound design was great but that's expected if you have seen Evan's other two films. Everything sounds so fucking ferocious and visceral. I'm really hoping Gareth used this as a means to build upon his film making skills and the third entry really balances the strengths of the two movies
>>
>>86421762
Rama's prisoner number is KSC2-303, the same as Tak Sakaguchi's in Versus
>>
>>86421783
>the third entry

If it ever happens
>>
>>86421893
Neat. Thanks.
>>
>>86421893
I fucking loved Versus. Good eye m80
>>
>>86421913
It should. I mean, both films did very well crittically and commercially didn't they?
>>
No, Fury Road is.
>>
>>86422145
Evans is shooting a different film for Netflix right now and then has another film called Blister planned for after that. Uwais could be past 40 by the time he could do Raid 3 and by that point who knows if he'll be able to do the fight scenes to the same level.
>>
>>86422303
Thanks for the info brother. Looking into Blister as we speak. But regarding a potential Raid 3, Evans already stated that 'should' a third movie be made it wouldn't be Iko as the main protagonist. This is also hinted at with the final dialogue in the second movie; with Rama saying, "No... I'm done."
>>
>>86422214
rebbit
>>
>>86422478
>The Raid 3
>Rama not the protagonist

That makes me sad.
>>
>>86422633
I agree. It's supposedly taking place "2 hours before the ending of The Raid 2" but that may very well change if & when we do get the finished product. Still, as >>86422478 and Evan's have stated, the third film would be much further down the line in terms of release date.
>>
>>86422633
>>86422478
Raid 3 with Mad Dog as protag when? Also Rama's done, just let him live in peace with his muslim wife and child
>>
>>86422703
>standalone side story with Yayan Ruhian and Cecep Arif Rahman
My body could never be ready for this
>>
>that samurai film test footage Evan's released last year
>https://youtu.be/ZdrwseAC9Jw
>>
>>86421893
Oh fuck. Didn't even notice.
Versus is fucking great.
>>
>>86419768
OP, NOPE, THE RAID IS THE GREATEST ACTION FILM OF THE NEW CENTURY AND PART 2 IS A CLOSE SECOND!!! I REALLY WISH GARETH EVANS WOULD MAKE THE RAID 3 AND DO IT AS A SPY FILM TO DIFFERENTIATE IT FROM THE SECOND AS THAT DID FROM THE FIRST!!!FACT!!!
>>
>>86419768
r3demption
>>
Its good, but i felt it dragged on too much
>>
>>86423000
>>86422109
>when an action movie is so stylistically great it literally inspires the Devil May Cry franchise

https://youtu.be/kpjrUrGPCM8
>>
How is the Raid 3 gonna play out? Didn't it end with him being straight up dog tired and then the chinks show up?
>>
>>86423208
see >>86422698
Before Evan's interview last year where he said a potential third entry would be "possible, but far down the road" he stated that the plans were to have The Raid 3 taking place 2 hours before The Raid 2 ended, with some other "antagonist."
>>
>>86422703
>Raid 3 with Mad Dog as protag when? Also Rama's done, just let him live in peace with his muslim wife and child
Yayan Ruhian's character in The Raid 2 isn't Mad Dog from The Raid, in case you didn't know (I genuinely didn't on my first watch, I assumed it was the same character and they'd just retconned his apparent death in the first).
>>
File: versus.jpg (29KB, 656x285px) Image search: [Google]
versus.jpg
29KB, 656x285px
>>86423058
god dammit i love this movie so much
>>
>>86423411
>http://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/raid-2-berandal-trailer-gareth-evans/

Gareth Evans refuses to do an action movie without Based Yayan in it and Cecep Arif Rahman (the assassin) was literally trained in Pencak Silat by Yayan
>>
>>86423647
>Cecep Arif Rahman (the assassin) was literally trained in Pencak Silat by Yayan
Holy shit, didn't know this. That's pretty cool.
>>
Don't mind me just dropping this here:

>https://youtu.be/SlT0ceWD5F0
>https://youtu.be/nHX0QGGtSQY
>https://youtu.be/myU_uvjB2lU
>>
>>86423906
I unironically loved Skyline. Had no idea these guys were in the sequel
>>
>>86423906
It's really about fucking time that something like Triple Threat exists, and it has everyone you want in it.
Since there are a bunch of fellow versusfags in here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAgEMsF-U5U
>>
>>86424052
>It's really about fucking time that something like Triple Threat exists, and it has everyone you want in it.
Exactly. The closest we got to an ensemble MA film was the sequel to Sha Po Lang (Jaa + Wu + Zhang) which wasn't terrible, but nowhere near as perfect as the original one was.
That trailer is fucking interesting. Good find bro, I'm honestly hyped
>>
>>86420108
This. Absolutely this. Raid 2 was fucking great but the music just wasn't there. And the characters felt anime as hell. Fights were fucking amazing though. If it had the music like the first Raid then it would have been absolutely incredible.

Also, Iko is so damn likeable. After watching both Raids I went and watched all the other films Iko was in. And they were fun as hell. Also has me excited for these >>86423906
>>
>>86424872
>After watching both Raids I went and watched all the other films Iko was in.
Merantau alone is one of my all time favorites bro. And Man of Tai Chi (although Iko's role was very minimal) was an extremely well made film with top notch choreography. I'm beyond stoked for Triple Threat
>>
>>86425011
Unfortunately I'm not a fan of films wherethe main character dies. I'm a sucker for happy endings. But have you watched "Headshot"? It's pretty great and has a bunch of cool fights as well. Neat movie.
>>
>>86420108
>cheesy anime antagonist gimmicks (savant hobo/hammer girl/baseball bat kid)

>>86424872
>the characters felt anime as hell

I actually really liked that. Berandal abandoned all pretense of gritty realism and just went for straight-up stylistic violence. Hammer Girl and Batman were ridiculous but I loved it.
>>
>>86423411
Wasn't batman in raid 1 as well
>>
>>86425165
>I actually really liked that. Berandal abandoned all pretense of gritty realism and just went for straight-up stylistic violence. Hammer Girl and Batman were ridiculous but I loved it.
I'm just stated it from a comparison perspective. Don't misunderstand me: I loved The Raid 2. It only ran for like 5 days in Oregon and I drove an hour+ north to Portland after reserving the ticket a month ahead of time. It was a masterpiece (albeit flawed) despite what memers will tell you.
>>86425142
Yuda dying at the end destroyed me bro. He busted his ass doing the right thing throughout the entire film and literally gives his life in the process. Dammit, I love that film. As for Headshot I haven't heard of it. Looking into it now, Thanks buddy
>>
Did the son really die at the end of Raid 2? He'd make the perfect Raid 3 protag if Rama's done with it. That is, if his actor knows silat or maybe some SEA martial art like that
>>
>>86425552
Iko's the main guy in Headshot so you'll probably enjoy it.

>>86425703
Didn't Rama fuck him up before leaving?
>>
>>86420108
spbp, both are great movies worth a watch
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.