[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So was it a dream or not?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 11

File: 23123.jpg (84KB, 660x634px) Image search: [Google]
23123.jpg
84KB, 660x634px
I have watched this movie many times and just now I realize that it is all about a dream. Maybe it is because I have always watched it on the television and didn't watch the beginning or didn't pay too much attention to the movie itself and thought it was only an action movie.

Now that I have realize is all about what is real and what is not I think the movie was all a dream. It's very clear in the intro. The director made a good job with the story in the dream because it confuses the viewer thinking that is real with all that thing of the two personalities, etc.

But something that doesn't fit the dream is all of those scenes where Quaid is not present and we can only see other characters planning how to catch him. However it's imposible that Quaid had those fight skills hidden in itself, that's something that supports the dream theory.

So, for me was a dream. Was it right?
>>
File: 23123.jpg (92KB, 900x483px) Image search: [Google]
23123.jpg
92KB, 900x483px
But why Quaid had dreams with the same woman that he later meet in the dream?

Is it to confuse us?
>>
File: 23123.jpg (121KB, 1395x367px) Image search: [Google]
23123.jpg
121KB, 1395x367px
Another thing I don't understand are these faces that Lori (Quaid's wife) and Harry (friend from work) make when they talk with Quaid at the beginning of the movie, when the dream hasn't started. It's like if them know something or are trying that Quaid goes to Rekall.

Is it another thing to confuse us?
>>
>>86282278
Yes it was.

At the end of the credits you hear the theme from the "Recall" machine.
>>
>>86282278
He was simply imagining being Arnold.
>>
I always preferred the interpretation that the entire thing took place inside of Recall, because the ending with the Mars atmosphere and some other things are so ridiculously over the top and unbelievable. If you interpret it this way the movie can really be plausible.
But, someone in another thread claimed there was a bullet-proof tell of some kind that he isn't in Recall. Anyone know what it was? Haven't seen it in a while.
>>
>>86282278
It was inside of recall.
>>
One of the many bad things about the remake was how they made sure that there was no doubt about whether he was in recall early on. Such a boring film.
>>
>>86283136
I have read that the ending with that flash is Quaid getting a lobotomy...
>>
>>86283136
Also, I don't know what music you are referring to?
>>
>Arnold Schwarzenegger wasn't the first pick to play the lead role in Total Recall. At one point, Christopher Reeve, Richard Dreyfuss, William Hurt, and Patrick Swayze were all lined up to play Quaid. In the 1980's, Dino De Laurentiis owned the property and Schwarzenegger approached De Laurentiis to play Quaid, but got turned down. The only reason Schwarzenegger got the part is that, when Dino De Laurentiis dropped the option, Schwarzenegger convinced the studio Carolco to purchase the script with himself attached as the star. He also got unprecedented control over the production, including the option to approve the producer, director, screenplay, co-stars and promotion.

BRAVO ARNIE
>>
File: recallglass.jpg (307KB, 1920x1040px) Image search: [Google]
recallglass.jpg
307KB, 1920x1040px
why wouldn't they make this glass bullet-proof?
>>
“Total Recall doesn’t say whether it’s reality or it is a dream, you know? It’s really saying there’s this reality and there’s that reality, and both exist at the same time,” Paul Verhoeven explained in a Canadian hotel room, the day after the film screened at TIFF. “Because you look at Total Recall there is never a preference, let’s say, taken by me or the scriptwriter, to say this is really what he dreams about and this is the truth.”

“I wanted it to be that way,” Verhoeven clarifies. “Because I felt that it was – if you want to use a very big word – post-modern. I felt that basically I should not say ‘This is true, and this not true.’ I wanted – and we worked with Gary Goldman on that, not the original writers – [and we] worked very hard to make both consistent, and that both would be true. And I think we succeeded very well. So I think of course there is no solution. Hey, it’s both true. So I thought, two realities; that it was innovative in movie language at least, to a certain degree, that there would be two realities and there is no choice.”
>>
One of the techs even calls the scenario they're loading "Blue Sky on Mars"

But it's a pretty shitty ending that way. He's going to remember all this shit, but he's going to know it's bullshit because Mars will still be a barely habitable hellhole.
>>
>>86283666
>He's going to remember all this shit
He's gonna get a lobotomy, Mr. Satan.
>>
>>86283643
They did, but the bad guys bought earth bullets, mars glass stood no chance.
>>
>>86283422
but robots!
>>
>>86283767
nu-robocop also fought lame robots

yay unoffensive and sensitive 2010s zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
>>
>>86283658
I always knew there was something fishy about this movie...
>>
>>86283810
At least Dredd reboot was cool and Fury Road was fantastic.
>>
>>86283616
pay attention to the movie more and you might.

