[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What went so horribly wrong?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 7

File: maxresdefault.jpg (209KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
209KB, 1280x720px
What went so horribly wrong?
>>
>>86410842
He did fly too good
>>
PoC erasure
>>
nobody cared who he was until he put on the mask
>>
>>86410842
He ran out of fuel anon weren't you watching?
>>
Why didn't he bail out of the plane when he was over the water near the British forces?
>>
>>86411151
getting caught was part of the plan
>>
>>86411151
he was too low for the canopy to deploy by then, that's why he opened the cockpit and peered outside for a second
>>
What did he mean by 'I'm Ounhem'
>>
>>86411353
thats his name, Farrier Ounhem
>>
>>86411381
and the second pilot was Hisson Mee?
>>
File: tom hardy-dunkirk.jpg (285KB, 1125x1252px) Image search: [Google]
tom hardy-dunkirk.jpg
285KB, 1125x1252px
>>86410842
The fire rises.
>>
>>86410842
I fell asleep during the entire movie.Was it any good? I caught some occasional scenes of planes flying around daz it.
>>
Why didn't he run immediately to the allied zone after landing... Why was he waiting
>>
>>86411433
Hisson Mee had the misfortune of crashing into the water nowhere near Beuse Fulsur, it's very likely that he drowned somewhere off the coast
>>
Was getting caught by the nazis part of his plan?
>>
>>86411487
he was miles away from the allied zone and by that time the germans were starting to break through
>>
>>86411544
He could have called it in.
>>
Is he the guy who saved world war 2
>>
Can anyone explain why he would shoot a man's plane before throwing himself out of one?
>>
>>86411151
He basically constantly sacrificed himself to save others, he could've just turned back when he was at 15 gallons of fuel (like his orders were) but he chose to shoot down that last bomber. Then he could've just parachuted out of his plane when he ran out of fuel, but he chose to do a 180 and hunt down that last Stuka to save the others. Because of that he was too low at the end to parachute, would just end up killing himself. You can even see him opening up the cockpit and looking down to see how close he really is and then closing it.
At that point he couldn't land on the sea on the left because landing a Spitfire on the water even under perfect conditions is pretty dangerous (as seen before in the film), let alone landing a gliding one with the engine off in wavy water. And ofcourse he can't land anywhere on the right so the only choice was to land on the beach, but since he was way out of the safe perimeter he had to burn the Spitfire so the germans don't copy their technology.

Hope that clears it up.
>>
File: 1491021119022.jpg (8KB, 224x225px) Image search: [Google]
1491021119022.jpg
8KB, 224x225px
>>86411227
>>
>>86410842
Horribly wrong?
It's the best Nolan film in years, every usual Nolan flaw is practically non-existent here (no constant exposition, no overwritten dialogue, no too complex storyline, no poor close quarter choreography), seems like he finally listened to all of his critiques.
>>
>>86411802
For (You) maybe..
>>
>>86411151

He wanted to join the Germans
>>
>>86411802
He should've at least brought his plane home to fight another day. One spitfire probably costs more to the war effort than gunning down a few bombers.
>>
File: 1449840143956.png (62KB, 320x276px) Image search: [Google]
1449840143956.png
62KB, 320x276px
>>86411445
You're gonna burn alright.
>>
>>86412081
Maybe if it was a whatever battle in the middle of the war with, but this is one of the most important evacuations in the whole war, involving not just thousands of soldiers but actual British citizens so sacrificing a single Spitfire in that moment seems like a reasonable thing to do.
>>
>>86410842
I kind of want to see Nolan do a 'Great Escape' style movie with this character now...
>>
>>86410842

The movie was a movie short stretched out. It sucked.
>>
File: battle_of_britain_17.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
battle_of_britain_17.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>86412081
An airframe is nothing - the annoying thing was they lost an experienced pilot. When production ramped up before the Battle of Britain the UK was producing more aircraft than they had pilots to fly them for a long time.

