[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Movie Theaters Have a Bigger Problem Than This Summer of Duds

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 323
Thread images: 36

https://www.wsj.com/articles/movie-theaters-have-a-bigger-problem-than-this-summer-of-duds-1502443800

A decline in attendance puts theater chains in a weak position ahead of the industry’s anticipated upheaval

>The summer 2017 season has been defined by big-budget movies that failed to live up to their massive marketing campaigns, from “Transformers: The Last Knight” to “War for the Planet of the Apes” and “The Mummy.” “King Arthur: Legend of the Sword,” which had a production budget of nearly $175 million, grossed $39 million.

>“There are not two studios who agree on what should be done,” said Mr. Aron, adding that he’s taken “emergency meetings” on the issue with Hollywood executives in recent months to get clarity on where things stand.

>No major exhibitor has been immune to the downturn. Regal’s second-quarter net income fell about 30% to $23.6 million. Cinemark weathered the storm better than its competitors, with net income dropping about 5% to $51.2 million.

Hollywood is JUSTing itself.
>>
I haven't heard any normie buzz about anything other than Dunkirk all year, even Guardians wasn't hyped.
>>
people are just getting sick of hollywood movies
>>
MAKE GOOD MOVIES FAGGOTS
>>
>>86229436
>>86229437
The only movie my family has seen these past couple months was Kong Skull Island and Alien Covenant
>>
>>86229437
there was lots i wanted to see but i have kids now and we don't have the time or money to drop on a trip to the movies as things stand
i wanted to see dunkirk, apes, and something else i'm not remembering
>>
Maybe it's because movie theaters fuckin' blow. If you have a 4K tv and a decent sound system, there's almost no reason to go to the theater. You can stay at home in your comfiest chair, have your own food and drinks (and drugs) at regular prices, pause for piss breaks whenever you want, and skip out on dealing with REEEEEing children and normies who won't turn their fucking phones off.

Why would you go to the theater.
>>
>>86229832
even bigger
>>
File: 78723181.jpg (329KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
78723181.jpg
329KB, 1024x682px
>tfw now popcorn will cost $100+
>>
>>86229364
It's because you have to spend a ton for a crap experience. Children screaming, long lines, expensive food and drinks, people won't shut up and turn off their phones in the theater. And then 90% of the time the movie isn't very good. Last thing I saw at the theatre was dead pool (deeply regret cause it was garbage)
>>
>>86229437
this isn't true. independent movies have taken a bigger hit than hollywood
>>
Didn't some chinese billionaire buy the AMC theatre chain?

what a sucker
>>
>>86229537
>MAKE GOOD MOVIES FAGGOTS
gib formula and we will
>>
>>86229364
Honestly. I enjoy going to see movies on Thursday nights before they technically come out. It's much less crowded, I don't have to buy food and shit, and I get to relax and watch a movie in peace.
My normal routine is either making coffee beforehand or buying a coffee on my way, and just sitting back and watching whatever I'm paying to see that week.
It's not an every week kinda thing either, just hen a movie comes out that I actually want to go out and see.
>>
>>86229936
Bigger's not always better, at least where I live. It's bigger than my TV, but also blurrier and washed-out. And if your TV room is laid out properly you should be getting a comparable experience to a theater anyway.

I don't understand how people can say 4K is a meme. For smaller TVs maybe, but on a big panel it makes a world of difference.
>>
>>86230058
Go Thursday nights like i do bruh
>>
>>86229364
Seeing movies in theatres got too expensive.
I'd go out and drink three beers.
>>
>>86229364
Could theaters and Hollywood handle a half decade straight of near non-stop flops like Transformers and King Arthur? It seems like the blockbuster movie format is proving itself to be a disaster.

The only big budget movies that can still bring in crowds are movies made by Nolan and one or two others. Everything else is Star Wars or capeshit and those might not last forever, especially capeshit.

I know Hollywood is stupidly rich but how long could they reasonably afford to keep going on like this? How long until taxpayers are forced to pay for some sort of massive bailout so studios can continue to make shitty movies?
>>
main reason I don't go to movies anymore is because you never know if the audience will ruin the experience for you. I much rather wait for torrents and the occasional BD buy.

I still regularily attend film festivals though, where the audience is actually interested in the films and not flirting/making out, texting, talking or yelling and giggling.
>>
>>86229437
Nah.

If Hollywood wants to save the theatre system then they need to start trying to kill Netflix and other streaming services. People just don't mind waiting for them to hit netflix in 6-12 months anymore.
>>
File: image.jpg (77KB, 1000x671px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
77KB, 1000x671px
>keep turning theaters around me into dinner theaters
>ends up costing more and have to reserve seats online a day in advance
Fuck that noise
>>
>>86230238
>How long until taxpayers are forced to pay for some sort of massive bailout so studios can continue to make shitty movies?
trump would laugh in their faces and mock them on twitter if they came crying to him. he may like jews but I doubt he can abide sucking this hard at basic economics.
>>
>>86230288
What are film festivals worth going to? I've been interested in going to one sometime.
>>
>>86230173
>>86229832
>>86229936
Television has improved more than theaters

You can easily get a 60 to 70 inch high definition flat screen now, whereas when Independence Day or Men in Black or even Revenge of the Sith and Lord of the Rings came out, everyone's home television looked like this - a blurry 24 inch tube
>>
>>86230372
Maybe the great Hollywood crash happens in 2025 and it's president hilldawg and it turns out Hollywood is asking for a $100 billion check
>>
>>86230058
You make it sound like a jungle gym you hyperbolic faggot. Just stop watching children's movies and go after 8.
>>
Nowadays theatres are like a tax you pay for seeing a movie early.

Watching movies in your own home is a much comfier, cheaper and ad-free experience.
>>
>>86230329
That probably won't happen.

When I was a kid I remember it would sometimes take ages for the movie to get from the theater to Blockbuster Video. Maybe they should just flat out say "we're not gonna be streaming this movie for at least a year, so you'd better see it now".
>>
>>86230414
>Hollywood is instrumental is teaching children the morals and values of a modern society, as well as swaying stubborn minds on important issues such as transgender aircraft rentalship rights, and african american communal police executions
>>
>>86230159
Me and my HS buddy used to do the same thing, the local theater was completely empty on thursday afternoons and it was like twice as cheap.
One time we had the whole screening for ourselves, it was that movie about the nigger twins dressing up as obnoxious white girls.
>>
>>86230193
Sunday mornings are the best.
>>
Disney killed cinema
>>
>>86230329
lol has this ever worked? they need to adapt to the current year, they need to offer something unique that you can't get from a steaming service that isn't at a price that feels like robbery. Getting netflix and other streaming services on their side would help too. They could offer original netflix movies before release at a discounted price to netflix members, and full price to non members.
>>
I think movie theater chains themselves have done a good job adapting to new changes, offering premium reclined seats and reward memberships

However, Hollywood has several problems:

