[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Inland Empire

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

So what do you guys see in this film?
I'm a fan of Lynch's other films (especially BV, LH, and Eraserhead) but this didn't really click with me at all. Admittedly I watched it when I was tired, but towards the end I just wanted the film to be over. There are some great scenes like the red light, running towards the camera, and the tamborine scene; Dern's performance was fantastic as well, but I don't think it was enough to engage me.
Critics seem to really like it, so I don't understand what was done 'right' in this film, that they thought was done 'wrong' in Lost Highway.
I liked seeing Laura Harring at the end though - why hasn't she worked with Lynch since?
>>
>>86408680
I don't really like lynch because characters suffer and I'm not into that
>>
>>86408792
Pleb
>>
>>86408680
Eraserhead is unwatchable.
>>
>>86408680
I pretty much agree with you 100%
It felt like Lynch was having a bit of a giggle with the expectations of his viewers
>>
>>86409506
Absolutely plebeian! I bet you're one of those people that think jazz is noise.
>>
File: InlandEmpireDontSpeakPolish.webm (3MB, 832x450px) Image search: [Google]
InlandEmpireDontSpeakPolish.webm
3MB, 832x450px
I like most of the individual scenes and the movie can be interpreted in a variety of different ways so rewatching it while thinking about it a certain way is pretty rewarding. I also like how it takes the ideas Lynch first used in Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive to their limits and it feels like it's the most accomplished implementation by Lynch of those ideas while also having an interesting structure that isn't as straightforward as those two earlier movies.

I also really like Laura Dern and the way that music is used in the movie.
>>
I love it, and I think think the reason people shrug it off is because there's so much to take it in. I rewatched it the other day the first time years, and had a realization for myself
Nikki isn't real and is merrily an escapist fantasy for Sue, who is real. And Sue is actually connected to the Lost Girl spiritually, perhaps even her reincarnation (which would makes sense since the other characters are reincarnations, some play different roles than their original life.). The Phantom (the one that isn't in Old Poland) is somewhat of a guardian for purgatory, and is also a reflection of Sue's evil (hence why her face shows up on his with a psychotic grin when she shoots him).
>>
>>86410337
So Sue has an escapism fantasy where she is an actress who is playing herself in a film?
What about Nikki's husband? What about the polish people? What was up with the people in the past - and what is the significance?

It's all just seems like nonsense, and it seems like Lynch wrote it that way. I don't feel there's much to hold onto compared to his previous films. There are simply scenes that are good, and many scenes that don't seem particularly remarkable or memorable.
>>
>>86409889
Those digital standard definition handheld close ups throughout the entirety of the film were so disgusting to look at, especially if you watch it on a big screen
Yeah it's intentional, bravo Lynch I guess.
>>
>>86411507
It was a mass reincarnation, and all of them I imagine are going through the same thing as Sue is, we just don't see that. We also doing know how many reincarnations there's been. All the people in the Nikki fantasy were made up by Sue (based on the people Sue knows) but Sue's husband, Billy, Billy's wife, etc are real people along with Sue, and all of them are reincarnations of the people in the old Poland part of the story. And some interpretations believe that Sue is already dead at the beginning of the story and is stuck in an are between life and the afterlife called bardo. In a deleted scene Sue says that she was 41 years old in 1960 (probably the year she died) but Sue in the movie seems to be in the early 00s so it's possible this isn't the first go around she's had at reincarnating and trying to reach enlightenment.

This is the interpretation that talks about this
http://xixax.com/halfborn/

Jandek, Mr K, two of the prostitutes (or maybe all of them, but two of them help Sue out the most), and probably more people are basically the keepers of this state of bardo and are there to help Sue get over/defeat her inner evil/badness to reach enlightenment. And doing so will also help the Lost Girl out of her purgatory because they're basically the same people. The phantom isn't an actual person with an agenda but is a natural force that reflects evil and "guards" (in some way, though like I said above, it's not a sentient entity) this purgatory the Lost Girl is in, which is more than likely self imposed and not some punishment from an outside entity.
>>
Does anyone have the webm of that Polish guy in the middle of woods? The one that randomly throws his red cup in the ground for no reason and it lands upwards? Thanks.
>>
File: InlandEmpireCup.webm (3MB, 924x500px) Image search: [Google]
InlandEmpireCup.webm
3MB, 924x500px
>>86412101
>>
>>86412128
I got LYNCHED through a fucking twelve second webm damn
>>
>>86412128
Thanks. I've always found this hilarious for some reason
>>
I find it, legitimitely, fun. Which I understand is an odd thing to say but there's this really dense, layered mystery there that is incredibly interesting to make sense of.
>>
watched it probably four years ago? watched it again shortly after a few times

i'm a big lynch fan and i have had a lot of time to digest the film and i can wholeheartedly say that its not a good movie imo
>>
>>86411507
>It's all just seems like nonsense, and it seems like Lynch wrote it that way.
No, it fucking isn't. There is a big misconception that this film had no script, which isn't true. Lynch shot 4 scenes for his website, then came up with a scene that ended up linking them together, then he worked on the script. The only difference between the production of Inland Empire and a regular film is that Lynch didn't have to wait, he could just go out and shoot the scenes as soon as he was done writing them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37J68A6QcKg
>>
https://youtu.be/bL8pN9Cgu2k?t=1h24m41s
Probably the best Lynch has ever talked about Inland Empire
>>
>>86414433
I didn't realize you gave a timestamp at first and thought that he was going to be talking about the movie for as long as the fucking movie. wew.
>>
>>86408680
It's not a film, it's an experience. Plain and simple.
>>
>>86409506
What the fuck
>>
>trusting critics' opinions on Lynch
I love this film, but if it appeals to you, it's basically boils down to the fact that you like getting L Y N C H E D
>>
>>86412128
what the fuck.

Great I tried this and now my carpet has milk on it.
>>
>>86408680
It's kind of hard to sit through at first, between the really long drawn-out scenes and the ugly camera quality. It definitely hits its stride in the middle though. I think it was the scene of the vinyl record spinning and the Polish girl telling Laura Dern to poke a cigarette through silk when I really started investing in the movie
>>
>>86410337
Man, i really think people that are trying to find an actually coherent plotline in movies like MD or IE are just applying their own fanfiction to the blank or ambiguous parts. There is no literal interpretation, it's about tone.
>>
>>86411989
Yea, one of the worst parts of the movie is that it's absolutely hideously lazy in its aesthetics.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.