Biggest contributor to the RAF fighting off the Luftwaffe was that it all took place in Britain's airspace. Get shot down by the Luftwaffe? - bail out, land, get back to airfield, jump into a another spit/hurricane, get back up there. Meanwhile the Germans lost a pilot and an airframe every time one of theirs went down over Britain.
>>
>>86410896
>>86410929
>>86411227
>>86411445
You guys are heroes
Movie kicked ass

>thread theme
https://youtu.be/GLUyEXO-jI0
>>
File: mark rylance.jpg (24KB, 350x250px) Image search: [Google]
mark rylance.jpg
24KB, 350x250px
>>86410842
the father was fucking BASED
>>
>>86414583
Rylance is a master actor, he doesn't need no big "I'M ACTING" scene to show it, subtle is key
>>
>>86414583
>a guy you just helped killed your son
>doesn't do anything about it, doesn't confront the cowardly scum soldier
So is this the famous "English spirit"?
>>
>>86415964
It wasn't his son, it was there annoying deck hand.
>>
Apart from gliding around for ages and the early model Spitfires only holding enough ammo for just over 20 seconds of firing, it was pretty good.
>>
>I'll be useful sir!
>makes two cups of tea and dies
>>
>>86415964
It wasn't his son faggot, it's clearly just a friend of his son, a whatever local boy. Also confronting Cillian would only wreck his life and maybe even make him kill himself right there on the spot, he couldn't have changed anything.
>>
>>86411151
Prequel to TDKR
>>
>>86416452
useful for memes maybe
it was kinda powerful to see just a kid going to the enemy, even if just on a spur
>>
>>86416389
http://www.thewrap.com/dunkirk-fact-check-how-long-could-tom-hardys-plane-stay-in-the-air/
>>
>>86410842
he took off the mask
>>
>>86411483
best movie I've seen in years
>>
>>86415964
>missing the point of the scene this hard

Are you a woman by any chance?
>>
>>86415964
He said it himself; the soldier wasn't himself. Berating and guilt tripping an already broken man wasn't going to help anyone. It takes a certain nobility to restrain yourself from lashing out. It's why he nodded approval to his son after the son lied about the boy's condition.
>>
The historical accuracy of the dogfights in this film is about on par with a high noon showdown in a western.
>>
Nolan is a divorced from people, on the spectrum of autism person who can't build a movie that relates to human beings and their emotions. It was dry, boring and even the aviation was done incorrectly.

It was an adolescent retelling of Dunkirk as it was. He's slowly folding in on himself, like the Scott brothers have.
>>
>>86416911
can you link some good documentaries or training videos about WWII air combat tactics?
>>
Is this a "movies that women will never understand" thread?
>>
This was probably the best movie Nolan has made but his shitty direction still brought it down. He's getting better but it was still a movie uplifted by the talented people involved who weren't the director. That made the movie very frustrating for me, there were parts I really liked and parts I really didn't. I think the biggest thing was just how it's a very simple setup -- three stories occurring concurrently, cutting into each other, and Nolan still made it difficult to follow.
>>
I almost felt like I need to drop down right in the theater along with the soldiers when that first Stuka bombing scene came up. I feel sorry for all the torrentfags who will (not) experience it first time on their computers/TV's
>>
>>86417099

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_iW1T3yg80

The morons in Dunkirk started at 500ft. That's Just fucking childish.

There are two main fighter types. Turn and Burn, and Energy Fighters, called Boom and Zoom. Learn about energy in fighter combat, and you will understand Tom Cruise.
>>
>>86413628
Repeat please?
>>
>>86417269
thanks
>>
>>86416686
DING DING DING DING DING
>>
>>86417099

I know you're not there yet, but you need to fly your plane inside its "envelope" of performance. The Spit 5 is a high performance, long chord wing dogfighter. Very efficient against a BF109D in an actual maneuvering fight. A mustang is a high speed fighter that would be more suited to fighting a FW190D-F. Apples and oranges.
>>
>>86417317
he's saying that it's a lot easier to dogfight with 100% fuel in the tank a few miles from your airbase rather than 60% fuel 100 miles away from your airbase
>>
>>86413628