Making shitty, cgi-filled, soulless movies with no point
Hollywood elitism, celebrities preaching politics, pushing agendas
Not adapting to changes in technology from competitors, streaming services like Netflix
No original content, the original content that does get created gets left to die/unmarketed
>>
File: 1490670495050.png (3KB, 171x158px) Image search: [Google]
1490670495050.png
3KB, 171x158px
>>86229364
>oy vey the goyim to not like our shitty movies and propaganda anymore
>>
>>86229832
I go to the theatres so that I can be surrounded by strangers in an air conditioned space with comfy seats and a new movie and no distractions instead of being at home and having to worry about other tasks I have to do that day, streaming taking too long or wifi taking to long, and being completely alone with my feelings and thoughts.
Movie theatres are great experiences and escapes.
>>
>>86229996
ROBERT! Get back to your post? And who is this nubian angel beside you?
>>
>>86230329
Netflix is killing themselves with that massive debt.
>>
>>86230896
as long as they continue growth then the debt means little

yeah it's probably not a good idea to rack up that much debt but if it's allowing them to grow through acquiring IP's, expanding infrastructure, making new hits, etc. then it's totally fine
>>
Burn. Burn. Burn. Only time I went to the theater in the past 16 months was to see Shin Godzilla. No movie that will be easy to see in a few months is worth it, plus I wanted to support Toni with my money instead of stealing from them. I have no interest in more or less any movies that come out today but even if I did I would still just wait and pirate them. The crowd is never worth it. People chewing, laughing, talking, using phones. You can even hear them breathing. The last time before Godzilla was when cinemark was showing 2001 and I almost walked out because this young tumblry looking couple literally started having sex during HAL's death. Slurping, giggling, squishy noises and moans. I nearly climbed over the seat and beat them to death. Movies are best experienced completely alone.
>>
>>86229832
Only reason I went to theaters as an adult is because it's the only way my friends wanted to hang out. Pretty depressing.
>>
File: flopkino.jpg (358KB, 1528x720px) Image search: [Google]
flopkino.jpg
358KB, 1528x720px
>these high quality films ALL flopped just this week, costing Hollywood tens of millions of dollars
What the fuck is wrong with audiences?
>>
>>86230954
That said I also don't have cable or Netflix or any of that shit. And I don't buy dvds or blu rays. Only physical media I have is VHS. I pirate everything I watch, definitely the way to go
>>
>>86231002
/pol/ pls
>>
>>86231002
>AYO WHERE THE DEVIL AT
>AYO WE GONNA FUCK UP DETROIT
>AYO WHERE MUH KID AT
>>
>>86231002
>taken with boobs
>movie where the only good part were the two leads
>actually good movie but released at a poor time and will only increase racial tension

probably a good idea most people didn't see them
>>
>>86229832
One of the theaters in one of the nicer zip codes in town totally renovated all their theaters. They cut waaay back on the total number of seats per theater and put in these fuckhuge reclining seats with giant armrests between them. They're really comfortable and nice. Obviously my couch is comfortable too but a big action movie isn't quite the same at home.
>>
>>86229364

>from [sequel] to [sequel] and [reboot]

"WHY IS THIS HAPPENING?"
>>
File: 1502408397244.jpg (50KB, 450x338px) Image search: [Google]
1502408397244.jpg
50KB, 450x338px
What will happen to Robert?
>>
>>86231182
he will go back to selling bootleg DVDs at some walgreen's parking lot
>>
Movie theaters suck. They're dirty, everything is too expensive, watching a movie with 100 other obnoxious people is no fun and the movies themselves aren't all that worthwhile. Especially compared to what you can get at home with the rise of streaming and television shows only getting better and better.

My favorite movie last year was made by fucking Amazon.
>>
Local theaters seem to be doing way better than the chains, at least in Oregon where I live.

Pros to small theaters I've been to (about half a dozen now)
>nice staff you get to know
>comfy chairs, oftentimes they're sofas and recliners
>better food and more reasonably priced, they'll sometimes bring it out to you quietly
>cheaper ticket prices ($8.00 compared to $12.00-$14.00)
>staff tends to actually fix problems with projector or lighting

Cons to small theaters
>Not as many movies at a time (Like four at a time)
>Fewer showings per day

Pros to big theaters
>more showings and at more times
>more movies at a time
>easier to get a middle seat because larger theaters

Cons to big theaters
>loud, obnoxious audiences
>high ticket prices
>food is more expensive yet worse
>>
File: 1472591618836.jpg (207KB, 1916x800px) Image search: [Google]
1472591618836.jpg
207KB, 1916x800px
>>86231288
>My favorite movie last year was made by fucking Amazon.
Semen Demon?
>>
File: 1479735852268.jpg (106KB, 375x1322px) Image search: [Google]
1479735852268.jpg
106KB, 375x1322px
>>86231336
I liked that one but liked Manchester by the Sea more.
>>
>>86231408
oh shit i forgot manchester by the sea was an amazon production, it was my favorite as well especially since i've been to the town
>>
>>86230058

Absolutely this. Saw Valerian last saturday and people had brought their kids who on and off were making various kinds of mouth noises, my favorite being

>Mommy, is it over soon?

This was about half way into the film.

And another wonderful thing that happened was that apparently I obscured the view of the person sitting behind me and they felt that the best way to resolve that problem was to kick my seat until I stood up and asked them to stop kicking the seat.
>>
>>86229364
>make only sequels, prequels, spinoffs and all that shit because of muh market studies
>people get sick of your lack of originality and turn to reasonably original/interesting tv/internet productions
>???
>JUST
>>
>>86231728
stop going to movies at 3pm you manchild
>>
>>86230137
they should start by trying to be a bit original instead of just doing anything that's an "established brand". You gotta take fucking risks if you want to be successful, trying to cut out risks by doing stuff that's already established and measurable in market studies is what's killing hollywood.
>>
I'm hoping audiences are getting tired of Hollywood schlock. It's encouraging that Spider-Man: Homecoming is on track to be the worst-performing Spider-Man movie ever (it could possibly beat TASM2 but that pretty much depends on China now, and given how many rips will undoubtedly be available by the time it comes out there, they probably won't); perhaps moviegoers are finally getting bored of the same trite plot lines and unsubtle propaganda being thrown into their faces.
>>
>>86231789
People would MUCH rather do better things like call each other names on twitter!
>>
>>86231728
I went to see It Comes At Night and there was a group of black people behind me freaking the fuck out anytime there was any tension that might lead to something scary. So most of the movie.

It was a shit movie anyway but it's the principle that counts
>>
Maybe they should make something original, a sci-fi franchise that isn't boring capeshit or psuedo capeshit or young adult shite?

When was the last time we actually got that? Interstellar? before then it was probably Inception lol
>>
>>86231772

It was a 7pm screening you fucking cretin.
>>
>>86231777
Oy vey get dis antisemite outta my office, we can't take risks!
>>
>>86230619
>>86230669
Sundays are pretty good, especially with regal since its half priced tickets with the regal card.
But I like Thursday nights because its much less crowded, and I only go to see movies on "opening nights". Get to see it before everyone else does, and get to enjoy the movie without a shit load of teenagers and kids talking during the movie. Nobody but someone from /tv/ would have the dedication to go see a movie late on a Thursday night.
>>
File: boid.gif (999KB, 250x251px) Image search: [Google]
boid.gif
999KB, 250x251px
>why wont audiences come to see the 10th capeshit film released this month alone!?!?
>we just don't know
>>
File: Donald_Trump_Pentagon_2017.jpg (486KB, 732x1008px) Image search: [Google]
Donald_Trump_Pentagon_2017.jpg
486KB, 732x1008px
People are just talking about and doing political shit all summer instead of reading or consuming any entertainment media. It's pretty sad.
>>
>>86230519
>ad-free experience
>ad-free experience
>ad-free experience
>ad-free experience
>ad-free experience
FUKKEN THIS

lately theaters around here are showing ads even after the supposed starting time, when for all of existence the unwritten rule was that at the official showing time lights go out and you only show trailers and then the film itself. Makes me REEEEEEEEEE everytime I go to a multiplex.
Thank fuck we have an actually based cinema which doesn't show ads and has reasonable popcorn prices. They even show movies on 35mm and even 70mm. Now THAT'S something you can't have at home.
>>
>>86231855
Riddick isn't capeshit
>>
stop making reboots and sequels and marketing every film at the millennial/nigger generation then you jewish clowns
>>
waaaaah why are people getting bored of capeshit and reboots and every other unoriginal CGI action shitfest???
>>
>Be Hollywood
>Call 63 million Trump voters and many more supporters Nazis
>Wonder why they aren't paying for your propaganda
>Double down on calling them Nazis
>>
>>86232001
>>86231950
>making films that don't sell
someday you'll want money
>>
>>86230519
Shit, the theatre I go to has recliners, decently priced food, and tickets are between 5 and 8 a pop depending on the time I go and which movie. It is so relaxing.
>>
>>86231856
should've gone later ye manchild.
>>
If you pay to watch capeshit or reddit franchises like F&F you deserve a slow and painful death
>>
>>86229364
They can't even keep the fucking things clean. Why should I pay to sit in a soda, food, jizz stained seats to watch a shitty flick?
>>
>>86230745
>No original content, the original content that does get created gets left to die/unmarketed
This so much
>>
>>86231934
I sure do love the 5-minute long sappy commercials from banks or coke before each fucking movie, or the long-ass sappy car commercials where young couples go mountain climbing or surfing or camping with their car.