It's the musical jingle that plays right before the recall machine starts.

that same music is played at the very end of the credits. Meaning the entire thing was fake.
>>
>>86283895
dredd wasnt a (((reboot))). and fury road was trash.
>>
>>86283902
Yeah I know the two moments you are talking about but the music is not the same, it's somilar yes.
>>
>>86283968
>fury road was trash
your opinion is wrong
>>
>>86282613
Manifestation of a woman from his subconscious, you absolute nigger
>>
File: stop.jpg (37KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
stop.jpg
37KB, 720x960px
In the end Verhoeven states quite clearly in the special edition DVD commentary that Quaid is indeed on the table at Rekall living out a fantasy. He points out that the imagery on the screen at Rekall show the alien machine, the girl of his dreams that he asked for and a blue sky over Mars. Verhoven points this out as Quaid is going to sleep. When Quaid\Hauser is confronted by his wife & the Rekall spokesman, Verhoven is quick to point out that the spokesman goes on to detail the entire second half of the movie. Verhoven also says that the movie fades to white instead of the normal fade-to-black due to the fact that Quaid is lobotomized by the Rekall doctors at that point.
>>
>>86283632
Shit so basically Total Recall exists because of him... A lot of people underestimate based Arnold, including me.
>>
>>86283632
>want a role
>don't get it
>talk studio into buying the script
>make yourself the star
>make Sharon Stone your hot wife who wraps herself around you at various points
>let your buddy Verhoeven direct because you know he'll make it great
>it's one of the best sci-fi movies ever made
11 points in CHR
>>
>>86284050
And why the woman in Rekall was exactly the same?
>>
>>86284135
But why lobotomized by the Recall doctors?
>>
>>86284273
Get this through your head, you jew muddafucka you. You only exist out here because of me!
>>
File: 1459116413808.jpg (32KB, 189x189px) Image search: [Google]
1459116413808.jpg
32KB, 189x189px
>>86284349
Early on in the film it is suggested that if one's mind cannot adjust to the implanted reality resulting in a Schizoid Embolism, a lobotomy is the only solution. Verhoeven has suggested that if the film is a dream, Quaid may receive a lobotomy, as represented by the white light that ends the film.
>>
>>86284438
Cool thanks. Gonna rewatch right now.
>>
File: un.jpg (118KB, 950x534px) Image search: [Google]
un.jpg
118KB, 950x534px
>>86282278

>I GOT 5 KIDS TO FEED

>TAKE EM TO THE DENTIST

i always lol
>>
>>86282278
Its real
It's the recall dream he paid for
It's a psychotic episode and it ends with getting a lobotomy.

It's all 3 and works (mostly) as all 3 which is why the film is so interesting.

As opposed to Baby Driver's retarded "maybe it's a dream" cop out ending which comes out of nowhere and has no real set up for either way of looking at it so who gives a fuck.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aK3QZmSQB-s

> Be Quaid.
> Have a great house and prime Sharon Stone to fuck all days.
> All of this for being only a construction worker.
> Get bored of your life.
> Want to be something important.
> You can't because you don't have money.
> Go to Rekall to experience a virtual reality life.
> Get trapped in the dream.
> Get lobotomized.

BRAVO QUAID.
>>
>>86284920
>be Arnie
>Have a great house and prime [whoever the fuck you want] to fuck all days
>All of this with the added bonus of being a Hollywood A-lister
>Get bored with your life
>Fuck butt ugly maid just because you can
Verhoeven confirmed for nineties Nostradamus
He even predicted 9/11 in Starship Troopers
>>
>>86285006
>bastard son looks more like him then legitimate kids
kennedy genes are overrated
>>
>>86285006
Nah he was high on coke and drunk on whiskey. He didn't even know what happened.
>>
>>86284518
>COME ON MAYNE, I GOT FO KEEDS TO FEED
>Wat czhappen to nambah faive?
>...SHIET MAYNE, YOU GOT ME
>>
>>86283895
>Fury Road was fantastic.
nah
>>
This is your daily reminder that Arnold isn't some beefy idiot muscleman. He won countless Mr. Olympia contests, other bodybuilding contests, and was known to be a great public speaker in his native German.

When he came to the United States, he was already a millionaire because of his fitness line, sports equipment line, training regimen, endorsements, etc.

His acting isn't horrible, with some notable exceptions. His later career is kind of a nightmare, but despite the fact that his English is a little ragged, he's got a lot of charisma.

He held political office in the Bush (first one) administration as the Chairman of the President's Council on Physical Fitness and Sports, and regularly met with government representatives including the president.

It was only natural that a man with so much push and pull in California and throughout the united states would become a governor
>>
>>86285932
>arnold is successful and charismatic
really made me think
>>
>>86286107
are you implying that it isn't true?
>>
>>86282278
it was a short story.

give a hoot. read a book.
>>
>>86286277
I'm implying you were stating the obvious
>>
>>86286107
but he is
>>
>>86284018
your inability to see beyond your generations programming is your failure, not his
>>
>>86286334
How about read a dictionary, look up 'adaptation' and you'll see why the story has no bearing whatsoever on the movie
>>
>>86282613

he dreamed about her, then he built her to what he wants at recall before going under..
>>
>>86286107

you probably think Trump isn't intelligent either
>>
>>86282613
Remember the line that rekall employee said. Something along the lines of "listen to what you're saying "she's real because you had a dream of her"?
>>
File: 3Homer.jpg (24KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
3Homer.jpg
24KB, 500x375px
he only dreamed that it was all a dream
>>
>>86285932
>When he came to the United States, he was already a millionaire because of his fitness line, sports equipment line, training regimen, endorsements, etc.
Actually, he wasn't. Bodybuilding didn't pay much back then. He had an offer to manage a gym, and that was pretty much it. He didn't have very much money until he started a contractor business with a friend and started selling mail-order bodybuilding stuff. Using that money, he got into real estate and ended up a millionaire after living in the country for less than ten years.
>>
>>86286553
>like the typical pleb he refutes literary sources

time to go back to junior high degrassi
mr rutledge will not pass you in math
>>
>>86285932
Arnie is the main reason we even got Total Recall, he really wanted to work with Paul Verhoven after losing the part of Robocop.
A true kinomeister.
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.