Exactly. Range was everthing during the Battle of Britain.
>>
>>86417269
>links an american video as an example of how a Spitfire pilot should fly
The formation and the altitude shown in Dunkirk is exactly how it happened in real life. The RAF formation was heavily critisized and laughed by the germans because of how stupid it is.
>>
>>86410842
Historical innaccuracy, unlikeable characters with little development and a mixed timeline that messes with structure.
>>
>>86417479

You're absolutely right, they went in at 500ft. To save fuel. I hate talking to teenagers.
>>
>>86417269
>The morons in Dunkirk started at 500ft
The spitfighter was remarkably good at climbing compared to axis planes though.
>>
>>86417540
But they didn't show "the start" , the first shot when we see them they are already relatively close to the enemy so they have to gain a bit of altitude in order to not get completely fucked from above..
>>
>>86417403
There's a total of twenty miles between the U.K. and dunkirk.

The fuel thing is complete bullshit.
>>
>>86411483
>daz it.
4chan is 18+ buddy
>>
>>86417693

Stop sounding like you know nothing about aerial combat. Energy fighters require 20kft, Spits require 12kft to dominate. No asshole flies in at 500ft unless they've already lost their battle and they're ditching.

Stop fucking trying. Jesus.
>>
>>86415964
stick to capeshit
>>
>>86417693

Oh and the follow on, is that you didn't know that planes are less fuel efficient at sea level than when they're at 10k feet.

So you've just fucked this entirely up.
>>
>>86413911
based horrible histories.
>>
I guess if you're fed dogshit you're entire lives, you love dogshit.

Watch Battle of Britain.
>>
>>86418050
t. contrarian
>>
File: Capture.png (60KB, 350x125px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
60KB, 350x125px
>>86417739

Yeah I'm looking at it now. Lympne and Hawkinge were the most likely RAF airfields the Spitfires deployed from, 85 gallon tank specifies a range of ~400 miles.

So even if you only had something like 5 gallons of reserve fuel left you could presumably limp back home.

NOLAN YOU FUCKING HACK
>>
>>86418050
But Battle of Britain has far worse cinematography, editing, sound design, performances, blocking, soundtrack, direction and set pieces? Not to mention that half of the movie is blatant exposition and generic characterizations.
Historical accuracy alone does not make a good film.
>>
that movie was quite boring. why was the music the same neverending repeating crap as in interstellar?

and it should have told an actual story of people or something. the characters are flat and superficial and boring. and what about that shitty admiral? he's like standing there on the stupid pier 24/7.

it should have shown at least some germans, and shown their side, too. it only caters the stupid propaganda myth that was already stupid back then and repeating it today doesnt make it any better. more historical research would have been better.why doesnt the movie tell us why the nazis let them go? why doesnt the movie tell us the luftwaffe btfo'd actually the raf?

the movie has nice pictures, but they are already stale after half an hour. nolan shows us those amazing pictures, but instead of creating a story arc, he's running out of ideas and resorts to repeating the pics over and over again, like some fucking bulimic.
>>
>>86418198
But that range changes significantly if you engage into actual multiple dogfights with heavy maneuvers, shots taken and altitude changes, which Hardy certainly did.
Also yes he could've turned back multiple times, but the point of his character is that he's constantly sacrificing himself just to save more of his fellow brits.
>>
>>86418207

But still more accuracy that doesn't make you feel like you're watching someone's video game interpretation of life during Altertag.

Enjoy your video game effects. I know most of you people don't live serious lives or lives that even touched on the period, but it makes me sad that you can't respect them.
>>
>>86418247
>and it should have told an actual story of people or something
Dunkirk is about the event itself, the characters and their "sweethearts" at home don't matter here at all, it's all about the event itself.

>it should have shown at least some germans, and shown their side, too
Why? Not showing them was one of the best decisions Nolan could've made. The entire film is told exclusively from the british soldiers perspective, and we as the audience, just like those soldiers on the beach, don't see a single german soldier up close. Listen to the actual Churchill speech on youtube, they all just called them "the enemy" most of the times.
Is a "le evil nazi screaming german" close up really that necessary for you? Do you want the usual hollywood nazi propaganda?
>>
Would Hardy have necessarily been treated that badly as a POW? I'd figure dogfighters are considered high-value prisoners.
>>
>>86415964
is this how retarded women are when they watch movies?
>>
>>86418299
I understand the emotional core of Bane's plane but I'm looking for mechanical facts.