Of course that's BEFORE the "funny" commercials and then the long, sometimes sappy and sometimes featuring talking-fucking-popcorn or Sally Seatkicker ads from the theater themselves that segue into the trailers before the movie. Yep, the theater is just the best!
>>
>>86231917
Its not the rest of the world's fault america is a never ending circus freak show.
>>
>>86232034
Not him. Did you not read the OP? Are you retarded?
>>
File: im in your airspace.webm (2MB, 1280x544px) Image search: [Google]
im in your airspace.webm
2MB, 1280x544px
>>86232071
Don't compare Fastkino to capeshit
>>
>>86232148
Those Mr. Clean commercials have really stepped their game up.
>>
>>86232034
Explain Lionsgate then. With a few exceptions, most of their movies are very reasonably budgeted and don't have to be huge blockbusters to make a profit.
>>
>>86232135
Unique films sell even less, that's why they aren't made
>>
>>86232148
How much of this was CGI?
>>
>>86231855

The last middlebrow action franchise was The Matrix and that was like 15 years ago
>>
>>86232148
Why not? They appeal to the same demographics, they're soulless boring CGI shitfests with nothing to offer anyone with an IQ over 90
>>
>>86232071
>i hate fun
>>
>>86232240
>capeshit
>fun

hello my neckbearded friend. change your cat's litter box today?
>>
>>86232218
I thought Fury Road was ok
>>
>>86232177
what are some good lionsgate films
>>
Interstellar aside, what was the last film you went to see because you hoped it would provide a sense of awe and wonder?
>>
>>86232240

it's not fun when you've already seen it before several times. I mean, if you're 30 now, you were 13 when X-Men came out and since then it's just been an increasing barrage of those kinds of films, expect they are getting increasingly less interesting barring a few exceptions like Logan that clearly saw that the genre is getting very saturated with "fun".
>>
File: 7603620427425026.jpg (35KB, 795x327px) Image search: [Google]
7603620427425026.jpg
35KB, 795x327px
>>86230137
The problem IS formulas. Every fucking trailer with the same garbage schticks. Every film screen tested and mangled to death, and coherent vision is no where to be seen. Everything is memed out and quipped up. Everything is a template. Fuck it just let it all burn
YEA I'M MAD
>>
>>86232177
>Explain Lionsgate then. With a few exceptions, most of their movies are very reasonably budgeted and don't have to be huge blockbusters to make a profit.
Amazon is even cheaper. For The Wall they probably didn't even put up 100k for the movie set. It's literally a bunch of tubes, cranes a container and a rock wall. Budget: 3mill.
>>
>>86229364
Cinemas should die. It's because of them that I have to wait months before I can see new movies.
>>
>>86232374
Star Wars 7, Rogue One, Dunkirk

Star Wars 7 delivered, or it did initially. On rewatch I realized the problems and got a lot less enjoyment out of it.

Dunkirk managed to do it for me second time around.
>>
>>86229996
They are putting in a bar with overpriced beer and cocktails at my local one.
>>
>>86232374
Star Wars TFA wasn't the strongest movie but it was pretty great in theatres
>>
>>86232374
Fury Road
Kubo and the Two Strings
Dunkirk

Can't say I was disappointed either.
>>
>>86232374
Voyage of Time: The IMAX Experience. Had to drive to a museum in LA to see it in all its celluloid glory, and it was completely worth it. Never have I felt so small in the universe yet simultaneously in awe of its beauty and design.
>>
>>86230390
My rich uncle had a large projection tv.
>>
>>86232318

Fury Road is a movie that doens'ät belong in our era. There's so much CGI in cinema today that nothing in FR is visually impressive even when it is all practical effects simply because your brain just assumes that it's CGI.
>>
>>86232374
Inside Out. It lived up to my exceptions with flying colors.
>>
>>86232426
>>86232447
>Star Wars
>awe and wonder

fucking hell
>>
>>86231002
I'm actually surprised, I thought black people flocked to movies with black leads out of respect
>>
>>86232511
You have an opinion, that's cool
>>
File: 24165706_640.jpg (30KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
24165706_640.jpg
30KB, 640x360px
>>86232108
You sound like a tommy texter
>>
File: 1498622951226 copy.jpg (30KB, 1024x422px) Image search: [Google]
1498622951226 copy.jpg
30KB, 1024x422px
>>86231002
Clearly we need to impeach that racist sexist Trump. For the good of cinema.
>>
>>86232527
kill yourself
>>
>>86231002
>THIS SUMMER
>IDRIS ELDA
>IS
>THE DARK TOWER
>>
>>86232572
nope

I plan to live for a long time

I will enjoy the original star wars trilogy and there's nothing you can do about it
>>
>>86232555
Why must ameriniggers constantly bring up their politics? Go choke on some McDonalds you faggot
>>
>>86232590
dont blame you, but star wars 7 never offered awe and wonder lol
>>
>>86231336
Weird. I don't remember that scene in John Wick.
>>
>>86229936
could just get one of those HD projection screens
>>
>>86229437
Last movies I saw were X-men Origins, A-Team, and Paul Blart around 2010. I disliked A-Team
>>
>>86229364
Clearly more movies about plucky minorities defeating the evil white males will fix it.
>>
File: Girls-Trip.jpg (23KB, 267x400px) Image search: [Google]
Girls-Trip.jpg
23KB, 267x400px
>>86232513
This movie sucked up the entire valuable "OH NO SHE DIN'T" audience

Really though, black audiences in general don't seem to enjoy films with themes of misery or ennui. They probably get enough of that shit IRL.
>>
>>86232374
Man child detected. That kind of films don't bring in older people. Only based Jim knows how to make films for everyone. Titanic is a great example.
>>
File: 1502360880408.jpg (190KB, 534x550px) Image search: [Google]
1502360880408.jpg
190KB, 534x550px
>>86231917
>/pol/ is killing movies
>>
>>86232513
niggers still buy bootlegs at their hair salon/barber shop's parking lot
>>
>>86229364
>The summer 2017 season has been defined by big-budget movies that failed to live up to their massive marketing campaigns, from “Transformers: The Last Knight” to “War for the Planet of the Apes” and “The Mummy.” “King Arthur: Legend of the Sword,”

even normies are sick of garbage reboots, how is telling hollywood to fuck off a problem?
>>
theaters lost their glamour with people throwing their popcorn around and laughing and talking at inappropriate moments during the film
i'd rather watch a shitty 480p yify rip than go to the theaters
>>
>>86231893
>>why wont audiences come to see the 10th capeshit film released this month alone!?!?

Capeshit is doing great.

It's turning every other movie into capeshit is whats killing movies.
>>
ITT: degenerate ameritard problems
>>
>>86232649
>They probably get enough of that shit IRL.
you're right, but that's everyone. life is so fucking miserable now and a HUGE amount of people were redpilled on how goadawful human beings are through the election.
>>
>paying a third of the price it would cost to buy the disk to see it ONCE with no rewinding, pausing etc
>have to watch it in public with many other people who have the potential to be loud and obnoxious
>in order to eat you have to pay extra for shitty theatre food that's just popcorn, soda, and sweets
>on top of all that you also have to watch up to ten minutes of ads
Gee, I wonder why people don't like going to the cinema...
>>
>>86230137
Stop hiring from an incestuous pool of primarily Jewish screenwriters and directors. There's plenty of good stories floating in script hell because it doesn't fit the mold of "what they want to make".
>>
i only used to go to the movies with my family but since they're gone now i don't really have any reason to continue
>>
>>86231917
I can't believe real life is more entertaining than the movies. I didn't think the sequel to the 2016 election could have been better, but it was.
>>
>>86232726
>anything Trump related
>entertaining
>>
I remember when that fucking retard Spielberg or (was it Lucas...who cares) said that one day American films would be like a night out at the opera or the ballet or a live sports event in terms of cost and as an affair. Like people would be wearing formal attire. Spare me the jokes about falconries and crab legs, but the American movie theater has been ground into millet as far as I'm concerned. It's the spectacle of last resort as far as I'm concerned. Patrons don't know how to conduct themselves. Movies are trash on the whole. I'm relieved. Hopefully Hollywood goes fully belly up or expatriates entirely to China. The end
>>
>>86232726
that wasn't real life, just a television event for news networks
>>
>>86232746
maybe you should just sit down and have some covfefe
>>
File: 1500832669858.webm (2MB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
1500832669858.webm
2MB, 720x540px
>>86232148
An 80 ton tank going end over end on a flat surface is about as believable as pic related.
>>
would i want to go to the theater when I already have a home theater system and big screen TV?
>>
Police should honestly crack down on illegal media distribution.
>>
>>86232781
He's using pressure points though
>>
Dunkirk has brought back hope for cinema to me. No home system on the planet can recreate that 70mm analog IMAX experience ever.
A true "experience", not just media consuming.
>>
>>86232696
in LA the average ticket price is like, $18. 3d is about $21, and if you want to go for the 4DX experience, it's about $25.
>>
>>86232787
I feel the same way. More money would probably be made offering single viewing in itunes or sony cuntsuck or whatever months before a proper digital and dvd release
>>
>8k screen
>7.1 sound system
>can bring whatever cheap snacks and drink whatever the hell i want
why would i go to the movies?
>>
>>86232787
I would go to the theater if they implemented a sushi bar.
>>
>see hot new movie I want to see
>no time now but later
>ok now I have time
>it's already on Blu Ray

That's what's really killing theaters. Movies are getting their home release incredibly fast these days.
>>
>>86232148
>everyone claps
>hooting and hollering
>>
>>86232787
>>86232876
I don't know about you anons, but I don't have a 2 ton IMAX analog projector along with the 98 feet high screen right at my home or a living room with perfect acoustic treatment and a sound system with multi-thousand watt amplifiers and speakers even behind the screen which has microscopic holes throughout for the sound to get through.
>>
>>86230852
This. I like watching movies at home and everything but a 70 inch 4k at home still doesn't even come close to the theater atmosphere imo. I like previews too. Also my nieghborhood is noisy as hell
>>
>>86232954
>woman beats up men
WHOOOOOOO!
>>
>>86232979
>OH HELL NAW

DATS RITE!!!!
>>
>>86229832
Faggots with their goddamn cell phones are the death of theaters to me.
>>
>>86232693
>two scoops
>>
>>86231067
This.

Nobody wants to see crazy Halle berry in anything, or a terribly reviewed long delayed Stephen king adaptation. Detroit will be on amazon prime by end of the year, so I'll wait.

Streaming has allowed people to wait for non-event movies.

Only the mega hyped films will see impressive turnouts.
>>
File: IMG_4712.png (1MB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4712.png
1MB, 750x1334px
Hollywood sealed it's fate when they abandoned Pauly Shore
>>
>>86233035
Holy shit, this is it. I can handle many things during a movie but people using their bright-ass cell phones in a dark room instantly pisses me off. Can you seriously not live without your smartphone for TWO HOURS? You can turn that shit on the second the credits roll and the lights come up. You won't die.
>>
>>86231408
Hvad sker der her? hvorfor er han så smug?
>>
I love how Hollywood's ultimate solution is to maybe release their capeshit on Netflix a week after it comes out in theaters, rather than just making movies that aren't low brow, derivative shite
>>
>>86232374
Why do so many people suck off Interstellar when it was probably Nolan's worst film?

>"We have to move into space because there's a blight! But we can't solve some ill-described gravity problem and until we do we're fucked! So fly through a wormhole!"
>have to fly a rocket into space from Earth, but just use a space RV for the remainder of the movie with no fuel problems at all
>"Haha gravity problem was fixed all along we were just joking! :^) "
>everyone moves into space
>blight isn't fixed and plot point isn't resolved all but it magically goes away because love or somesuch

A simple exploration movie would have been better.
>>
>>86233144
>Can you seriously not live without your smartphone for TWO HOURS?

t. brainlet disconnected from reality with no friends
>>
>>86232374
I hoped for a good animated Japanese folk tale and got awe and wonder from Kubo. Too bad nobody else went to see it.

Can't remember the last time I actually had expectations for a movie that wasn't some weird exception to the norm, i.e. Nolan's Dunkirk. I think around the time Disney announced how many movie and TV shows they were going to make after Avengers broke $1billion is when I gave up completely on expecting nice things from Hollywood.
>>
>>86233144
>You won't die.
But it will be extremely painful
>>
>>86229594
That's all I've seen this year too. I couldn't give less of a shit about anything else coming this year, aside from Apes, but I'm going to wait on home release for that.
>>
>>86229364
maybe they should stop making the same formulaic shit over and over and take some risks
>>
File: dalai-lama-laugh.jpg (35KB, 483x322px) Image search: [Google]
dalai-lama-laugh.jpg
35KB, 483x322px
Only poor people and stupid normies go to a theater. I feel sorry for those without a 60+inch 4K tv and 5.1 surround sound. In high population suburban areas they're like baby sitters while mom go fucks tyron in the burger king bathroom stall. around the corner. Even if a theater was immaculate with a perfect screen that was properly maintained and audio that wasn't distorted without a sticky trash covered floor nothing good gets a wide release anymore other than a few rare gems but it's typically trash for mouth breathers.
>>
>>86230896
Yeah but losing all the Fox stuff did hurt them & losing all the Disney stuff will be another hit
>>
>>86233035
Phones, noisy kids (and their shitty parents who won't shut them up), and niggers who can't stop talking are what killed it for me. I will at least give the Alamo that, they will straight up kick you the fuck out for any of those offenses.
>>
>>86231777
Except when they do an original idea no one pays to see it
>>
>>86229364
Please more antiwhite
It will surely be good for your business
>>
>>86230896
They keep giving massive budgets to shows that only take up bandwidth.
>>
File: sad kitty.jpg (19KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
sad kitty.jpg
19KB, 480x360px
>>86233128
Why won't they let him be a star anymore, like he was for 2 years, 40 years ago?
>>
>>86233334
>>86233334

Original means "not in the pile of scripts they already own".
>>
>>86229436
And even Dunkirk is a relatively soft hit for the hyoe it has. It is doing well for a WW2 movie, but not the kind of business the critical reception would make you to believe.
>>
>>86233050
>Point Break-in
>Loot Locker
>Zero Darkies Near Me
>>
>>86233186
You couldn't grow anything on Earth anymore or something. That was the problem. So they needed to find another planet to live on. People are so fucking fixated on that line about love transcending time and space but it's basically just a "moral of the story" line and has fuck all to do with anything concrete that happens in the movie.
>>
>>86233228
Capeshit is like a bag of Doritos. You know exactly what flavor you're going to get, and after you're done consuming it, you're not going to feel particularly good about yourself.
>>
>>86232599
>McDonalds
it's Mickey D's you faggot
>>
>>86233427
>>86233427