I'm trying to find any information about Operational Range vs Radius of Action but I can't find a lot of specifics after 10 minutes in google
>>
>>86417403
you missed the ebin reference there kiddo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXf1bhEEXd0
>>
Guys, is this really happening?

Is there another Nolan film, where Tom Hardy needs to wear the mask almost the whole time?
Again?

What have we done?
>>
>>86418329
I watched and enjoyed Battle of Britain not so long ago, but it has objectively worse execution of nearly every single filmmaking element than Dunkirk, don’t be delusional.
>>
>>86410842
>took off the mask
>landed the plane, surviving
>got caught
left the theater snickering like a retarded motherfucker
memes fucking ruined movies for me
at least there was no "HERR KOMMANDANT, ICH BIN RAF"
>>
The sad part of this movie is that BBC fictionalized documentaries did a better job than Christopher Nolan.

Have any of you watched Foyle's War? The Bletchley Circle, a myriad of others that actually portrayed the battle of britain. It's just so soul sucking listening to the young who don't know anything about it.
>>
>>86418420
>The entire film is told exclusively from the british soldiers perspective,
manipulative one sided stale old propaganda

>is about the event itself, the characters and their "sweethearts"
lame excuse. there was enough stuff for real character building in there, like the french soldiers hating the british for running away, while they had to cover them, and how the french guy killed the british guy for his uniform.
I'll compare it to Das Boot, and those seamen are actually characters ripped apart and growing by the psychological horrors of war.

>Do you want the usual hollywood nazi propaganda?
no. of course not. but not showing at all them wont solve that problem neither. show them how they are discussing killing all brits and then show how they decide to let them go.

>Listen to the actual Churchill speech on youtube, they all just called them "the enemy" most of the times.
that's because they weren't 100%. nolan should have focused a bit more on how churchill was an asshole most of the time. he presents us an insinuation of criticism, but that's all.
>>
>>86418702

They didn't even have Panavision during that movie, what the fuck are you talking about? They were far more concise and accurate. Do you just want eyeball shit to make you happy?
>>
>>86418736
>manipulative one sided stale old propaganda
Where's the propaganda part? What's manipulative about it? They even call them "the enemy", literally zero propaganda, just a truthful representation of the british perspective.

>I'll compare it to Das Boot
Das Boot is all about the characters, the whole first act is them drinking and introducing themselves, while in Dunkirk you're in the actual event from the first frame to the last one. It's no "excuse"

>show them how they are discussing killing all brits and then show how they decide to let them go.
Why? I say again, the film is about being a lost young brit soldier trying to survive on that beach, not a history channel documentary of the whole event.
>>
And what's with that retarded airplane flying along the coastline scene? You could literally see all those modern houses in the background. Doesn't Nolan have a fucking CGI team to edit those out and show us how the beach promenade used to look in the forties?
>>
>>86419165
>truthful
niga what
the movie gives you the impression all the small boats did the rescue while the wikipedia article states the majority was already rescued in normal navy boats.

also:
>showing only your own side in a conflict
>not total propaganda
>>
>>86410842
Ardennes.
>>
Baneposting has ruined my brain and made the movie hard to watch.

>He flew too good
>Crashed planes with no survivors
>Getting caught was part of his plan
>Second to last shot was the fire rises
>>
>>86419165
truthful?
>plane without fuel shoots down other fighter aircraft
>guy sits on a fucking boat wreck bobing up and down and gets rescued
>two kids hide under the pier and no one spots them although the ships railings are full with people
>guy sits behind a wooden door that is sieved with bullets and he doesnt even get a scratch
>they put their fingers into the bullet holes
... truthful, pwahahaha
>>
I want Harry Styles to rape me in that beached boat
>>
>>86419449
>basing your knowledge on a single fucking wikipedia article
You can't be serious. Also in the movie it's shown how most men were taken back with navy boats, the civilian boats helped at the end and most of those were sailed by navy men also (which are also shown in the film)

And you still didn’t say where's the propaganda part, do you even know what propaganda means? Is every "one sided" portrayal of a historic event then propaganda by default? Do you understand how retarded that is?
>>
Is there any particular reason for grouping your soldiers like that? Why not spread them over to minimize casualties to bombs?