LOL you are a moron. LOVE is the magic of the Nolan Universe you stupid fucking idiot. Without love he wouldn't have been able to survive or contact his daughter and the future humans would have never existed which means nothing we saw would have happened since they would not have been guiding him on his journey. Watch it again and pay attention.
>>
>>86233427
Who cares? Even Nolan probably knows the plot was retarded. It was just an excuse to make an IMAX space ride.
>>
>>86229537
Make me
>>
>>86233229
Do you have perfect acoustic treatment in your room with your setup? Do you have no neighbours and sound isolation so you can put the volume high like it is mixed and intended to be heard?
>>
File: badsanta02.jpg (44KB, 840x766px) Image search: [Google]
badsanta02.jpg
44KB, 840x766px
>>86232599
>>86233469
>mfw McDonalds doesn't have an all you can eat buffet
>>
>>86233509
Love isn't magic. It is supposed to suggest there's a world/dimension outisde of ours that we don't understand. It was meant to provoke awe and wonder in a pseudo intellectual way.
>>
>>86233509
He gets sucked into a time paradox loop thing. The future evolution of humanity (that is made possible by him saving them) create that tesseract as a means for him to save humanity, which will in turn evolve and create the tesseract for him to save them. Maybe you should pay more attention when you watch movies rather than tune out after hearing a line you think is retarded.
>>
>>86229364
If anyone wants to actually read that article, but can't because of the paywall:
http://archive.is/t3uxN
>>
>>86233427
People focus on that line because it's trite and expendable. It's fun to pick on because the plot itself was never actually resolved, or was resolved off-screen. The "blight" as described was just any other pestilence caused by over-farming and plant species becoming susceptible because of it. The problem was that they described it jumping species of plants and killing everything, meaning it was anything other than a normal blight, and then they never fixed it. It just goes away, because reasons. Also, the gravity equation being solved the whole time was an extremely lazy cop-out. Also, what was Anne Hathaway's character going to do with the fetus vending machine? Stuff them up her vagina one at a time?
>>
>>86230518
Not him, but years back I was watching some political thriller which I can't remember, and there was a literal retard in the theater. They had him posted up front and center in his wheel chair and this kid would just yell out incomprehensible babble randomly throughout the movie. The lady sitting next to him (presumably his mother or caretaker) did nothing to stop this disruptive behavior.

Another time I saw one of those Underworld movies and some fucking dumb bitch brought her baby. A baby.

More recently I saw Don't Breathe and there was a group of obnoxious basketball Americans behind me giggling and giving commentary.
>>
>>86230064
Independent movie are even more gay than hollywood movies. What ppl are tired of is the sjw agenda being more important than anything else in movies nowadays.
>>
>>86233560
>watching movies for the "experience"
>not watching for the well crafted plot
You're the exact type of mouth breathers movie studios cater to yet you think other people are the problem. Pottery
>>
>>86233636
I haven't watched the movie since I saw it in theatres but the blight affects shit on earth. Why would some disease that kills plants follow them to another galaxy? Just because things aren't spelled out doesn't mean it isn't a resolution.
>>
There's nothing special about going to a movie theater anymore. There's no arm room, the chairs are uncomfortable and everything is expensive. The only thing I like about movie theaters is the giant screen and they usually keep it cold.

I can turn the lights off, have popcorn, candy and if I do have to go to the bathroom, I can pause the movie and not miss a thing. All that without the spending so much money.

The question is, how do you get people to want to go to a theater?
>>
>Super expensive popcorn
>If you want the best experience you better shell out an extra $20 for comfy seats, a properly sized screen and sound system
>WHAT ARE YOU TOO POOR FOR A $80 TRIP TO THE MOVIES!?

All this combined with lackluster and formulaic movies that refuse to take risks and the fact the quality of TV series at home have increased by leaps and bounds... it's only natural this would happen.

I can't imagine Hollywood is too worried, however. Foreign sales have been their bread and butter for years now.
>>
>>86230383
festivals=80% gay or liberal propaganda movies
used to just be a tolerable 20%
>>
>>86230137

>Movie trailers all give the plot away. If they don't give the plot away, they all look the fucking same
>Movies themselves are all unoriginal cape shit. Baby Driver was the last movie I saw in a cinema and it was definitely fun but calling it original is a huge stretch.
>At this point, producers aren't even letting the writers use "skin the cat", they're just giving them a fill in the blank template that they write words into
>There are too many fucking unoriginal hacks in hollywood with zero artistic talent that have far too much power over people with talent. No great movies have ever come out of focus groups.
>A retarded mouth breathing public full of man children and nostalgia fags that's allergic to original ideas. Why didn't Sicario, Valerian, Edge of Tomorrow or Pacific Rim get any love? Because they were too "weird" for mouth breathing normies.
>>
>>86233700
>watching a visual medium for the "well crafted plot"
holy fuck you are one special turboautist

Why even bother watching them then? Why don't you just read the script or the plot points on IMDb?
Go watch your precious Tarantino you plot driven surface-level filthy manbaby casual.
>>
>>86233660
lel reminds me of this downey dude that rides the train sometimes, he just starts insulting people out of nowhere and listens to music loudly like a nigger would, people are even scared of looking at him in case he notices them and starts insulting them.
It's a surreal scene.
>>
>>86233560

Yes. I have neighbors but live on half an acre with proper distance between houses throughout the neighborhood and a large solid fence. I can do whatever the fuck I want on my property you faggot.
>>
>>86233700
>being such a pleb that you tolerate substandard video and audio

I have a 60 inch 4k but i'll still watch big budget movies in IMAX for the experience.
>>
>>86233636

Another retard that didn't pay attention. The problem lead to mass soil erosion which killed off the upper layer of the soil which is where almost all biological activity takes place. They don't explain that last bit in the movie but it makes sense if you're not a retard.
>>
>>86233660
When I saw Life a family came in wheeling a kid in a wheelchair whose head was leaning to the side and he was making gurgling sounds. I don't know why they felt someone like that was fine in a horror movie. He wasn't as annoying as he could have been but every once in a while he'd make some gurgling noises.
>>
>>86233660
Time for segregated showings by race, gender, and class.
>Woman's only showing
>No talking/cellphones showing
>Audience Commentary Showing
>Cam-rip Production Showing
>Blowjob with GF Showing
>Tweet and Watch Showing
>Nap Showing
>No kids showing
>40+ Only Showing
Etc.
Why didn't jews come up with this? I bet you can make bank doing this. I'm patenting now.
>>
File: 193948438.jpg (7KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
193948438.jpg
7KB, 250x250px
This may sound ridiculous but I think Hollywood should start making better films.
>>
>>86229832
I go for films shot in IMAX and/or 3D, the way I can't watch them at home. Also if it's a director I really like.
>>
>>86233817
Well I'm glad you can enjoy yourself properly anon. Don't know why the defensive "faggot" namedropping.
Hope you have a properly acoustically treated room where you play your films for the best possible intended experience, if you're too lazy to search how to do it yourself you can call in an expert to do it in no time, it's not that expensive and it's done in one day and you'll hear a massive difference immediately.
>>
>>86233793
>>86233841
t. Triggered Brainlets. Classic movies were all about the plot. That's why they were fucking good and memorable. The "experience" is why every capeshit is forgettable. Remember Avatar? Probably not. But most people remember what happens in Titanic and T2. Visuals and Sounds tell the fucking story. You're not just there to look at pictures and listen to music. If not, why not go to a art gallery or put your ipod on.
>>
>>86233720
>Why would some disease that kills plants follow them to another galaxy?
What exactly do you think they're eating? What do you think they're farming at the end of the movie on the space station? Crops from Earth. They never explicitly cured it, meaning it would follow them into space, meaning a major plot point went resolved off-screen through magic.

>>86233873
Even if that were the case, which it isn't, the blight is explicitly considered a virus, then the simple solution would be to dump birth control on Africa and Asia and force their populations to drop rather than causing humankind to go extinct because they're too lazy to wrap it up.
>>
>>86234090
Perhaps they managed to get a stockpile of seeds and the disease only affects the actual grown plants. Perhaps it only affecting grown plants is because the disease is in the soil. There's plenty of ways to get it to suspending disbelief territory.
>>
>>86234065
>Titanic and Terminator 2
>"classic movies"

Holy fuck, imagine being such an ignorant brainlet.
won't even give you (You)'s anymore because you're either an underage millenial who can't enjoy most films released before his birth year or an actual mentally challenged turboautist who thinks people watch films like 2001 or Stalker "for the plot". Hope you get out of your extremely surface-level phase of watching films in the future.
>>
>>86234296
What kind of rage-artist thinks T2 was bad? Even Titanic was high quality. I don't get spazes like you.
>>
File: 1502381360067.jpg (47KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1502381360067.jpg
47KB, 1280x720px
>>86229364
It's the age of the internet and netflix. Kids grow up without going to the cinema anymore. It's just not a thing like it used to be. Why bother going to the cinema when you watch it at better quality at home?
>>
>>86234296
I wanted to stick with the Cameron theme faggot. Yes they are classics to most people. Maybe not your faggot ass contrarian tastes. Stalker and 2001 are story driven retard. Their pretty pictures tell a plot. If you're talking about themes and symbolism, then Tarkovsky is going to turn over his grave and put his foot up your ass. Other more popular classics like
Casablaca
Lawrence of Arabia
Bridge Over the River Kwai
etc.
All fucking plot driven. I guess since you can't watch them in theaters with 8K and ear shattering surround sound, you can't enjoy them any more. Perhaps TDKR is more your speed.
>>
File: l04he.jpg (27KB, 399x385px) Image search: [Google]
l04he.jpg
27KB, 399x385px
>>86229364
Hollywood kikes on suicide watch hahahaha.
>>
>>86234584
>bridge over the river kwai
*colonel bogey march intensifies*
>>
File: image.gif (531KB, 450x228px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
531KB, 450x228px
>>86231934
>go to see War for the Planet of the Apes the other week starting at 7:45 PM
>ads for tv shows start around 7:20 PM
>movie previews start around 7:45 PM
>movie doesn't fucking start until 8:20 PM
>literally 1 hour of straight ads between movies
They don't even do those stupid fun trivia bits anymore
>>
The sound in theaters is insanely too loud. Has normal hearing become so rare?
>>
>>86232696
>in order to eat you have to pay extra for shitty theatre food

We would always resort to hiding our own snacks in my mom's purse, but some theaters in the past couple years have actually started having their ticket-takers check purses. Fucking bullshit.
>>
What I've seen in theaters in 2017 so far:

Split: A+
John Wick 2: A+
Get Out: A
Logan: B+
Kong Skull Island: A
Life: D+
Ghost in the Shell: B-
Guardians 2: A-
Alien Cov: C+
Wonder Woman: A-
Mummy: B+
Baby Driver: A-
Spiderman Homec: A
Dunkirk: B-
Valerian: C-
Atomic Blonde: D
Dark Tower: C+

So overall it has been a pretty good year. We like the theater for the experience and best popcorn. I try not to pirate movies (just music)
The decline in hollywood quality has made us drop our attendance. We used to see something every single week. Less than half that now.
>>
>>86234505
I never said they were bad, but to name those two films first when you say "classic films" is quite indicative of someone's limited taste.

>>86234584
The visual narrative is what matters, the written narrative should be just plot point to be told visually. Tell me what part of the plot do you enjoy in the 20 minute docking sequence in 2001? What part of the plot do you enjoy in the 5 minute railroad ride? The plot is here merely just a device for the actual "plot" to be delivered through the visuals and sound.
And I don't even understand your argument. Most of those films you mentioned work far better in a cinema than in your home. 2001 pushed the cinema experience, Lawrence of Arabia pushed the cinema experience, Bridge Over the River Kwai also. The experience of any of those films is objectively worse if you watch it on your computer than let's say a true analog 70mm screen.
>>
>>86234860
Most normies ruin their hearing by constantly going to concerts and playing music on their headphones/super loud speakers.
>>
I saw an ad for a fucking Youtube Red movie about a youtuber coming out as a tranny at the Lego Batman Movie, I swore off theaters for a while.
>>
>>86234861
Put your crab legs in the sleeves of your jacket. Don't get caught tho, they will beat you with them.
>>
>>86232696
Why would you even eat there? Jesus Christ, Americans.
>>
>>86234921
Damn, Atomic Blonde wasn't that good huh?
I was kind of hoping it would be John Wick with hot chicks.
>>
File: dfas.png (48KB, 984x679px) Image search: [Google]
dfas.png
48KB, 984x679px
>>86229364
I haven't been to the cinema all year.
>>
>>86235066
Different anon here, some of them actually have full restaurants installed in them now and the seats have comfy recliners.
Unfortunately it's more pricey and you have to reserve seats ahead of time but it's decent if you're going for a movie in IMAX.
>>
File: image.jpg (29KB, 305x365px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
29KB, 305x365px
>>86235122
>bland live action remake of a beloved disney cartoon is the top grossing film of the year
I'm not angry, just disappointed.
Kind of funny how Wonder Woman is still losing to those minions though.
>>
>>86229364
>ITT: all these Monday morning quarterbacks not factoring in ticket prices+rise of pirating+rise of streaming and just blaming it all on fatigue
>>
>>86235243
>bland

Wut
>>
>>86234928
that's a fair indictment
>>
>>86235243
Wonder Woman is the only film on that list that isn't a sequel or a remake/reboot.
>>
>>86235099
That's what I hoped too since the director directed a few uncredited scenes from wick1. In all fairness, Atomic Blonde gets good for a bout 10-15 minutes in the middle. A nice long camera shot with good fight and uncharacteristically cogent plot advancement. Like someone completely different took over mid movie and then left.
>>
>>86235122
Five of those movie were good.
>>
>>86232746
Yes, he is entertaining
>>
>>86234928
My point is plot is king. All other things serve the plot. If you disagree then w/e, don't really care. People watch films for different reasons. But well crafted plot is what makes a good film from a bad one.
>long sequences have no plot
The plot is it's fucking docking realistically. "Plot is a literary term used to describe the events that make up a story or the main part of a story." Plot is things happening in a logical sequence. When things aren't logical, they're called plot holes. So when modern directors pick big visuals over making plot or characters logical sense, it turns out to be shit.
Just watch trailers and see what they're trying to sell you to know if a film is plot driven or "experience" driven like a theme park ride.
>Avatar
>come watch the CGI lush jungles of an alien planet and battles between future humans vs native ayys in 3D IMAX
Vs
>Terminator
>Super robot sent back in time to kill future human resistance, sometimes theres some shooting and action
>>
>>86235498
Which 5?
>>
>make good original movies
>lower prices on tickets, drinks, and snacks
>>
This is being caused by America's hard shift right. The Red Shift cannot be stopped. Real Americans are sick of every tv show and movie being filled with non stop liberal propaganda.
>>
>>86235554
GotG2
WW
Spoderman H
Logan
Kong

Not perfect movies but good. Those other five are shit tier
>>
File: agreed.jpg (83KB, 500x600px) Image search: [Google]
agreed.jpg
83KB, 500x600px
>>86235684
this
>>
>>86229364
>There are not two studios who agree on what should be done
Can't they all just watch Sony and do the opposite?
>>
>>86232880
Cinemas should operate like Yo Sushi
A conveyor belt goes in front of all the seats with food on it, you pay 30 bucks for all you can eat and the film
>>
>>86235835
>make films with small budgets
>stop pushing for cinematic universes
>don't insult your audience in marketing
>stop relying on sequels and reboots
Holy shit, this is a pretty good strategy
>>
>>86232781
I remember doing this to a Sherman back before peace times. You millennial faggots don't know anything.
>>
>>86235511
>The plot is it's fucking docking realistically.
But it can be told in a single line in a script, while Kubrick made it 20 minutes long in the film. Same as for the 5 minute railroad scene in Stalker.