Also was planes that rare at that time? And were the land combatants was so effectless against planes?
>>
>>86419758
the movie follows the then-narrative, that it was no defeat, and that they still were heroes. it shows only the british view, and that's one sided and manipulative.
>>
>>86419683
None of your points have any corellation with being truthful to the history of the actual event and all of your points are entirely plausible to happen.
Try again.
>>
>>86419796
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_World_War_II_flying_aces
The top 100 is only Germans
>>
>>86419958
all those are stupid cliches or action flick elements, cheesy to the max, inserted to create a semi-comical relief and to cater to a young audience that expects something like indiana jones.
>>
>>86419892
>the movie follows the then-narrative, that it was no defeat, and that they still were heroes
How? Harry Styles goes on a whole rant on how much of fucking failure and pussies they all were for fleeing and in the Churchill speech they even say that "war is not won with evacuations", but they had a positive welcome back from the people at home, just like it happened in real life. And the last shot is a british pilot being taken as a prisoner by the germans while a Spitfire is fucking burning, not much of a "victory" ending is it

>shows only the british view, and that's one sided
Yes.
>and manipulative
Absolutely not.

You see a one sided portrayal in Das Boot too, why don't you think that film was also "manipulative propaganda" then?
>>
>>86420165
I repeat, your post has nothing to do with historical accuracy.
>>
>>86411151
They expect one of us in the wreckage brother.
>>
>>86419758
>Also in the movie it's shown how most men were taken back with navy boats,
the movie actually shows how all people in the navy boats drown because of german stukas
>>
>>86420196
it's not manipulative, if it were it would not depict how the germans do not help the british on the sinking and burning boat. also now it comes to my mind that Nolan actually stole the idea of not showing any enemy soldiers from Das Boot.
>>
>>86419683
Truthful because it didn't refrain from showing th ugly side of the British soldiers facing death
>>86419892
Nolan's endings are always a little bit ambiguous. the second soldier was certain people would humiliate them. If they knew how he treated the the French guy, maybe they would.
>>
>>86419683
historical accounts of that happening
that was dumb
people are kind of zoned out or preoccupied
lucky
it was either plug the holes or drown
>>
>>86420289
>the movie actually shows how all people in the navy boats drown because of german stukas
Literally only two or three destroyers are shown being bombed/torpedoed, while the brits deployed hundred of them throughout the whole week. There is even that shot of dead faced soldiers on the destroyer going home when old man Rylance goes past them with his small civil boat.
>>
>>86419309
I wish Nolan would get the fuck over himself and use CGI more often, especially to make the beach look fuller.
>>
>>86419717
I want him to manhandle me (to the best of his abilities, he is relatively small) tbqhwyf
>>
>>86421008
they had 36 and recalled all but a few of them after sustaining losses, by the end of the week there were only a handful
>>
>>86410842
Couldn't lead his shots.
>>
>>86419979
Because they started the war (flew the longest) and because the other nations didn't throw their aces to the meat grinder until they died. Americans had their aces teach the new pilots.
>>
>>86411151
because it was a poetic visual metaphor
>>
It takes a certain kinda "man" to find this inspiring. Maybe I'm a coward, so I'm missing the point, but this was well made. I see why the English are such murdering, invading, war mongering fascists; they are raised on this kinda propoganda; from cradle to grave. They never get a moment of contemplation to consider anything but wars. Makes me think of that image of 1 guy not saluting Hitler in a massive crowd. If a Brit were to consider war, invading, & robbing from other people "wrong", he/she would be up against this psychology. A very terrifying, isolating, & trepidatious place to be. Well, once the Royal Family is castrated & hung, in all, Brits might ponder why they ever let those devils turn them all into demons. Till then, they will kill on command, & raise their kids to do te same. Kill The Crown!
Thread posts: 116
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.