I disagree that the "plot is king", the writing is just as equally important as any other filmmaking element.
Film is a visual medium. the narrative is only one element in the whole filmmaking process and every element should compliment each other.
If a movie has a mediocre/extremely simple story but is executed well in all the other elements it will still result in a good movie (some recent examples like Fury Road, Sicario, Dunkirk)
But if the narrative is the only good element in a movie it will never ever result in a good movie, period.

And I don't know why you keep mentioning Avatar like that's some ultimate "visual" film, while it's just a technical showreel with empty pretty pictures.
>>
>>86231934
Really? Here in Bongland we always allow nearly half an hour for ads + trailers.
>>
>>86236089
Fury Road is not a good movie.
>>
>>86232498
dude what, fury road looked incredible
>>
>>86236151
Truth
>>
>>86232374
Prometheus. It did not deliver.
>>
>>86233128
>>86233365
this is up there for worst JRE podcasts
>>
>>86236089
>Fury Road, Sicario, Dunkirk
Wow. I knew and told you you are a fucking brainlet. Those are garbage movies for the sole reason I stated. SHIT PLOT, all spectacle. I'm done spoonfeeding a literal retard.
This should be required reading for /tv/ https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poetics_(Aristotle)
He figured it out 2300 years ago. Out of 6 main elements of drama, look where he ranked "spectacle."
>>
>>86234541
based Todd Howard poster I'm gonna buy Skyrim 4 now
the reality is that video games are way more compelling to young people than movies are and they're becoming more story driven, fuck even multiplayer games like shitty overwatch and league of legends have lore attached to them that autists like to argue about even though it doesn't affect gameplay at all
>>
>>86231002
People were burned out after Planet of the Apes.
>>
>>86236089
>single line in the script
I said I was done, but I want to prove you're a brainlet retard who doesn't know wtf he's talking about.
http://www.archiviokubrick.it/opere/film/2001/script/2001-originalscript.pdf
Page 10-11.
Go back to watching your shit flicks. You have no taste, and no idea what makes a good film from bad.
>>
>>86234928
If they improved the look of the bots in Transformers, AND made the fights watchable...they still wouldn't be worth watching cos of the garbage plots and dialogue.
>>
>>86236461
Yes, Sicario sure is one hell of a spectacle movie anon, bravo nice argument.
>>
>>86236497
Vidya is in decline too. The most successful storydriven game in the past couple of years was a fucking crash bandicoot remaster
>>
>>86232374
Pacific Rim.

Kaiju vs Mecha it was supposed to make me feel good.
>>
>>86229364
>Cinemark weathered the storm better than its competitors

Because it's the one theater chain around me that does not offer a shit experience.
>>
>>86236461
Sicario isn't much of a spectacle pal.
Let's take a film like Paterson then. it's literally a film about a normal bus driver and his everyday life. Extremely simple story, but it's a great film because of Jim Jarmusch execution. Or are you now going to say Paterson is also a "spectacle"?

>>86236756
I said "it can be told in a single line", not that it is. Also one page is pretty fucking short for a 20 minutes sequence, isn't it?

>>86236771
Yes, because Transformers have no visual narrative, it's all just visual noise.
My point is that it isn't all just about the script, you can take the same exact script and take it to 5 different directors and you'd get 5 completely different films. It's all about the visual narrative.
>>
>>86236791
>>86237055
>unironically like Sicario
Are you both retarded? Don't need to answer. They whole movie was just so they can make like 3 action sequences. The Juarez one, the Tunnel Night raid, and Mexican Brad Pitt doing Sam Fisher. The plot made no fucking sense what so ever. Why the fuck would they need a female FBI retard so they can "technically" operate on US soil. The plot was crafted by like a Michael Bay. Yeah, basically it was a better shot Michael Bay movie. Except, Bay made a better film in the same style. It's called 13 Hours.
>>
>>86237055
>concise writing is bad
Wtf does that have to do with plot not being king? You can write it as long or short as you want by adding details.
>the ship docks
>the ship docks while it spins
> the ship docks while it spins with the earth in background
These are all plot details. Visuals simply serve the plot. How the fuck can you suggest otherwise? Plot serves the visuals? That's how you end up with BRAVO NOLAN and Dennis Retardvue
>>
>>86237313
You focus on the action sequences, I focused on the exploration and representation of the grey moral are inbetween right and wrong, like most earlier Villeneuve films are (Polytechnique, Incendies, Prisoners)
>>
>>86237421
2001 would never be considered as "one of the greatest book ever" if it was just a book. But as a film it is considered as one of the greatest films ever made, because of Kubrick's execution.
Actually I will extend this argument even to books. Actual great writers are not considered great because of their "well crafted plot" but because of their prose and the way they write, just like you enjoy a great film because of the way it is executed. In paintings also, it's not about what they paint but how they paint.

Watching films for the plot exclusively is extremely surface-level and ignorant, if you asked any of your favorite directors (even your precious Cameron) they would agree also. Tarkovsky is probably the best example, he plays with time and dreams in such a manner that he fully utilizes the visual medium to such a degree that you simply can't just retell the plot of any of his films to anyone and the other person to grasp what the film is about, they literally have to experience it.
>>
>>86232813
>this vase has cracks, and is leaking water at a commensurate rate
>arrest guy who noticed the leaking water
This is your argument faggot
>>
>>86237055
Brilliant fight choreography would be visual narrative. But if it's punctuated by a fart joke and the fight was over which robot gets to hump a cement mixer, that's shitty unless you're doing comedy/parody. If you had a very tense plot with believable motivations (which have to come from the script) then an unwatchable fight clearly hurts the movie, but the film as a whole should still hang together. Like how Nolan did the best Bat-movies despite shakycamitis.
>>
>>86238195
Probably the most retarded ass post I've read here in a while.
>>
>>86233509
>LOVE is the magic of the Nolan Universe you stupid fucking idiot
Bullshit. memes are the magic of the Nolan Universe
>>
>>86237437
You can't tell a morality tale without plot. Holy shit. Get it through your thick millenial skull. Plot is king. Plot is king. Plot is king.
There's no grey area between right and wrong. Only corrupt people and reddit brainlets think there's a grey area. Justice is absolute. People's actions however are not. Dennis did a horrible job using the fish out of water female protag. Josh Brolin was just CIA Alonzo Harris. This was a shitty remake of Training Day.
>DUDE LOOK HOW WE HAVE TO DO BAD THINGS TO FIGHT BAD GUYS
>hella epic
Moral ambuguity is the pussy's way out. Only hack directors like Villevue think this is deep. Don't make me post the Dishonest pasta.
>>
>>86233194
He's right, you're all adhd low i.q impatient worthless sacks of shit who need to keep checking your shit phgone to see if those 300 friends you don't really know remember you exist because you're an insecure emotionally undeveloped pungent queef barely capable of digesting a colouring in book.
>>
>>86232108
I can tell you're a Canadabro since all Cineplex does is show commercials for cars, Coke, and banks
>>
>>86233186
Not him but he said hoping for awe and wonder, which is what I did. I ended up getting a mediocre movie but at least it looked promising
>>
>>86237775
>Plot, a logical sequence of events
Is superficial
>Visuals, the superficial representation of things
Not superficial
>Prose > Plot craft
Flowery language > original story. Not superficial.
>dreams can't have plot
Really made me think. I feel sorry for you, you've been memed by /tv/ retards into thinking "film is a visual medium." KYS
>>
>>86238593
I never said anywhere "without" the plot, I am only saying that the plot is equally important like any other filmmaking element.
Also please don't tell me that you exclusively like films with clear oh so evil bad villains and heroic brave protagonists. Atleast if you care about stories that much you could care about something atleast somewhat more intellectually challenging than the usual overused good/bad writing cliches
>>
File: thisthread.jpg (14KB, 455x302px) Image search: [Google]
thisthread.jpg
14KB, 455x302px
>>
>>86238738
Are you just memeing me hard right now? I have a tough time anyone would write something like this unironically and seriously.

For my amusement, please tell me what medium film is if not visual.
>>
>>86238891
Ur a fag lol
>>
>>86229996
God damn it Robert
>>
>>86232754
I'm surprised that Americans have such a big problem since here in Canada (Winnipeg specifically) I have literally never seen someone use their phone or speak louder than a whisper or have a crying baby, and I go to the theatre about 15 times a year
>>
File: basedsteve.png (317KB, 567x608px) Image search: [Google]
basedsteve.png
317KB, 567x608px
>>86239021

I live in a city of about 90k in the states. No problems at the theater either.

>mfw $5 matinees before 4pm in the Summer
>>
>>86238925

Have him go back in time and tell Hitchcock too.
>>
>>86232361
They made a fortune on Hunger Games and Twilight, they make different stuff, from The Expandables to American Psycho.
>>
>>86239114
my theater has $5 tuesdays and thursdays, every seat all day, plus a 2nd run theater that shows movies, about 3 months after release for $3
>>
>>86232513
theater tickets are expensive. like 15$ per person. niggers don't have that kind of money.
>>
>>86232781
why didn't the GI joe movies have over the top shit like this?
>>
>>86229364
I live in the u.P in michigan my areea about 85,000 in the county, swells to about 120,000 in the summer. Have t o trevel 2 hours away just to watch a movie. Theatres are killing themselves
>>
>>86238925
Last I checked, film uses sound also. Don't be a retard. The only people who use the line "film is a visual medium" are people who want to excuse their shitty flicks for having shitty plot, or contrarians who want to feel special about their elite obscure experimental avantngarde bullshit. If you say that anywhere in RL, you'll look like a turbo autist and get laughed at. Film communicates visually and audibly. But the experience and emotion you might get is more than that.
>hurr durr semantics
>>
>>86239326

Tuesday here its $5 all day. I think that pre-4pm $5 matinee applies to everyday but I'm not 100% sure. Non-summer months it goes up to $6.
>>
>>86239479

Not him, but if anyone looks like a turbo autist and contrarian ITT its you
>>
>>86239479
I clearly expressed my thoughts that sound is equally as important as any other filmmaking element, you just barged in talking about what the term "visual" means.
Atleast I hope you just came in, if you're the same "Plot is king" anon then you're an actual mentally challenged autist.
>>
File: 2.jpg (310KB, 1200x630px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
310KB, 1200x630px
>>86233933
Nah bro. Misogyny, racism and piracy are to blame. In that order.
>>
stop making nothing but shitty propaganda films, lazy comedies, and capeshit
>>
>>86240834
It's all your fault.
Because you fuckers pirate EVERYTHING and by not paying to support what you really want to see in theaters studios have turned to literal millenial kids and the foreign (mainly chinese) audience who do pay for tickets so they can brake even.
You are the reason why we have so much degenerate capeshit being pumped out of Hollywood right now.

Hollywood made great films in the past when people payed and have shown support to films they like financially, so studios kept making quality films with quality directors and writers so people keep coming back. Then torrents came, people stopped paying for films no matter the quality and the studios have started taking literal who no name directors/writers to make films for as little money as possible for the rest of the audience who are still paying for it, the chinese and millenial kids. Now we're fucked.
>>
>>86240032
>>86240329
>Refer to one of the oldest piece of classical literature on drama
>get called retard, autist and contrarian
Alright m8. How many great literary works on cinema and drama have you produced?
>inb4 Aristotle is wrong
Alright brainlets. Agree to disagree then. There's no saving you.
>>
>>86241078
But you refered to it in the most retarded way possible. You refered to it because of your "spectacle" point, and I then pointed out how your reference doesn't make sense when Sicario is surely not a spectacle film. I even mentioned Paterson as a film with an extremely simple story, but a great end result because of Jarmusch great directorial capability and execution, and you didn't touch upon it at all.
Atleast refer to Aristotle appropriately my dear amigo friend.
>>
I work in the film industry in Los Angeles and not even I go to theaters as little as possible. I'm immediately on edge for some fucker talking or on their cellphone, and every movie I've had to go to this year has had exactly that. My coworkers always look at my like I have three heads when I tell them how much I hate the theater experience.
>>
>>86229364
All the movies from the last 4-5 years feel super generic. The same kind of layout to the progression of the story and constant shitty quips. The biggest problem though is that they don't bother to flesh anything out. They spend all their effort on flashy effects and the storyline but the actual characters and world building are totally disregarded.

The only movie from the recent years that really stood out to me was Interstellar.
>>
>>86241282
Feels good not to live in degenerate america.
>>
>>86235360
Oddly enough it IS capeshit though. Not arguing with you or trying to sound cuntish but it's depressing to think about
>>
>>86231022
This and if I wanted the group atmosphere I'd just go to a stream/chat site to see a flick I might be interested in.
>>
>>86230137
Here's the formula.

No CGI - use practical effects for everything.
Original story - i know this is hard but i want something new.
Don't rush the fking director.
>>
>>86241031
Except i pirated every movie before 2006 since i was a poorfag and now i go to the cinema whenever there's a chance of anything good.
But i've stopped doing that now since there isn't.
>>
>>86229996
ROBERT YOU FUCK
>>
>>86241502
>No CGI - use practical effects for everything.
Literally every film made in the last 5 years uses cgi. You're a fucking idiot who's easily convinced by buzzwords you don't understand
>>
File: Random_ae63ec_5556306.jpg (60KB, 597x403px) Image search: [Google]
Random_ae63ec_5556306.jpg
60KB, 597x403px
>>86231848
Find a theatre without nigs.

They ruin any movie.
>>
File: Decreasing_Whiteness.png (14KB, 241x307px) Image search: [Google]
Decreasing_Whiteness.png
14KB, 241x307px
>>86241800
Try living in a white country you subhuman American faggot
>>
>>86241078

You referring to Aristotle is not why you are the turbo autist ITT kiddo
>>
>>86241767
And that's why they all suck moron. Practical effects look much more aesthetic.
>>
>>86241862
t. Nigel Mohammed
>>
>>86233186
>probably his worst
It was definitely his worst and by a significant margin and I really do appreciate his work.

It starts at the spinning space ship trying to match the spinning station module towards the end and goes off a cliff of incoherence highlighted by 'aliens did it' to explain all the shit that doesn't make sense.

The scene where we see the artificial ecosystem was pretty cool.
>>
>>86241887
Name a good film made after 2005 which only uses practical effects
>>
>>86242013
>aliens did it
So you didn't watch the movie.
>>
>>86242028
Nightcrawler
Zodiac
>>
>>86234921
>Spider-Man: A
>Guardians: A-
>Wonder Woman: A-
>Dunkirk: B-

Why is your taste so fucking bad?
>>
>>86242363
He's a Capeshit fag, that's why.
>>
>>86229364
Stop brownwashing, forced diversity, and forcing black/white romantic leads when in reality B/W couples make up less than 1 percent of the couples in America and are extremely rare. In movies they are like 40 percent. In Disney movies more like 80 percent. Just stop pushing your agenda and entertain us and we will go to see movies again.
>>
I would go to the movies, but my city unironically has a no singles policy
>>
>>86242028
Dunkirk
>>
>>86234921
What shit taste you have.

YOU are the reason the fucking Jews keep making shitty movies, as they KNOW dumb fucks, like you, are going to throw your shekels at them regardless of how derivative and shit they make their films.

Just kys already.
>>
>>86242837
I said good you illiterate idiot
>>
File: 1502049824009.png (79KB, 563x517px) Image search: [Google]
1502049824009.png
79KB, 563x517px
>>86231288
>television shows only getting better and better
>>
>>86242028
Prisoners is kino
Thread posts: 323
Thread images: 36

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.